Sign in to follow this  
shavdog

J27 vs J22

I need to part ways with a hunter 35.5 legend...It's a beautiful family boat that doesn't fit my needs....I owned a J22 , another J22, a cape dory 22, a cape dory typhoon, another cape dory typhoon....I do a lot of solo sailing on a rather large inland lake that can get windy at times....anyway, I found the j22 to be challenging for me because of where the tacking lines are located on the cabin top and with the traveler stuck in the middle ...well and with the wind, it wasn't the easiest for me....I needed another hand or two....I was thinking about looking at a J27 and wondered if that might be alittle more stable than a 22 and make life easier for me...I'd put a roller furling head sail on it with a reefing point in the main....I don't really care to go out by myself if it's much over 15....I live on the lake so I have plenty of opportunities to sail...there are no j27's around here and the last j80 has been sold....I wold like to keep it under 20k with a trailer....thanks.

Can't talk much about the J22 but owned a J27 for years. I sailed it singlehanded probably 80% of the time and almost always in winds 15 knots or less. I had roller furling and never had a problem. Very easy boat to singlehand and when really motivated, I would set an assymetrical spinnaker. I always considered it an easy boat to singlehand yet large enough to take others. Good boats at reasonable prices.

Just saw this post. I've owned both (and now a Laser 28) and loved them both. I didn't have roller furler and mostly just raced. I'd say the A sail would be an advantage on the 27 for SH. There was/is a 27 here totally set up to single hand and it seems to work well. So where were you when I was selling my 27?! Good luck on the boat hunt!

I haven't looked at Sonars but know there is a fleet on Lake Minnetonka....I have a 35.5 hunter legend that I would like to sell before I buy another sailboat....Right now I would likely end up with a J27...I might take a look at something alittle newer in the J fleet...

Alerion is a sweet boat with a much higher build quality. They have the exact same mast. My 27 would beat the 28's in my area. Price is a big difference in the two boats. If price is not an issue, I would get the 28. But is the 28 worth three, four or five times the price of a 27? Only someone making the purchase can make that decision. 

I read on a few different spots about the wet core issues with the Alerion boats....That caught me off guard....I saw one advertised for 29k with core issues.....I guess I would have expected more from that line of sailboats...I'm having not much luck unloading my 35.5 hunter so I have time ....I just ordered a rigid vang from Garhauer out in your neck of the woods....

I'm pretty sure early A28 was built by TPI...same builder as J-27...so other than age difference, there really shouldn't be too much of a build quality difference.  A28 might have used nicer materials in it fit out tho...

Hi,

Don’t even bother with the 22, they are good value for the money but when compared to the 24 they are a terrible value as they are much slower. I have witnessed a few of them capsize in races. The 27 is a great, fast boat but can get expensive, just go with a J24 and never look back, or penny up for the J27 but keep in mind that there are still plenty of faster boats around. It will always be in the back of your head that you could have saved on the 24.