Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

DQOTD cloth weights

I've been in texas so long I'm starting to feel dumb  and need some edumication..

cloth weights   exactly what does that mean?   how are the lighter and heavier weights utilized?   I can understand the  weeve , but what do you use in which situation?

what are good suppliers, locally I have found the typical cloths found in HD etc..  even west marine had squat..   I have fiberglass hawaii, but that seems a long way to get product..

I've looked at auto paint supply and they don't seem to have anything better..

Jamestown Distributors might be closer than Hawaii.  Their product descriptions & videos might help you decide what weave & weight would work best in your situation.  There's bound to be something like J.D. closer to you in FL or LA.  You'll have to look.    

In the US, cloth weight is described in ounces per square yard of 9 square feet. 

One exception is sailcloth which was traditionally 28" wide.  Sailcloth weight is weight per running yard of 28" width, or 7 square feet.

There is some inconsistency in the units of weght.

Fiberglass fabric weight is given in oz/yd2 , while mat is given in oz/ft2 

When I say fabric, that includes, cloth, roving, and directional (biax (0/90), double bias (45/45), triax, quadrax, and UD )

Cloth and roving will state the weight, i.e. 8 oz, 24 oz, etc

For directional products there is a different nomenclature - generally 4 digits long.  The first 2 digits tell you the weight of the fabric and the last 2 the weight of stitched mat (if any)

For example, the common 1708 has a weight per square yard of 17oz (fabric) plus 7 oz mat (0.8 oz x 9 ft2/yd2) for a total wt of 24 oz/yd2.  Note that the mat in this case is generally not actually 0.8 oz, but rather 3/4 oz, I assume they just round it up to 0.8

if it is designated as 1800, that tells you it has no mat stitched to the fabric and the weight is simply 18 oz/yd2 

As far as build thickness, I have found it depends mainly on the weight rather than the architecture.  10 lams of the following weights will roughly get you build thicknesses as follows:

10 lams 24 oz = 1/2 inch

10 lams 12 oz = 1/4 inch

10 lams 6 oz = 1/8 inch

In other words, about .002 in per oz of cloth for a single lam

As far as use, the lighter cloths (6 oz or 8 oz) should be used mainly for finishing while the heavier stuff  (12 oz and up) is better for structural work. 

Here are a couple of suppliers offhand: http://www.uscomposites.com/  and http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/ 

US Composites is in FL, so closer to you.  Decent array of a variety of glass products at reasonable prices  They sell epoxy, as well at extremely attractive prices.  I bought a 5 gallon epoxy kit from them.  I prefer it to WEST and about half the price or less ( 6.7 gal of resin & hardener was $299 or about $45/gal of mixed product)

Fiberglass Supply is in WA, so some freight costs would be incurred for you.  But they have a very large selection of glass products, and the best retail pricing I have found for glass product.  I have bought some UD and other glass products and have been happy with their service, although the website is a bit clunky in finding all their glass products

On 8/16/2018 at 12:57 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

quit being a cunt and stop banging Ishmael.. 

and thanks for the wholesale link ...   won't help me..

I spent another 5 minutes on Google.

https://www.blackburnmarine.com/

Queequeg is more my type. 

If you want to pay a shite load in shipping, Jamestown Marine in Rhode Island or LBI in Connecticut are excellent. 

My apologies if you don't huff acetone. I get a bit confused with petrol(gasoline), so I chose the marine version. Acetone is a wee bit aggressive when you start out. Methylated spirits(denatured alcohol) is a fine choice for beginners.

9 hours ago, CaptainAhab said:

My apologies if you don't huff acetone. I get a bit confused with petrol(gasoline), so I chose the marine version. Acetone is a wee bit aggressive when you start out. Methylated spirits(denatured alcohol) is a fine choice for beginners.

sorry around texas it's either  spray paint or go out to the natural gas well and sniff organic