Sign in to follow this  
jimmydyurko

Something's wrong with this picture

OK, I was watching this video of a couple guys trying to build their own boat, and this particular spot in the video they're having a remarkably hard time moving the keel.... then I noticed something odd about the picture...

Moving a 9000lb keel 2.png

Oh yeah. People seem to think if it's got some pulleys in there it's going to give them an advantage. Just two days ago I removed the outhaul purchase from the boom, a 2:1 hooked to a 1:2 giving a final purchase of 1:1 but with more friction. Retards. 

regardless of the blocks.   id be worried about the the line snapping  funny stuff there with the 80 year old tractor (the big guns)

Looks like he has a 3:2 purchase, when it could be 3:1 if the comealong was attached to the lower line going to the tree and the sheave it's on now attached directly.

Everything about the wires and tree looks like a Darwin list event.

anyone standing where things could fly is ANY COMPONENT fails is inviting injury or death 

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid 

About 4000 lbs. of that lead came from the Allied Seabreeze that I cut up. We loaded it onto a U-Haul pickup and trailer using what they brought and what I had on hand. Steve (guy with beard) kind of scared me with a couple of times.

image.png.be20501d38fe8b89bfb872ab9acfb3ab.png

He guides mountain or rock climbs and used carabiners and climbing knots which I had no idea whether they were up to the task.

There was one mishap but everybody lived.

Now that I look at the video I think he used the same purchase set-up and shame on me for not realizing it but it was moving the chunks of lead alright.

When I was that age I was probably even more dangerous. I guess that climbing tall things can kill you quick if you don't have some self preservation instincts. Compared to a lot of younger guys they have a pretty amazing skill set. They really are starting from scratch on this boat. At least I give them credit for having the sense to build a proven design (Atkin Ingrid) using appropriate materials and not an origami doodle or home center lumber. I hope they can pull off this build.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:26 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Oh yeah. People seem to think if it's got some pulleys in there it's going to give them an advantage. Just two days ago I removed the outhaul purchase from the boom, a 2:1 hooked to a 1:2 giving a final purchase of 1:1 but with more friction. Retards. 

wow.... that is... that is special. you should probably apologize to your mast guy for always struggle bussing to get the outhaul on at the bottom mark! 

21 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

About 4000 lbs. of that lead came from the Allied Seabreeze that I cut up. We loaded it onto a U-Haul pickup and trailer using what they brought and what I had on hand. Steve (guy with beard) kind of scared me with a couple of times.

image.png.be20501d38fe8b89bfb872ab9acfb3ab.png

He guides mountain or rock climbs and used carabiners and climbing knots which I had no idea whether they were up to the task.

There was one mishap but everybody lived.

Now that I look at the video I think he used the same purchase set-up and shame on me for not realizing it but it was moving the chunks of lead alright.

When I was that age I was probably even more dangerous. I guess that climbing tall things can kill you quick if you don't have some self preservation instincts. Compared to a lot of younger guys they have a pretty amazing skill set. They really are starting from scratch on this boat. At least I give them credit for having the sense to build a proven design (Atkin Ingrid) using appropriate materials and not an origami doodle or home center lumber. I hope they can pull off this build.

I didn't want to start a thread trash talking the entirety of their work...I watched enough of their build videos to see that while they are pretty obviously green, they are doing a lot of important stuff right....just not in that pic ( and they are lucky the keel didn't explode during casting )

Overall they are showing quite an impressive amount of skill and resourcefulness.  I wish them luck.  I'm sure if they pull it off it will be a much better boat than the "worst boat ever" thread I just read... ( a must read )

But they are having an adventure.  Cause the best stories dont start off by saying "remember how we did everything we knew would be safe and easy"

Nope...this video is definitely a "hold my beer" kind of documentary. 

On 8/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, xyzzy said:

Looks like he has a 3:2 purchase, when it could be 3:1 if the comealong was attached to the lower line going to the tree and the sheave it's on now attached directly.

Not to pick, but it looks like 1:1 to me (+ friction)

1:2 from the come along to the block,  then 2:1 to the next block in the system....hard to really see though, kind of blurry.

What caught my eye was watching him flick the rope...it didn't seem to have enough tension considering how hard he was working the lever. 

Still very dangerous.