Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajbram

What's your boat beer?

3 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

My local liquor store, Chicago suburb. 

Made with Detroit River Water, a bit chewy, iron, metal shavings, other bits!

I wish it was still brewed with fine Detroit River water but unfortunately that brewery closed in 1985. About the time it got undrinkable. 

20 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Can you buy beer at the gas station?  I love Canada but don't pretend to have the answers,   

Did somebody get out the wrong side of the bed today?? We all know that the USA is the greatest I was not trying to steal your thunder. What was the question BTW?

15 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

Did somebody get out the wrong side of the bed today?

I did.  Sorry.

Any boat soda in reality 

It must be cold and aplenty

Damn it! That’s for winter Sailing!

Oops, That’s Bourbon...summer is the time to be rumdumb

I was just at the liquor store and saw 4oz cans of rye whiskey with the old school pull tab. I know what to buy from November to March.

So... last night, normal Wednesday evening "Beer Can" series, very light wind, odd-ball course.With 6 minutes to go, we're futzing about looking at different lead positions for the genoa, all the while sailing farther from the line. I think you know what happens next.

Satisfied with the genoa leads at last, the helmsman turns back to the line with 2 minutes to go only to find we're way too far away from the line and the wind has just gone from light to non-existent in the localized hole we've managed to locate. Oh, and we're bucking an ebb. Minutes go by and we're no closer to crossing the line. The other boats are already rounding the weather mark. Time passes. While nobody is chewing off anyone's head yet, spirits aren't exactly jubilant. All racing discipline collapses, crew lounging in the cockpit -- stern down -- and every so often someone glances up at the sails and maybe pulls something a little bit.

So I made a snacktical decision and went down to the galley and the freshly refurbished and fully functional refrigerator and silently started passing up cans of Hazy Little Thing IPA and tall-boys of PBR. Our spirits picked up at the same time as the wind slightly picked up, we made the line, headed off for the weather mark and rounded along with everyone else on the 2nd or 3rd lap. Good set and time for another round of drinkses. Good gybe, good douse, good rounding, time for more drinkseses.

By that time the wind and the time limit ran out simultaneously so we fired up the diesel and furled everything and stowed everything neatly en route to the barn.

To paraphrase Freewheelin' Franklin: "Beer will get you through times of no wind better than wind will get you through times of no beer."

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

Have a beer -- you'll feel better.IMG_3612.jpg

Hmm, looks like that can's been lost in the bilges for a decade or 4....

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

News to the masses, this guy knows his beer.  And I'm old enough to remember Steve Dahl's After that Brewery on Gratiot is Gone.

Dahl was gone to Chiraq by then. That was Jim Johnson and George Baier doing Dick The Bruiser on WRIF. 

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

So... last night, normal Wednesday evening "Beer Can" series, very light wind, odd-ball course.With 6 minutes to go, we're futzing about,

So I made a snacktical decision and went down to the galley and the freshly refurbished and fully functional refrigerator and silently started passing up cans of Hazy Little Thing IPA and tall-boys of PBR. Our spirits picked up at the same time as the wind slightly picked up, we made the line, headed off for the weather mark and rounded along with everyone else...

That takes all the stress out, doesn’t it?!

Thats why we drink beer.

should've gone down earlier and distracted the skipper;) 

7 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

some nasty shit we'd drink as kids early 60's in NOVA

carling.jpg

I sailed on a Catalina 27 on Lake Michigan when I was first old enough to buy beer.  Got Michelob wanting some quality.  

Somehow they magically turned into Carling in the ice box.  ("Mabel! Another Black Label!")

Here, it's been a hot summer, I've been enjoying Leinenkugel Shandys for hydration, with rum shots to make up for the low alcohol content. 

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Damn it! That’s for winter Sailing!

Oops, That’s Bourbon...summer is the time to be rumdumb

I was just at the liquor store and saw 4oz cans of rye whiskey with the old school pull tab. I know what to buy from November to March.

30953-44567-v4_product_img.jpg

Huge fan of Red Stripe. Owner gets flats for 13.99. Cans are the way to go, but now that I'm sober it matters not. Bring me my fizzy water!!

On 8/16/2018 at 12:12 AM, southerncross said:

The delivery system is equally as important.  This little beauty holds up to 2L!  

No more worries about leaving your grog behind to work the bow.  You can latch onto this thing like a teat the entire race! 

1437001000.ashx?mw=425&mh=475&hash=EC0BA

Needs a harness attached to a shark rod/reel.   When the bow person finishes off the 2L of ration and then falls off the bow, you can at least snap rod into a fishing harness and reel them back in.

25%23_Drag.JPG

- Stumbling

12 hours ago, farrfreak said:

Huge fan of Red Stripe. Owner gets flats for 13.99. Cans are the way to go, but now that I'm sober it matters not. Bring me my fizzy water!!

More for me!

Stay sober. I’m glad you can do it for whatever the reason.

My sister “gave up” drinking. Tells everyone that and unfortunately, pours those spiked seltzers into regular seltzer bottles recently and asks everyone if they want a sip of her seltzer. Of course they say no and she gets drunk right in front of the people who know that she’s sober now and she must be dizzy from being on the boat. Sad...

8 hours ago, Bitter Gnat said:

Gnatty Light. Duh.

ci-natural-light-4e47720c32369068.jpg

Someone has been showing up with Hamms!  frigging Hamms!  Still finding empty's in strange places.  <_<

Still remember the Jingle

From one beer lover to another Haaaaaammmmmmssss!  I think I have the neon sign with that damn fishing bear in the basement at my parents.  

image.jpeg.c60a166c533aff358d75e56040c2bba4.jpeg

Damn! I just pulled a few sips off of this masterpiece!!! Says it can age in the can up to 18 months and tastes like 

I can’t describe. Really 

I’ll be Sailing all winter with that’ll.s. Twinbro picked it up as a loosie with a six pack of the Crisp

88D1FAC8-F150-4CFD-9277-89A88CBCA5BF.jpeg

6AACA2B0-08EE-4708-B7A2-EE8F8D78089B.jpeg

5F74CAC9-67D7-4EFF-B8E7-D009A4396F66.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

That’s what my dog likes!

More or less than cat shit? Given the choice.

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Someone has been showing up with Hamms!  frigging Hamms!  Still finding empty's in strange places.  <_<

From one beer lover to another Haaaaaammmmmmssss!  I think I have the neon sign with that damn fishing bear in the basement at my parents.  

I've had beer from a pitcher and from a German mug.

I've had it from a paper cup, I've poured it from a jug.

I've had beer mild, I've had beer cold, I drink it whenever I can,

but a beer is a beer is a beer is a beer until you've tasted Hamm's!

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

More or less than cat shit? Given the choice.

Thanks to Sonny I haven’t had to scoop cat shit from the 2 cats in a long time.

i wish he also ate those urine clums...

My last dog didn’t clean the litterlbox And loved beer and whiskey

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Thanks to Sonny I haven’t had to scoop cat shit from the 2 cats in a long time.

i wish he also ate those urine clums...

My last dog didn’t clean the litterlbox And loved beer and whiskey

I want what you just drank!! :D:D

My best friend, who passed in 2001, LOVED beer, but he also loved a bargain.  He started with PBR, but as time went on he moved on to Coors Light and finally Milwaukee’s Best (aka The Beast around here).  I used to call it “The Bottom Feeder of Beers”.  

Good times BITD!

On 8/16/2018 at 7:40 AM, Ajax said:

Publix...lol, you make me homesick. Did you know that they're expanding as far north as North Carolina?

Yes, I did. They will take over the world, with a smile

On 8/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, shaggy said:

Ugh.  Tried one last year, absolutely could not finish it.

Excellent for poaching brats & onions in though, lol.

Heh my current boat soda.

I'm man enough to drink girly beer.

large_dcb6ff38-3cc1-4e9a-b638-24db1c18bd

On 8/17/2018 at 2:15 PM, Sail4beer said:

More for me!

Stay sober. I’m glad you can do it for whatever the reason.

My sister “gave up” drinking. Tells everyone that and unfortunately, pours those spiked seltzers into regular seltzer bottles recently and asks everyone if they want a sip of her seltzer. Of course they say no and she gets drunk right in front of the people who know that she’s sober now and she must be dizzy from being on the boat. Sad...

I don't drink anymore either. I also don't drink any less

2 hours ago, burndoc said:

I don't drink anymore either. I also don't drink any less

I drink more or less.

After I dropped a broken beer bottle on my foot with attendant slow healing, I now use can only. The Stella's have a nice taste and form factor.

15 hours ago, hobot said:

What's up!!

1720.jpg

Oh man...  I remember when it was under 10 bucks a case.  Scary shit that.  Reindeer piss.  :)

They don't call it Green Death in a Can for nothing.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:52 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

carling.jpg

They used to be sold in NY in smaller bottles, maybe 8 oz, at 14 years old I hated the taste. Parents also used to dring Piels and Genessee. 

On the boat we usually have Sam Adams or Blue Moon, but we should switch to canned beer. 

On 8/15/2018 at 12:09 PM, gewoon ik said:

Stella, because my boat is a bit my home

+1 

It’s not crafty, but it is delicious. 

My favorite post race brew (or mid race float) is something local.  Specifically Jucifer by Gnarly Barley.  Not as much "bite" that you would think and IPA would have.  

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 9.13.17 AM.png

On 8/17/2018 at 4:28 PM, shaggy said:

"From the land of sky blue waaaateeerrrrrrrs!"

Founders All Day IPA, unless we sneak across the border and stock up on Molson Export.

On 8/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, olshitsky said:

Not until post #147 do I see this?  What's wrong with you people?

image.png.528b45363d072c97983af8b53da00219.png

I say the same for Innis & Gunn...?

Love IPAs but in hot weather I like something lighter. Came across this watermelon wheat a while back. Nice and refreshing. It's rare that I find a beer with fruit flavoring that I actually like.

Hell-or-High-Watermelon-3d-can-copy1-230x449.png.4da07e32658e7cdb04dc6552ab6b86d9.png

On 8/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, olshitsky said:

Not until post #147 do I see this?  What's wrong with you people?

image.png.528b45363d072c97983af8b53da00219.png

Just got to Ann Arbor to drop son off for sophomore year. Saw in the drug store. Drinking one now. Very nice

Depends on the situation.  For shorter races with smaller boats, leave the beer on the dock.  12 pack of beer = 9 lbs + 10 pound bag of ice + 5 pound cooler = 24 lbs.  Bottled beer weighs even more.   How much sense does it make to buy expensive titanium hardware just to add 24+ lbs.  Cold beer on the dock is also an incentive for the crew to win the race and be the first back to the dock.  And yes, I have even tried Styrofoam coolers just to save weight.  

Anyone who has to ask the OP question, has not been at sea very long.  It's time dependent.   Eventually any beer will do.

I once had a mutiny over beer. 

Racing Lightnings on an inland lake.  I was new, so a couple of the experienced guys took pity on me and agreed to crew.  

Before the 3rd race on the second day, we ran out of beer.  They pointed at the dock, I pointed at the Race Committee. 

Then they sat down and said 'no beer, no race'.  To their credit, they ran from dock to cooler and back.  We were late. 

New addition to my boat beer list: Pagoda Pale Ale, Monument City Brewing Co. (Ballmore, MD), an excellent refreshment after getting the boat ready for this weekend.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0LAh5g-Eticsg6erxvDM

On 8/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, jackolantern said:

Been partial to the Two Roads Little Heaven Session IPA these days. Very crushable. 

Always a crowd pleaser and not strong enough to make docking overly interesting. 

Natural evolution of this thread is to what makes a great boat beer. 

Pre-race*: Refreshing. Nothing that leaves you with a lingering funk of the mouth that will be distracting. Not overly strong, but strong enough to leave the workday/rest of life behind. If racing old Solings (looking at you BSC), emptying a can into your gullet and using said can to stabilize tiller/rudder connection may be required. - Any session IPA or Pilsner will work.

While racing^: See pre-race. Take a few points off the ABV b/c anybody drinking while racing is going to have more than one or two and stronger ABV will result in overly exciting mark roundings. - Usually a bud/coors/or other watery low alcohol selection.

After racing on way back to mooring/float/dock: To each his own, but again, nothing strong enough to send the full boat into a vegetative state before she is put away safely for the day. Have witnessed many an otherwise competent crew do really stupid and sometimes dangerous things after a great sail/motor in. - see pre-race. 

Post landfall: Situational awareness is key. Racing at Vineyard Haven YC and it's a beautiful day? Get thee to the upper porch with a cooler of great beer of your choice and enjoy one of the best beer drinking locations ever created by man. Day 2 of a 5 day international regatta? Judicious use of libations are suggested. BI race week? Who are you kidding? You aren't drinking beer, you are drinking mudslides.  Onion Patch Series? Rum. San Francisco in the summer? West Coast IPAs - enough to sooth the wounds. The Solent? Boddingtons. Etc. Etc. Etc.

*Strictly Tue/Wed/Thu beer can series only, or other days as nature of competition and attitudes allow 

^Beer can series + old-school club racing to government marks with 3+mile long legs. Never during real racing or while racing on a boat where fuzzy heads will results in death/dismemberment/brain injury/etc.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:52 PM, SailBlueH2O said:

carling.jpg

That Image result for carling black labelpiss is still around in Canada.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:02 AM, random said:

Anyone who has to ask the OP question, has not been at sea very long.  It's time dependent.   Eventually any beer will do.

30 years racing is plenty long in my books. I know what I like. Just wondered what everyone else likes. 

If you have become so old that "any beer will do" for you, I assume you are a very shrively old bastard and have great difficulty "hoisting your main" without chemical assistance (I suppose for you, the thread should have been entitled "what's your boner pill of choice?"). You sir, are hereby entitled to all the piss-warm Natty Lite you can consume through your feeding tube.

For the rest of you, Thanks for the great responses. Lots of interesting local crafties I have not seen. This has been our go-to of late. 

Image result for castle danger summer crush

And for the love of all things Sailing, if you're gonna post a picture of "Carling", at least post a worthy picture instead of that piss beer.

440px-Carling_Bassett.jpg

1 hour ago, ajbram said:

That Image result for carling black labelpiss is still around in Canada.

We used to hand that out to the kids that mistakenly came to the front door of our fraternity on Hallowe'en.  Neither trick nor treat.

We   O CONTENT

• ABOUTpost-2532-0-41383300-1481680871_thumb.jpg
  • We try to keep this on board, but keep running out...

Berkshire Lost Sailor IPA

Ahoy matey

berkshire lost sailor ipa can.jpg

berkshire lost sailor ipa.jpg

Lost Sailor IPA
Berkshire Brewing Company – South Deerfield, Massachusetts
ABV: 5.8%
IBU: 40

Beer Advocate: 87
Rate Beer: 63

We try to Post navigation

Love IPA's but don't want too much alcohol for on the boat.  This is my favorite compromise. https://highlandbrewing.com/beer#beers-year-round

daycation-ipa-highland-brewing-co.jpg

On 8/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, bplipschitz said:

We used to hand that out to the kids that mistakenly came to the front door of our fraternity on Hallowe'en.  Neither trick nor treat.

I had that for the first time last weekend. It was like a skunked Yuengling. 

Not this, ever again. We were presented with a carton of this diabolical stuff after finishing the 1981 Hobart at 2:00am. I am not in the least surprised they gave it to us under cover of darkness because it was truly horrible.  We drank it with glee at the time - after 5 and a half days at sea we would have drunk anything offered, but the consequences were memorably dire.

I believe the word "Draught" printed on the cans refers to the Draught Horses who pissed into the cans before they were quickly sealed and delivered to unsuspecting yachtsmen. No wonder they gave it away.

To prove my point, I still have these two unopened cans from 1981 and despite extreme provocation, severe drought and throat rasping thirst I have never been even remotely tempted to knock the top of either of these testaments to mans inhumanity to his fellow man.

In defense of the good folk at Cascade, their more recent offerings are a considerable improvement and are actually quite drinkable.

SAM_5614.jpg

SAM_5615.jpg

Sportscar...I have an unopened can from the same year...was hoping that it might've appreciated in value...but you've buggered that theory!!! ;-)

...and then there's the dreaded "Boags Lip"...a disease associate with the local fermentation that resulted in a disease so unsightly that only the local girls would accept the risk of infection...god bless 'em!

On 8/22/2018 at 4:51 PM, Slick470 said:

Love IPAs but in hot weather I like something lighter. Came across this watermelon wheat a while back. Nice and refreshing. It's rare that I find a beer with fruit flavoring that I actually like.

Hell-or-High-Watermelon-3d-can-copy1-230x449.png.4da07e32658e7cdb04dc6552ab6b86d9.png

Many a good beer out of 21st Amendment but can't agree on that one. In the variety packs it is always the last to go. Tastes more like cucumbers than watermelon. Ugh.

18 hours ago, Couta said:

Sportscar...I have an unopened can from the same year...was hoping that it might've appreciated in value...but you've buggered that theory!!! ;-)

Couta, even if it had improved in the can by ten percent per year (= 370%) it would still be worthless toxic horse piss. I am leaving my unopened cans to medical science in the hope that they can develop a cure for some horrible disease from it.

7 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Couta, even if it had improved in the can by ten percent per year (= 370%) it would still be worthless toxic horse piss. I am leaving my unopened cans to medical science in the hope that they can develop a cure for some horrible disease from it.

Eventually, it'll eat through the can and then be loose.  In the Environment.