smokeandoakum

Boating While High

The cited article is titled "Boating while high’ on the rise where marijuana is legal"

Are boating accidents on the rise too?  

well, we are breeding more idiots in the dumb states, so i'm guessing the answer is yes.

Nope. Just happy boaters doing the same thing they’ve been doing for decades. Accidents happen because of stupidity and alcohol for the most part.

I sure don't want the guy next to me in a 40 mph powerboat stoned while he's trying to weave through a sailing fleet.  I'm all for a quick and easy test, and you have to believe with the money that can be made on it, someone's working hard to make one right now.

Or course, the bolded text is completely wrong about the actual effects of Marijuana.  That's to be expected though - it's the front page, it's the Ed, and he has a severe tendency to view the world through some very oddly shaded glasses.  People who smoke Marijuana because of anxiety may have a very nasty surprise in store - it can heighten anxiety, paranoia, and exacerbate self-esteem problems.  But by all means, wave your hands around and call it harmless.

And before the Ed spouts off I'm adding this white text - I support marijuana use but it needs to be regulated just like alcohol.

• Like 1

Oh shit is the government reading this? shit what about Jeff sessions? shit why was I so dumb to post this?  I am worthless.  over and out. Can I have another bong hit please!

I think....wait. What were we talking about? Hey do you want the rest of that Twinkie? 

• Like 5

I don't hit the water unless im seeing stars. It's scary out there!

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

I sure don't want the guy next to me in a 40 mph powerboat stoned while he's trying to weave through a sailing fleet.  

And before the Ed spouts off I'm adding this white text - I support marijuana use but it needs to be regulated just like alcohol.

The good news is that he’s in his go fast boat, idling at 5 knots, thinking he’s flying!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Editor said:

well, we are breeding more idiots in the dumb states, so i'm guessing the answer is yes.

dumb states ?

Don't do weed but sailing a small boat home single handed from a neighbor club regatta many years ago after a good feed of beer is not funny when you need to take a piss with full wet gear on. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Editor said:

That is such a mean thing to say about California!  So mean,.  And Mean People?  They SUCK..

There were some odd smells coming from a few boat in yesterday's race. Loud music and laughter as well. 

Damn those people having a good time! 

Got the evil eye from the Rum Dumb racers, no doubt!

• Like 1

Hmmm... "It's all good" ...until it's not. I'm A-ok with folks catching a buzz while they're parked on their couch, watching a sunset while anchored, sitting around the campfire, etc. But piloting a plane? Driving a truck, bus, taxi or Uber? My dentist while he's drilling a tooth? My doctor when he's trying to "get it all" during surgery? My lawyer when I'm paying him $XXX/hour for advice? A jetski jockey wake jumping/showing off for his girlfriend? A gofast driver coming in the inlet at 60 knots? No, no, no, no, no... it's common sense. Which seems to be becoming less and less common. People have been doing all the above drunk out of their gourds forever - and causing lots of pain, damage and death. Humans are funny creatures. Exhibit A: I recall rolling the window down in my car one winter evening during a snowstorm while at college in the midwest , sticking my head out and singing, licking the snowflakes from my moustache, closing one eye to give it a rest/not see double, hoping upon hope to make just a couple more miles of two lane blacktop before I passed out and/or crashed... and it seemed perfectly rational at the time. Hard to legislate against stupidness... if you're lucky you grow out of it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The good news is that he’s in his go fast boat, idling at 5 knots, thinking he’s flying!

The other day, in the Safeway parking lot, I saw Chong and Chong sitting in their car with the motor running.  Evidently they thought they were driving, but they were just sitting there.  Every time somebody walked or drove down the aisle, they'd have a shit fit, like they'd narrowly-avoided a collision.  Stomping on the brake and yelling.  

One of these days, I'm going to remember that I can record video on my phone...

So how  does that work? 

Cops beckon you in from the water to a road  for a roadside test?

Godwin's law, right there in the FP article before even getting to the discussion.  That was fast, maybe even some kind of record. 

1 hour ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Thank this to Canada Boating Anarchy. 

The whole country says YES smoke it, grow it if you got it, but don’t get caught motoring or boating Hi...

Canadian Government Approves Device for Roadside Saliva Drug Tests

We have had it here in Oz for years. If you test positive you are arrested and taken to the watch house via Mcdonalds drive thru.

3 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Godwin's law, right there in the FP article before even getting to the discussion.  That was fast, maybe even some kind of record. 

It’s Ed. You’re surprised?

Smoke a little. Fine. Stoned out of your mind. Nope.

Drink a beer on the way back to the dock after the finish. Fine. Squinting to find the channel markers. Nope.

Any incident that occurs while you’re doing so should be treated harsher.

5 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I sure don't want the guy next to me in a 40 mph powerboat stoned while he's trying to weave through a sailing fleet.  I'm all for a quick and easy test, and you have to believe with the money that can be made on it, someone's working hard to make one right now.

Or course, the bolded text is completely wrong about the actual effects of Marijuana.  That's to be expected though - it's the front page, it's the Ed, and he has a severe tendency to view the world through some very oddly shaded glasses.  People who smoke Marijuana because of anxiety may have a very nasty surprise in store - it can heighten anxiety, paranoia, and exacerbate self-esteem problems.  But by all means, wave your hands around and call it harmless.

Agree; why blot out the sailing experience with any drug?

WoW,  with the crew I usually have, I have to be stoned to tolerate their idiocy. But we do well and have fun. 

a013e086590e7e96b4a5bfe12e78b95b.jpg

• Like 3

Sailing while high is the best experience I've ever had. It made me become a better sailor, you can see wind shifts better and you react quicker to things happening. Recently I was stoned and flew a symmetrical spinnaker for the first time in 10 months, rigged it perfectly and had the right amount of topper on all the time. 10/10 would recommend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Pot makes you ‘noid?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwichas said:

Agree; why blot out the sailing experience with any drug?

After you have sailed for a little while the whole 'wow cosmic experience , sailing is mystical dude' thing passes. Takes about 10 days for most people. Reality is just a crutch for those that can't handle drugs. 

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

After you have sailed for a little while the whole 'wow cosmic experience , sailing is mystical dude' thing passes. Takes about 10 days for most people. Reality is just a crutch for those that can't handle drugs. 

Dewd!  I was just waiting for the spot sign to turn green!

2 hours ago, AvidSailor said:

Sailing while high is the best experience I've ever had. It made me become a better sailor, you can see wind shifts better and you react quicker to things happening. Recently I was stoned and flew a symmetrical spinnaker for the first time in 10 months, rigged it perfectly and had the right amount of topper on all the time. 10/10 would recommend.

Yep, and every 18 year old believes they can drive faster and better as well.  Till they die.

• Like 1

nothing against the herb BUT if you think it makes you better at anything you need your head read .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sugarbird said:

Hard to legislate against stupidness.

there's no cure for stupid .

We were on a two-dayer once where we parked up in port to turn around and sail back the next day.  I went for a shower in the club to come back to the boat the smell weed in the cabin.  I knew who it was.

About 30 mins after the start the said crew decided to give me some navigational and tuning advice.  Well, it did not end well for him.

9 minutes ago, random said:

We were on a two-dayer once where we parked up in port to turn around and sail back the next day.  I went for a shower in the club to come back to the boat the smell weed in the cabin.  I knew who it was.

About 30 mins after the start the said crew decided to give me some navigational and tuning advice.  Well, it did not end well for him.

Did you take him back up to the showers or just do it there on the chart table?

46 minutes ago, random said:

Well he should have kept his mouth shut.

images (81).jpeg

25 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Same applies to flying, right? Would you all be happy getting on Kent Island Airlines if I was blazing in the cockpit?

No, because I heard you don’t share.

seriously, pilots should not smoke ANY weed before they fly for many reasons.

Sailors, no problem here. Just don’t hit my boat. Enough sober, inexperienced and drunk sailors do that already and it pisses me off a little.

• Like 1

I watched a Baja 24 something doing 60+ knots with the hull barely touching the water go by the other day. OK for that guy to be stoned?

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I watched a Baja 24 something doing 60+ knots with the hull barely touching the water go by the other day. OK for that guy to be stoned?

As long as they keep bringing “talent” for us to enjoy, who are we to judge...

6673C700-B40B-4E1F-989E-91BD4C7D7569.jpeg

From the OP linked article:

"Marine law enforcement officials hope to host statewide marine-deputy training for marijuana detection in a pot version of a ‘Wet Lab’, which is when police have someone drink alcohol and then test their abilities to detect impairment.

This ‘Green Lab’ might be tough to pull off, because marijuana remains illegal on the federal level, but federal officials are warming to the idea of field officers becoming more adept at pot-use detection."

Bet they have a lot of volunteers to become test subjects for this!!

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No, but given the Yukon style log raft the Bay has been following the Conowingopocalypse, it's a lot more likely that this particular chap is going to get treetrunked, telephone poled or refrigeratored, than stoned.  Beyond reckless right now, downright suicidal.  Asking for it. 

Exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed to drink near beer, much less spark up some righteous ditchweed.

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Nope. But it’s probably better than drunk on alcohol or opioids by a looooonnnnnnggggg stretch and you know or should know that. 

But as I said earlier, no pilot should ever operate an aircraft under the slightest mind altering substance.

No actually I don't know that. I was on a launch run by a buddy who was stoned. He was taking people to the boat show. He was so fascinated with the amazing scenery he didn't even slow down and t-boned a show boat and sent all the passengers flying onto their asses :lol: A drunk couldn't have done it better :rolleyes:

I won’t comment on how you know he was stoned or why you were on or let him operate a boat stoned...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the economics of supply and demand have driven wholesale weed to $450 a pound ($1000 / kg) here in Oregon, for high quality flower.  You can buy good stuff for $50 / oz retail.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SteveC said:

1. So how  does that work? 

2.Cops beckon you in from the water to a road  for a roadside test?

1. You FuckOff..

2. Not ever.. on the Canada St Clair River boarder in Michigan a local Water Patrol Sheriff told me ," When I'm on the water on patrol and a Canadian Officer is waving at me from the shore I wave back. If I land a gun on me or in the boat Im going to jail in Canada. Just wave back!"

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Meanwhile, the economics of supply and demand have driven wholesale weed to $450 a pound ($1000 / kg) here in Oregon, for high quality flower.  You can buy good stuff for $50 / oz retail.

Buy a ad... :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Buy a ad... :ph34r:

pretty good mark up ...if I can get back to the east coast   :ph34r:

You got that right! 

Shitty markdown if caught 

the number of comments on the is thread .. whoa!!!

Wasn't cannabis burning created by sailors … Sometime the hemp was for making lines and sometimes it is "time to burn some hemp eh?"

Who left the door open?

1 hour ago, eastern motors said:

Sounds like the consensus is that we need a 5 knot speed limit

Surely that depends on how long they give  you to tie 5 knots ....if it's an hour test that's really stoned.

• Like 2

I like to be HIGH when I'm out YACHTING, @'s why I sit on the roof :rolleyes:

Vagina beer made with 'essence of hot underwear models' goes on sale for first time

Customers can now buy the beer and taste the 'essence' of good looking models at various pubs after its debut on July 28 in the city of Katowice, Poland

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/vagina-beer-made-essence-hot-13021963

0_PAY-CEN-VaginaBeer-11.jpg

Ed Lada would love that . He’s had enough ingredients available 

Just to honor this post I think we need to get this to 420 replies.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, sugarbird said:

Hmmm... "It's all good" ...until it's not. I'm A-ok with folks catching a buzz while they're parked on their couch, watching a sunset while anchored, sitting around the campfire, etc. But piloting a plane? Driving a truck, bus, taxi or Uber? My dentist while he's drilling a tooth? My doctor when he's trying to "get it all" during surgery? My lawyer when I'm paying him $XXX/hour for advice? A jetski jockey wake jumping/showing off for his girlfriend? A gofast driver coming in the inlet at 60 knots? No, no, no, no, no... it's common sense. Which seems to be becoming less and less common. People have been doing all the above drunk out of their gourds forever - and causing lots of pain, damage and death.

And we tried prohibiting it and made things worse.

12 hours ago, VWAP said:

Vagina beer made with 'essence of hot underwear models' goes on sale for first time

Customers can now buy the beer and taste the 'essence' of good looking models at various pubs after its debut on July 28 in the city of Katowice, Poland

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/vagina-beer-made-essence-hot-13021963

If it tastes like chicken, keep on lickin - it it tastes like trout, get the fuck out..... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

you think prohibiting alcohol is the same as prohibiting doing stupid things while drunk?

in the US driving while impaired is still prohibited, I cant see what that makes worse.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:42 PM, VWAP said:

Vagina beer made with 'essence of hot underwear models' goes on sale for first time....

Mate that post goes into the SA Hall of Fame.

23 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Not for my Aunt and her husband. They made a killing storing gin in the bathtubs in their yacht back in the day. If the revenues tried to board, they would pull the drain plugs and get the fish of Biscayne Bay drunk!

• Like 1

" Furl me up and smoke me when I die" . 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:49 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

Meanwhile in Alaska you're looking at $70 per eighth for half decent. Little supply, much demand...   

70% of last years harvest in Oregon is still unsold and the new harvest is one the way.  Big outdoor grows in Southern Oregon.  Turns out the shit grows like weed!

If anyone has ever cooked on a boat before while high, then they would certainly know how amazing the food is, shits amazing. food already tastes better when you make it on a boat now imagine making it on a boat while high and its basically the best feeling in the world anchored in some foreign harbor cheffin it up afloat blazed and you feel a great sense of accomplishment and hunger for your food like. woah.

• Like 1