Sign in to follow this  
Guitar

Straightening a Wooden Mast

Dingy mast, 14', don't know what kind of wood. Slight bend. How can I straighten it?

More backstay.

• Like 1

If above not an option, rig some sort of a jig to hold the mast such that you invert the bend. That could be strapped between trees, or just held over some sawhorses. Doesn’t have to be complicated. Keep the mast set in your jig for a few days, then take it out and check see if the bend is straight. If not, rinse and repeat. 

Just stick it in the boat and plant the flowers. It will straighten itself!

Clearly, steam bending, err, straightening.

Strip all the varnish off , set it up with an opposing bend, put some warm water over it, then cover with some damp towels and plastic for a few hours. Hopefully after drying out properly when you release the straps inducing the bend it will be a lot straighter.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:58 AM, Sail4beer said:

Just stick it in the boat and plant the flowers. It will straighten itself!

She's really in too good of shape for being a year round planter lol. "Free boat" situation developing. 

Gold Country, eh?  My neck of the woods.   Hmmm.  is the mast hollow, or solid?  Is it a glued up mast?  I think I understand we are talking about a pretty small stick. If it is valuable enough, you could split it on a bandsaw and Gflex it.  That would take very little time and give you a nearly perfect mast if properly clamped.  

On the concave side, make a cut about halfway through (with a chainsaw) and bang a wedge in until its straight. When it's straight trim the wedge and varnish it. 

Dont do that^

14 foot boat? 

Go to Home Depot, get a pressure treated pine 2x3 in 12 or 16 foot length, whatever length your pole currently is. Install.  Gang and glue a few together if you need it taller. 

*Pressure treated.*  The regular stuff will rot and warp.

You're welcome. 

Gang and glue a few together is why I suggested splitting with a bandsaw and Gflexing.  One cut, one glue joint.  But for sure, the solutions are many and simple.