jack_sparrow

THE VG IS FOR PUSSYS - THE FIGURE OF 8

This guy takes off today from le Sables on a figure of eight RTW via the poles ( Le Sables to NW passage and around Antartica ie 2 Cape Horns) and home.

It as IMOCA 60 faithful to the rule as can be, except where it has been strengthened etc to handle the ice. Has a 3rd daggerboard to protect the keel.

Much heavy than a Open 60 ie front sections 45mm solid and balance in cored twin skin small watertight sections. Some weird crushed volcanic rock melted and turned into fibre thing instead of carbon. Has yield/flexible properties and won't explode like carbon when he starts plowing ice.

http://www.ant-arctic-lab.com

IMG_20180727_163131.jpg.684a31955fdece9902678a8990888433.jpg

IMG_20180727_162437.jpg.89699077ad52fbeb9f81e275378a706b.jpg

This will at least bring some nice footage of a racing boat in the arctic. Hope for drone footage.

8 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

The launch is now and I am unable to figure out how to watch it. Or track it. 

Very, very easy: http://yb.tl/ant.arctic.lab

Embedded here: http://www.ant-arctic-lab.com/

Seems like the challenge is to get to and through the NWP soon given how relatively late it is in summer already?  Crapshoot there with ice...

Not trying to troll or anything but won't that put him on the Bering sea and northern Pacific ocean in the late fall or possibly winter?

Not a very good time to be there.

32 minutes ago, See Level said:

Not trying to troll or anything but won't that put him on the Bering sea and northern Pacific ocean in the late fall or possibly winter?

Not a very good time to be there.

You think it'll take 3+ months to get to the other side?

3 hours ago, ASP said:

Where's the start of the "other side"?  South of the Aleutians for sure.  South of Oregon?  South of Baja hurricane season?  

4 hours ago, ASP said:

Mostly upwind, quite possible to be 3 months to get back to lower latitudes, say lat 38 or so.

12 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Very, very easy: http://yb.tl/ant.arctic.lab

Embedded here: http://www.ant-arctic-lab.com/

Seems like the challenge is to get to and through the NWP soon given how relatively late it is in summer already?  Crapshoot there with ice...

Thanks, Jud. I was poised and ready to watch the start from before the launch until well afterward and spent an hour trying to find the tracker on the web site, and never found any video or pics of the launch, even on Facebook. Has anyone? 

If he were coming from the west (to east) it is often better to wait until August to enter the Beaufort Sea. I think the same is true of Resolute  Bay in the east. We have had an extremely warm summer all over Alaska including the north and northwest coasts and while there will be ice in the Beaufort regardless, if he can get to the Beaufort in September he should be okay, especially in this boat with its super hull and its available horsepower. The days will be much shorter and I don't envy him going through in the dark, even with sonar and any moonlight, with the visible and non-visible ice bergs. 

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Where's the start of the "other side"?  South of the Aleutians for sure.  South of Oregon?  South of Baja hurricane season?  

I would definitely want to be out of the Beaufort by the end of September. Headed down through the Bering Sea in October. It's not going to be worse than the Southern Ocean. 

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

Thanks, Jud. I was poised and ready to watch the start from before the launch until well afterward and spent an hour trying to find the tracker on the web site, and never found any video or pics of the launch, even on Facebook. Has anyone? 

Wasn't live. No has some Pre-Start and Start pics up on his FaceBook page. Seems to have two trackers imbeded in web page. One is a Yellowbrick but doesn't appear in YB App race list. Both work for me.

This stuff is all onboard. He clearly has no appetite for freeze-dried.

FB_IMG_1532936971176.jpg

^^^This is hilarious! My kind of guy (no freeze dried). 

So, Jack, is the web site posting (or going to be) any info about the race as it progresses other than the tracker? I have listened to/watched all the videos and scoured the web site and can't deduce that info. But I am technologically challenged...So it may be there.;)

I did download the "sailing data" but it is gobbledegook. The Log has interesting info. And route is useful. Spoiled by VOR Raw content and emails. 

37 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

So, Jack, is the web site posting (or going to be) any info about the race as it progresses other than the tracker?

No idea. That said the whole thing being French centric I'm sure some Froggy SA lurkers here can keep us informed.

Good thread name Jack !!!  Like it.

I think he can try for the circumnavigating Antarctica record while he is about it.

Distance to finish 32, 600 nautical miles.

It hurts to think about it.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Lighter than a VO65.

Comparing loaded weight, sure. Dry weight the VO65 should be same or lighter.

VO65 is supposed to be 12.5t dry. (first edition weight, never got updated)
Norbert said ~14t at the start. ~700kg stores.

Lets hope that they get their media game on now that the start party is over..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vorticity said:

For those of you into sea ice forecasting, here's a useful site based on satellite microwave observations:

https://seaice.uni-bremen.de/sea-ice-concentration/

The NW passage is still socked in, but melting fast.  The other way around is almost open now, but might run afoul of the Russian "toll booth" for passage through their waters.

Thanks for the sea ice forecasting site

He should not be entering "Russian waters". 

5 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Thanks for the sea ice forecasting site

He should not be entering "Russian waters". 

If he does he is very lost.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chasm said:

Lets hope that they get their media game on now that the start party is over..

This is not a high budget program save for the platform/boat and all their energies have been directed at getting him out of le Sables so not to miss the NW Passage ice window where he already on the edge as to getting through with no drama with the options up there ...the media bit will take a while for the shore team to massage up is my guess now that he is away.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:44 AM, DtM said:

Good thread name Jack !!!  Like it.

I think he can try for the circumnavigating Antarctica record while he is about it.

DtM who has that record noting the Australian girls recent attempt went tits up when she lost her rig, though she did complete but with a stop in Cape Town??

Fedor Konuykhov in 2008. The rule is you have to be below 45 degrees south the whole time.

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Fedor Konuykhov in 2008. The rule is you have to be below 45 degrees south the whole time.

I believe he averaged approx 4.5 knots in his 'open' 85'

Boat was refitted/prepared at PSY in Falmouth and for the run he started from/to Albany.

Famous Russian adventurer Fedor Konyukhov and his 28m yacht 'Trading Network Alye Parusa'

You are right about Albany but I think the record is taken as the complete circumnavigation below 45 degrees South.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This is not a high budget program save for the platform/boat and all their energies have been directed at getting him out of le Sables so not to miss the NW Passage ice window where he already on the edge as to getting through with no drama with the options up there ...the media bit will take a while for the shore team to massage up is my guess now that he is away.

Norbert now has a couple of posts on his Facebook page and each has a photo. He said in response to a message from me that  he would be posting many photos and occasionally a video. For those who don't have FB (I only joined a couple of years ago for stuff like this, to see family and friend-posted pics,  and to PM people who are in remote places and can't get WhatsApp, and I don't post anything  at all on my page myself, no personal info either etc) Norbert said he had been in 50 knot winds, and was crossing the "busy" English Channel. 

3 hours ago, DtM said:

You are right about Albany but I think the record is taken as the complete circumnavigation below 45 degrees South.

Out in a straight line South to below 45 degr. --> turn left, same on the way up from same waypoint.

Guess he's joining http://figure8voyage.com/

in trying again next year.  Be interesting to see who manages it first.  Is it realistically possible to make the whole trip in a single shot in a slower? and older full keel boat like this design? 

34 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

in trying again next year.  Be interesting to see who manages it first.  Is it realistically possible to make the whole trip in a single shot in a slower? and older full keel boat like this design? 

Well, the Golden Globe throw-backs have taken about a month to get from France to the equator,  and so may be demonstrating that "older, full keel boat" may not be the tool of choice for this task.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Well, the Golden Globe throw-backs have taken about a month to get from France to the equator,  and so may be demonstrating that "older, full keel boat" may not be the tool of choice for this task.

Big fast shallow-draft carbon-fibre reinforced multihull.

"Indeed the Open60AAL Innovation Yachts has an impressive potential to sail also in rough conditions, nevertheless there are a few technical pieces of equipment which have not been matured enough in this short preparation period for the conditions expected."

Is that code for the bow or the keel falling off?

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

"Indeed the Open60AAL Innovation Yachts has an impressive potential to sail also in rough conditions, nevertheless there are a few technical pieces of equipment which have not been matured enough in this short preparation period for the conditions expected."

The ancient linguistic art of understatement/euphemism!

”Please stand by, as we are experiencing technical difficulties,” said the pilot as he noticed the starboard wing rattling around strangely...

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes, I am curious about what that [highlighted words above] means...What "few technical pieces of equipment equipment.".."have not matured been matured enough" .  The boat was tested at sea before this voyage, but maybe not long enough? 

29 minutes ago, kaptah said:

Autopilot issues, most likely.

Just curious: why would you think that? How could it "not have matured enough"? (Hence Jack's cheese analogy?)

Just now, despacio avenue said:

Just curious: why would you think that? How could it "not have matured enough"? (Hence Jack's cheese analogy?)

I mean, it is not cutting edge technology. Unless this one is...

21 hours ago, Left Shift said:

I'm curious if it's even feasible, wrong tool for the job always adds a little interest to the activity, but would a boat that is only capable of such speeds be able to get the distance needed in the time available?

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Do AP's get better with age like cheese?

Well.... Any recent IMOCA had tiller pilots, this one has the wheel version...

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

Well.... Any recent IMOCA had tiller pilots, this one has the wheel version...

Still identical in AP mount department.

• Like 2

I hope he will tell more regarding the issues, it's not a race, what the heck ?

Too bad, was a cool route to follow for the next months and especially weeks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jgbrown said:

I'm curious if it's even feasible, wrong tool for the job always adds a little interest to the activity, but would a boat that is only capable of such speeds be able to get the distance needed in the time available?

I think the boat has to be built like a tank and sail in the South out of season. Presumably jon sanders had to be at times in the wrong place at the wrong time...

On 8/3/2018 at 2:21 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Still identical in AP mount department.

Well, I'm running out of flimsy excuses. :D

Let's see if Norbert does the restart or if it's again once again Harald . Oh, more time to find sponsors too.

So he published a new "report", but no details at all... 

Funny, I just discovered this thread and was thinking " way cool, should be fun" and then I read through to the ending.  So, like "Ocean race, start to finish, in 5 minutes".  Fastest Figure Eight Ever.

Guess I'll go solder some more XT60 pigtails.  (Converting all my 12 volt toys to common XT60s (gold plated 60 amp connectors for $1))

Per Norbert's and Ant-Arctic's Facebook page, all the stuff in Jack's Post #11 above has been hauled off the boat, functionality testing done, and th boat will be moved , and mast removed, Tuesday with the boat coming out of the water and going into the shipyard. It will be back in the water next April and is to begin a second attempt July 19, 2019.  No more specifics on what went wrong in addition to the earlier generalities about all the new technologies on the boat that had not had enough time before the expedition to be tested at sea as opposed to in the lab.

Following up on discussions above regarding  the existence of sea ice in the Arctic Ocean in the later summer/fall when Ant-Arctic would likely have traveled through it had the voyage continued,  for the first time in decades a double-hulled barge delivered a bulk shipment (2 million gallons) of diesel fuel to the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska oil fields by sea on August 30. This delivery replaced 200 trips by truck using the haul road,  which is hundreds of miles long from the refineries in Southcentral Alaska. There will be no further barge shipments this year because the Arctic sea ice will close in.  While most of the fuel oil will continue to be delivered by truck, there are plans for another barge delivery next summer. Retreating sea ice is allowing more time for the summer shipments.  While not good to the extent that climate change is, to most experts,  the major cause of the declining sea ice and has negative impacts, the ability to to deliveries of the oil by barge reduces the risk of road travel on the haul road particularly roll-overs, which recently resulted in the death of a driver, and also cause oil spills due to poor road and weather conditions.

There is also an article in the September 9 New York Times discussing a new ice-class container ship owned by Maersk that sailed through the Bering Straight this past week and then "seemed hard to port"  attempting the Northern Sea route, the Northeast Passage, from the edge of Alaska to the top of Scandinavia along the Russian Siberian coast. 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:38 AM, jgbrown said:

Well, it looks like this one is first to make it around Cape Horn, twice, in the re-start.  Heading to NW passage next.

img_6221-1.jpg

He started, but had issues again on day six (headsail stay broke and sail around the keel), will start again next year, hope it will be the good one! 

Bad preparation or just bad luck?

Beginning to sound a bit like Paris and Kiwi Spirit...

I'll go ahead and say it:  That boat may be as unsuited for the task as it is ugly.

Continues to look like high adventure cruising.  Randall is doing much more than regular cruisers, and at the root, it is still boat repair in exotic locations for now.  Cape Horn twice was not.  He has sailed quite well and the boat is doing its job too