Sign in to follow this  
triumph72

Think I may have another go..

I'm 50 and live in the South of England; the last time I did any dinghy sailing was when I was about 20 - did some club racing in a Topper - won a cup or two. It was fun.

Just starting to think I should have another go. Ideally looking for a bit of advice re class of dinghy. I'm about 5'.9" weigh a pathetic 62 kgs. What singlehander would be suitable for a bit of club racing given my lack of weight?

Also - I have a bit of an issue with the sun, I need to keep protected from it - I know there is SFP clothing available. Is there any good sun block that works and stays on when wet?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

For your weight the Laser Radial is doable, you are a bit on the light side, but it also depends on the venue and the prevailing conditions. You are too light for a Solo, but fit the age group perfectly, I don’t know what the ideal weights are for the various Aero rigs, maybe give Steve Cockerill at Rooster sailing in Fareham a call, he can probably advise you on both your questions, boat and sunblock.

Good luck, you live in one of the best areas in the world to go dinghy sailing, miss my time at Hayling Island, will be in Emsworth on Tuesday catching up with sailing mates.

Race and enjoy whatever boat you like that is raced nearby in sufficient numbers. If dinghy RACING is your goal then do not buy a boat you like but nobody races it. You cannot race alone. Glad you're giving it a go again. Happy Sailing!

I wear a stinger suit that I bought in Port Douglas. Perfect for sun protection, my only exposed bits are fingers and face.

As to which boat go to your nearest club and talk with people.

The boat in my avatar is a 14ft beach cat. I'm 70kg and one of the best helms is only 60 something. In the paper tigers one of the guys in our club can't be more than 62 and he's one of the top international sailors, also the leading sailmaker.

2 hours ago, xonk1 said:

Race and enjoy whatever boat you like that is raced nearby in sufficient numbers. If dinghy RACING is your goal then do not buy a boat you like but nobody races it. You cannot race alone. Glad you're giving it a go again. Happy Sailing!

The above quote is great advice.

But if RS Aeros are sailed near you, rest assured that someone of your weight can sail an RS Aero with its 3 different rig sizes.

62kgs actually falls near the bottom of the recommended range for the RS Aero 7 (middle sail size) but you might be happier with the smaller 5 rig initially or in stronger winds. The table of recommended crew weights is in the brochure at https://www.rssailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/RS-Aero-Brochure.pdf 

If you can, try both the 5 and 7 rigs before you buy.

Hi, thank you for the replies. Given their popularity and availability I'll keep my eyes open for a Laser Radial in my area. 

Now that there's a new game in town ( the RS Aero ) one would THINK that there are some Lasers hitting the market - what typically happens is the guys into new toys get the fresh new face, the people REALLY keen on the old class sponge up the best examples in the cast-off fleet and the mid-market old boats can be found for a song.  I have seen it time and again.  Shop carefully and a guy can really score.

That said,  if you are 'successful' enough to have the dough to spend, a shiny new RS Aero would be pretty sweet - the new design IS better in a bunch of ways.