George Dewey

Crewsaver Offshore vs Pro PFDs

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have an experience with the Crewsaver life jackets? For the price, at first look, they look fairly competitive against the Spinlock Deckvest 5D. There is the "Pro" and "Offshore" and I'm trying to figure out the difference. Any experience or thoughts on these?

https://crewsaver.com/us/catalogue/recreational/personal-flotation/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the pro version and it is the most comfortable lifejacket I ever had. Before buying I tested lots of different models for comfort and this one came a close second to a secumar which was three times the price. It also got very good reviews. I chose the pro over the os mainly because of the closing mechanism which I think is easier to use on the pro. The one on the offshore requires a little bit of extra length around your hip as it cannot be operated under tension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, neuronz said:

I have the pro version and it is the most comfortable lifejacket I ever had. Before buying I tested lots of different models for comfort and this one came a close second to a secumar which was three times the price. It also got very good reviews. I chose the pro over the os mainly because of the closing mechanism which I think is easier to use on the pro. The one on the offshore requires a little bit of extra length around your hip as it cannot be operated under tension.

Thanks thats very helpful. Besides the closing mechanism is are there any other differences between the pro and offshore? The Crewsaver website has contradictory information. Also, did you get the hammer or automatic inflator? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have the the pro, for me it was more comfortable than the spinlock. I found it put less pressure on the back of my neck but still fit securely. Like you I could not get good info off the website and ended up ordering the pro as it was available in the US and the only model available to try at the local store. I think it is has a more secure harness attachment system and larger straps, but confirm that if important to you. Now with two years of use I am still happy with it.

One issue that bothers me with all these manufactures is they show their PFDs without crotch straps on, but most need them to work properly. The straps on the Crewsaver are not really removable, not that I would anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George Dewey said:

Thanks thats very helpful. Besides the closing mechanism is are there any other differences between the pro and offshore? The Crewsaver website has contradictory information. Also, did you get the hammer or automatic inflator? 

I don't know of any other difference. The details may also have changed since I bought mine.

I have to second that it feels more comfortable than the spinlock. Furthermore, I like being able to easily adjust and release the waist straps while wearing the lifejacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steele said:

One issue that bothers me with all these manufactures is they show their PFDs without crotch straps on, but most need them to work properly. The straps on the Crewsaver are not really removable, not that I would anyway.

Just to confirm, do the crewsavers have crotch straps?

What bugs me even more is that most inflatable pfds (WestMarine, Mustang, Revere, SOS...) in the US do not have crotch straps, even as an option. Unless you go to the very high end (Spinlock Deckvest, etc), and even there it’s hard to know which have the straps vs don’t, unless you dig deep into the product details. 

Everything I have read suggests crotch straps are a must, so it’s a bummer they are hard to find integrated into US models. Is it because they are not USCG approved/required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, galacticair said:

Just to confirm, do the crewsavers have crotch straps?

What bugs me even more is that most inflatable pfds (WestMarine, Mustang, Revere, SOS...) in the US do not have crotch straps, even as an option. Unless you go to the very high end (Spinlock Deckvest, etc), and even there it’s hard to know which have the straps vs don’t, unless you dig deep into the product details. 

Everything I have read suggests crotch straps are a must, so it’s a bummer they are hard to find integrated into US models. Is it because they are not USCG approved/required?

I don't think you can find ANY Spinlock inflatable PFDs without crotch or thigh straps.  Mustang sells optional crotch straps for their PFD's and most other brands do as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read that USCG does not require crotch straps because doing so would reduce PFD use even more than the already low rate. They are choosing to accept a less safe product rather than have boaters use none at all. This is of course is not a unique situation. If we would put up with 4 point harnesses in cars they would not need 6 airbags, but most of us would not find that acceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spoke with a guy at Crewsaver who is a regional sales manager, great guy who spent a lot of time discussing a tiny purchase with me.

Regarding the Pro vs the Offshore, they are the same except for the way they buckle. Both models have dual crotch straps, harness, automatic and manual inflation, light, whistle, spray hood and 190N of buoyancy. Both models are available with the hydrostatic or automatic inflator (the hydrostatic 'Hammar" requires about 4 inches of immersion to fire). I asked how sensitive the automatic is to spray and rain and he told me in the past few years they have improved it greatly and its not very sensitive at all. In the past, exposure to humidity over time would cause the pellet to dissolve and fire it off when it should not.

The part numbers are:

9115BKAP       ErgoFit Pro with automatic inflator, 190N buoyancy 

9115BKHP       ErgoFit Pro with hammar inflator, 190N buoyancy 

9125BKAP       ErgoFit Offshore with automatic inflator, 190N buoyancy 

9125BKHP       ErgoFit Offshore with hammar inflator, 190N buoyancy 

9135BKHP       ErgoFit Ocean with hammar inflator, 290N buoyancy 

9145BKHP       ErgoFit Extreme with hammar inflator, 290N buoyancy 

 

I'm still looking for the best pricing, but from what I have seen so far these are priced much more nicely than Spinlock Deckvest 5D.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use the 9115BKHP for night and rougher conditions, and the much lighter 180N 9025BKA (which comes with a single crotch strap) at all other times.

Wetsuit Outlet (aka Watersports Outlet in the US) did ask me if I was aware that the 9115BKHP was not approved by USCG, so not sure if that may be an issue for some.

WO shipping costs form the UK to my Florida-based freight forwarder were very reasonable, so don't feel restricted to using the US store, BTW. (This is not intended to be an ad - I'm just a satisfied customer of theirs for a number of reasons.)

No unexpected inflations from either during the year we have had them, but we have not tested them either. I just checked the cylinders were properly fitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seabell said:

We use the 9115BKHP for night and rougher conditions, and the much lighter 180N 9025BKA (which comes with a single crotch strap) at all other times.

Wetsuit Outlet (aka Watersports Outlet in the US) did ask me if I was aware that the 9115BKHP was not approved by USCG, so not sure if that may be an issue for some.

WO shipping costs form the UK to my Florida-based freight forwarder were very reasonable, so don't feel restricted to using the US store, BTW. (This is not intended to be an ad - I'm just a satisfied customer of theirs for a number of reasons.)

No unexpected inflations from either during the year we have had them, but we have not tested them either. I just checked the cylinders were properly fitted.

I just ordered from WO a few days ago, and I'm expecting my package today. I ordered a pair of 9135BKHP vests, because the price difference from the 9125BKHP was small enough to make it an (almost) no brainer. Their pricing is extremely reasonable and shipping to the US is free and takes just a few days. They should arrive any minute and I'll post an update later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Crewsaver models look good, thanks everyone for the information. Very timely for me.

Does anyone know if they can convert to manual-inflation only?  (the spinlocks have a small kit for this, basically removes the automatic inflator and replaces with a small plug). I sail multihulls and don’t want to risk auto inflation in capsize scenarios.  

I do think the Crewsaver site and specs info could be a whole lot better. Their model nomenclature is basically impossible to understand, and it’s rarely clear how features differ (@George Dewey: you give the best description i’ve seen, and that’s after spending a fair bit of time researching the models online). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, galacticair said:

The Crewsaver models look good, thanks everyone for the information. Very timely for me.

Does anyone know if they can convert to manual-inflation only?  (the spinlocks have a small kit for this, basically removes the automatic inflator and replaces with a small plug). I sail multihulls and don’t want to risk auto inflation in capsize scenarios.  

I do think the Crewsaver site and specs info could be a whole lot better. Their model nomenclature is basically impossible to understand, and it’s rarely clear how features differ (@George Dewey: you give the best description i’ve seen, and that’s after spending a fair bit of time researching the models online). 

Saying that the Crewsaver website could be a whole lot better is certainly being polite. As I posted prior, I was so frustrated with it that I called Crewsaver in the US and ended up speaking with one of the regional sales reps, who was very knowledgeable and very willing to help me. I just sent him a note asking if the automatic can be converted to manual only and I'll let you know what he says. My guess is yes, because the inflator looks just like the one used in the Deckvest, although I don't know for sure its the same one. But they sure do look alike.

My pair of ErgoFit 290N OC (Ocean) vests arrived today, just a few days after I placed the order from WO in the UK. They came via UPS International Saver. These PFDs are heavier than I expected, but they are not unreasonably heavy. They seem very sturdy. It was easy to put one on and tighten the webbing around my waist. Just tug on it and it tightens. Pulling the orange tabs released the webbing easily so I could get it off. The buckle in the front is metal and seems very sturdy. The 190N Pro model has a pair of plastic buckles. I think I prefer the metal one that the offshore, ocean and extreme have. The only thing I have not figured out yet is how to wrap up the extra webbing once I pull it tight. There are elastic loops to hold it, but its not obvious how to run the webbing through them and it seems like I would need a helper to reach them.

I opened one up and everything that was supposed to be in there was in there. That includes the spray hood, light and whistle. Of course the Hammar inflator and the large CO2 cylinder (the 190N models use a smaller cylinder). It was easy to burst open and easy to zip back up. I didn't orally inflate it. I also noticed that it has an external pocket for a safety knife. The pocket zips closed and has a short, elastic lanyard inside it at the top. I think the 190N Offshore also has this, and I know the Pro does not. I don't know exactly the differences between the Ocean and Extreme, although both are available only with 290N buoyancy and the Hammar inflator (not the automatic). 

I paid $US 275 each for these delivered (free shipping) and I'm pretty happy with them. As soon as I figure out about tucking in the webbing I'll probably be very happy. Pricing from WO on the 9125BKHP (ErgoFit 190N Offshore with Hammar inflator, hood, light and harness) is $US 215. The 9115BKAP (ErgoFit Pro with automatic inflator, 190N buoyancy) is just $US 180. The only trick is that these are not on their US website. They told me the reason for this is that they are not USCG approved (I explained we can still use them in the US). So to order, go to the UK website, find it, switch to the US website and then add it to your cart.  They have the rearm kits as well. 

Finally, after I ordered these I found out that Vella Sailing Supply in Texas recently started to sell these but don't have them on their website yet. I didn't get pricing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 3:27 AM, galacticair said:

Does anyone know if they can convert to manual-inflation only?  (the spinlocks have a small kit for this, basically removes the automatic inflator and replaces with a small plug). I sail multihulls and don’t want to risk auto inflation in capsize scenarios.   

Looks like this is not doable. The guy I emailed responded and suggested other Crewsaver gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth does a company with less than 100 products need a model number like 9125BKHP? Eight alpha-numeric characters has 2,821,109,907,456 combination - nearly 600 unique model numbers for every person on the planet.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 12:56 PM, George Dewey said:

Looks like this is not doable. The guy I emailed responded and suggested other Crewsaver gear. 

Thank you for checking.  From what I looked at, all their manual stuff is more inshore/coastal, nowhere near the same full specs of their 190N Offshore models.  Bummer.  

I like the idea of a good Hammar inflator, but I still don’t believe in it during a multihull capsize - once you’re in the water you want to be able to move away quick before a multi turtles, not being hobbled by a large inflated pfd...

Back to browsing Spinlock deckvests I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup I see your point. If I had an automatic I would just try the conversion kit from Spinlock. At least in the pictures and videos I have seen it looks like the inflators are very similar. Good luck, I hope you find what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, seabell said:

We use the 9115BKHP for night and rougher conditions, and the much lighter 180N 9025BKA (which comes with a single crotch strap) at all other times.

Hi, since I'm wondering exactly between those two models - can you please share what is their weight? I was not able to find that information online and don't have shop nearby which stock them :/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, galacticair said:

The Crewsaver models look good, thanks everyone for the information. Very timely for me.

Does anyone know if they can convert to manual-inflation only?  (the spinlocks have a small kit for this, basically removes the automatic inflator and replaces with a small plug). I sail multihulls and don’t want to risk auto inflation in capsize scenarios.  

I do think the Crewsaver site and specs info could be a whole lot better. Their model nomenclature is basically impossible to understand, and it’s rarely clear how features differ (@George Dewey: you give the best description i’ve seen, and that’s after spending a fair bit of time researching the models online). 

I think you'll find there are only three auto inflators in common use.  My crewsavers have the UML cartridge. To convert to manual you remove the auto part (black plastic with an expiry date printed on it) and replace with a plastic cap. 

 If you have hammar auto inflators then there's a different manual conversion  system that's widely available. 

 The parts are not specific to the lifejacket maker but to the release mechanism maker. 

Cheers,

               W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got the  Ergofit 190 Pro at West Marine. On sale about $260. You can find cheaper online. Most comfortable inflatable PFD I have ever worn. Tried the Mustang earlier today and the Spinlock last week and the Crewsaver just felt best around the neck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General question, is a Hammer inflation lifejacket a common choice? and are the re-arming kits universal between brands?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnCutter said:

General question, is a Hammer inflation lifejacket a common choice? and are the re-arming kits universal between brands?

Thanks

I don't know what's a "common" choice but the Hammar inflators are a bit different than the "automatic" inflators. There are several different types of automatic but I think the Hammar is all the same. The Hammar requires about 4 inches of immersion before it will trigger, and also has cord to pull for manual inflation. The reason people might choose the Hammar over the automatic is because the automatics, at least in the past, had a tendency to inflate after prolonged exposure to humidity or extremely wet conditions, like rain or lots of spray. A regional sales manager for CrewSaver told me that the automatics have improved considerably in the past few years. All the inflators should be inspected annually, and the automatics have a little pill or capsule of some type that has an expiration date. Its easy to buy and replace, but it should be done. 

 

As for rearming kits, they are not universal but as someone said, there are not many to choose from.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned earlier, I bought a pair of 9135BKHP (ErgoFit Ocean with hammar inflator, 290N buoyancy), one for myself and one for my girlfriend. As it turns out these come in one size and we could not make the straps tight enough to fit her snugly. She is pretty small. It still has the crotch straps but if it does not fit snugly its probably not going to be fun having it bounce around. 

I can send it back to the UK but if anyone wants it I'll sent it to you for the $270 (delivered) I paid for it. 

As for mine, I'm very happy with it. Its very comfortable and easy to wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most if not all inflatable lifejacket manufacturers buy the inflator parts from a inflator manufacturer.  The lifejacket manufacturers package and sell the re-arm and manual modification kits, I am not sure if any inflator manufacturers sell them retail.

 http://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/deckware/lifejacket-inflation-systems-explained

http://www.halkeyroberts.com/products/inflation/manualautomatic-inflators-new.aspx

https://www.uml.co.uk/products.html

https://www.cmhammar.com/products/personal-safety-mob/

Edited by schessor
added links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, schessor said:

I think most if not all inflatable lifejacket manufacturers buy the inflator parts from a inflator manufacturer.  The lifejacket manufacturers package and sell the re-arm and manual modification kits, I am not sure if any inflator manufacturers sell them retail.

 http://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/deckware/lifejacket-inflation-systems-explained

http://www.halkeyroberts.com/products/inflation/manualautomatic-inflators-new.aspx

https://www.uml.co.uk/products.html

https://www.cmhammar.com/products/personal-safety-mob/

ok thanks for that. So basically 'Hammer' is a brand in itself.. and thus lifejackets with 'hammer' inflators buy their bits from the same place. 

My question was targeted around easily and quickly getting re-arming kits once lifejacket is used. I am looking at a Crewsaver lifejacket with hammer inflation, but as far as i am aware they are not sold locally. so if i do use the lifejacket, i am wondering whether i can then go to the local shop and buy say a Spinlock Hammer inflator and install that on my Crewsaver lifejacket and thus not having to order it in.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnCutter said:

ok thanks for that. So basically 'Hammer' is a brand in itself.. and thus lifejackets with 'hammer' inflators buy their bits from the same place. 

My question was targeted around easily and quickly getting re-arming kits once lifejacket is used. I am looking at a Crewsaver lifejacket with hammer inflation, but as far as i am aware they are not sold locally. so if i do use the lifejacket, i am wondering whether i can then go to the local shop and buy say a Spinlock Hammer inflator and install that on my Crewsaver lifejacket and thus not having to order it in.

Thanks.

I don't know for sure but I would bet not. However, if you're doing an offshore race, you'll want to have a spare inflator with you. If you go overboard on day 2 you'll need a working PFD for the rest of the race. Some racing rules actually require at least one spare inflator for each type of PFD in use on board. So... Just order a spare inflator when you order your PFD. I ordered my stuff from WO in the UK and had it in Rhode Island two days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnCutter said:

ok thanks for that. So basically 'Hammer' is a brand in itself.. and thus lifejackets with 'hammer' inflators buy their bits from the same place. 

My question was targeted around easily and quickly getting re-arming kits once lifejacket is used. I am looking at a Crewsaver lifejacket with hammer inflation, but as far as i am aware they are not sold locally. so if i do use the lifejacket, i am wondering whether i can then go to the local shop and buy say a Spinlock Hammer inflator and install that on my Crewsaver lifejacket and thus not having to order it in.

Thanks.

Yes - but - the manual handle might be different for the different brands - but you should be able to transfer the handle from your old inflator.

 

There is also a price difference depending what "branded" version of the re-arm kit you buy.  Traditionally the Mustang brand is the cheapest in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 12:16 AM, Rain said:

Hi, since I'm wondering exactly between those two models - can you please share what is their weight? I was not able to find that information online and don't have shop nearby which stock them :/

 

Since no one reply I'll try to help the next one at least :)

I bought both of them for me and a friend. The 9115BKHP seems a lot more "professional" lets say. But this leads to weight disadvantage -> 1.8kg vs 0.8kg for the 9025BKA.

Those weights are +- 100 grams due to the scale we use for weighting them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now