DTA

Hot to Stop PFD From Riding Up Into Armpits

I like my Zhik PFD. Very comfy. But once in the water it rides up into my armpits. The whole PFD moves upward, and the lower part of the armhole is then pressing upward against my armpits. Makes swimming very awkward. I've had the same problem, to a lesser degree, with other PFDs.

Any suggestions on how to stop this? Should I cut holes in the bottom of the PFD, and loop webbing through it, to create leg loops that I put my legs through, so that the PFD stay down my virtue of the webbing in my crotch area holding the PFD down?

Surely, this has got to be a common problem that others have had as well.

There's usually a strap around the bottom that you clip and tighten, and should be tightened to "grab" your ribcage. It can be a tad uncomfortable, but that's what prevents it from riding up.

Yeah, that doesn't work for dudes shaped like a barrel. 

Dude.jpeg

Chuck a rash vest or a bib over the lifejacket ... a snug fit one ... holds most things in place!!!

Garder belts, reversed to hold jacket down or thong pfd maybe?

I have the same problem. A XXXXL compression shirt over the jacket is too hot in NC, let alone TX. 50n buoyancy aid from not-USA is a little better than USCG PFD due to less flotation and snug fit.

don't be shaped like a barrel? Never had an issue with my Zhik riding up and i've been using it since 2009 (fuck)

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

don't be shaped like a barrel? Never had an issue with my Zhik riding up and i've been using it since 2009 (fuck)

:P

8 hours ago, Stanno said:

Chuck a rash vest or a bib over the lifejacket ... a snug fit one ... holds most things in place!!!

these work and are what i use most often but tight fitting shirt works best although harder to put on/ take off.  

I have been putting a rash vest over it, but that doesn't hold it tight. Problem is I have a rash vest between my skin and the PFD, which greatly reduces friction, and therefore still allows the PFD to ride up into my armpits despite the bib on top.

Is the "webbing in the crotch" idea just impractical? I don't want to start cutting holes in my Zhik PFD to rig this up unless somebody thinks it could work (those things are pricey).

i actually stopped wearing a rashy over my life jacket towards the end of my dinghy sailing. anywho, i wouldn't put a croch strap in. You sail a single handed trap boat right? Generally speaking, i don't want anymore impeding my getting out of my harness or lifejacket if i need to while i'm under the boat. I say generally because, if i ever do get in a 470 again, i'll probably go back to wearing a rashy over the whole kit. 

• Like 1

Here is some technology for kid's lifejackets that may be copied. I would recommend the strap be replaced by some sort of webbing, for obvious reasons. We don't want DTA to stand for Displaced Testicle Affliction.

DBX Child Vector Series Nylon Life Vest, Blue

• Like 4

I use a wakeboarding impact vest, will not move and protects my ribs from impacts. It is not cg approved so will not float you to save life, but works awesome, and is very comfy.

Velcro to body hair? :-) -- myself, I am barrel-ish but somehow the pfd manages to get a grip. It can be a bit uncomfortable when I make it tight "right".

The older (but still sold) Zhik PFD has this problem, as do others. The new Zhik PFD fits much more snugly, as do some others, eg Neil Pryde. 

• Like 1

Wear it with your legs in the armholes and it’ll have a hard time riding up

• Like 2

I’ve had a Zhik the last 12 months and it does seem to suffer more than previous ones from this. Or maybe I’m just more barrel shaped than I was. 

Zhik buoyancy aids seem to be cut to sit quite high on the chest. Have you tried something like this:

https://www.gillmarine.com/gb/sailing-accessories/buoyancy-aids/race-syncro-pfd.html  ?

Which is longer and has a belt at the bottom to cinch under the chest/gut and  keep it in place. 

Lots of options... I guess it's a case of trying them on until you find one that's the right shape! I don't know which brands are available to you locally but Gill, Gul, Henri Lloyd ( May be some sales... :-( ), Crewsaver, Helly-Hansen, Neil Pryde... plus any outlet branded ones. All slightly different cuts.

Cheers,

W.

Swimming after a floating dinghy or cat on a windy day with any PFD is  tough. .Whatever you do to hold the PFD lower on your body make sure it dosent impede your arm strokes.

Is your PFD too large for you?

11 hours ago, Connor.kainalu said:

Wear it with your legs in the armholes and it’ll have a hard time riding up

Here you go. Wearable on top or as shorts. Totally impractical for sailing, but I like the photo.  human_bobber_bu1_grande.jpg?v=1522979844

• Like 1

23 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

This is what you need

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/stories/the-aero-pro-flotation-vest

It combines PFD and rash vest in one and does not ride up.

Shame they don't do these in a light colour, black would be a bit hot in the summer where I am, I could always run a white rashie over the top but that kinda seems like you could just get a low profile one and do that to save buying this.

Looking at the sizes am I seeing it right that only the large size is 50N or would all sizes satisfy the rules in Australia?