Sign in to follow this  
Clncy

Thistle Questions - Outhaul, Topping Lift, & rear grates

I have looked all over the internet for the answers to these questions and while I've had some luck around the periphery, no luck with solid answers.  

While replacing the outhaul line, I discovered the old line was just tied to a block at the stern end of the boom (as the outhaul goes from rope to wire).  This leads me to believe there was 2:1 purchase at one point.  Does anyone know how/where the other end of the line is typically tied to utilize the block in the aft end of the boom for 2:1 purchase?  

Can someone provide photos of how the topping lift is actually rigged?  My block is on the bow side (I understand there is no room as the sail has to track up the aft portion of the mast) of the mast on the middle spreaders but wondering if a line is just wrapped around the mast leading to the end of the boom.  In this case, the topping lift must be removed each time you are actually sailing.  Does that sound correct? 

How are the rear wooden grating pieces removed?  Are there screws under the bungs on the aft end of the rails?  It doesn't look like there is any sign they are affixed to the transom.  Thank you very much.  

I run an 18:1 outhaul, daughters for crew...

There is not typically topping lift

The gratings are designed to be removable, screws and plugs are common.

Get on the Thistle email list with your questions, be a week so before any answers as the Nationals are this week.

There are LOTS of pictures of modern thistle rigging here, both on newer and very old woodie hulls:  https://photos.apsltd.com/One-Design-Photos/Thistle

That thing you're calling a topping lift block (correctly) is for a spinnaker pole topping lift, not for the mainsail.

Outhaul, hard to respond to that question as there are many different setups.  Are we talking a wood or aluminum boom?  On my boat the aluminum boom has a cast cap with an integral pulley for wire rope, and the purchase is forward on the underside of the boom where the wire exits.

Typically in the aluminum booms there is an 8:1(maybe 6:1) cascade for the outhaul needs a bit of fiddling so it works right if you are re-rigging from scratch so it doesn't jam and has enough travel. It's been too long since I looked at a wood boom, but you could set up a 4:1 external cascade pretty easy before the wire.  There is typically no BOOM topping lift there is an externally rigged spinnaker pole topping lift on the front of the mast, only used if you sail with the spinnaker. Most boats have wood screws under the bungs in the rails attaching the grating to the rails, some are thu-bolted with machine screws to nuts underneath if the wood was older and needed the help.  I wouldn't call it removable though the wood rails and gratings are integral to the stiffness of the boat, some makes do have screws through the transom to the aft grating, but not all..