Sign in to follow this  
plywoodboy

Airlie Hammo Maggie 2018

Recommended Posts

With a few lovely new boats joining us from across the paddock, I am really looking forward to the trip this year. I have gone the easy way again this year, operating the dive flaps and snorkel controls on McJak the Diam 24. Test sail in 8 knots last week blew my mind on what apparent wind can mean even without foils. The boom that stays in the centre all the time? Nooo.

 

Anyway, I have just been working on the OMR for Airlie and thought that the fleet data for the first regattas would be interesting to share. OMR is as usual on the MYCQ site but still waiting on a couple of boat's crew weights. There are still some nomination glitches of course.

Fantastic to see the cruising fleet so big at Hammo, I am sure some old crock will say something bad about small racing fleets blah blah blah, but I look at it as an opportunity and reckon we should be chasing some of these party-crews to join more regular real racing. Or should we keep changing real racing to get them in????

In any case they are cool people, and the vibe across the fleets in all of these regattas is better than anything you can inhale. I am thinking of refloating a Seawind 24 and getting some garden seats off a footpath cleanup and heading up there and really cleaning up.

 

Peter H

Airlie

image.png.33520844ba566fdcb8b554f84b9c5f38.png

 

 

Hammo

image.png.d7d645433cf511a8a7d2b87bb5303412.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“ I am thinking of refloating a Seawind 24 and getting some garden seats off a footpath cleanup and heading up there and really cleaning up.”

I’m sure I could help you with that Plywood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of Interest Plywoodboy, just been looking at the latest OMR spreadsheet and I think you might want to update Rushours OMR details. It says they have feathering props, I'm pretty sure she has twin outboards, e.g. out of water props. if this is correct it does makes a little difference to her rating, in their favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, square top said:

Out of Interest Plywoodboy, just been looking at the latest OMR spreadsheet and I think you might want to update Rushours OMR details. It says they have feathering props, I'm pretty sure she has twin outboards, e.g. out of water props. if this is correct it does makes a little difference to her rating, in their favour.

No but thanks for looking. They are on a motor replacement research trial and I have seen them. Next year port will be electric and starboard fuel cell plasmadrive if Drew keeps pushing the envelope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious as to how Leitning Storm ever gets into port with a 500 meter draft.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GoPro of first race yesterday in unedited form from The Diam 24.

What a Blast!!'

Excuse the adrenaline running through the commentary.

 

https://youtu.be/Y9S5y0ZkX18

 

Today was soft and a bit of a reversal of form....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Today was soft and a bit of a reversal of form....

who was soft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

GoPro of first race yesterday in unedited form from The Diam 24.

What a Blast!!'

Excuse the adrenaline running through the commentary.

 

https://youtu.be/Y9S5y0ZkX18

 

Today was soft and a bit of a reversal of form....

is it wetter than a weta?

linky no worky, is it the stop between u and b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://youtu.be/3WLlZLXfa6s

Yesterday's race in 15-20 knots was a lot of fun, some action uploading now to above link. We had some itchy moments on the short upwind leg, but as usual the downwind was great fun. There are some good nosedives, and some nice bits passing glamour-lead.

Not on film is the main halyard blowing halfway home, froggie dynex underspec rope broke at splice where the 2:1 goes over a 20 mm sheave. Lucky the masthead spin halyard could get the sail back up to first reef point and we could limp home (still doing 13 knots upwind!!).

With light stuff predicted today we started the pack yesterday and after 2.5 hours she is roadtrip ready. At 12 ish they finally got a start away for a little bay triangle so we don't feel too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plywoodboy said:

https://youtu.be/3WLlZLXfa6s

Yesterday's race in 15-20 knots was a lot of fun, some action uploading now to above link. We had some itchy moments on the short upwind leg, but as usual the downwind was great fun. There are some good nosedives, and some nice bits passing glamour-lead.

Not on film is the main halyard blowing halfway home, froggie dynex underspec rope broke at splice where the 2:1 goes over a 20 mm sheave. Lucky the masthead spin halyard could get the sail back up to first reef point and we could limp home (still doing 13 knots upwind!!).

With light stuff predicted today we started the pack yesterday and after 2.5 hours she is roadtrip ready. At 12 ish they finally got a start away for a little bay triangle so we don't feel too bad.

Good stuff Woody. Look forward to the stories over a beer at the next regatta with your shrunken ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, overlay said:

Everything going well for the multihulls again.<_<

https://www.abrw.com.au/sailing/news/2018/trimaran-flips-airlie-beach-race-week-–-all-aboard-are-fine

Trimaran flips at Airlie Beach Race Week – 

A big thank you to the guys who stopped racing  their monohulls to render assistance.

Haha Overlay you really are a douche bag.  Going back as far as you could find to down vote my posts because I down voted this......You need to get a life dude

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, overlay said:

Everything going well for the multihulls again.<_<

https://www.abrw.com.au/sailing/news/2018/trimaran-flips-airlie-beach-race-week-–-all-aboard-are-fine

Trimaran flips at Airlie Beach Race Week – 

A big thank you to the guys who stopped racing  their monohulls to render assistance.

I love how they sailed her home......  It didn’t sink :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

I love how they sailed her home......  It didn’t sink :D

No thoughts for the crew of Hammer, Mr Ostritch?

Oh thats right its all part of offshore multihull racing.

Our dirty little secret.^_^

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, overlay said:

No thoughts for the crew of Hammer, Mr Ostritch?

Oh thats right its all part of offshore multihull racing.

Our dirty little secret.^_^

 

 

 

No, it’s about mateship and being there for one another regardless of what we sail.  A Multihull crew would stand by a mono in distress as well.

Run along and take your bias elsewhere, it is quite pathetic and sad.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it appears the crew of US sails (Max) absolutely smashed them.... Congrats... I'm interested in hearing a report from Dirty Deeds and others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so jealous.

More reports would be great.

max always smashes them.

rougher water at hammo might give the bigger boats some chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Havn’t seen any reports but saw some good footage of boatworks on day 3 vid. How’s your boat coming along Pil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, he b gb said:

Havn’t seen any reports but saw some good footage of boatworks on day 3 vid. How’s your boat coming along Pil?

Boat's nearly there ... Cat 4 and sails are just about done... Ready for the Lock Crowther I hope....  Whitworths moved across rd from work 2 months ago..... They are loving me.

Any reason why Ullman Sails didn't do hammo...?   Love to hear a Dirty Deeds report ... anyone.... bueller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time for me at Airlie and Hammo.

Airlie was great and in my opinion was the best for racing.

Hammo was disappointing, the RO seemed to be annoyed at giving us a start time after they changed the order multiple times and the Windward/Leeward was ... to be kind... interesting. It was a top mark was passed to Starboard(!! Rule 18.3 does not apply) and back to the finish!   Hmmm... Great off the water activities/bands etc though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea where to get insurance for a farrier 82r in NZ. Weve got 3rd party cover but having a hell of tough time getting full insurance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Aon.

I understand the previous owner had full insurance cover from them. They also offered me full cover for the same boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aon I'll give them a whirl thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, sow1ld said:

Any idea where to get insurance for a farrier 82r in NZ. Weve got 3rd party cover but having a hell of tough time getting full insurance

Multi Insurance

Crombie Lockwood Jarrol  (64) 94860852

The Marina Shop    (64) 94026093

Top Sail / Bailey Insurance  (64) 272627041

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks appreciate the numbers will see how we get on :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this