Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Iran-A laywoman's perspective

setting aside Iran's rather dubious human rights record.

I see it like this..multiple countries decide, despite protestations, that Iran is a nuclear threat.

Iran says it isn't.

multiple countries negotiate this" he says he says" and come to an agreement about the nuclear stuff and remove sanctions in return for assurances.

Everyone seems to stick to their agreements.

all parties truck along nicely.

Along comes Trump and says despite what everyone else agrees with..We're going to slap sanctions on again and pisses everyone off.

That about right?

Yes, they claim they are the leaders of state-sponsored terrorism and ruled by dictators! McCain's good friend Lindsey Graham wants regime change and he's always right.  Nevermind Saudi Arabia. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran........ :ph34r: 

5 hours ago, Mickey Rat said:

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran........ :ph34r:

:lol: Nicely done.

It's actually an excuse so that Israel can attack Iran with the absolute backing of the USA, and then Syria will turn Israel into a smoldering ash heap, and Putin will sit back and smile, while the Evangelical nut cases dance in the streets waiting for the rapture....

It's all part of the plan.

• Like 3

Well If you could kindly ask Your President to hold off for a few weeks, I'd appreciate it. My BIL is out there searching for gold. Apparently there's a lot of it out there.

Seriously, if everyone just left NK, Iran, Israel/Palestine etc alone, minded their own business etc..we'd prolly have world peas in a decade.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, Shortforbob said:

setting aside Iran's rather dubious human rights record.

I see it like this..multiple countries decide, despite protestations, that Iran is a nuclear threat.

That about right?

Yes.

Shirin Ebadi (Persian: شيرين عبادى‎, translit. Širin Ebādi; born 21 June 1947) is an Iranian lawyer, a former judge and human rights activist and founder of Defenders of Human Rights Center in Iran. On 10 October 2003, Ebadi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her significant and pioneering efforts for democracy and human rights, especially women's, children's, and refugee rights. She was the first Iranian and the first Muslim woman to receive the prize,[3] and thousands greeted her at the airport when she returned from Paris after receiving the news that she had won the prize. The response to the Award in Iran was mixed—enthusiastic supporters greeted her at the airport upon her return, the conservative media underplayed it, and then-Iranian President Mohammad Khatami criticized it as political.[4][5]

In 2009, Norway's Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Støre, published a statement reporting that Ebadi's Nobel Peace Prize had been confiscated by Iranian authorities and that "This [was] the first time a Nobel Peace Prize ha[d] been confiscated by national authorities."[6] Iran denied the charges.[7]

Ebadi said while in London in late November 2009 that her Nobel Peace Prize medal and diploma had been taken from their bank box alongside her Légion d'honneur and a ring she had received from Germany's association of journalists.[39] She said they had been taken by the Revolutionary Court approximately three weeks previously.[39][40][41] Ebadi also said her bank account was frozen by authorities

Ebadi lived in Tehran, but she has been in exile in the UK since June 2009 due to the increase in persecution of Iranian citizens who are critical of the current regime.[8][9]

Ebadi was demoted to a secretarial position at Tehran city court from her position as president under the insistence from conservative clerics after the 1979 Revolution. Clerics had insisted that Islam prohibits women from becoming judges.

However, in a 2012 interview, Ebadi has stated: "The [Iranian] people want to stop enrichment but the government doesn't listen. Iran is situated on a fault line and people are scared of a Fukushima type of situation happening. We want peace, security, and economic welfare, and we cannot forgo all of our other rights for nuclear energy. The government claims it is not making a bomb. But I am not a member of the government, so I cannot speak to this directly. The fear is that if they do, Israel will be wiped out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirin_Ebadi

Don’t you mean a bunch of countries decided that they have the right to demand another country must do as they say. Sanctions are removed after they are forced to agree terms. 

When another country tries to do something different they cry like little bitches. I presume because they feel only they have the right to force countries/people to do as demanded. 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, Mrleft8 said:

It's actually an excuse so that Israel can attack Iran with the absolute backing of the USA, and then Syria will turn Israel into a smoldering ash heap, and Putin will sit back and smile, while the Evangelical nut cases dance in the streets waiting for the rapture....

It's all part of the plan.

The problem Bibi has is his office lacks the power to launch a strike against Iran. In their system of government he must ask permission from the military and some other folks, such as some of his opposition party's approval. The Likud is actually a small minority of his ruling coalition. He is utterly dependent on the Orthodox Jews who really really hate war. Those Orthodox catch a lot of flack from other Israelis for their exemption from any and all military service...so there's another check on the Orthos going all war-like. 

Bibi has known for decades his best, if not only, option for fulfilling his messianic complex is in the manipulation of the US to do it for him. He has used every bit of his considerable influence in US politics to make us as belligerent as possible. He succeeded in getting us to invade Iraq, but his prophecy that it would get easy, and every nation we took out after doing that would be easier...has lost most of it's charm. 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4529120/netanyahus-expert-testimony-iraq-2002

See the last couple minutes. "Achieving the 3rd victory..."  after Afghanistan and Iraq? He was smart enough not to name it, but it was all but certainly Iran. Unfortunately for Bibi the wheels came off in Iraq in a big big way....we would up installing a Shite, IRAN FRIENDLY government in Iraq, which Bibi, if he was even 25% as clever as he think himself to be, could have easily foreseen as the most likely outcome. We turned Iran's greatest enemy into their BFF. I would add parenthetically that this alliance is what is scaring the sweet be-gebus out of the Saudis these days. 

I think it likely Bibi must wait for a new generation of Americans, ones that can't remember that war well, and can be convinced it was easy and fun.

10 hours ago, Gissie said:

Don’t you mean a bunch of countries decided that they have the right to demand another country must do as they say. Sanctions are removed after they are forced to agree terms. 

When another country tries to do something different they cry like little bitches. I presume because they feel only they have the right to force countries/people to do as demanded. 

talking of crying like little bitches...who's constant catch cry is.."unfair!"

On 8/8/2018 at 6:19 AM, Shortforbob said:

Well If you could kindly ask Your President to hold off for a few weeks, I'd appreciate it. My BIL is out there searching for gold. Apparently there's a lot of it out there.

Seriously, if everyone just left NK, Iran, Israel/Palestine etc alone, minded their own business etc..we'd prolly have world peas in a decade.

Meli things are very unstable in Iran at the moment. Lots of protests. The reimplementation of sanctions has sparked a new round of protests by those in Iran opposed to the current regime. If I was your BIL I'd steer clear of Iran for the moment. Here's some more info, not the the Daily Mail is the best source of info but it gives an indication of what's going on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6038847/Revolution-coming-Tensions-escalate-Iran-100-000-flooding-city-streets.html

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

talking of crying like little bitches...who's constant catch cry is.."unfair!"

I don’t think it is unfair at all. It is the way humans have been since the beginning. The group with the biggest and meanest weapons/troops get to tell everyone else what to do. It will always be so into the foreseeable future. 

I just find it interesting how many people seem to think it is okay when their side does it. But bloody unfair if someone else has the same concept but different idea of what is right. 

And even more unfair if someone tries to tell them how their country should be run. Just standard hypocrisy of this age I guess. 

21 hours ago, Gissie said:

When everyone knows (or should) that only the USA has that right.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When everyone knows (or should) that only the USA has that right.

Exactly. All other pretenders need a slapping to get the them back in line. 

Hey Meli my Iranian contact seems to think that Khamenei is moving on Rouhani. Basically insisting that he step down. Also read this article on Al Jazeera

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/08/ayatollah-khamenei-iran-ready-abandon-nuclear-deal-180829174718094.html

where towards the end it says

"Iran has said if it cannot sell its oil because of US pressure, then no other regional country will be allowed to do so either, threatening to block the Strait of Hormuz - the strategic artery linking Gulf crude producers to the world."

Things may start to heat up there over the next few weeks. Hope your brother stays out of the way.

36 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Things may start to heat up there over the next few weeks. Hope your brother stays out of the way.

I don't think so.

The US has a miserable record even with small countries without a recogniseable military. I don't think we are stupid enough to try and tackle a real country.

What will happen is the Iranians will curb-stomp another bunch of CIA assets, the USA will bitch and moan about human rights violations, China/india/etc will keep on buying Iranian oil anyway.

23 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

I don't think so.

The US has a miserable record even with small countries without a recogniseable military. I don't think we are stupid enough to try and tackle a real country.

What will happen is the Iranians will curb-stomp another bunch of CIA assets, the USA will bitch and moan about human rights violations, China/india/etc will keep on buying Iranian oil anyway.

I'm initially talking about internal unrest, there's been plenty of that recently, and that may then lead on to the threat by Khamenei to block the Hormuz, which will most probably then draw everyone in.

10 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

I'm initially talking about internal unrest, there's been plenty of that recently, and that may then lead on to the threat by Khamenei to block the Hormuz, which will most probably then draw everyone in.

Noone will call that bluff, because the strait is undefendable. Too narrow - Iran has too much coastline there.

21 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

Noone will call that bluff, because the strait is undefendable. Too narrow - Iran has too much coastline there.

No, the US military can beat anyone anywhere and at any time (except, Afganistan, Iraq, Viet Nam, etc etc..)! Now piss off.:angry: 

44 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

Trump might be silly enough too...especially if he needs the mother of all distractions...and it appears he's getting closer everyday 

56 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

Yeah but how well dug in are their emplacements and/or how fast can they move the mobile ones after they fire off a shot?

The USA has shown a truly abysmal ability to manage the aftermath of a conventional war, but they haven't had any problems actually destroying everything that moves during one.

FKT

28 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah but how well dug in are their emplacements and/or how fast can they move the mobile ones after they fire off a shot?

The USA has shown a truly abysmal ability to manage the aftermath of a conventional war, but they haven't had any problems actually destroying everything that moves during one.

FKT

"Boom, goes London, Boom Paree...More room for you, more room for me......."

Screw it...They all speak funny.