.22 Tom

West Virginia Supreme Court

Dafuk?

The West Virginia House Judiciary Committee approved 14 articles of impeachment against the four sitting justices of the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals on Tuesday.

The articles of impeachment charge Chief Justice Margaret Workman and Justices Robin Davis, Allen Loughry and Beth Walker with maladministration, corruption, incompetency, neglect of duty and certain high crimes.

In total, Loughry is the subject of eight articles of impeachment. Workman and Davis each are the subject of four and Walker is the subject of two.

Former justice Menis Ketchum was not a subject of impeachment because he resigned from the bench last month.

Some of the articles charge more than one justice at a time with a given impeachable offense.

Each justice is charged with “unnecessary and lavish” spending of state taxpayer dollars to renovate their offices in the East Wing of the Capitol. All four of them also are charged with failing to develop and maintain court policies regarding the use of state resources, including cars, computers and funds in general.

They only have 5 justices. One resigned and the other four are apparently afflicted with that lust for gold plumbing fixtures that occurs when someone else is paying.

Or maybe the legislature just doesn't like these justices and you can always question some curtains, using a work computer to log onto Sailing Anarchy, or other such things.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Dafuk?

They only have 5 justices. One resigned and the other four are apparently afflicted with that lust for gold plumbing fixtures that occurs when someone else is paying.

Or maybe the legislature just doesn't like these justices and you can always question some curtains, using a work computer to log onto Sailing Anarchy, or other such things.

It looks like the lawmakers are legitimately pissed off, the court is half/half R/D according to wiki.

3 hours ago, warbird said:

It looks like the lawmakers are legitimately pissed off, the court is half/half R/D according to wiki.

I wonder what Menis Ketchum did?

Also wonder how he survived high school with that name.

The deadline for setting up a special election is Tuesday... so the Republican Governor gets to appoint FIVE SC Justices who will be there at least 2 years. 

The Republican dominated statehouse denied the month of hearings followed by sudden impeachment proceedings was at all a political maneuver. Reportedly, they also have bridges for sale, if you are interested. 

It’s a pretty sweet coup. 

Draining one swamp at a time. Maybe integrity among policymakers will catch on.

13 hours ago, phillysailor said:

The deadline for setting up a special election is Tuesday... so the Republican Governor gets to appoint FIVE SC Justices who will be there at least 2 years. 

The Republican dominated statehouse denied the month of hearings followed by sudden impeachment proceedings was at all a political maneuver. Reportedly, they also have bridges for sale, if you are interested. 

Begs the question...……. What cases are showing up on the docket?

On 8/10/2018 at 6:41 AM, warbird said:

so wot

how's the anti-beastiality crusade going, is it going as well as the one denouncing sodomy? it's reassuring to know there are rational ones out there who have their priorities in order. you go, 'warbird'.

21 hours ago, phillysailor said:

As mentioned in the topic post, I'm willing to entertain the argument that, "you can always question some curtains."

But the guy with the funny name who resigned suggests maybe we're talking about "unnecessary and lavish" curtains with platinum threads. And they always seem to want gold on bathroom fixtures.

Do you have a source on that "denied the month of hearings" thing?

I got the quote from a West Virginia DemocRAT as quoted in the Charleston Gazette-Mail who tried to get this done half a year ago, at a point when it could have been acted on and then a special election called. But now, ohmigosh, it’ll be only GOP picks for a couple of years! Who’d a thunk it?!

“Delegate Mike Pushkin, D-Kanawha, also suggested the nature of grouping all of the justices into one set of articles of impeachment appeared to be an attempt to allow Republican Gov. Jim Justice an opportunity to appoint four of the five Supreme Court justices for at least two years on the bench.

Pushkin originally drafted a resolution to initiate impeachment proceedings in February. At the time, Senate President Mitch Carmichael said it was a political stunt, and the resolution didn’t gain traction.

“Now, I see an effort to capitalize on this entire affair by taking out an entire branch of government and replacing it through appointments,” Pushkin said.

Fleischauer said the way the articles of impeachment were drafted against all sitting justices at once gave her the appearance of an attempted “coup” to let the governor appoint the court.

Shott denied that was the case.

“We said this to our committee when we started, this was a no-win situation,” Shott said. “Especially in an election year, there’s going to be people who will spin it however it creates the most advantage to them. That’s just part of the process.”

Under state law, if a justice has more than two years left in his or her term and leaves or is removed from office 84 days prior to a general election, the governor appoints an interim justice, and voters pick a new justice during the general election.”

Seems shenanigans, GOP and Supreme Court picks is now a thing, huh?

11 hours ago, phillysailor said:

I got the quote from a West Virginia DemocRAT as quoted in the Charleston Gazette-Mail who tried to get this done half a year ago, at a point when it could have been acted on and then a special election called. But now, ohmigosh, it’ll be only GOP picks for a couple of years! Who’d a thunk it?!

That article suggests that the main impeachment issue really is the platinum-threaded curtains or whatever.

Not the first time an official has undertaken a "lavish" renovation of his office on the taxpayers' dime. This is, however, the very first time I've seen such a story and been unable to find the notorious item. There's always a notorious item, whether it's the gold fixtures, platinum curtains, or whatever, that's clearly over the top. You need one to show how out of control the situation is. Without one, it seems to me your guess of political sniping is probable.

Of course, those federal indictments suggest that there might be something more than the curtains wrong in some of those offices.

Oh I have no doubt the graft is real. I just find the timing suspicious. It’s a magnificent maneuver if intentional. 

If not, the gov should charge a bipartisan/apolitical committee to select candidates.

6 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

If not, the gov should charge a bipartisan/apolitical committee to select candidates.

There's a big difference between bipartisan and apolitical.

Sincerely,

Greens, Libertarians, etc.

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's a big difference between bipartisan and apolitical.

Sincerely,

Greens, Libertarians, etc.

I wasn’t equating the two, just mentioning there are options besides one man picking five judges.

I think the resignation maneuvered around the time limit, so it would be four judges. I'm not sure that's a power that an exec can delegate to a committee anyway, not that any would want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think the resignation maneuvered around the time limit, so it would be four judges. I'm not sure that's a power that an exec can delegate to a committee anyway, not that any would want to.

I think executives can do what they like. He wouldn't have to take their recommendation, but just appointing and consulting with such a group would take the "& we enjoyed fucking with the Democrats" out of the process.

I read elsewhere that Good Morning America covered this today and there was apparently an $8,000 office chair. There's always a notorious item.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:09 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I wonder what Menis Ketchum did?

Also wonder how he survived high school with that name.

When your class mates are Ennis Welcome, and Cherry Poppit, what do you really expect?

What does a reliable judge look like?  What does a reliable judge do?

9 minutes ago, Amati said:

What does a reliable judge look like?  What does a reliable judge do?

Stays bought.