BWR

2018 I-14 Worlds

http://i14worlds2018.com

We should at least start the discussions!  Apparently 5 containers already at Richmond Yacht Club.  Sounds like some of the young guns have been sailing most of the month of July at the Gorge.  Then have been sailing everyday in SF.  Sounds like some of the foreign contingent will start arriving this next week and even more next weekend.

• Like 1

Discussion? Let's start a betting pool! $50 on local rockstars Mikey Radziejowski and Evan Sjostedt. 1/2 odds. C'mon! Somebody take me up on this. I'm a man of my word and will 100% venmo you your winnings.

DRC

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Polish and Evan should certainly do well, they are the ones who have been sailing nonstop for the last month (+).  And, as you know, Mikey won the IC Worlds as a kid on the same venue.   One of the big air favorites also would have been Brad Devine and Footy from Perth, but they aren't making the trip.  AUS does send Dave Hayter and Trent Neighbor who will be strong as always as will Mark Kristic and James Ianti.  Former World Champs Lindsay Irwin and Andrew Perry are alway in the mix.  Keep an close eye on the UK Young Guns Neale Jones and Ed Fitzgerald (both sons of long time 14 sailors Martin Jones and Andy Fitz who will also be sailing)  Father / Son team of Andy and Tom Partington are always good in breeze, also Douglas Pattison and Mark Tait have been knocking on the door for awhile.  From Germany -Georg Borkenstein and (Big) Eike Dietrich should be good in big breeze as well.  Several other boats from AUS, CAN, GBR, GER, and USA as well.  Apparently you're playing bookie, so keep track of things for us!

• Downvote 1

How does Richmond compare to St Francis in terms of the sailing area used? 

I did a 29er worlds at St Francis and it was very fresh wind against tide every afternoon. 29ers are pretty robust, but I imagine with 14 fleet it would be carnage. 

Mozzy,

Berkely circle we are assured is less brutal. Minimal current, and less wind that st Francis. Us fleet has had successful 14 nationals etc there recently. 

Think 15-20 most afternoons south part towards Oakland. A lot less in the Lee of Angel Island.

Dan

Berserkley Circle is definitely less of a one way track than the Cityfront however the waves will stack in an ebb as it's also very shallow but probably the best racing venue in the bay for a large fleet. See everyone up there next week! Should be epic both on and off the water. For those traveling from afar, welcome to "Merica," my 14 brothers and sisters.

USA 1168

MAPFRE

36737224615_87dec7d9c5_k.jpg

• Like 1

Berkeley Circle is a lot more uniform across the course.  There's a ton of local knowledge at play on the cityfront, which is great fun for locals, not necessarily what you'd want for a Worlds.  Less boat traffic on the Circle, too.  Oh and less danger of getting sucked upside down out the gate....  I can confirm that the tides go both ways in both places though :-)

I’m tired... was fresh out there today. The results show it. 

Looks like more of the same today...  hope the broken bits all got repaired.

Looking at the day 2 video on vr media shows the asym retrieval line wrapped under the bow.  How do they clear that?

Linz & Perry lovin' the uprange......woulda been a tough call for Linz....Hammo with Pillow or the 14 worlds in a breeze? (nano-seconds later....)

• Like 1

Out of interest, how many I14s have horizontal foils on the rudder? All? Most?

30 minutes ago, RobG said:

Out of interest, how many I14s have horizontal foils on the rudder? All? Most?

All

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Connor.kainalu said:

Magic

That sounds easier than crawling out on the bow.  I'll have to try it.

Anybody know what hull GBR 1556 is?  I like that chine half way up, is that to deflect water? It's the boat being sailed by Daniel Holman and Alex Knight.

1 hour ago, WCB said:

Anybody know what hull GBR 1556 is?  I like that chine half way up, is that to deflect water? It's the boat being sailed by Daniel Holman and Alex Knight.

I knew it looked familiar from somewhere

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgmckim said:

I knew it looked familiar from somewhere

Thanks for the connection...I forgot about that thread.

Good to see @Daniel Holman banging in some top results! A few more counters and nice the drop come in they could be right in the mix. 

Obviously I got to root for home club and good mates, the Tom and Andy Partington. 

Is it one more race or two now? I lose track, seems like such a long event with the team racing as well. 

5 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Good to see @Daniel Holman banging in some top results! A few more counters and nice the drop come in they could be right in the mix. 

Obviously I got to root for home club and good mates, the Tom and Andy Partington. 

Is it one more race or two now? I lose track, seems like such a long event with the team racing as well. 

2 more scheduled.

11 minutes ago, sailhmb said:

Can anyone explain the purpose of the 3 dark ribbons radiating from the main and jib tacks on #1162? @4:25

Looks like reinforcing on the first three radial seams from the tack. They are only on starboard side of the sail. Could just be for aesthetics? 

Sometimes there are similar marks out from the jib clew to help eyeball sheeting angle, but I can't see a purpose for similar calibration at the tack of the main and jib. 

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Looks like reinforcing on the first three radial seams from the tack. They are only on starboard side of the sail. Could just be for aesthetics? 

Sometimes there are similar marks out from the jib clew to help eyeball sheeting angle, but I can't see a purpose for similar calibration at the tack of the main and jib. 

If you line up all 6 stripes when Mars is in retrograde you unlock the powers of the great Ragoobabaa. The powers allow you to actually come fully out of the water and sail directly into the wind 

It's just reinforcement on the seams on both sides. Probably overkill tbh but I like the way they look and is a standard feature on our sails.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, foredeckhell said:

If you line up all 6 stripes when Mars is in retrograde you unlock the powers of the great Ragoobabaa. The powers allow you to actually come fully out of the water and sail directly into the wind 

It's just reinforcement on the seams on both sides. Probably overkill tbh but I like the way they look and is a standard feature on our sails.

Ragoobabaa? Is he or she related to my patron saint, the great Kahuna?  

Thanks for the info on the reinforcement strips.  Hope the boys can stay in the top10. Tough fleet.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:10 AM, Skaf said:

Montage video from VR Sport.  These guys did a great job.  

https://vrsport.tv/vr-media/international-14-world-champs-2018-its-a-wrap/

Congrats to Tom & Andy and everyone else who battled it out all week.  Thanks also to Del and the RYC race committee, who executed a flawless regatta.  

Agreed, great production. I just kept waiting to see a tack or a jibe... in any of the vids.

I miss 14ing...

On 9/1/2018 at 8:30 AM, Liquid said:

Agreed, great production. I just kept waiting to see a tack or a jibe... in any of the vids.

I miss 14ing...

Let's just say that. with the big breeze last week, a lot of corners were banged...

The corners were banged because anybody who tried a conservative middle approach got smacked.

2 hours ago, 669 said:

The corners were banged because anybody who tried a conservative middle approach got smacked.

Truth

Tacks are always expensive in i14. Most of the week was a right hand track anyhow, and often windy enough to be in manoeuvre minimisation territory upwind and down. 

Last few days were moderate and I was not alone in starting to look at shifts / lanes etc and throw in more tacks and  gybes. Nobody came good out of the middle tho so tacking more about clearing air if necessary, ie top guys in r5,6,7 still didn’t tack or gybe much, hammering out to the side that paid off on first beat for them.