Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PowdyrdWyg

North Texas Dinghy

I am considering purchasing a dinghy and would like advice from this "august" community. I live in North Texas; so, sailing will predominantly occur in this area. I was a high-novice to intermediate sailor ten years ago, at present, I am trying to get back into the sport. I would like a dinghy that I can grow into and will continue to challenge me. I do not have anyone to sail with at this time; so, a 2+ person boat that can be singlehanded would be ideal - this is not a deal breaker. Speed and performance are priorities; I am looking for a sports car rather than a sedan. I am 5'10" weigh 200 lbs / 91 kg.

I appreciate your help.

RS Aero

Only box it doesn't check is the 2+ person box, but you said that's not a deal breaker.

If you want to race, buy what everyone else is racing. If you want to race, you'll need others to race against. If you don't care to race, buy what you like. It's that simple. Happy Sailing! 

And come up to Texoma, you can sail one of mine if you dare. But really, how much do you want to spend, will make all the diff in recommendations

Thank you for all your responses.

I live near Lake Lewisville but will be out at RCYC tomorrow.

As far as money, I definitely want to stay under $10k. I’m a woodworker and all-around tool nut and DIYer; so, I don’t mind if the boat needs a little love; come to think of it, I’d probably enjoy it more if it did.

10 hours ago, PowdyrdWyg said:

Buy two boats. A laser then you can race in large fleets and easily travel and charter boats where needed. Then pick up a small double hander that is available in your area 

13 hours ago, PowdyrdWyg said:

Thank you for all your responses.

I live near Lake Lewisville but will be out at RCYC tomorrow.

As far as money, I definitely want to stay under $10k. I’m a woodworker and all-around tool nut and DIYer; so, I don’t mind if the boat needs a little love; come to think of it, I’d probably enjoy it more if it did.

Well i was going to tell you to jump on the Evo.   It ticks every box, except the price point.   You'd be north of that by about 4-5k for a used one.  Holler at rod favela while your at rush creek.  he has a VX one there, this is the little brother.   DCYC on Lewisville has four of them and growing.    AERO would be the boat for you if you were willing to give up the 2-person point, didn't worry about performance (really guys, the aero is NOT a performance dingy) - and to be competitive, was willing to lose about 30 lbs.  

Edit:    I should walk back that statement about not being a performance dingy, or at least clarify.  Compared to a sunfish or laser, it feels like a performance dingy.  But the performance delta is marginal.  Compared to Ortega's canoe, a 505, 49'er, evo, FD etc - it is not.   Those, i would put in the category of performance dingy.    The Aero is a good boat, and is going to be a hell of a big OD program in north texas very soon.  

If you're in Lewisville, DCYC is your best bet so far as a club close to you.  Not sure of the toll road situation to get you to Ray Hubbard.  I live near White Rock, and it's every bit of 45 minutes to get to Lewisville from my house.

Contender is a good boat where you can squeeze a second on.  It's a fun boat, and it can go well when the breeze is up.  It should also challenge you as you progress.

Sushi is right about the canoe.  Reach out to Big D at RCYC as he has an extra canoe.

If you can make it to White Rock for a Wednesday night, we have a decent fleet there, along with loaners.  Reserve a boat on our site www.dallaslaserfleet.org

OD sailing in North Texas is primarily the Flying Scot and Laser at White Rock and the MC Scow at RCYC with a bit of Sunfish and FS thrown in there.  Not sure about any other lakes.  Aero, which I sailed once in Arlington, is a fun boat and is quick to plane, but in my one time sailing it, I couldn't tell a huge difference to the Laser.  I would need to sail it more, I suppose....

And now that I have both an FD and a 505,and an IC(A),  you can sail with me anytime!

6 hours ago, ortegakid said:

And now that I have both an FD and a 505,and an IC(A),  you can sail with me anytime!

The proverbial man who has everything. I appreciate the offer. I’ll send you my contact info.

Speaking to everyone, I’m including catamarans as well in my search. Based on my research, they seem to be less expensive. And they go faster. Which brings me to my next question, where does one find a used dinghy or catamaran? I’ve contacted people through a sundry of sites and have gotten no response. Is there a broker/dealer within 400 miles of North Texas?

Rod Favela is the finest man you’ll ever meet, for new. No such thing as used, watch Craigslist.

And sail everything before you buy, some of us are just not catamaran guys!

And watch e-bay, where all of mine have come from, the MX-ray from Minnesota,  the J-18 from Tenn, the 29'er from Michigan, the FD from Florida, the 505 from Colorado, but if you want an IC, prob have to bring from UK.

Oh, and had a hobie 16, found local, paid 250$ for it, perfect restored shape, never sailed it, gave it to my son in MN for his birthday!

A Weta certainly fits the bill.  It is a ton of fun and can be sailed 2-up comfortably. A nice one can easily be had in your budget.  

Cheers,

Eric

One of my crew members   Just told me that he was selling his SR 17. I've sailed against him and it is wicked fast. He sails  it single-handed a lot but it is a better two person boat. 

IMG_5291.JPG

On 8/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, PowdyrdWyg said:

I am considering purchasing a dinghy and would like advice from this "august" community. I live in North Texas; so, sailing will predominantly occur in this area. I was a high-novice to intermediate sailor ten years ago, at present, I am trying to get back into the sport. I would like a dinghy that I can grow into and will continue to challenge me. I do not have anyone to sail with at this time; so, a 2+ person boat that can be singlehanded would be ideal - this is not a deal breaker. Speed and performance are priorities; I am looking for a sports car rather than a sedan. I am 5'10" weigh 200 lbs / 91 kg.

I appreciate your help.

Sorry if I missed you at Rush Creek this past weekend. I spent both days working on a boat on C Dock. 

If you are near Lake Lewisville (Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Little Elm), for sure, DCYC (Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club, is the best option. They do have a 3 boat VX Evo fleet and soon more boats will be added. 

Rush Creek is great and it is my home club, yet is about 60 miles away for you. 

at 200 lbs, the laser and the Aero start to get small. Even though the the price may be a little over $10K, you get a lot more boat for the Evo and it is simply insanely fun for a non foiling boat, and in fact more fun that a lot of foilers out there. Rigging time is minimum and the form stability allows you to sail it in ver wide range of wind strengths.

Here is a video of what the VX Evo looks like: 

Also, there is one for sale used in Ohio. I am checking in the price and will publish it here:

IMG_1613.jpg.e8cf172a6e0b5b24e45be4cd31479f5b.jpgIMG_1612.jpg.a29a2de07259951d6db0bd3d8c492b2c.jpgIMG_1609.jpg.f2b57efc75c459828fa631213c559828.jpgIMG_1615.jpg.cff293e5cdbf82c05a48a5cb4599b4ad.jpgIMG_1614.jpg.7412d178783b60038e07331e9d49dce6.jpg

At 91 kg you really will not be competitive in a Laser and many of the other singlehanded boats. How about a Finn?

I'm 235 lbs, and the Aero 9 worked fine for me. True - I'm not at all competitive, but I could make it go fast in big winds.

I will say though PowdyrdWyg, that VX EVO is one sweet looking ride. I saw Rod sailing it once, and it looked IMMENSELY fun, fast, and stable (three qualities that don't usually all go together). If you can make it fit your budget, I think it ticks all your criteria.

All,

Thank you for your advise and counsel. I ended up purchasing a Nacra 6.0NA. While I was initially looking for a dinghy, I settled on a catamaran as you get more performance per dollar. Hopefully, I will be looking for a performance mono in the future.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:39 AM, PowdyrdWyg said:

All,

Thank you for your advise and counsel. I ended up purchasing a Nacra 6.0NA. While I was initially looking for a dinghy, I settled on a catamaran as you get more performance per dollar. Hopefully, I will be looking for a performance mono in the future.

Haha.  You went straight to the Ferrari of the pack.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:48 PM, ortegakid said:

And watch e-bay, where all of mine have come from, the MX-ray from Minnesota,  the J-18 from Tenn, the 29'er from Michigan, the FD from Florida, the 505 from Colorado, but if you want an IC, prob have to bring from UK.

Ortega,

I would like to contract you to find me a boat as you seem to have found them in my backyard and I can't find virtually anything from the last 10 years that fits the bill.

So, I am actually in the process of selling the Nacra. It's in good condition, but it needs a little more love than I have time to give at this juncture. I'm very particular about things. I would like to find a 2 person mono that doesn't need too much work and that has parts available. I am thinking of either a Dutchman or a 505. The RS boats look fantastic, but they are out of my budget.

What do members here thing of the Dutchman and the 505? The 505 looks to be more active; however, from what I have read, it is complicated to sail - everything is adjustable. The FD is a beautiful boat.

Come sail my FD, it is complete and ready to go, my 505 is just starting  to be restored. The 505 is more modern in it's control systems, but about as many lines as the FD, I'd relate them to a nascar(FD) and a sccagt4(505).

I'll sell you my MC scow for $250. With 4 SAILS if you need a crew or an IC for double that, $500 on a dolly. PM ME

Hell of a deal, that’s my old scow, great boat! And any IC from him is golden.

I can't imagine an FD being less complicated or easier to sail than a 505.  Both are pretty much the top end of traditional high-performance dinghies.

Yep, virtually same exact lines, etc, 505 is faster and less stable, they rate 80.1 and 79.5 so about same.

57 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

Yep, virtually same exact lines, etc, 505 is faster and less stable, they rate 80.1 and 79.5 so about same.

505 IS 79.5

On 9/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, K9u20 said:

Are you looking for a one design class boat or in open Portsmouth style boat? 

Either. I suspect that a Portsmouth would be better as there are no fleets nearby that I can afford to run with. Initially, 80% of my sailing will be recreational.

If you are only Portsmouth racing, the FD.  If not, fleet racing in the 505 is the way to go. 

The Fd is strong, powerful and stable.  It is a muscle car from the 70's.   I have sailed both, and have an FD.  I love it, and it's a real  blast. 

1 hour ago, unfix8r said:

If you are only Portsmouth racing, the FD.  If not, fleet racing in the 505 is the way to go. 

The Fd is strong, powerful and stable.  It is a muscle car from the 70's.   I have sailed both, and have an FD.  I love it, and it's a real  blast. 

Deff agree, 505 is more like a lotus elan.