Wavedancer II

Someone has been naughty!

Recommended Posts

On 8/20/2018 at 6:29 AM, sunseeker said:

There’s a big difference in being paid to sail or paying your own way.

Olympic sailing is only about the business of selling sponsorship and advertising for the IOC first, and WS second.

Anyond who sails in hopes of being in the Olympics needs to understand what their job is. Iker did, he wanted so badly to be a poster child for being an Olympic hero and the money that comes with that, so he cheated.

Anyone who says they are sailing for their country does not understand what business they are in.

Jeezus fucking christ, who made you the expert who knows exactly what the Olympics are about and exactly what smaller sailing nations should think?

Sorry, I'll go and tell the guys who were proud to sail in the Olympics for smaller sailing nations, while they were doing things like studying for their career, that someone on SA knows far more about their life than they do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 6:45 PM, Justaquickone said:

Technically not a genoa . It still measured in as a Kite .

I suspect with the N 17 that although they look very genoa'ish their kites still measure in as such ?

Yes, I know it measured in as a kite. The fact remains that the variation in kit between the Tornadoes, Europes etc was much greater than the variation in Lasers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Curious said:

Jeezus fucking christ, who made you the expert who knows exactly what the Olympics are about and exactly what smaller sailing nations should think?

Sorry, I'll go and tell the guys who were proud to sail in the Olympics for smaller sailing nations, while they were doing things like studying for their career, that someone on SA knows far more about their life than they do.

 

Not sure why you have your panties in a bunch, I’m just explaining the reality of the Olympics. I’d rather it be like the small countries where the sailors have a life other than just sailing. But the reality is the Olympics are about selling ads. The small countries just help to add tv distribution numbers. The people making serious bank are the sponsorship and ad sales agents. They love the feel good narrative of some third world country competing in sailing. It’s good for 15 seconds on camera as they walk into the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

I’m just explaining the reality  my cynical view of the Olympics.

Have you ever sailed with an Olympian?  Sailed against one?  Have you ever coached and supported someone who seriously aspires to be an Olympic sailor?  Let's just say their view is substantially different from yours, and I'd venture to say they are the better people for it (until someone like Iker takes his obsession too far).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, god knows why Sunseeker believes he is the expert on what the Games are all about, and why he reckons he knows more than many Olympians seem to know.

Even if he did have some god-given insider knowledge, it has nothing to do with the point that the "smaller" sailing nations don't want a design race in the Olympics, and the sport requires support from those nations if it is to stay in the Games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Curious said:

Yes, I know it measured in as a kite. The fact remains that the variation in kit between the Tornadoes, Europes etc was much greater than the variation in Lasers.

Note, the Tornado kite was not an issue until ISAF changed the Tornado Class rules.  Important to note as the class was later critisized about this when it should have been ISAF that copped the criticism.

Yes, there is allowances for slight changes in the T however this along with allowing multiple manufacturers including home built drove development of a quality catamaran like  we had not seen before. Slight variation of sail cuts also meant you could cut your sails to suit your crew weight rather than being stuck in OD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Have you ever sailed with an Olympian?  Sailed against one?  Have you ever coached and supported someone who seriously aspires to be an Olympic sailor?  Let's just say their view is substantially different from yours, and I'd venture to say they are the better people for it (until someone like Iker takes his obsession too far).

Actually, been around Olympic sailing my entire life, sailed with and against plenty of Olympians, and donated substantial amounts to a few.

Not sure how someone becomes a better person for sailing in the Olympics, or trying to get there. People are either good or bad long before venturing into that world. Better sailors because of the focus and immersion in that particular class, but that’s true of anyone who sails seriously.

I’ve seen the game change, a lot. It’s far more business now than pure sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Curious said:

Yep, god knows why Sunseeker believes he is the expert on what the Games are all about, and why he reckons he knows more than many Olympians seem to know.

Even if he did have some god-given insider knowledge, it has nothing to do with the point that the "smaller" sailing nations don't want a design race in the Olympics, and the sport requires support from those nations if it is to stay in the Games.

 

Maybe I know more because I’ve been playing this game a lot longer than most Olympians, and have been around and part of Olympic sailing for decades.

If small countries don’t want a design competition in the Olympics, then why do so many smaller countries do so well in such a big fleet with arguably the most design dependent boat - the Finn? Why is there such universal support amoung sailors to save the Finn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunseeker, I think you should go spend some time seeking sunshine or whatever it is that will make you a little bit less of a cynical prick... :)

 

 

The Games is something that you do for yourself, that is the primary motivation, anything else is secondary. I know this very well, My wife is a medallist, I have been to the games as a coach and I am still coaching in the Nacra 17 for two different countries and multiple teams that all want to go to the games.

Whether is makes you a better person or not is up for debate, you will certainly learn a few tough lessons on the way, perhaps some of those lessons make you better, perhaps they make you harsh and unforgiving, but the main thing I have seen in my time in this part of the sport is that the effort required to win is exceptional and when you are not winning and think you should be it is a very trying situation. Some people deal with it by elevating themselves, others accept that they are not the best and in some cases you see people decide to circumvent the rules in order to help achieve their goals. 

The topic of this thread is about someone who decided to cheat, it is not up for debate, they did it. Got caught, then tried to bullshit their way out of it and got caught doing that. Punishment should be severe and I would be surprised if that person is seen again in the Olympic regatta scene. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now