Alan H

I had a Cal 20

Recommended Posts

Share your Cal 20 stories here.

=============

My first boat was a Cal 20.  I got it from a marina that was closing, they donated it to the nonprofit I was working for at the time and I bought it for $600.    Some long-gone rigging shop was running a contest in Latitude 38, our local rag that year for a free rigging job and I won it.  I probably won 'cause mine was the smallest boat to enter.  Whatever, I got a completely new standing rigging job.  My wife bought me a "new" used jib and we were stylin'

My outboard was shite, and most of the time didn't work, so I sailed that thing all over SF Bay.  I can't count the number of times I sailed all night, usually sitting for two hours in the South Bay, just off of San Bruno mountain in the usual hole, waiting for wind.    I couldn't get people to crew with me more than about 2, 3x so I got into singlehanding....without an autopilot.  The rudder was a lump of mahogany, was warped as hell so I made a new one from a stack of used 2 x 4's I found at an empty lot a couple doors down from our apartment building. It didn't even vaguely resemble the profile of the stock rudder but I didn't know enough that I had to declare that on my PHRF certificate. I still got spanked in the racing.

I remember sailing the Cal up to the main  Bay from Redwood City once. I got a late start so I was going under the San Mateo bridge about midnight. There was a big flood running and it was blowing something fierce. The swell stacked up, really steep under the bridge.  So we hit a wave and I launched off the windward seats. The boat dropped into the trough, so when my ass came down, there was no boat to land on....ergo, I kept going.  When ass finally met fiberglass,  my legs were in the water, off the leeward side of the boat. I barely had a grip on the tiller, yanked it some way or another and the boat rounded down. whoooieee...green water to the waist, about 50 gallons in the cockpit,  scared me witless.  I was tethered in, but still.

The boat shook it off, the skipper hauled himself and his soiled panties back into the cockpit and we kept on going.  I remember the race that weekend. I got crushed but hell, I had a lot of fun.

I remember sailing up to do some midwinters, and getting to the Bay View Boat Club. It was about 1:00 AM when I got there.  I took everything down, tied up to the launch dock figuring that nobody was going to launch until morning and then went below to discover that I'd forgotten my sleeping bag.  I didn't know any better back then, so I wore my blue jeans under my foulies..AND...I couldn't afford breathable foulies so the blue jeans were soaked.  I wound up sleeping with a couple sailbags over my  legs. That was the FFFf'ing COLDEST night I have ever spent.  I STILL remember how cold that was.

When I got the boat it leaked through the keel bolts when I sailed it. It didn't leak at the dock but it'd leak as soon as we got going.  Atter two seasons it got pretty bad, like 5-6 gallons in an afternoon.  Look, 5-6 gallons of water in a Cal 20 gets EVERYTHING wet.  That year, when I did the haulout....you could do DIY haulouts in those days....I dropped the keel, scraped all the crap off the top of it and rebedded it with 4200 and new keel bolts.  The haulout maxxed out my finances so I had to put "regular" steel bolts in, not S.S. ones.  I wonder if they're still on the boat.  Dropping the keel on that boat scared me to death.

I had a crapload of fun with that boat, and learned a lot. I had no money, was young and stupid and that boat let me get away with ANYTHING and it sailed pretty good, all things considered.

Once, I went for a visit to the Sequoia Yacht Club.  Some old arrogant shithead asked me what kind of boat I had.  "Cal 20" says I.  *PFFFTTT**...He scoffed,  "That's kid stuff".  Funny thing, but I saw him and his Hans Christian about a month later. He'd wrapped a shroud around a channel marker in Redwood Creek.  I looked back, as I cruised by in my Kid Stuff Boat in time to watch his mast come down.  Karma is a bitch.

 

....don't go disrespectin' no  Cal 20's.

==============

 

What's your Cal 20 story?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having sundowners in King Harbor Yachtclub on a beercan race night, watching the boats heading out. My Cal 2-30 was tied to the guest dock there and I watched as some dude in his Cal 20 rammed into my hull, leaving two scuffs on the Awlgrip, which are still there. That's my Cal 20 story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sandpipper said:

I was having sundowners in King Harbor Yachtclub on a beercan race night, watching the boats heading out. My Cal 2-30 was tied to the guest dock there and I watched as some dude in his Cal 20 rammed into my hull, leaving two scuffs on the Awlgrip, which are still there. That's my Cal 20 story.

So, Sandpiper...after a couple of years, I quit my job at that non-profit where I got free dock space...which went completely dry-mud at any minus-tide...and moved north about 9 miles to a real marina.  One of the first times I came in the harbor it was blowing the usual summertime gale.  I thought I'd be smart by reducing sail, and staying under control on the way in. So while still out in the Bay, I struck the main and sailed in under jib alone.

Inside the harbor it was still blowing 25, and I cruised along towards the row of biggest boats in the harbor. The "BIG SLIPS" are out by the entrance. I got to the point where I always tacked about.  I eased the sheet and pushed the tiller over.........

..........and nothing happened. She would not come up.  I had three seconds to choose.....ram the transom of the 60 foot, 2 million dollar powerboat that was in front of me at about 3 1/2 knots, or turn down a bit and ram the concrete piling at the end of the finger at about 3 1/2 knots.  I chose the piling.

It was a fucking hellacious crash. The boat stopped, sails flapped, the mast swung over and the port shroud slammed down on the top of the piling with an enormous thrumming TWANGGGG. .  I managed to get the jib down, and by some miracle the outboard started and I motored away from this nightmare.  End result?


 ---Nothing. Not a scratch.  Damn boat was idiot-proof;.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 4 years later I finally sold the boat to a guy who lived nearby. For some reason I was back at the non-profits dock, I don't remember why any more. Anyway, that dock was a downwind approach. Unless you had a really high tide you couldn't get to the shore-side of the dock, all the single-finger slips were downwind slips.  So I sell the boat, sign the pink slip and take the cash. This guy takes the boat out for a spin. It's all good.

I'm sitting on  the pier about 3 hours later and I see him coming back in. He's about 150 feet directly upwind of the slip and he turns downwind....all the sails up, and heads straight for the dock. HOLY SHIT...I scream, and start to run down the ramp, but there's no way I'm going to get there in time.  I watched him ram that Cal 20 into the dock at full speed. It slid up over the wooden dock all the way up to the keel....

......slid back down again, and settled. No leaks.  I put on my swim trunks and a mask and dove in the water to check out the damage. NONE...just scraped up bottom paint.

Idiot proof.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had hull #424, bought it from Dana Harbor Yacht Sales when it was traded in on some Catalina they sold, Jeff the broker held the note until I paid it off...though I was crewing on other boats I was so beyond stoked to finally have a real boat! Such a simple basic boat, bow and stern pulpits, Johnson 6 outboard, one battery for the running lights...couldn't have asked for more at the time. Bought a hatch at Minneys for better forpeak lighting and interior ventilation, refinished the mast and boom in my apartment complexes driveway and repainted the interior. It was built with the full bulkheads, I've seen later models with support struts and would probably want to go that direction if I was able to get another one.

Day sailed the sh*t out of it and often anchored in the West basin near the Pilgrim for Bar-b-Que, beers and Pirates of Penzance music. Honeymooned in Catalina Island aboard it too (that last two hours motorin' took forever). We were side tied to a friends 42' CC in Avalon when the taxi boat came by, the wake caused us to really slam against their hull...I was inside and had never seen such a flex! damned surprised the window didn't pop out!

Like Alan's story...no damage, truly a Dork proof boat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, one of the most rad memories of my life revolved around racing a Cal 20

It was the second day of the nationals. Obviously we were in first place as I was trimming main and the tactician. After a long hot day on the water I was at the club pool when the boat owners identical  twin daughters unexpectedly showed up as they were on summer break from college. We were hanging out drinking wine coolers. It got late and the club had closed. All of a sudden one of the club bar tenders appeared. She was nice looking for an older woman . Surprisingly at around 29 her double D's looked pretty solid in her skimpy top. It was still hot out so she slipped out of her dress and hopped in the pool.  Anyway after all four of us consumed a few more cherry fizz coolers the twin with the  slightly shorter long blond hair jumped in the pool with the bar tender. The two of them started   ........    oh wait this is a family site never mind.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hobot said:

Had hull #424, bought it from Dana Harbor Yacht Sales when it was traded in on some Catalina they sold, Jeff the broker held the note until I paid it off...though I was crewing on other boats I was so beyond stoked to finally have a real boat! Such a simple basic boat, bow and stern pulpits, Johnson 6 outboard, one battery for the running lights...couldn't have asked for more at the time. Bought a hatch at Minneys for better forpeak lighting and interior ventilation, refinished the mast and boom in my apartment complexes driveway and repainted the interior. It was built with the full bulkheads, I've seen later models with support struts and would probably want to go that direction if I was able to get another one.

Day sailed the sh*t out of it and often anchored in the West basin near the Pilgrim for Bar-b-Que, beers and Pirates of Penzance music. Honeymooned in Catalina Island aboard it too (that last two hours motorin' took forever). We were side tied to a friends 42' CC in Avalon when the taxi boat came by, the wake caused us to really slam against their hull...I was inside and had never seen such a flex! damned surprised the window didn't pop out!

Like Alan's story...no damage, truly a Dork proof boat!

Were you the "Plastic Surgeon" in the harbor at that time? If so, I remember you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TWO Cal 20 threads at the same time.   SA is redeemed...LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently I posted in the wrong Cal 20 thread before I found this one. Here's my story:

Surfed a Cal 20 over the Potato patch in SF. We go the boat going so fast that it blew the outboard motor cover off the bottom of the boat. We had a good laugh until the next surf when a 2 foot square column of water came gushing out and right into the cabin. Once we got that fixed we were back to laughing about it.

I think the only way to break these boats is with an angle grinder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Were you the "Plastic Surgeon" in the harbor at that time? If so, I remember you.

:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, VWAP said:

Oh wow, one of the most rad memories of my life revolved around racing a Cal 20

It was the second day of the nationals. Obviously we were in first place as I was trimming main and the tactician. After a long hot day on the water I was at the club pool when the boat owners identical  twin daughters unexpectedly showed up as they were on summer break from college. We were hanging out drinking wine coolers. It got late and the club had closed. All of a sudden one of the club bar tenders appeared. She was nice looking for an older woman . Surprisingly at around 29 her double D's looked pretty solid in her skimpy top. It was still hot out so she slipped out of her dress and hopped in the pool.  Anyway after all four of us consumed a few more cherry fizz coolers the twin with the  slightly shorter long blond hair jumped in the pool with the bar tender. The two of them started   ........    oh wait this is a family site never mind.

 

You've been into your stash of Penthouse Variations again haven't you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You've been into your stash of Penthouse Variations again haven't you.

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You've been into your stash of Penthouse Variations again haven't you.

I thought it was LR for a moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first boat I ever sailed was a Cal 20...the sail school had 3 of them...tough boats … like a bowling ball with sails.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cal 20 was our first family sailboat. It was a great daysailor, but a bit cramped for family cruising. We sold her to get a bigger boat. I used to work for someone who sailed a Cal 20 across the Atlantic. If memory serves, he thought it was a long time to spend in a small wet space but the boat sailed just fine. Also note we had bulb keels back before bulbs were cool :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I NEED a Cal 20

FB- Doug

Looks like I'm headed toward a Cape Dory Typhoon instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Looks like I'm headed toward a Cape Dory Typhoon instead.

Those are cool little boats. Prettier than the Cal

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my cup of tea but there's a huge, super active class in Cabrillo. These boats refuse to die as it's a whole lot of bang for the buck and the sailors are an enthusiastic bunch.

They are having a blast every Wednesday night during the summer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like all good Cal 20 stories, this one happened a long time ago... The kid that did bow on our Cal 25 team bought a Cal 20 to... Sail to Hawaii. Telling him it was a terrible idea, was like throwing gas on the fire. It just got him more excited about the project. So after months and months of prep, he starts out and after a week, sails smack into an epic pacific storm. The storm was so big that I remember seeing stories on the evening news about the giant waves and wind interfering with ocean freight.

Well, he makes it about half way to the Islands before turning around. Once home, he wouldn't talk about the trip. Just scrapped the boat and quit sailing entirely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learned to sail on a Cal 20 #992 while we were in Hawaii, out of Hickam AFB Pacific Yacht Club. There was a good fleet of boats and we used to race every 2nd Sunday and a few of the bigger regattas at the time. My dad and I also sailed her over to Molokai and back, the most fun was downwind under main and working jib surfing down the waves alongside a couple of the Transpac boats that were headed to the finish. We also made several trips down to Pokai Bay and back, nice place to anchor and hang-out for a weekend. Pic is sailing the boat at the west end of Keehi Lagoon, where this was taken is under the reef runway now.853419193_Cal201971.thumb.jpg.2caa55d26663a53f13e428e627bf40b7.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, VWAP said:

Oh wow, one of the most rad memories of my life revolved around racing a Cal 20

It was the second day of the nationals. Obviously we were in first place as I was trimming main and the tactician. After a long hot day on the water I was at the club pool when the boat owners identical  twin daughters unexpectedly showed up as they were on summer break from college. We were hanging out drinking wine coolers. It got late and the club had closed. All of a sudden one of the club bar tenders appeared. She was nice looking for an older woman . Surprisingly at around 29 her double D's looked pretty solid in her skimpy top. It was still hot out so she slipped out of her dress and hopped in the pool.  Anyway after all four of us consumed a few more cherry fizz coolers the twin with the  slightly shorter long blond hair jumped in the pool with the bar tender. The two of them started   ........    oh wait this is a family site never mind.

 

Hull #?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a crap load of Cal 20 stories from the past 8-9 years, from the GOOD (R2AK Stage 1 with my 15 year old daughter, rowing engineless all the way down Victoria (BC) harbour, or completely redoing the running rigging (per Robert Crawford’s excellent book, “Blackfeathers” with the idea of entering the Singlehanded Transpac Race; the BAD (how many time have I threatened to actually spend money on new sails for the boat so the fuckin’ 50 year old classic will actually *point*, only to end up firing up the motor with its too short leg...); and the UGLY (very leaky keel bolts and the flexi-keel that admits lots and lots of water in big seas...or the time in winter the boat broke off its mooring in a storm, washed ashore on a rocky beach *sideways*, and came to a rest sitting on its keel, balanced *perfectly* on the rubber gunwhale/rub strip against a rock - right on the rubber— with almost no fibreglass damage [it would’ve been toast otherwise]).  Hence the boat’s name, Calico - she has nine lives!

The mighty little Cal 20 sits in my driveway, dreaming of maybe a future R2AK, as I contemplate removing/rebedding the keel bolts...or maybe selling it, and adding some debt to my line of credit and upgrading to a way faster Moore 24 instead...but then I wouldn’t have any more crazy  Cal 20 stories to tell... :-). I may see if I can redo keel and see if any other would-be R2AK aspirants are interested.  Maybe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I NEED a Cal 20

FB- Doug

 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:18 PM, Slim said:

I want a Cal 20. 

There's been one on eBay for $2k w/ trailer, in New Jersey.  Didn't meet reserve so it'll be back.

Great times crewing/borrowing in Long Beach 30 years ago, and probably still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cal 20 was the second keelboat I ever sailed.

I still regard it as the best all around 20 footer ever built. Unbeatable deck space, cockpit seats long enough to sleep on, good looking little ship and pretty fast for its day.

Whats not to like?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

A Cal 20 was the second keelboat I ever sailed.

I still regard it as the best all around 20 footer ever built. Unbeatable deck space, cockpit seats long enough to sleep on, good looking little ship and pretty fast for its day.

Whats not to like?

Better 20 (ish) footer :-)  (Brilliant —and expensive—design: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FAgyW-zvU )

But we’re talking Cal 20s here :-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit seats look too short to sleep on, deck space very limited, way more expensive, way more complicated.....

All things being equal I'd take the Cal 20.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Cockpit seats look too short to sleep on, deck space very limited, way more expensive, way more complicated.....

All things being equal I'd take the Cal 20.

Fair enough.  It looks sexy, but for sure has its limitations.

For each boat, it’s impressive how much the designer was able to put into 20’.  We summer cruised for years, three of us (one a kid) with the Cal 20.  It was perfect.

Currently, I’ve somehow agreed to give someone the boat, as is, [keel bolts definitely need replacing] for free provided they pay for the $200 worth of trailer bearings so it can roll out of my front yard - been there for a year so far.  But I’m not wanting to part with it!  (Needs to be under cover - hemlock tree-fall starting to litter it.)

It’s a restoration—to a point: I wouldn’t go crazy on aesthetics since it’s so time consuming— that I wouldn’t mind doing since is a small boat.  

(R2AK 2021 with the then-high school graduated kid?  Or get a cheap Hobie multihull and do it much faster?)

B3D35C00-D90E-46DC-A164-18693B9A97BB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Cockpit seats look too short to sleep on, deck space very limited, way more expensive, way more complicated.....

All things being equal I'd take the Cal 20.

Of course they're not equal, the Etap is much MUCH more expensive.

Looks like a cool little boat, a bit complex for my taste but that outboard well looks like a pretty good arrangement.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that single laminate hull can sure transmit the cold though......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, Pokey uh da LBC said:

Like all good Cal 20 stories, this one happened a long time ago... The kid that did bow on our Cal 25 team bought a Cal 20 to... Sail to Hawaii. Telling him it was a terrible idea, was like throwing gas on the fire. It just got him more excited about the project. So after months and months of prep, he starts out and after a week, sails smack into an epic pacific storm. The storm was so big that I remember seeing stories on the evening news about the giant waves and wind interfering with ocean freight.

Well, he makes it about half way to the Islands before turning around. Once home, he wouldn't talk about the trip. Just scrapped the boat and quit sailing entirely.  

"The boat will go anywhere. Whether you want to be on it or not is another story."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, blurocketsmate said:

"The boat will go anywhere. Whether you want to be on it or not is another story."

Indeed.  I recall in Robert Crawford’s “classic” book on his Cal 20 boat prep and participation in a recent SHTP, he mentions the little boat being so light that the waves, and 30 knots, “pushed the bow around”.  I’m betting that was an understatement!  

He did completely redo his companionway/hatch system, including installing a Lexan bubble on the  sliding hatch, enabling him to see out when closed up down below in big weather...but I bet there might have been times he didn’t want to be there!  :-)

Just remembered, here’s the original “classic” account (from 1980) of sailing a Cal 20 to Hawaii.  Cruising World magazine article by K.P. Chin: http://www.oocities.org/thetropics/5471/chalupaprep.htm

Humans, basically a creature of the land, find that comfort in a small boat is relative. Space in a boat is used more intensely. Inside Chalupa I move very little; all my cooking, eating, reading and navigating is practically done from one spot.

Voyaging in small craft may not be for everyone, but for those who want to do it badly enough and only have a very limited budget, it's definitely feasible. An attitude of how little one needs, rather than how much one wants, is required.”

0F0126EF-C75C-4A3E-8A22-6C01A37006A7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting the Cal 20 stories.  The first boat I ever sailed on was a Cal 20.  I had joined the Cal Sail Club.  I went down to the club expecting to go out on one of their Lido 14s.  Instead, an older gentleman recruited me and a couple of other newbies on the spot to go out on his Cal 20.  It was a great first experience.

The first sailboat that I owned would have been a Cal 20, but it was already sold by the time I contacted the owner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A youngster, first race was on a Cal 20. It was the ILYRA Down River Race and a downwind adventure. The boat rounded up, I was on the low side looking up at this boat perhaps coming down on top of me. I bailed out backwards into the Livingston channel, brother in law hollers at me to get back in the boat. No PFD but I am a good swimmer. Old rubber coated foulies but I had a brand new pair of Sperry's that dad bought. My biggest worry was losing the shoes. Wish I could tell a story as good as some of the others around here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, woahboy said:

A youngster, first race was on a Cal 20. It was the ILYRA Down River Race and a downwind adventure. The boat rounded up, I was on the low side looking up at this boat perhaps coming down on top of me. I bailed out backwards into the Livingston channel, brother in law hollers at me to get back in the boat. No PFD but I am a good swimmer. Old rubber coated foulies but I had a brand new pair of Sperry's that dad bought. My biggest worry was losing the shoes. Wish I could tell a story as good as some of the others around here. 

Wow, my backyard.  It would have been the Amherstburg channel as the Downriver did not go down the Livingston.  I started doing the race in about '70 and I remember a pretty good downwind ride in '74 or so.  Do you remember who owned the boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 90's we were anchored in Drakes Bay when a racing fleet came in, anchored as well, planning to do a leg to Half Moon Bay in the morning. Hours after the main fleet arrived, a Cal 20 showed up with two guys on it (they turned out to be brothers).  They whopped and hollered, and sailed all over the bay looking for handouts. We tossed them a couple of cold ones and they invited us onboard.  We left my 6th grade daughter and her friend on our vessel, thinking that it might be prudent, to say the least.  It turned out that these two were blasted out of their minds.  We looked below in the cuddy and it was filled with empty handles of vodka and whatever else.  They saw our expressions and one of them said, "We tried sailing this boat offshore sober once and it scared the hell out of us; we vowed never to make that mistake again!" Their goal was to sail a thousand offshore miles that summer, apparently all of them wasted.

Then they want to know if they could raft up and asked what we were having for dinner. Hint, hint.  If it had been just us, we'd have thought about it.  But with two young girls, one of whom wasn't ours, not such a good idea.  They found another vessel to secure themselves- we could hear them most of the evening- and when we got up at first light, they were gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Wow, my backyard.  It would have been the Amherstburg channel as the Downriver did not go down the Livingston.  I started doing the race in about '70 and I remember a pretty good downwind ride in '74 or so.  Do you remember who owned the boat?

PM me and I'll let you know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Hawaiidart said:

Back in the 90's we were anchored in Drakes Bay when a racing fleet came in, anchored as well, planning to do a leg to Half Moon Bay in the morning. Hours after the main fleet arrived, a Cal 20 showed up with two guys on it (they turned out to be brothers).  They whopped and hollered, and sailed all over the bay looking for handouts. We tossed them a couple of cold ones and they invited us onboard.  We left my 6th grade daughter and her friend on our vessel, thinking that it might be prudent, to say the least.  It turned out that these two were blasted out of their minds.  We looked below in the cuddy and it was filled with empty handles of vodka and whatever else.  They saw our expressions and one of them said, "We tried sailing this boat offshore sober once and it scared the hell out of us; we vowed never to make that mistake again!" Their goal was to sail a thousand offshore miles that summer, apparently all of them wasted.

Then they want to know if they could raft up and asked what we were having for dinner. Hint, hint.  If it had been just us, we'd have thought about it.  But with two young girls, one of whom wasn't ours, not such a good idea.  They found another vessel to secure themselves- we could hear them most of the evening- and when we got up at first light, they were gone.

Pretty sure I know who they are. The three os us are often referred to as the Tres Caca Cabezas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A Soling 'runner' kite on a 20 makes for a lot of fun - but not quite 4th mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, Alan H said:

Share your Cal 20 stories here.

=============

My first boat was a Cal 20...

....don't go disrespectin' no  Cal 20's.

==============

What's your Cal 20 story?

Looking forward to hearing more about this (modified) Cal 20 from the front page!

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/09/05/microdosing/

Bound for Cape Horn in a few weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looking forward to hearing more about this (modified) Cal 20 from the front page!

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/09/05/microdosing/

Bound for Cape Horn in a few weeks...

I was just going to start a thread on that....MOAR INFORMATION

 

and pictures

PLEASE!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount of dollars it takes to make a Cal 20 competitive in a decent fleet is a bit shocking. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 12:21 PM, Alan H said:

I was just going to start a thread on that....MOAR INFORMATION

 

and pictures

PLEASE!!!

As I’ve got a soft spot for Cal 20s and am curious about this voyage, I PM’d “Noodle”, the person noted at the end of the article as the source.  (“Anarchist Noodle”)  Perhaps he/she will supply some info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I left my Southern Cross 31 on the hard in Solomons, MD when I got orders to a squadron in Hawaii in the early '80s.  While there I couldn't stand not having a boat so went on the hunt for something.   One of the boats I looked at was a Cal 20 that had just finished a passage from California.  Was a highly modified, very salty little boat, and I almost bought it.  Ended up with a San Juan 21 at a lot lower price.  But did like that little Cal 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not continue this thread? The latest Small Craft Advisor -- #120, Nov-Dec 2019 --  has a big feature on the Cal 20. Be good and buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now