Mid

holy christ!

from the front page ............ :)

stolen-from-fb.jpg

now , who's got the story ?

BTDT in an S20

Looks like Pinotage on Lake Dillon.

not sure when but those microbursts are not a terribly unusual occurrence. Welcome to hign mtn lakes

VM

Hello dear, can I call you back?  We've got a bit on ...

Heh heh believe it or not I have had that call in similar conditions!!

didn’t take it though

9 hours ago, Mid said:

from the front page ............ :)

stolen-from-fb.jpg

now , who's got the story ?

On coastal waters, you'd call that a "white squall" where a sudden burst of wind raises smoke from the water's surface. A bad sign when you see it coming, a bad surprise when you don't...... on mountain lakes you don't have a lot of fetch upwind to see 'em coming.

I don't see shets of water being blown off the main, so it doesn't look like a knockdown. Looks like that spinnaker is going to need some duct tape tho'..................

FB- Doug

One of those caught the lead Ensign at the ‘92 Nationals at Lake Canandigua,NY. Spinnaker run in light air and all of a sudden from the only cloud above a huge rush of air came down and totally broached the boat in about at least 50 knots of wind. The boat nearly sank since someone had removed the floatation to save weight. We didn’t even feel a puff back in the mid fleet zone...

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

On coastal waters, you'd call that a "white squall" where a sudden burst of wind raises smoke from the water's surface. A bad sign when you see it coming, a bad surprise when you don't...... on mountain lakes you don't have a lot of fetch upwind to see 'em coming.

I don't see shets of water being blown off the main, so it doesn't look like a knockdown. Looks like that spinnaker is going to need some duct tape tho'..................

FB- Doug

That spin needs a priest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz said:

That spin needs priest.

That must be what the "Holy Christ" caption is referring to.  Otherwise, what does JC have to do with anything in that picture?

10 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

That must be what the "Holy Christ" caption is referring to.  Otherwise, what does JC have to do with anything in that picture?

Walks on water?

1 hour ago, weightless said:

Walks on water?

Useful superpower, but wasn't that the Silver Surfer or Aquaman?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Dunno. Could be. Apparently SOP for JC even in difficult weather.

4 hours ago, weightless said:

Walks on water?

"Put it all up.  If Jesus don't like it, he will take it down..." 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

"What man proposes, God disposes" is the Church of England version of that quote.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:
6 hours ago, weightless said:

Walks on water?

Excellent.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

all time classic there 

well done

6 hours ago, nroose said:

Ed had the chance to say "FUCK ZUCK", and missed it.

nope , it's there on the front page  ......................

4 minutes ago, daffy said:

Kieith Lawrence once told me God would take it down!lmfao

He stole that line from Mark Brink, IIRC. 

Or maybe it was from his brother Greg.

Ease the vang a tad, and see if you can get a bit more jib halyard.  Cunningham and outhaul look good.  And stow that pole, mate, what are you at? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mid said:

nope , it's there on the front page  ......................

Nope, no it’s not.  You missed the point.

"hello, Satan? yeah it's me again... I thought you said if i married your daughter we'd be even... what the fuck is this shit?"

• Like 2

Sorry we could fix your kite but there are too many pieces missing . Please comb the shookine and bring In the missing pieces.

1 hour ago, Kevlar Edge said:

Sorry we could fix your kite but there are too many pieces missing . Please comb the shookine and bring In the missing pieces.

what's a shookine? 

17 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:
1 hour ago, Kevlar Edge said:

what's a shookine? 

If you have to ask, you can't afford one

FB- Doug

22 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

One of those caught the lead Ensign at the ‘92 Nationals at Lake Canandigua,NY. Spinnaker run in light air and all of a sudden from the only cloud above a huge rush of air came down and totally broached the boat in about at least 50 knots of wind. The boat nearly sank since someone had removed the floatation to save weight. We didn’t even feel a puff back in the mid fleet zone...

I once watched one of these take chairs from the Fleet Reserve Club and fling them across Ego Alley at a boat bucking like a bronco on meth in her slip. I was 10 slips away in calm air.

We got hit with one while doing the Chicago NOODs about 15 years ago. Upwind leg blowing 12-15 all I heard was my trimmer yell "oh fuck, hold on", I was looking at the S2 along side of us and never saw it coming. The only notice my trimmer had was the two boats in front of us rolled out and flattened, he never saw the wind on the water until it hit the boats ahead. We got crushed next, all I remember is seeing the spreader hit the water, we blew the jib halyard while pinned and came up downwind on a full plane! That J/24 never went that fast...  

After the initial burst the entire fleet was treated to a vicious hale storm. The skipper of the S2 caught up to me afterwards and said he saw our keel pop out of the water but he was never touched. Unfortunately one of the T-tens got dis-masted behind us, I believe it was Waterworks. You have to love Chicago weather.

FRENZY

Had one of these roll through when sailing in a J22 on Carter Lake (in Northern Colorado) in 2000 or 2001.  We were lucky to be able to get our sails down (roughly) and it ended before we were blown onto the beach.  There was another boat that was not so lucky and had one or two crew go overboard.  Luckily they had their life jackets on as mountain lake water is very cold!  

From the photo can't tell if it's a microburst or a williwaw. You get both on Dillon and other mountain lakes up here. you're always looking over your shoulder. hate to monday morning quarterback a well sailed boat, but I think I woulda been ready on the spin halyard. a wet kite is better than that mess.

1 hour ago, FRENZY said:

We got hit with one while doing the Chicago NOODs about 15 years ago. Upwind leg blowing 12-15 all I heard was my trimmer yell "oh fuck, hold on", I was looking at the S2 along side of us and never saw it coming. The only notice my trimmer had was the two boats in front of us rolled out and flattened, he never saw the wind on the water until it hit the boats ahead. We got crushed next, all I remember is seeing the spreader hit the water, we blew the jib halyard while pinned and came up downwind on a full plane! That J/24 never went that fast...  

After the initial burst the entire fleet was treated to a vicious hale storm. The skipper of the S2 caught up to me afterwards and said he saw our keel pop out of the water but he was never touched. Unfortunately one of the T-tens got dis-masted behind us, I believe it was Waterworks. You have to love Chicago weather.

FRENZY

Lots of stories like this from all over the Great Lakes. Anybody who says the Great Lakes have no real sailing should try it sometime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

what's a shookine? 

A typo it should have 

shore line

11 hours ago, Left Shift said:

He stole that line from Mark Brink, IIRC. 

Or maybe it was from his brother Greg.

One of Brinks best lines was "what does RIP mean" after using the head at the loft. In  the shitter someone wrote  John Lennon, dates, and RIP.

I think my quote was from the islander 40 that we pitchpoled in a 3 tree point race where I prayed the top would blow up. And spell the name right!!

Years ago there was a poster here swearing they held a kite up in 50+ knots on a J/24 during one race in the PNW.  He was pretty much laughed out of here.  Finally there's a picture showing why.  Good times.

36 minutes ago, r.finn said:

Years ago there was a poster here swearing they held a kite up in 50+ knots on a J/24 during one race in the PNW.  He was pretty much laughed out of here.  Finally there's a picture showing why.  Good times.

it works if you use bungee cord as a kite halyard. 

2 hours ago, RATM said:

Lots of stories like this from all over the Great Lakes. Anybody who says the Great Lakes have no real sailing should try it sometime.

We sailed out of Belmont Harbor one afternoon under full spinnaker about 2 miles off shore are 2 boats sailing in under full spinnaker. I said to my bowman we should take down the kite, he said why? "I duno just a hunch"...

2 hours ago, RATM said:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/video/ConfoWSc

What the video (and news story) don't mention is that it was 96F outside with winds SSW at 4-7kt, then the wind shifted instantly to NNE at 38 sustained, temperature dropped to 53F. This J/24 got caught with a motor that wouldn't start and a 2kt inbound current (due to the seiche that came with the wind). 

We were already out in the big lake when the shift came through. Went from shorts and open beers to doing 16+ under just the main within 10 sec.

20 hours ago, Left Shift said:

It was Elvis! He invented waterskiing closely after he invented rock'n'roll.

1 hour ago, r.finn said:

I watched a boat hang to their kite in 40+/-. It was a Tartan of some kind and buried the bow to the mast before the nylon parted ways with the rest of the boat :o

You ever have a couple of guys over the side standing on a J-24 keel to get it up again? 

Mediterranean Mistral off Toulon in 81.  Wiped the Windex off underwater, so it was not a fast mode.  We finished the race anyway with a small jib and no main. 

The spinnaker had gone to Italy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

You ever have a couple of guys over the side standing on a J-24 keel to get it up again? 

Mediterranean Mistral off Toulon in 81.  Wiped the Windex off underwater, so it was not a fast mode.  We finished the race anyway with a small jib and no main. 

The spinnaker had gone to Italy.

Ask Mark from syc about sinking a j 24 in the first race in a Japan national champ.

They raised it and went on to win the regretta!

4 hours ago, glexpress said:

You know it's a good shot of wind when the hanked jib starts to hoist itself.

90 feet of wind?

• Like 1

Upstate NY. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes (or less, some days). It'll change.

Great shot - a million years ago at a J24 Nationals at RBYC a front came through...we could all see it coming and that it was going to be full on....we were leading the race and were selfishly concerned that the RC would pull the pin, but fortunately we just managed to cross the line and scramble to get the sails down....literally stomping on the main down the hatch in our rush. When it hit it was 70kts plus and we were heeled right over under bare poles and running hard to the harbour....others weren't so lucky as The Phantom ended up on the beach and others had people literally standing on keels like dinghies......with the front's passing we strung together all the spin sheets and dragged the boat off the beach and back to the hard stand....beers and stories all round back at the club. Basho went on to win the series (again)

wind mountain, columbia river gorge, double damned 2011...saw water rise like smoke from a campfire for only the second time in my life (first was off pt conception). got the words "hold on bo..." as i watched it hit and dump d.hodges first, and it didn't let me finish the sentence. mr. trew somewhere has pictures of four or five of us still plastered afterwards....

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Yes, and without a kite up. I have also walked along a J24 boom to release the kite halyard on the mast.

Friends of mine were on one of three J24s blown flat in Adelaide during a CYCSA race some years back. The other two sank.

So well done the FP J24 for (I assume) staying upright.

1 hour ago, The Lucky One said:

If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes

Sorrey, State motto of Maine, ist saimething juste in Latin; "Quod si tibi non placet tempestas, exspecto quinque aliquamdiu"

:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kevlar Edge said:

A typo it should have 

shore line

Dissmisse, Hese enjoines bening difficultte.  We stille licke hime.                           :)

Dillon Open Regatta. Look at the pine trees in the background. Straight up. Eye witnesses say a big microburst with hail. 10 minutes after this pic it was blowing a pleasant 10-12.

Jesus hates J/24's

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stiffler's Mom said:

Jesus hates J/24's

He muste of criewed on oune to.                                        :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sorrey, State motto of Maine, ist saimething juste in Latin; "Quod si tibi non placet tempestas, exspecto quinque aliquamdiu"

Tempesta was involved?

I knew it!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Stiffler's Mom said:

Dillon Open Regatta. Look at the pine trees in the background. Straight up. Eye witnesses say a big microburst with hail. 10 minutes after this pic it was blowing a pleasant 10-12.

Jesus hates J/24's

He’s not alone.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
2 hours ago, Stiffler's Mom said:

Jesus hates J/24's

He muste of criewed on oune to.     

I thought Jesus did bow...... just not on J-24s, or probably not J-105s either

FB- Doug

I give full credit to that J24.  They have not capsized and they are not sinking.  We all can tell stories of J24s that broached in microbursts and went straight to the bottom.

Very seamanlike to stitch those seams just right so the spin shreds before the boat sinks. 

Impressed.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 8:00 PM, Foreverslow said:

Is that like the song, "Jesus, take the wheel!"

This kind of thing does happen in the mountains once in a while, I've been caught in two so far here in Park City.

June 2009 - Dinghy regatta - blowing 70mph and zero visibility, came in like a freight train through Provo canyon. I sat on the bottom of my overturned Laser, leaning on the daggerboard to keep it from falling out. About fifteen minutes later it cleared to a beautiful day and I was alone on the lake. All of the other boats had washed to shore, many abandoned, lots of nearly hypothermic sailors.

July 2012 - out sailing a Park City Sailing J22 with my pregnant wife, dog, and father-in-law. This time I saw a dust devil stir up off the highway and then the marina. Happy to have a roller furler so the jib went away quickly. Sent the wife and dog down below, handed the father-in-law my beer and had him pin the tiller so I could go pull the main down and lash it.  10 Minutes later I had the main back up, beer back in my hand and our brunch sail continued. The other J22 out that day wasn't so lucky, they didn't see it coming, and they got knocked down a couple of times with sails up. Ironically the guy sailing the other J22 was one of the nearly hypothermic guys from the 2009 incident. He got separated from his Laser and was left floating out in the lake and a motorboat happened to pass by when it was zero vis.  Some fishermen heading back to the marina.

We were on Dillon in 2014 for the Bucc 18 championship, was blowing 5 at the start of the race, 8 ish by the windward mark.  We all set our kites...nobody made it to the leeward mark.  

Wind held about 40 for nearly a, hour.  Had to call rescue crews....

No chance in Hell I'm ever going there again. 

20 hours ago, J28 said:

Nope, no it’s not.  You missed the point.

Untitled.jpg

On 8/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, Stiletto said:

Had one of these roll through when sailing in a J22 on Carter Lake (in Northern Colorado) in 2000 or 2001.  We were lucky to be able to get our sails down (roughly) and it ended before we were blown onto the beach.  There was another boat that was not so lucky and had one or two crew go overboard.  Luckily they had their life jackets on as mountain lake water is very cold!  

Think I was there that year too. Was that the year when the capri 24 and the J22 rolled in to each other in one of them things?

As they death rolled towards each other Capri's masthead launched J22 Kite from the companionway and both headed down hill fast tied together at the masthead! Miraculously the mess untangled itself without assistance before getting to the dam. Capri wind meter Pegged at 50knts before blowing off just before they tagged the 22. We were in prestart in an S20 saw the pollen coming off the trees up lake (down wind) and heading towards us? so managed to get  the sails mostly off before it hits. Put spreader in water anyway. Bunch of kids in lasers sunfish etc saw it coming and each turtled and kid on boat hanging on to CB before it hit. Quick thinking support boat there. All good no injuries apart from the Capri masthead unit. 

Lots of Stories though !!

Around the mid-1990s we had a white squall hit a Jr. regatta on Lake Erie. I was on a chase boat. Kids and boats everywhere - lots of damage. 

Very, very scary. We were lucky no one was injured or worse. 

We could not see it coming - just increasing whiteness from the SW. 

BUT with modern cell phones that should not happen - radar can spot those storms from pretty far away, in time to get the boats off the water. (Don't know about mountain lakes) 

https://www.thoughtco.com/identify-severe-thunderstorms-on-radar-3443882

On 8/7/2018 at 7:28 PM, vibroman said:

Think I was there that year too. Was that the year when the capri 24 and the J22 rolled in to each other in one of them things?

As they death rolled towards each other Capri's masthead launched J22 Kite from the companionway and both headed down hill fast tied together at the masthead! Miraculously the mess untangled itself without assistance before getting to the dam. Capri wind meter Pegged at 50knts before blowing off just before they tagged the 22. We were in prestart in an S20 saw the pollen coming off the trees up lake (down wind) and heading towards us? so managed to get  the sails mostly off before it hits. Put spreader in water anyway. Bunch of kids in lasers sunfish etc saw it coming and each turtled and kid on boat hanging on to CB before it hit. Quick thinking support boat there. All good no injuries apart from the Capri masthead unit. 

Lots of Stories though !!

Not sure - the one I witnessed was early season and not sure it was a full blown regatta.  Do seem to remmember the pollen bursting off the trees though.  Strange things always happened wit the wind at the high altitudes and the mountains surrounding the lakes.

We were just up there this weekend.  I thought I saw that shot in the club, they mentioned it at the skip meeting.  Greg was in the right place right time  apparently :)  We had 2 role through, 1 after racing sat.  We were last boat out as we were thinking they were gonna throw us another race it was blowing around 12-15 before it hit.  Anyway, we were running toward the temp slips right before it came through, they were full so we tacked back out to ride it out on the lake under the main.  The hail lasted until I got my Jacket on, of course,  and the rain stopped 5 mins after that.  I donno where it peaked but i would guess 30 ish.  Ended up ghosting into a slip after it passed.  Good times...  

Last year at nationals we got hit by something really really bad right under Buffalo Mtn.  Whole fleet was around the top mark, came out of the wind shadow with the chute up then BAM..  We broached and went swimming, boat next to us sank and 3 others lost their rigs.  Hindsight says a micro burst, but I donno.  5 mins later it was blowing around 15 ish.  

Yea Dillon is fun..  ;)

Newport, RI Laser fleet got caught out in black cloud downburst.  40+ kts flattened most everyone.   Fun part was getting back - downwind- to the Armory beach.  Learned new trick - untie the mainsheet knot on boom end, pull sheet off boom and then let sail weathervane downwind, with steerage and no rocking.

Hectic times for RC tho, getting the noobs sorted out in all the mayhem.   This was winter so you couldn’t just sit it out on the turtled hull.

Years ago, when I was younger and marginally more stupid, we were coming back from a Coastal Classic. About 4 miles north of Tiri channel, under full spinnaker and main at 0330. Farr 727.

Boat was ticking along perfectly, surfing along on the occasional gust. Then it hit us. A gust just built over about 30 seconds. Pitch black so we didn't see it coming. Initially if felt like all the other gusts, just bear down and go for it, but it kept building. Before we arsed over the spray from the bow wave was arching up above the height of the boom making a wall of water each side of the boat going right back and hitting the water somewhere aft of the transom. We could see that clearly, as suddenly the whole place lit up like a reactor from the phosphorescence in the water as the wind and rain hit. As we lay there with the masthead pretty much in the water we managed to blow the spinhalyard and ease the main enough to regain some semblance of control. But not before I watched the water bubbling over the coaming and starting to head for the companionway. Scary shit.

Escaped pretty much unscathed aside from bruised egos and a total fuckin mess down below. Scariest thing was that just 3 min before it hit the skipper had been relaxing on the foredeck watching the dolphins limed in phosphorescence dancing along side. We'd have lost him if he'd stayed there much longer. A good learning experience. LOL

On 8/6/2018 at 3:15 PM, aA said:

wind mountain, columbia river gorge, double damned 2011...saw water rise like smoke from a campfire for only the second time in my life (first was off pt conception). got the words "hold on bo..." as i watched it hit and dump d.hodges first, and it didn't let me finish the sentence. mr. trew somewhere has pictures of four or five of us still plastered afterwards....

Why Moore-24's have stern pulpits..  Morgan's crew on BRUZER blows the spinny halyard, and......

Bruzer2.jpg

Bruzer3.jpg

On 8/7/2018 at 1:05 AM, Snaggletooth said:

(Wasn't that rather the motto of SA? Translation: "Iffe thou dowst not approve Tempesta's views thou arst expected to fukke offe.") 

On 8/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, Left Shift said:

TRUMP is Catholic!! :lol:

4 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

I've posted this before... still a classic IMHO.

Lake Garda..... Land of the Misral.