Sign in to follow this  
Itsabimmerthing

Compass for H5000 - Thrane LT500?

https://thrane.eu/lt-500-ahrs/

PERFORMANCE
The LT-500 AHRS unit is a small, compact, and very advanced unit with 11 precision sensors. With the use of sensor-fusion and Kalman filtering, the LT-500 AHRS unit outputs: true heading1, roll, pitch, air pressure, and temperature real-time, with high precision and resolution. The LT-500 AHRS unit includes advanced technologies such as:

• Kalman filtering
  • Calculation of magnetic variation based on the World Magnetic Model (WMM)
  • Compensation of soft and hard iron (deviation)
  • Built-in magnetometer calibration algorithm

The LT-500 AHRS unit is designed and built for the demanding and rough environment at sea and with an operational temperature range from -25⁰C to +55⁰C (-13⁰F to +131⁰F).

What do you guys think of this? Looks interesting...

For a club racer, it represents a more-dollars-than-sense solution. Back off on the esoteric instruments, get your head out of the boat and Erin some regattas.

On paper, it's a slightly more accurate sensor than the Precision-9, but it also costs more (~$800 vs $650). I tend to agree with Moonduster: unless you're running a grand prix program (or, you like gadgets), it doesn't seem worth it.

For us on this side of the bond this Thrane compass is cheaper than precision-9.

I like the compact size and I associate thrane as a brand of pro-quality stuff.

NMEA2k Barometer is an added bonus which I've been looking at to get anyway.

That would definitely make it more attractive.

NB: the Thrane barometer advertises 1 mbar accuracy. That's about what you get from an inexpensive weather station --- sufficient for following trends, but you need something around 0.25 mbar accuracy for calculating gradients.

Barometer is just for observing trends. We do not really use it that much for routing.

Read few panbo articles on LT-500, they sounded promising. Early models had some connectivity issues but those are propably solved already...

Will propose this to my B&G guy and see what he thinks. He does not recommend Precision-9. Adding this would give nice redundancy to our electronics system, on top of hopefully better motion and heading data. Now we take all heading/heel/etc from ZG100 compass, which gives surprisingly good data as well. 

I'd love to hear the results of your experiment.

What's the problem with the Precision-9? 

Do not know, he just says it is no good? I'll ask....

One factor going for LT-500 is the smallish box shape and nice looking graphic UI. Reminds me a lot of those on fiber optic gyros on ships.

We have the LT-500 in our boat and it is the best compass I have ever used. Even in rough seas there is no need to apply damping, the numbers are steadily displaying the course and not flying around wildly as has been the case on some other boats I’ve sailed. When you tack, the numbers gets updated immediately. 

The only other function I use is the heel.

Nice. Below few questions.

What kind of boat do you have, size and type? What compass did you have/use before for the comparison?

Where is the LT installed? I am thinking of centerline, just aft of the keel, about 0,5m above the keel bolts. 

Was it plug and play? How does the True HDG work, do you find it accurate?

Its on a small sports boat for which it is overkill. On this boat there was previously a tacktick micro, but the ones I compare it to are two B&G systems in some bigger boats and one Furuno on a cruising boat. All the boats with “gyro” compasses for autopilot, but exact sensor models I never bothered to check.

The installation is at centerline under the foredeck about 75cm in front of mast, thought this is the driest place onboard.

Installation is easy, but you have to shorten the cable as it is 10+ meters long.

Deviation calibration worked with the first circles. Then while running the log calibration runs I got the heading offset fixed, and the variation I take from sea charts.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:10 PM, Tom Keffer said:

I'd love to hear the results of your experiment.

What's the problem with the Precision-9? 

He said that the problem he is referring to is the true heading on all headings, you will always get problems on some headings.

He recommended gps-compass for my boat. I would like to get something different (f.ex LT500) because of the mounting problems for the gps compass antenna, and be able to mount the attitude/heading sensor on centerline, close to CoG.

FWIW we have a Precision -9 from 2016 and have had no issues with it. Mounted on a bulkhead about 1.5 feet to starboard of the main mast, about 4 ' from top of keel. The H5k 3D motion sensor is mounted below it. As with anything, your (re)positioning of ferrous materials will matter. 

Currently the LT-500 has some magvar issues with H5000 when using NMEA2000. If you have one I suggest using NMEA0183 to the CPU. @Itsabimmerthing I am surprised your B&G buy doesn't rate the Precision-9. I think it's a good sensor and well priced.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, tomcheney said:

Currently the LT-500 has some magvar issues with H5000 when using NMEA2000. If you have one I suggest using NMEA0183 to the CPU. @Itsabimmerthing I am surprised your B&G buy doesn't rate the Precision-9. I think it's a good sensor and well priced.

What is the problem, could you give a bit more details?

How is the attitude data?