Sign in to follow this  
semusmcgilicoty

AIS NMEA Multiplexer and Autopilot. repost

•  
  • semusmcgilicoty
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Hi all,

Long time stalker here but cant seem to find specifics for this question.

Have upgraded instruments, and CP to Axiom 9.

Have an older Navico Power pilot that is stand alone. It has by the looks 2 NMEA0183 attachment points.

Here is the manual I believe. (I cant get visual on the device atm though).https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/Root/Operator Manual/SimradYachting/English/Navico_PH8000-User-Manual.pdf

BLUF: Can I use a multiplexing AIS transceiver on a N2K system to convert the chart plotter info from N2k to NMEA0183 and use it on the AP?

As with most things yachty, the purchase of one part needs in depth consideration of all else.

I will upgrade to an AIS transceiver from the receiver only I currently have, in order to add a non CP GPS source to the NMEA2000 system. The Axiom 9 is slow to pick up GPS where I have mounted it at the chart table. I figure an internal GPS AIS can bring a better signal still below deck where the Axion was originally picking up quick signals. Running another gps to the pushpit would be a massive PITA!. I was looking at an AIS with optional external gps ant in case I need to get better reception.

I was thinking that NMEA sentences must be a case of all devices get fed the same thing but they discriminate what they can use? So if a "multiplexing" AIS is described as such as opposed to one that just accepts both formats, would it feed out the signal from the N2K Chart Plotter derived sentences, through to the AP as 0183? If so this could stop me needing to get an actisense converter or replacing the AP.

Does this theory hold?

Thanks if you can afford some time on this .

Semus

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

semusmcgilicoty    0

•  
  • semusmcgilicoty
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Just noted it mentions it can be connected for drift... via a gps, decca or loran....

and "easily interfaces with a variety of other instruments including navigation receivers to provide flexible navigation options"...

this mean no chart plotter direction to the old AP?

I think Im barking up the wrong tree...??

Epic first post!

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

GARY__SEVEN    0

•  
  • GARY__SEVEN
  • Members
  • 1 post

Well, it all depends on what NMEA sentences are being sent out by the various devices on your NMEA 2000 network. Some are listeners. Some are talkers. Some are both. You can't assume that a device is putting messages out on the wire. Remember that NMEA 2000 is bi-directional messaging. NMEA 0183 has one talker, many listeners on a trunk.  If your chartplotter is sending out stuff, then having a multiplexer such as a Digital Yachts MUX100 could be useful to send the NMEA sentences out onto the 0183 trunk. If the autopilot is listening on that trunk and you have some device on the NMEA 2000 network spitting out sentences that the AP can use. Often the chartplotter I think is just listening. 

My boat's setup is an older chartplotter right now, but I intend to upgrade. Recently I added the Vesper XB8000 AIS transponder, a MUX100 and Raymarine EV-1 autopilot. The XB8000 is tied into the Raymarine NMEA 2000 backbone along with the autopilot and the MUX100. Coming out of the MUX100's 0183 port I go to the VHF radio that is just listening for 0183 GPS position data and my AIS info. The VHF radio is 4800 baud and the NMEA 2000 is 38200 baud. So the MUX is required to 1. convert 2000 to 0183 and 2. convert from 38200 to 4800 baud to feed the VHF. Also on the NMEA 2000 trunk would be any sentences that the EV-100 electronic compass (part of the Autopilot gear) is spitting out. Any other device on the trunk that needs that compass data can use it. I figure once I have my new chartplotter on the trunk it might need that compass data for the radar. 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Alex W    33

• Super Anarchist
  •  
  • Alex W
  • Members
  • 2,359 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

The Axiom can probably output NMEA0183. I have an older Raymarine plotter and it replicates NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 for everything but AIS. It’ll cover what your autopilot can use. 

You can configure the Raymarine plotters to listen to a difference GPS. I’ve done this so that we can turn on instruments without turning in the plotter and still get GPS COG and SOG. I’m using a Garmin GPS receiver that outputs NMEA 2000 which is mounted below decks by our transom (basically under the pulpit), it is a more reliable location than where the plotter is. 

Shilshole, Seattle, WA

re-Quest: Express 37

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

semusmcgilicoty    0

•  
  • semusmcgilicoty
  • Members
  • 3 posts

I'm Picking up what's been put down so far.

A couple of things...

I'm happy with what the Axiom CP will be receiving from the AIS and the various transducers - the Axiom is the first of the Raymarine to do away with 0183 completely so anything 0183 needs to be converted and put out on the backbone elsewhere.

I'm planning on setting the CP to use the AIS GPS.

For me the biggest question is about the old AP. I cant find much info on the Navico PH8000 except the stuff in the manual. As mentioned above it says of the 0183 input :

"it can be connected for drift... via a gps, decca or loran"

and "easily interfaces with a variety of other instruments including navigation receivers to provide flexible navigation options"...

It mentions nothing else of the 0138 info it can use.

I found Axiom details of course and waypoint control and legacy AP systems here http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=4604 Saying:

Legacy Autopilots interfaced with AXIOM

AXIOM MultiFunction Displays are designed to integrate directly with current generation Evolution autopilots through the STng network and will enable control of the autopilot directly from the AXIOM screen, provided the system is networked via STng. This enables the user to construct a route built up of waypoints and instruct the Evolution autopilot to follow this route, using the AXIOM screen.

Generally legacy autopilots- which use SeaTalk data protocol can be connected to STng via the SeaTalk to STng converter, however check here for more information about which legacy autopilots have been tested and can be connected via the St to STng converter and which will need to be connected via NMEA 0183.

Legacy autopilots - ie all non-Evolution systems, (including SPX systems which are connected to the network via STng and may have an p70/ p70R control unit) will not be able to be directly controlled from the AXIOM displays. However, you can still create a route of waypoints or a single waypoint GOTO on the AXIOM display and select the FOLLOW/ GOTO option, which will now make the route or GOTO active.

If you want the Autopilot to follow the route which is now active on the MFD - you will need to engage AUTO on the legacy autopilot control unit, (for example p70/p70R / ST6002) and then select TRACK mode, after you have acknowledged the FOLLOW TRACK alarm, the autopilot will then follow the route on the AXIOM to the target waypoint.

and here http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=2623 saying:

Can a Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer be interfaced to a ST-STng Converter?

Can a Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer be interfaced to a ST-STng Converter?

Raytheon/Autohelm autopilot course computer designs such as the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer (see photo below), ST4000, and ST5000 supported an earlier version of SeaTalk communications protocol than did the Raymarine autopilot course computer designs having a SeaTalk communications interface which succeeded them (ex. Type 150, Type 400, ST4000+, ST5000+, S1/S1G, S2/S2G, S3/S3G, SPX5/10/30, etc.).
Due to the differences in these versions of SeaTalk communications protocol, it is not recommended that a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be used as a data bridge with these Raytheon autopilot course computers. Instead, it is recommended that such Raytheon autopilot course computers be interfaced to the system via NMEA 0183 communications protocol. Should the system to be interfaced to not feature a MFD having a NMEA 0183 communications interface and have a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) be used to interface the autopilot to the SeaTalkng backbone.

So...

I assume that if I set the Navico to 0183 mode, the AIS Multiplexer will act as the "NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) " and allow me to at least use it for WP goto?

Below are the schematics. Which one do I connect where Do you think?

CHeers

Semus

navico.JPG

easyais.JPG