ExternalUse

Barient 736 3 speed - overdrive lock

Hi,

our two primary winches are Barient 3 speed winches - I've searched long and hard but can't find a proper drawing anywhere.

Apart from lmgtfy.com, would anyone have a suggestion of whom I could ask?

On one of them, the overdrive no longer locks for no obvious reason - looking at both in disassembly and assembly doesn't reveal a difference. I was hoping to find an additional hint in a manual if someone had a 3 speed one (of any 3 speed one - they may be very similar) flying around somewhere?

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Post a pic of the winch - and I'll go look in my files.

On the 3-speeds the shift lever is tough to reassemble. For me anyway. The lever, detent ball, and spring are not easy to get right. I have a drawing somewhere, too. Will post later, when home, but you can find it with google.

Most winches only go together one way, but that triple ratchet stack can be done at least two ways. One way does not work as well as the other. Ask me how I know.

Thanks for all the help so far! I haven't got a picture to hand; but here's one I found that looks pretty much the same. I think ours are 736 3st, the picture shows the 632 but the look is identical. I'll snap a picture on the boat this evening.

https://picclick.com/Barient-632-3-Big-Boat-3-speed-Self-Tailing-163200684554.html

I found a manual on http://l-36.com/winches_pages.php?winch=bar28_3sp.htm which says 3-speed but I fail to identify the overdrive lever/lock mechanism there. Any better quality drawing/manual would be very helpful.

We got it sorted!

Problem was the head of the pin, which is supposed to move freely on a stick. The top of that, behind the o-ring seal, was slightly bent and stopped the pin from moving. And what doesn't move often starts to rust - removed, cleaned and greased: working!

Still, if anyone had a proper manual for the 3-speed, that'd be great. Would stop me from being needed every time someone services it...

Kuh-Barient.jpg