alctel

Sailing solo from Neah Bay down to San Fran

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Bet you've never let the holding tank get full since then.

We're definitely more cautious, especially in waves. However, we were again blessed with a full holding tank in Barkley Sound when the macerator pump croaked. Changing that out in steamy hot weather wasn't a walk in the park either.

12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We're definitely more cautious, especially in waves. However, we were again blessed with a full holding tank in Barkley Sound when the macerator pump croaked. Changing that out in steamy hot weather wasn't a walk in the park either.

Ish, you make a bucket-and-chuck-it system sound like a heavenly upgrade

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

I once had to cleanup a puke pancake while deckhand on a charter boat.  Guy puked right on the hot diesel stovetop.  Worst thing I ever smelled.

We have a winner in the gross seasick story contest. Made me think about running to the john and I'm sitting on dry land. :blink:

15 minutes ago, kinardly said:

We have a winner in the gross seasick story contest. Made me think about running to the john and I'm sitting on dry land. :blink:

I disagree. No doubt it's a strong entry but I think Ish's story of a boat full of sewage in heavy waves edges it out.

55 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

The system works well enough most of the time, and I had a spare pump on board just in case. We could have gone to overboard discharge, but we prefer keeping our anchorages sewage-free, so we save it until we are in deep water with lots of tidal action. Keeping a bucket of poo for three days until we are in open water sounds like an even worse option. 

8 minutes ago, IStream said:

I disagree. No doubt it's a strong entry but I think Ish's story of a boat full of sewage in heavy waves edges it out.

They weren't heavy waves, just the normal Pacific swell, but they were enough to invert the joker valve.

27 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The system works well enough most of the time, and I had a spare pump on board just in case. We could have gone to overboard discharge, but we prefer keeping our anchorages sewage-free, so we save it until we are in deep water with lots of tidal action. Keeping a bucket of poo for three days until we are in open water sounds like an even worse option. 

They weren't heavy waves, just the normal Pacific swell, but they were enough to invert the joker valve.

Your faithfulness to the truth is admirable. A boat full of sewage in normal Pacific swell barely qualifies as an entry. I retract my nomination.

33 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

I really do mean bucket-and-chuck-it ... not  bucket-and-curate-it

12 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

But that still pollutes the anchorage just as much as if we went to direct discharge. We're trying to avoid that sort of thing.

38 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

25 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

But that still pollutes the anchorage just as much as if we went to direct discharge. We're trying to avoid that sort of thing.

If the choice was a sewage escape in my boat/bucket/head versus sewage in an anchorage, I know what my choice would be...you are evidently more principled than me Ish. Its not like its radioactive waste - Mother Nature has some ability to cope with it.

There's another option... WAG bags.  The good ones have a bag for the bucket (or head) with gellation powder in it, plus another zipper bag for when you're done.  Plus a wet wipe and a bit of toilet paper.  About a buck each, but worth it to avoid fouling the anchorage.  I used a couple over last weekend's cruise in the bay. 

And remember, eat dessert first.  That way it's the last thing you taste when feeding the fish.

That's why canned peaches are good if you are susceptible to seasickness. Tastes the same in both directions.

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

That's why canned peaches are good if you are susceptible to seasickness. Tastes the same in both directions.

Which is precisely why I loathe canned peaches

9 hours ago, alctel said:

I got to Coos Bay

Congratulations.  Persistent rough patch ahead off Eureka and all of NorCal, really, within ~100 nm. of shore and extending much farther out by Tuesday.  There is a gap of calm seas on Friday and Saturday, then big seas (up to 14') forecast until next Thursday evening (a week from tomorrow).

https://www.windy.com/?42.253,-119.949,6,m:eKTacFG

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_windy0919.thumb.jpg.5ef3bb0587ffd9e2bdf51ef0dbcf3d6a.jpg

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_windy0919_waves.thumb.jpg.7652b9c2e3e8907c958f1a6efe728eac.jpg

8 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

If the choice was a sewage escape in my boat/bucket/head versus sewage in an anchorage, I know what my choice would be...you are evidently more principled than me Ish. Its not like its radioactive waste - Mother Nature has some ability to cope with it.

Yeah, we try to walk the walk. Sometimes it's uncomfortable.

Thanks guys, I’m going to give my c-head a hug when I see her again tomorrow. I honestly don’t understand why composting heads aren’t ubiquitous. 

I've yet to puke on a boat, but there have been times when I didn't want to spend too much time below. The worst for me is working below with my head down, on a smelly diesel engine while there is big motion. After a few days I can even do that. If I've been doing a lot of soaring, even the first day - that motion is worse for sickness than a boat typically. 

It'll be interesting to hear form Actel if he's over it by the end of the trip. There are a range of sensitivities and there is a genetic/racial component according to research. 

12 ft seas at 7 seconds is worse than the shit that Skip left Wildflower in.  "Stay away, monsters be there"

Yeah that looks awful.

Leaving tomorrow morning I think I can make Eureka by end of day saturday, though a touch worried about the bar.

Else I'll divert to crescent city.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:11 PM, Jim in Halifax said:

I'll answer this again, since I didn't do it well the first time. Yes, given a choice between sewage in the boat and in the bay, you bet I'll choose the bay.

5 hours ago, alctel said:

Yeah that looks awful.

Leaving tomorrow morning I think I can make Eureka by end of day saturday, though a touch worried about the bar.

Looks like a good plan to me.  (P.S.  ~162 nm. from Coos Bay to Humbolt Bay (Eureka)?  Jetty to jetty)

Expect fog Saturday morning near shore (~25 nm. or less?), peak around 0800 and gone by early afternoon:

https://www.windy.com/-Fog-fog?fog,2018-09-22-15,42.165,-124.244,8

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_windy0920.thumb.jpg.02c56b33c2d2fa7154b103a98d522784.jpg

5 hours ago, alctel said:

Yeah that looks awful.

It's a mistake to think that a weather forecast is anywhere near as accurate as a clock.  Trying to squeak by with 6-12 hours to spare before/after a weather change is placing more faith in a forecast than is wise.    The second corollary to this rule is that when running the US west coast, once the weather changes for the worse, most all ports get effectively closed out and 'diverting' becomes a non-option.   YMMV and sometimes you can actually get away with it.  Pay the hookers well though and don't shortchange 'em, cuz for sure, in such cases, you really do end up paying....

35 minutes ago, Veeger said:

It's a mistake to think that a weather forecast is anywhere near as accurate as a clock.  Trying to squeak by with 6-12 hours to spare before/after a weather change is placing more faith in a forecast than is wise.    The second corollary to this rule is that when running the US west coast, once the weather changes for the worse, most all ports get effectively closed out and 'diverting' becomes a non-option.   YMMV and sometimes you can actually get away with it.  Pay the hookers well though and don't shortchange 'em, cuz for sure, in such cases, you really do end up paying....

It's only supposed to get nasty end of Sunday, so I figure I have 20 hours or so. I'll be constantly checking the weather though and will go right to crescent city if it looks in doubt

3 hours ago, Veeger said:

Local guy acting as naviguesser on a race boat had told the skipper the wind was forecast to fill in at noon.

When noon came around the skipper asked where the promised wind was.

The reply? "It's a weather forecast, not a fucking bus schedule".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

"It's a weather forecast, not a fucking bus schedule".

When i was a kid in 1970s Dublin, the weather forecasts were way more accurate than the bus schedules

• Like 1

Made it to Eureka  - wow this place has seen better days.

Took 2 meclizine a day for two days before I left and didn't feel seasick at all - not even slightly... wooohoo! Maybe this is the drug for me (although it could just be my body generally adapting AND it was helllllaaaaa flat and calm. The bar had 0-2 foot swells on it according to the report, hah)

So looks like on Monday (maybe tuesday depending on swell) i'll just motor around cape mendo to fort bragg. Or depending on the forecast I'll go out a bit and try to catch some wind

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, alctel said:

Made it to Eureka

Well done :) 

You must be about 3/4 of the way to SF.

7 hours ago, Bute Burnout said:

You on "gudgeon" by chance ?

Good job so far .

If you looked at his profile you would know the answer. Another thing you see unaware of is the customary offering from newbies to the anarchy gods. Do your homework and we won't keep you after school...

16 hours ago, alctel said:

Made it to Eureka  - wow this place has seen better days.

Took 2 meclizine a day for two days before I left and didn't feel seasick at all - not even slightly... wooohoo! Maybe this is the drug for me (although it could just be my body generally adapting AND it was helllllaaaaa flat and calm. The bar had 0-2 foot swells on it according to the report, hah)

So looks like on Monday (maybe tuesday depending on swell) i'll just motor around cape mendo to fort bragg. Or depending on the forecast I'll go out a bit and try to catch some wind

It looks to me like the swell doesn't calm down until Tuesday afternoon, extending further offshore by Wednesday.  Wind will be light and adverse until south of Fort Bragg, where NW wind fills in between Point Arena and S.F. for a  day (Thursday) before southerlies develop on Friday.  I see no reason to stop again since you could make the ~235 nm. from Eureka to S.F. in ~48 hours at five knots?  No better weather window in the ten day forecast?  Enjoy!

https://www.windy.com/?39.158,-123.393,8

20 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Well done :) 

You must be about 3/4 of the way to SF.

Thanks! And yeah, it didn't really sink in how close I was.

14 hours ago, Bute Burnout said:

You on "gudgeon" by chance ?

Good job so far .

Yup that's me and thanks :)

3 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

It looks to me like the swell doesn't calm down until Tuesday afternoon, extending further offshore by Wednesday.  Wind will be light and adverse until south of Fort Bragg, where NW wind fills in between Point Arena and S.F. for a  day (Thursday) before southerlies develop on Friday.  I see no reason to stop again since you could make the ~235 nm. from Eureka to S.F. in ~48 hours at five knots?  No better weather window in the ten day forecast?  Enjoy!

https://www.windy.com/?39.158,-123.393,8

I think you are right - it's probably not even worth stopping. May leave on Tuesday and see how I go.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, alctel said:

May leave on Tuesday and see how I go.

Based on the sea state forecast, a Wednesday morning departure looks better to me than Tuesday?  You can still make it to Pt. Arena in a day+ and catch the west/NW winds to S.F. on Thursday.  Bon voyage!

10 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Based on the sea state forecast, a Wednesday morning departure looks better to me than Tuesday?  You can still make it to Pt. Arena in a day+ and catch the west/NW winds to S.F. on Thursday.  Bon voyage!

Yup - I can't even actually get out past the bar today - even with the light wind it's 8-10 foot with breakers - yikes!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better! 

Alctel, while you're sitting around waiting for your window to open, I've got some single-handing questions for you:

What has been the longest port-to-port run so far, hours-wise?

Are you catching naps as you go, or staying awake the whole time?

Has fatigue and sleep deprivation been a factor for you so far?

Have there been collision avoidance concerns, or has that been a slam dunk?

I could pester you with LOTS more questions, as solo distance sailing may be in my future, but this should hold me for now.

Thanks

10 hours ago, alctel said:

Yup - I can't even actually get out past the bar today - even with the light wind it's 8-10 foot with breakers - yikes!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better! 

What are you? some sort of pussy?

Morro Bay.jpg

33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What are you? some sort of pussy?

Morro Bay.jpg

Did you mean to post in Suicide Anarchy?

Soooo a boat I had dinner with came just after I posted that above and said the bar had calmed down and they were heading out so I stupidly was like 'me too' instead of following my original plan.

Bar was ok, 6ft rollers no breakers but outside it was a nightmare washing machine (unsurprisingly as the forecast said) and no wind

Lasted about an hour and then the intake sucked in a lot of eelgrass and started smoking so I had to pull out of the raw water filter while wallowing around in the confused swell so I was quite violently sick (managed to finish filter clearing first).

It was really thick fog as well, probably about 40 foot visibility total so I got the radar/guard zones running and then went and lay in the cabin in misery with my tablet with the chart plotter copied onto it, ended up throwing up again a couple hours later as well.

Worst birthday ever tbh

At/After Cape mendo it all calmed down a bit and I just motored through the night with little wind and that thick fog still, dodging radar contacts (I would hate to do this trip minus radar)

Got to fort Bragg this morning, they had no room so I'm continuing on to bodega bay and will get there prob around 10. Seas now calm, fogs a lot less and 5 knots from South which i hope will move round to the west later.

I guess the lesson is don't go against your first instinct just cos someone else is doing it (which is obvious but...)

5 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Looks like fog for three days between Eureka and S.F. - ugh!  Clears on Saturday...

https://www.windy.com/-Show-add-more-layers/overlays?fog,39.171,-123.662,8

Yeah it was around 30 hours of ridiculously thick fog

23 hours ago, wristwister said:

Alctel, while you're sitting around waiting for your window to open, I've got some single-handing questions for you:

I could pester you with LOTS more questions, as solo distance sailing may be in my future, but this should hold me for now.

Thanks

I'll answer these when I get in and am not on a phone

Checked out your blog, and great forum topic! I sail out of SF Bay - Sausalito currently. PM me if you want to meet or need to make any store runs sunday.

I'm hoping to sail by 23'er to tomales bay after I do some more upgrades :P And then soon do something like what you're doing. Fun to see your progress while you're passing through these local waters.

56 minutes ago, alctel said:

I guess the lesson is don't go against your first instinct just cos someone else is doing it (which is obvious but...)

Thinking the other guy knows what he is doing is frequently a big mistake.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Thinking the other guy knows what he is doing is frequently a big mistake.

Goes along with the old proverb: "Never follow anyone who draws less than you do."

Sounds miserable, thanks for reminding me how ugly it can be out there.  Given a choice, I prefer a dawn departure to starting in the dark.

Nice breeze today into S.F., except for the big wind hole off Bodega Bay (which is only ~50 nm or less from S.F. - why stop now?

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_windy0927.thumb.jpg.8331e7fdd57643d47b7bd0649ccaec34.jpg):

20 hours ago, alctel said:

I was quite violently sick

Had you continued taking the Meclizine during your laydays in Eureka?  I've not had much experience with short-hop sailing in rough conditions.

I ended up in Bodega Bay and taking a layday while I put everything away, look at alt (it's only producing 15amps instead of 40) and figure out what to do in San Fran.

And also what to do next - I want to carry on down to Mexico and then the south pacific in march but I had only really planned to San Fran - now I am wondering what to do once I get there!

On 9/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, bay_cloud said:

Checked out your blog, and great forum topic! I sail out of SF Bay - Sausalito currently. PM me if you want to meet or need to make any store runs sunday.

I'm hoping to sail by 23'er to tomales bay after I do some more upgrades :P And then soon do something like what you're doing. Fun to see your progress while you're passing through these local waters.

Do you have any good moorage tips for San Fran? Looking for somewhere under $1 a foot for a couple of days while I get my alt fixed/replaced.

12 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Sounds miserable, thanks for reminding me how ugly it can be out there.  Given a choice, I prefer a dawn departure to starting in the dark.

Nice breeze today into S.F., except for the big wind hole off Bodega Bay (which is only ~50 nm or less from S.F. - why stop now?

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_windy0927.thumb.jpg.8331e7fdd57643d47b7bd0649ccaec34.jpg):

I ended up stopping in Bodega Bay, to figure out a plan for San Fran more than anything.

8 hours ago, valis said:

Had you continued taking the Meclizine during your laydays in Eureka?  I've not had much experience with short-hop sailing in rough conditions.

Yeah, I was taking one a day.

On 9/25/2018 at 1:30 PM, wristwister said:

Thanks

Longest was Eureka to Bodega Bay, around 180 nm or so.

Basically, I stay up the whole time and nap for 30 mins or so whenever I get tired. My performance definitely drops as I get tired but it's not too bad, I am still rational. The worst is my short term memory basically vanishes.

Collision avoidance has been a breeze - I've been too close in for container ships and the like, and I have an AIS transponder so they can see me and I can see them but again - I haven't come close to any. The thing i've been most worried about is fishing boats which are basically everywhere, though my radar is an amazingly powerful piece of kit (simrad 3G) and you can setup guard zones etc. Once I got the hang of it I set up a guard zone 120 degrees for 3 miles off the front and a second one 1/2 off 360 degrees around. I haven't noticed anything get close without setting it off, so I feel pretty safe about napping. 3 miles isn't enough for a fast container ship but my AIS alerts me if they are passing within a few miles. Everything is hooked up to two loud alarms, one in the cabin, and I have the chartplotter duplicated to a tablet I take inside with me. The damn fogs been so thick recently this setup is probably better than having a full crew on visual watch.

I originally went 40 miles off the coast from Neah Bay - however I ran out of wind really fast, and then started to run out of diesel after 35 hours of motoring, and heading back 40 miles was a pain so all the subsequent hops have been 5-10 miles off the coast. It must not be crab season because I've seen maybe 3 pots total, and at the marinas there are stacks of crab pots in storage.

13 minutes ago, valis said:

Hey, Gudgeon was last picked up by my AIS receiving station just east of Bodega Bay (I send my data to marinetraffic.com).

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_MarineTraffic0927c.thumb.jpg.83f1ca5dc6c401d46776f2b210aabfd1.jpg

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_MarineTraffic0927d.jpg.6dbba0b7c57366184974e60142c8a9a8.jpg

6 hours ago, alctel said:

I ended up in Bodega Bay and taking a layday while I put everything away, look at alt (it's only producing 15amps instead of 40) and figure out what to do in San Fran.

And also what to do next - I want to carry on down to Mexico and then the south pacific in march but I had only really planned to San Fran - now I am wondering what to do once I get there!

Do you have any good moorage tips for San Fran? Looking for somewhere under $1 a foot for a couple of days while I get my alt fixed/replaced.

I ended up stopping in Bodega Bay, to figure out a plan for San Fran more than anything.

Yeah, I was taking one a day.

Yeah Richardson Bay is the standard. It gets shallow when you get farther in. If you anchor on the east side of the channel outside of Sausalito, I think you're allowed to stay up to a week but some people stay for decades. I'll try to see if I can find out the best place to land a dinghy. But I know lots of people here know that area well.

Was the bodega entrance easy?

KKMI took over the old Anderson's boatyard in Sausalito, and they can repair whatever it is that ails your boat.  KKMI is a full-service yard, with facilities in Alameda as well.

As mentioned, Richardson Bay is the biggest anchorage.  Many people go ashore at the fuel dock, there's room for a few dinghies there.  Grocery within walking distance, but the West Marine moved. 

Golden Gate Acquatic Center is another anchorage - right in front of the city at Ghiradelli square.  Free for up to 3 days, watch out for swimmers. 

Angel Island is a state park, you pick up mooring balls fore and aft (same color).  They charge $30/day, but it's self pay, not sure how enforced it is. 

Lots of marinas, but <$1/foot might be difficult.  

• Like 1

Found my list...

I think this first one is the only marina I've stayed out of this list... it was good, but a hike to downtown Sausalito. (check out the bay model on the way)

Clipper Yacht Harbor

310 Harbor Dr, PO Box 187

Sausalito, CA 94966

415-332-3500

$1/foot, $25 minimum

South Beach Harbor Marina

The Embarcadero at Pier 40

San Francisco, CA 94107

415-495-4911

Oyster Cove Marina

385 Oyster Point Blvd. #8A

South San Francisco, CA 94080

650-952-5540

Oyster Point Marina

95 Harbormaster Road

South San Francisco, CA 94080

650-952-0808

Treasure Isle Marina

1 Cliper Cove Way

San Francisco, CA 94130

415-981-2416

Vallejo Municipal Marina

42 Harbor Way

Vallejo, CA 94590

707-648-4370

707-624-6728 Kim

After hours: 707-310-0068

Berkeley Marina

201 University Ave

Berkeley, CA 94710

510-981-6740 / Fuel dock: 510-843-8195

Emeryville Marina, LLC

3310 Powell Street

Emeryville, CA 94608

510-654-3716

Sausalito Yacht Harbor

501 Humboldt Ave

Sausalito, CA 94965

415-332-5000

Pelican Yacht Harbor

P.O. Box 495

Sausalito, CA 94966

415-332-0723

Cass Marina

1702 Bridgeway, PO Box 643

Sausalito, CA 94966

415-332-6789

Schoonmaker Point Marina

85 Liberty Ship Way

Sausalito, CA 94965-3316

415-331-5550

Avoid D dock ($2/ft for transient)

Marina Plaza Harbor

2310 Marinship Way

Sausalito, CA 94965

415-332-4723

Clipper Yacht Harbor

310 Harbor Dr, PO Box 187

Sausalito, CA 94966

415-332-3500

$1/foot, $25 minimum,

Richardson Bay Marina

100 Gate Six Road

Sausalito, CA 94965-3140

415-332-5510

Glen Cove Marina

2000 Glen Cove Rd

Vallejo, CA 94591-7225

707-552-3236

Grand Marina - This is my home port in the estuary.  There are a bunch more marinas nearby, I just don't know them. 

2099 Grand St

Alameda CA 94501

510-865-1200

Thanks guys that is very helpful!

I think i'm stuck in BB for the next couple of days - my coolant hose has sprung a leak and I am having trouble finding anywhere within 20 miles to get a new one.

I may just end up taping it up with rescue tape until I get to san fran - though I also need to find some coolant as I am not sure I have enough. Can I use fresh water in a pinch?

Oh and I have a tracker here

https://share.garmin.com/MatthewParsons

Reran damaged hose so it's a shorter run so I could cut off the damaged bit and found coolant at a gas station so we are in business B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alctel said:

I also need to find some coolant as I am not sure I have enough. Can I use fresh water in a pinch?

I know I'm late to the game but of course you can - coolant is mixed 50% with water.

You can use salt water in a pinch - you know the term "raw water cooled"? ;)

@alctel, how many hours did you purely sail on this trip, without using the engine, vs. how many hours motoring or motor-sailing?

Found your blog: http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/  Sixteen days so far?  (including four stops, of course)

NEAH BAY, WA TO ASTORIA, OR - Posted by Matt | Sep 16, 2018 ("36 hours of motoring, ughhhhhhh")
http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/neah-bay-wa-to-astoria-or/

ASTORIA, OR TO COOS BAY, OR - Posted by Matt | Sep 20, 2018
http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/astoria-or-to-coos-bay-or/

COOS BAY, OR TO EUREKA, CA - Posted by Matt | Sep 24, 2018 ("I just motored for 30 hours straight")
http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/coos-bay-or-to-eureka-ca/

Sausalito is cool.

I had a really good sail from astoria to coos bay of about 30 hours, (although N winds so directly downwind) starting with Genoa poled out and full main in 10 knots, going down to just the double reefed main when it got up to 25.

The rest of the time it's been south winds of 0-10 knots for 80% of the time, and the rest it's been winds over 30 knots (where I've been hiding) and I've been running the engine the whole way - I think I've had maybe ten hours total where the wind veered off the nose enough to motor sail a little.

Had exactly 0 reaching at all.

Not sure if this is a bad month for it or what, but several others boats I talked to did the same as me - started out heading out offshore, weren't able to sail much and then headed in to avoid an approaching system and refuel diesel.

At ~1550 - under the bridge - Arrived alive!

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_MarineTraffic0930b.thumb.jpg.a38d26772f50e7589574aaf482bd1b22.jpgP.S.  Looks like he's heading for the city front, south of Alcatraz...  The St. Francis YC?  (No.)  Aquatic Park Cove?  Heading for South Beach harbor or Alameda?  Maybe just taking the scenic tour to Sausalito (where I would go - sigh...)?  After this trip, I'd want to park ASAP.  I'll crack a cold IPA now and drink a toast to you, sir.  Cheers!

Neah_Bay_San_Fran_MarineTraffic0930c.thumb.jpg.9589d56ab627f3c828318e7239dd077f.jpg

Confirmed: Aquatic Park Cove.

• Like 1

+1... well played alctel!

Seems like a pretty smooth voyage for this stretch of water. I'd love to hear your 'lessons learned'.

Tim

On 9/27/2018 at 6:57 PM, valis said:

Hey, Gudgeon was last picked up by my AIS receiving station just east of Bodega Bay (I send my data to marinetraffic.com).

Valis,

What does this mean?  You’re in Friday Harbor (had to spellcheck that, as my phone put the Canadian spelling, “harbour,” in :-) ), WA, right?   What do you mean “my AIS receiving station”, if you’re way up north and he’s at Bodega Bay?

2 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Valis,

What does this mean?  You’re in Friday Harbor (had to spellcheck that, as my phone put the Canadian spelling, “harbour,” in :-) ), WA, right?   What do you mean “my AIS receiving station”, if you’re way up north and he’s at Bodega Bay?

VALIS has many locations.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:55 AM, alctel said:

I had a really good sail from astoria to coos bay of about 30 hours, (although N winds so directly downwind) starting with Genoa poled out and full main in 10 knots, going down to just the double reefed main when it got up to 25.

The rest of the time it's been south winds of 0-10 knots for 80% of the time, and the rest it's been winds over 30 knots (where I've been hiding) and I've been running the engine the whole way - I think I've had maybe ten hours total where the wind veered off the nose enough to motor sail a little.

Had exactly 0 reaching at all.

Not sure if this is a bad month for it or what, but several others boats I talked to did the same as me - started out heading out offshore, weren't able to sail much and then headed in to avoid an approaching system and refuel diesel.

Nicely done!  (Just be glad didn't have to sea kayak the entire California coast!  These offshore sea kayaker guys are nuts...and also know what they’re doing: https://www.canoekayak.com/touring-kayaks/learned-paddling-california-coast/ )

Read your thread with interest.  Planning Hawaii in two years and the route question in my mind is, go straight offshore, or hop down the coast (from Vancouver, BC) and cross from SF (which I sailed to as crew in 1990, as an early-20s guy with then-girlfriend, now wife...I’d like to get back there again, but this time on my own boat! :-) 

4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

A Vast Active Living Intelligence System, indeed :-) :-)

Paul would love to talk to you about Philip K. Dick. You'd get along well.

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Paul would love to talk to you about Philip K. Dick. You'd get along well.

He’s light years beyond me :-)

(I actually meant to look him up when in FH this past June, when bringing the old Cal 20 down to Port Townsend (R2AK).  Wish I had.  Just got busy searching for parts —Ace Hardware!—to keep the outboard alive, make ferry back to Anacortes for the drive back north, etc. Nice town, FH.)

1 minute ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

He’s light years beyond me :-)

Well, he's been dead for 36 years, so that's understandable.

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, he's been dead for 36 years, so that's understandable.

Do you mean to tell me that he who posts here under nom de plume “valis” is a digital embodiment of a long-defunct human?  I had the sense he’s electronically savvy, but... :-)

Just now, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Do you mean to tell me that he who posts here under nom de plume “valis” here is a digital embodiment of a long-defunct human?  I had the sense he’s electronically savvy, but... :-)

No, Phil Dick (must have sucked to be him in school) is dead. Paul is still around as far as I know. He hasn't sent me instructions for a few weeks.

I used to live on a ridgetop near a town called Occidental, just inland from Bodega Bay, about 40 NM NNW of the Golden Gate Bridge, and I still have an AIS receiver there.  I now live in Friday Harbor, and also have a networked AIS receiver here.  And I am a serious Dickhead (Philip K. Dick fan).  VALIS is the title of one of my favorite PKD novels, although the boat has no particular thematic connection to the book, I just like the sound of it.  As Ish knows very well, I can go on for hours, even days,  about PKD.  I'm retired now, but I will always be an electronics engineer -- it's still a passion of mine.  To the casual observer I actually appear to be a reasonably normal human, and so far have quite enjoyed meeting internet friends in person.  Do look me up if you are passing through the San Juan Islands.

Ish, your standing orders are still in effect.

If you just want a place to chill out you can anchor off of the beach on Angel Island in Raccoon Straight, between Pt Lone and Pt Stuart. There shouldn't be much in the way of swell or wake there but the current rips through so you'll want to set the hook well.  Midweek you'll probably have it to yourself. The holding is good. If you have a dinghy or kayak go ashore on the beach. There are almost no facilities available but it's free and very beautiful. There are some cool museum tours, free I think. Go ashore at night* and walk to the top of Mt. Livermore for a fantastic panoramic view of the lights.

* This may or may not be strictly legal. 

1 hour ago, afterguy said:

If you just want a place to chill out you can anchor off of the beach on Angel Island in Raccoon Straight, between Pt Lone and Pt Stuart.

There are also good anchorages at the north end of Angel Island.  However, do check the charts.  I didn't one time and anchored on top of "Subm ruins" between Pt. Campbell and Pt. Simpton.  My anchor is still down there.

Thanks guys

Managed to get to San Fran fine and anchored in the aquatic park for two days - only boat there and couldn't find anywhere to take the dingy up (the swimmers HATE boaters) so on the 3rd day I went to an expensive marina and then went and hung out with my friend for the evening.

I left today and ended up in half moon bay which seems v nice, probably leave tomorrow and go to monterery

Should I leave the thread open and keep posting in it as i hed for the south pacific even though I got to san fran?

1 hour ago, alctel said:

Thanks guys

Managed to get to San Fran fine and anchored in the aquatic park for two days - only boat there and couldn't find anywhere to take the dingy up (the swimmers HATE boaters) so on the 3rd day I went to an expensive marina and then went and hung out with my friend for the evening.

I left today and ended up in half moon bay which seems v nice, probably leave tomorrow and go to monterery

Should I leave the thread open and keep posting in it as i hed for the south pacific even though I got to san fran?

You betcha. Enjoying your account.

Leaving Montery for Morro Bay tomorrow - any ideas where to go after that? I heard the channel islands are nice but I literally know nothing about them

38 minutes ago, alctel said:

Leaving Montery for Morro Bay tomorrow - any ideas where to go after that? I heard the channel islands are nice but I literally know nothing about them

The Channel Islands are great, and relatively unspoiled.  Find a cruising guide, and pick up some State Parks brochures.  I've got some photos from our visit to the Channel Islands here: http://www.sailvalis.com/ChanIs04/index.htm

12 hours ago, alctel said:

Leaving Montery for Morro Bay tomorrow

You are about to be passed by Jeanne Socrates, who is approaching your latitude ~400 miles to the west - sailing only, age 76. ;)

tracker1011a.thumb.jpg.2b3371773c355e0a755a4485d5cb77f7.jpg