DDW

This is why I don't like hydraulics....

22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shaggy you must have dementia... remember the whale that keel tried to fillet in a Kepple Race, Hamilton Is delivery, I forget??.

Hi Jack,

Yep, and good point, but I saw no evidence of any leaking even well after the event. 

Why I'm worried is the last time I had it antifouled, the hardstand guys sat it in the keel and didn't bother with a chock between the keel and the hull, (it normally sits 4" away) and I'm worried they hyper-extended the ram. There was a wee bit of hydraulic fluid leaking over the keel when it was sitting on the hard, which I'd never seen prior.

Positive thinking, it'll be a hose.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
10 hours ago, DDW said:

Epilogue: I had Lew Townsend reseal them. Very meticulous gentleman. The piston seals were installed backwards at the last rebuild (by Navtec) which may have contributed to the early demise. Possibly they were confused because these are upside down (pusher). 

Appear to be working again. 

Good outcome...but which leads to your thread rant trashing hydraulics being one having no substance and trashing my advice because you knew better. Just saying :-)

Jack, I have just dispatched a pallet-load of "Let It Go" mugs, beermats, badges, wall-posters, bumper-stickers, fridge magnets, t-shirts etc to you ... 'cos it seems that some unscrupulous person must have stolen all yours

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Good outcome...but which leads to your thread rant trashing hydraulics being one having no substance and trashing my advice because you knew better. Just saying :-)

In no way detracts from my rant about the (true) fact that hydraulics leak as the legion of stories above document. The piston seals must seal on both sides, they prefer a certain orientation gas/liquid but the rebuilder guessed they are about 90% effective either way. 

The useful advice you offered is conspicuous by it's absence, I had nothing to trash. I thought you said you were "out". Just sayin' :). 

• Like 1