MauiPunter

What is going on here?

A Swan 77 from Newport (Aquina) pulled up next to us here in Boothbay and when I was checking it out, I noticed that the inner forestay literally goes through the RIB tender on the foredeck.  I cant grasp how can they even launch this tender with it skewered with the inner forestay, nor how the tender can float with a big hole through the middle of it. 

Check this out:

image.thumb.png.f214d9de6171bf016b3f9cfc3ad94b10.png

It's really just for show. Not intended to be actually used.

holed the tender somewhere and discovered that it now fits on the foredeck prior to repairs ....................

Is there a plaque stating "In case of emergency break forestay"? 

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

It's really just for show. Not intended to be actually used.

If its for show, its an awful show.  Looks so gangly sitting on the foredeck as it is.   Ruins the sleek lines of this boat.  So bizzare.  Tempted to ask whats up with that.  The boat seems to have four full time paid crew.   Maybe they will spill the beans.

Maui,

You got to be there for us and find out. Don't dare bring something like this to our attention with no intent to seek the truth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maui,

You got to be there for us and find out. Don't dare bring something like this to our attention with no intent to seek the truth.

Im on it.  :)

Meanwhile - caption contest.  My next entry is

owner - I am sick and tired of you guys losing these. 

• Like 2

My guess is that while cruising ‘round the world, the owner had a falling out with the boat captain somewhere near Vietnam and a new one was hired. “World record round the world sailor” looked good on the resume....

Some dude hired to mount a new inner forestay. Arrives at job, only to find the dinghy in the way. Not able to find any help to move the dinghy and tired of just standing around waiting for somebody to make a decision, he just chops a hole in the dinghy and gets on with his job.

• Like 2

Pic from the stbd side or its just an optical illusion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Maui,

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Im on it.  :)

Careful, remember L'il Murray.

5 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Pic from the stbd side or its just an optical illusion.

That pic is from the port side.   

I have seen this setup before, they will have a compression plate that is 2 pieces of fiberglass, sandwiching a gasket material, and a bolt or two squeezing  it together as a patch over the hole. Works fine for a RIB, and allows you to carry a large RIB on the foredeck.

Discussed doing this on a Shitty RIB on my friend’s Beneteau until we realized it could just fit aft of the inner forestay if we deflated it all the way.

2 minutes ago, Lorax said:

I have seen this setup before, they will have a compression plate that is 2 pieces of fiberglass, sandwiching a gasket material, and a bolt or two squeezing  it together as a patch over the hole. Works fine for a RIB, and allows you to carry a large RIB on the foredeck.

Discussed doing this on a Shitty RIB on my friend’s Beneteau until we realized it could just fit aft of the inner forestay if we deflated it all the way.

Somehow, this is pretty pathetic to even consider.  Someone spends a wallet-full of cash and then chops a hole in a perfectly good boat and destroys even the appearance of good sense.... sheesh.

Buy, or have designed, a boat that can properly carry a tender of your choice or get over needing to have the biggest, baddest tender in the anchorage.   

Someone's just got more money than sense.  Even the airstream on a pontoon boat makes more sense.....

18 minutes ago, Lorax said:

You are exactly right.  I just got back from chatting the captain and he said that exactly.   Removable inner forestay.  Pressure plate with gasket to seal the hole.  It weeps a little but usable and it allows them to store it on the foredeck.  He said previous owner would use some marine stick tape to seal it each time but when they got the boat they had the pressure plate solution fabricated.    They are currently on charter.

Wow, the lengths some people will go to...

Here she is next to my boat.   Almost the same, right?  :D

37996740_10157720372299251_8735318500530192384_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2eb96aded75e5e2b56ba5daa8aac41e9&oe=5BD70392

38085213_10157722427654251_6068361440002048000_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=257b516471b176940b0bec1f68722d25&oe=5BC849D0

How much tension do you need on the inner forestay when you're not flying a sail off it? Couldn't they have treated it like a spare halyard and mounted a padeye off to the side to keep the forestay out of the way of the dinghy?

1 minute ago, IStream said:

How much tension do you need on the inner forestay when you're not flying a sail off it? Couldn't they have treated it like a spare halyard and mounted a padeye off to the side to keep the forestay out of the way of the dinghy?

If you look closely there is a SECOND inner forestay behind the tender.  I would attached it there and called it done.  :)

Swan has a inner forestay ( thru the dink) and a babystay. While the inner is usually not needed to stabilize the spar, the baby IS. Inner f/s used in heavy weather to stabilize the spar, and to set a stsl.

Inner F/S will be too long to attach to baby padeye. Both stays are also most likely connected to hyd rams for adjustment.

That definitely looks like a backwards way to "solve" the dinghy storage problem...

But if you are going to do this: how about glassing in a tube in the dinghy so that it doesn't leak (rather than fabricating a pressure plate)?

At the very least take an angle grinder to the edge of that hole so it doesn't look like it was cut with an axe!

• Like 4

Or at the minimum, a holesaw.

Now if they'd also drilled a hole through the outboard's cylinder block to pass the babystay, that would have been real smart.  No need to lash the dinghy down at all.

IMG_7118.JPG

• Like 4

No problem with water drainage with this set up. Could be a problem in a seaway if it gets loose and starts pullin the mast as it’s thrown around....

On 7/30/2018 at 6:20 PM, Ease the sheet. said:

Who goes offshore with the dinghy on the fore deck like that?

That boat and a very large number of similar boats, have been doing it like that for countless miles for many years.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, Airwick said:

At the very least take an angle grinder to the edge of that hole so it doesn't look like it was cut with an axe

This was my immediate thought. Fine, do this half-brained idea. The least you could do is clean it up and make it look decent. This execution of “solution” is what I’d expect to see on some half floating 2ksb that’s permanently anchored in the bay. 

Or just through-bolt two padeyes on the rib.  One on the sole, one on the hull exterior. Shackle the forestay to rib sole, and a short pennant from the outside padeye to the deck. Transfers the load through the rib, and eliminates the need to tie down the bow. 

if the boat sinks, the dink will ride up the forstay and keep the mast vertical as the boat goes down. 

On 7/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, MauiPunter said:

They are currently on charter.

I woudn't go farther out than I can swim back in a charter boat with such a Red Green hack on the deck. Who knows what creative soultions they have thought of for other gear? ...Secured through-hulls with old wine corks? ...Drilled a hole in the topside because the owner's fishing rod didnt fit in the cabinet? ...Then patched it with ducktape? ...Thinned down the disel with spent french fries oil?

With a rig like this, the inner forestay is usually only used on delivery (offshore... not from one bay to the next), the other 90 percent of the time this is a very efficient way of storing a tender that can accommodate more than 4 people at a time. Launched / recovered with a spin halyard and a line to hold the dinghy forward, great for remote locations with longer trips back and forth to an anchorage.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, MauiPunter said:

You are exactly right.  I just got back from chatting the captain and he said that exactly.   Removable inner forestay.  Pressure plate with gasket to seal the hole.  It weeps a little but usable and it allows them to store it on the foredeck.  He said previous owner would use some marine stick tape to seal it each time but when they got the boat they had the pressure plate solution fabricated.    They are currently on charter.

Flex Seal tape...

4 hours ago, serioladumerili said:

i hope that they will not see this...

hreko.thumb.jpg.08c616a19ff2a6cb61cf7a8c7518dc6e.jpg

WTF?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

WTF?

I have sooo many questions...

11 hours ago, serioladumerili said:

i hope that they will not see this...

hreko.thumb.jpg.08c616a19ff2a6cb61cf7a8c7518dc6e.jpg

So that's where ribs come from.  Never seen one being born before.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, socalrider said:

I have sooo many questions...

Two engineers on the project. They started from opposite ends and met in the middle. 

9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Two engineers on the project. They started from opposite ends and met in the middle. 

"Engineering while high"