4glennb

Fareast 23R phrf rating

We have a new boat on our lake in the Northeast a Fareast 23r. Looked up the phrf rating on phrf-NE and the boat is rated at 51 race and 63 cruise, the owner is not happy with that rating of course.

Anyone out there have any experience with the phrf rating for this boat in your area?

Thanks

Glenn

That looks like the rating for the 28 not the 23. I would expect it to fall between the Melges 24 and a J70.

Hi wicked thanks for the comment. I Agree with you, but the only reference that I can find for a rating for this boat is on the PHRF-NE website. Hoping someone has more info on this boat. Compared to a J/70 it has 47% more upwind sail area and 77% more downwind sail with equal weight and LWL.

Thanks

Glenn

afaik, spotsboats and phrf do not mix well, but ymmv.

7 hours ago, Irish River said:

PHRF nw

FE23 117

Melges 24 99

Thanks for that

28r rates between 58 and 61.

the 23r is probably more like 115.

Wateline length makes the difference 

43 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

28r rates between 58 and 61.

the 23r is probably more like 115.

Wateline length makes the difference 

Yeah I also agree Sail4beer. Just seams strange that PHRF-NE has it 51-63, but the sail area compared to a J/70 is 47% more with the same waterline.

Glenn

5 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

The one out of RVYC rates at 117, not sure if it's the "R".

Thanks for the info Paulin, I'll probably use a PHRF closer to the 117.

Glenn

No worries, I think "overdraft" on here is the owner, IIRC he started out at 111 or something and it got adjusted, seems a fast boat in the right conditions but otherwise would appear to be pretty tricky to sail to the rating. Looks good though, and fun!

20 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

PHRF Northeast:

FAR EAST 28R  

\U51/U63

MELGES 24 ODR   102/108

My FE28R is definitely faster that a Melges 24 but not 50 seconds per mile. There are two other FE 28R's in the US with PHRF's of 72 and 75. I'm getting ready to petition my club to be raised to 73 from my present 54.  I think 73 is a more realistic number. In a big wind long distance race with a long downwind leg maybe 54 can be reached but in the typical short W/L courses 73 is more like it.

Good luck, some of these committees are pretty entrenched once they set a rating for a boat.

thanks

On 8/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, gjbike said:

My FE28R is definitely faster that a Melges 24 but not 50 seconds per mile. There are two other FE 28R's in the US with PHRF's of 72 and 75. I'm getting ready to petition my club to be raised to 73 from my present 54.  I think 73 is a more realistic number. In a big wind long distance race with a long downwind leg maybe 54 can be reached but in the typical short W/L courses 73 is more like it.

Typically adjustments never exceed 6-12 seconds per mile per year.  19 is a big jump and calls into question the Data.  The committee needs to make their decision based upon Data.

2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Typically adjustments never exceed 6-12 seconds per mile per year.  19 is a big jump and calls into question the Data.  The committee needs to make their decision based upon Data.

Depends how much hookers/blow are/is in the equation

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:35 AM, JimBowie said:

I agree. Mine was a provisional rating being  the first one imported to the US. There was no historical data to rely on. Now 2 years later there are  several other FE28R's that have gone through the PHRF process and experience with my racing results relative to the other boats. I have prepared a 28 page appeal that is nothing but data to support my request . We'll see but I think I have a reasonable request supported by contemporaneous data.  

23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

1st in the US? What’s your hull #? 

Hull 85

Yours was the first one sold to a customer in the US. I have #33. Got it in September, 2015 before it was the boat of the year. It had been damaged at the dock after the Figawi race. A storm came in and the starboard cleats pulled out of a floating dock and the boat was laying up on the pilings on the Port side.  

There were a lot of hulls built in a short period of time if yours is 52 after mine. Very successful design. I hope your appeal goes through and the boat gets a fair rating.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:26 AM, Sail4beer said:

Yours was the first one sold to a customer in the US. I have #33. Got it in September, 2015 before it was the boat of the year. It had been damaged at the dock after the Figawi race. A storm came in and the starboard cleats pulled out of a floating dock and the boat was laying up on the pilings on the Port side.  

There were a lot of hulls built in a short period of time if yours is 52 after mine. Very successful design. I hope your appeal goes through and the boat gets a fair rating.

Glad to report the PHRF committee was  receptive to my appeal and my PHRF handicap is now 68. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:34 AM, gjbike said:

I agree. Mine was a provisional rating being  the first one imported to the US. There was no historical data to rely on. Now 2 years later there are  several other FE28R's that have gone through the PHRF process and experience with my racing results relative to the other boats. I have prepared a 28 page appeal that is nothing but data to support my request . We'll see but I think I have a reasonable request supported by contemporaneous data.  

Please by all means share it all.  Would make an interesting technical read.  You can never know too much about the machinations of local PHRF boards.  

Nothing more than what other FE28R’s and other physically similar boats have been rated in other regions. PHRF and ORC/IRC certificates, and readily available online ratings. 

That’s great news. The boat deserves the rating to compete fairly in PHRF.

That takes into account for light conditions where the boat suffers the most and for Beercan Racing in the evening where those conditions prevail (except for full moons). 

19 hours ago, gjbike said:

Glad to report the PHRF committee was  receptive to my appeal and my PHRF handicap is now 68. 

So based on that rating the boat is the same speed as a V830. Do you think that is correct?

1 hour ago, Mike in CT said:

So based on that rating the boat is the same speed as a V830. Do you think that is correct?

Guess we'll find out Wurstfest when Rented Mule comes down from Dallas.

As we would say down here:

” thems are fighting words!” :)

7 hours ago, Mike in CT said:

I don’t recall if we’ve sailed against one. Under ideal conditions we do about 6.2 kts upwind at 37 deg TWA for a VMG of 5.1. When you get it dialed in the boat definitely moves well. 

7 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Guess we'll find out Wurstfest when Rented Mule comes down from Dallas.

I look forward to hearing about that. When I had an 830 I wondered about it. I would think the 830 would plane a bit sooner. 

59 minutes ago, gjbike said:

I don’t recall if we’ve sailed against one. Under ideal conditions we do about 6.2 kts upwind at 37 deg TWA for a VMG of 5.1. When you get it dialed in the boat definitely moves well. 

Well last year Rented Mule was #1 and Wind was last place.  You will owe them precisely 1 second per mile according to their entry handicap of 69.

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=15455

1 hour ago, Mike in CT said:

I look forward to hearing about that. When I had an 830 I wondered about it. I would think the 830 would plane a bit sooner. 

Maybe the FE28 might have a chance on a windy reach - all other configurations - probably not

Yes, that was terrible. Well-since then we have new crew and happy to say we have bested pretty much all of those boats sometime during the year. But I see we may be starting to form a new rivalry  with those yankee carpetbaggers from up north. How about skipper of losing boat buys bottle of 18 yo single malt scotch for winner? So, do you feel lucky punk-  we’ll do you?? ( in my best Clint Eastwood impersonation) ;)

3 minutes ago, gjbike said:

Yes, that was terrible. Well-since then we have new crew and happy to say we have bested pretty much all of those boats sometime during the year. But I see we may be starting to form a new rivalry  with those yankee carpetbaggers from up north. How about skipper of losing boat buys bottle of 18 yo single malt scotch for winner? So, do you feel lucky punk-  we’ll do you?? ( in my best Clint Eastwood impersonation) ;)

OK.  I like that challenge.  You should make the Mule this offer: come down and kick our asses and you win the scotch.  Come down and you kick THEIR asses and they will buy you a bottle of scotch, with one caveat--you will be required to drive I35 north and challenge them next March 1 at the RCYC Texas Independence Cup regatta in their home waters to serve them a large can of whoop-ass to prove it wasn't a home lake fluke!  :)

Ok. You’re on  (actually I remember now how fast that boat was- but it will still come down to crew skills)