ajbram

What's your boat beer?

Yesterday a crew member who sails with us only once or twice a year (but is coming tonight) asked what kind of beer the boat is drinking these days so that he can bring some. Below is the message exchange between him and the captain. It illustrates the following:

1. If you are an occasional crew member, it's very courteous not only to offer beer, but to ask the regular crew what their preference is.  This is good crew.

2. Our recreational beverage situation has clearly gotten away from us.

Enjoy.

Crew [11:04 AM]
I’m in if you still need hands...sorry I haven’t been any help this year and so I will be bringing the ice and beer. What kind of beer now a days? 

Cap [2:36 PM]
The beer! It’s gotten to be so fucking complicated.

Cap [2:41 PM]
In the beginning there was PBR and ice. Then some hippies decided to put quality beer in a can. That’s where it first went sideways. Now there is gay beer (hard seltzer). Lemonberry water flavored beer. Beer flavored beer. Beer flavored water. Lime flavored water. But the one thing that’s remained constant is that it needs to be on ice. And packed in the cooler properly. Good luck in your endeavors.

The important things are that we drink a lot of it (responsibly), sail fast, and have a good time with our friends and crewmates. It's also important that we don't run out and that we have plenty of water on hand as well. The type of beer really isn't an issue, but that being said, what's your boat's beer of choice?

Whatever's in a can, pre-chilled at the market, and on sale.

Sorry all you Seattle beer snobs, that's how I roll.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

In a can and cold are the two requirements for me too.

I used to not permit glass bottles on the boat. Then I got a boat with sheet bags large enough to temporarily stuff a bottle in, safely, and a cooler built into the companionway step that was convenient and safe place to drop the empties.

Now we have cold beer in cans yes, but often the real good stuff in actual bottles too. Not just those Miller ponies!

I would like to find good beer in bottles with twist-off tops. Killians seems to be about the only consistently-available alternative around here

FB- Doug

Leo

(Props to travellers or local sailors who have actually drank this beer)

(Any American IPA in a can would be better.  Have yet to find any IPA in a can here.)

• Like 1

either Landshark or Corona light. Sorry not an IPA fan

Coors Light while sailing.... ice cold so no flavor and no additional effect except to chill the crew down  B)

But once we pull back in the slip, all bets are off.....  Aged rum along with a canned Dales Pale Ale usually fits the bill.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrieMon said:

Coors Light while sailing.... ice cold so no flavor and no additional effect except to chill the crew down  B)

But once we pull back in the slip, all bets are off.....

I knew I'd find you here...  :lol:

• Like 1

Dale's Pale Ale (Oscar Blues) was among the first craft brews to be canned. It was immediately adopted as the desert camping beer and sailing beer. That said, I don't really like Dale's.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, is my go to. My wife and I both love it and it never gets old. It's been canned for many many years now. Coors Light is not beer. PBR is beer, although bad beer.

The session IPAs make good fishing beer. Luckily, canned craft beer is now widely available and there's a huge selection.

image.png.e61f585ac616075f098639f37f7b0cc2.png

sierra_nevada_wycb.jpg.7d1cba3dc9a9aa47adbd508f597d0399.jpg

• Like 1

I used to be cans only as well, but it became such a pain when shorthanded trying to find a place to put it down to actually do anything. Finally came up with a solution a couple years ago - combination bottle kuzie (they have a ring where it zips up) and dollar store key chain carabiner. bought a pack with different colors, now the whole crew can have beers and clip them wherever they wants keeping hands free.

Navtec.JPG.a23bb0199aeb73e475cf9c46090c5c61.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I knew I'd find you here...  :lol:

An extremely boring conference call going on:blink:....   

Theakstons Old Peculiar occasionally available in Grenada is my beer of choice.

At a push Pelforth Brune or Porter 39 which I can get in the French islands.

Stuff like Bud or Carib or even Heineken does not come on board as it is like making love on a boat, you know fucking close to water. 

Theakstons-Old-Peculier-with-glass.jpg

• Like 2

I could never get used to Coors Light.  Canned beer I prefer:

Yuengling (my default), Striped Bass Pale Ale (Devil's Backbone Brewing Co.), Hoptopus Double IPA (Reaver Beach Brewing Co.)

5 minutes ago, TQA said:

Theakstons Old Peculiar occasionally available in Grenada is my beer of choice.

At a push Pelforth Brune or Porter 39 which I can get in the French islands.

Stuff like Bud or Carib or even Heineken does not come on board as it is like making love on a boat, you know fucking close to water. 

Theakstons-Old-Peculier-with-glass.jpg

That's bread, not beer. Requires a knife and fork to consume. ;)

• Like 1

Dale's Pale Ale,  Sierra Nevada,   Shiner...   plus about 60 different locat breweries canning here,    but lately is beer from Big Bend Brewing their Tejas Negra.. 

tejas-negra.png

been digging sours lately, especially in the heat. they are hard to find, especially for cheap, but brooklyn does a good job with theirs

Bel Air Sour

3 minutes ago, fingerbang said:

PB Fucking AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH (Pabst Blue Ribbon!) as we have cultivated palletes!

Doesn't look very cultivated to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet#/media/File%3AWooden_pallet_with_glove.jpg

36 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

those mini Buds....just the right amount

A man after my own heart.   Nice to open and quick to consume while racing on a boat with no beer holders.

It can be hard to track down those in South Tampa.   Publix on Gandy use to stock them, and ABC occasionally stocks them.

- Stumbling

Just remembered after submitting another favorite.

On Flankspeed (SC-50) in the 90s, I would stock up Fosters for the post race beer.   I found that 4inch foam pipe insulation worked out as coozies to keep them from warming up before one was done working on one.

"Big boat, big fun, big beer!!!" quote from Big Tim

- Stumbling

Back in the 90's in SoCal, I raced with a fun team on a Laser 28, "Prophet".  We each brought our own beer on board for racing.  The bowman had a 12 pack of neutral light stashed in the chain locker.  The trimmer had Coors Light, the owner drank Bud, Pit had MGD.  I alway brought Heinies. 

My beer was alway drunk first somehow!

30 pack of muh fuggin Bud Light on a Tuesday night.  3-5 of us on the boat.  30 beers and 8 lbs of ice fit in the soft cooler.  Chuggable, spillable, crushable, drinkable.

Usually get back to the dock with a couple stragglers floating around in the bottom of the cooler.  They may or may not make it home.

Gucci beer is too much work to drink on a sport boat.

• Like 1

Coors Banquet.  BITD it was not available east of the Mississippi and developed something of a cult following here on the right side of the country.  One of my two IPA snob sons admits CBB is a pretty good beer for drinking on hot sailing days. 

Good price in a 30 pack too!

2 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Heineken...

best tasting beer you can drink all day.

Just had to include this - "Heineken?  Fuck that shit...Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!

PBR when its hot...cooler days  Two shy brewing's pilsner named  ELLA.....but my favorite is a free beer.....

4 hours ago, IrieMon said:

But once we pull back in the slip, all bets are off.....  Aged rum along with a canned Dales Pale Ale usually fits the bill.

What does that mean??  Are you like my father and think that the light beers have less alcohol??  You do realize that is totally false right??  BTW, Coors light is frigging awe-full.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I’ve had about 6 Lite beers in all the years they’ve been on the market...

Be proud of that...  I think it is a generational thing, just like states east of the Mississippi love Coors...  My dad, 80 now, laid claim to that till he turned 60 and the Chicago heat started to get to him.  Even then he would cut it with shiner bock.. 

For the hotter days ,   Real Ale Fireman 4,   Southern Star bombshell blonde,  St arnold Lawmmower..     all of these are a hundred times better than anything considered "light"

funny, PBR doesn't brew beer anymore...   everything is contracted out..     

Gee shag... if you can't burn off 4.2% alcohol in your regular boating activity, then perhaps this explains a lot.

the bulk of it is Miller Lite, plus some Shiner Ruby Redbird in a can if we find it.

Had a couple tea-totaler crew members a couple races ago, it was the first time we ever ran out of water.

Hate to be the spoiler here, but what is this "beer-on-a-race-boat" thing.  Water or Gatorade until we head for home.  It's a race.  Then its a party.

And then, if anybody breaks out a light "beer" or anything ever advertised during a major sporting event, they are invited to go to beer school before the next race.  

3 minutes ago, IrieMon said:

Gee shag... if you can't burn off 4.2% alcohol in your regular boating activity, then perhaps this explains a lot.

I challenge you to actually tell the difference between .8%.  <_<  at least in CO they used to stamp the cans as 3.5 was legal at 18, and I won't even start with the by weight and by volume thing.  We did a lab in school where we pitted the 3.2 crap they sell in grocery stores here and normal "6.0" beer.  Well, they came out almost exactly the same back then.  So. YMMV  ;)

The delivery system is equally as important.  This little beauty holds up to 2L!  

No more worries about leaving your grog behind to work the bow.  You can latch onto this thing like a teat the entire race! 

1437001000.ashx?mw=425&mh=475&hash=EC0BA

• Like 1

leinenkugels when i can get it, or sessions, 805's, or vitamin r's...if captain sweatpants is aboard it's all mgd all the time

17 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Hate to be the spoiler here, but what is this "beer-on-a-race-boat" thing.  Water or Gatorade until we head for home.  It's a race.  Then its a party.

And then, if anybody breaks out a light "beer" or anything ever advertised during a major sporting event, they are invited to go to beer school before the next race.  

Wow.  Someone has no chill.  I bet you're  blast to race with.  :/

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It is sometimes acceptable to have beers stashed in the bilge as post-finish travelers.

35 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

This is pretty funny, Seppo beer is water or fucking close to it!

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I used to not permit glass bottles on the boat. Then I got a boat with sheet bags large enough to temporarily stuff a bottle in, safely, and a cooler built into the companionway step that was convenient and safe place to drop the empties.

Now we have cold beer in cans yes, but often the real good stuff in actual bottles too. Not just those Miller ponies!

I would like to find good beer in bottles with twist-off tops. Killians seems to be about the only consistently-available alternative around here

FB- Doug

You need to learn how to open bottled beers.

For us, the beer of choice is Sailor Jerry's.

3 minutes ago, lydia said:

You do need to get out more.

Busch beer in the cooler on the boat is fine... especially on super-hot days... along with water, ginger ale, diet soda of some sort...

another cooler left on shore... with Bass Ale...

33 minutes ago, lydia said:

And Fosters is Australian for beer.

43 minutes ago, lydia said:

So is Fosters, except somebody pissed in it.

1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

Wow.  Someone has no chill.  I bet you're  blast to race with.  :/

Same core crew of 15 peeps for the last 20+ years.  They seem happy.  Plenty after the race and some stashed in the cooler for the ride in.  Works for us.

• Like 2

Whitbread was the beer of coice of the winner of the round the world race. Cases were deposited prior. 

After, an Irish car bomb, was tested  with negative results. 

9 hours ago, Leon T said:

I could never get used to Coors Light.  Canned beer I prefer:

Yuengling (my default), Striped Bass Pale Ale (Devil's Backbone Brewing Co.), Hoptopus Double IPA (Reaver Beach Brewing Co.)

It was you that started my Yuengling thing!!!!

• Like 1

My boat name is Delirium... 

...just Say'n

Of course there is a heirarchy.  Sierra Nevada Greenies are fairly high up there.  Fat Yak Lazy Yak if we're having more than one.  While not beer, I suspect some of this will make it's way onboard this year:

677526-1.png?impolicy=PROD_MD

Honestly, I haven’t put beer on the boat in two or three years.  I just keep fishing out weird stuff that guests have left. Some of it is pretty tasty, but I do have to look askance at it when the cap is rusty.  Of course, I still drink it...

I have been putting too many hard ciders, Gatorade, and iced teas in the ice box.  But who needs all that sugar and caffeine?  

So far, I have not had to deal with a prospective crew who offered anything as low as “Coors,” “Bud,” or that sort of urine.  I’m not sure whether I’d make him leave it on the dock, or just not allow him on board in the first place...

Still trying to figure out which joker left a “coke” in my ice box... <_<

Scrumpy cider, when you can get it , it doesn't keep well. If not, a Dry cider, of a good alcoholic strength.

At the end of the day Feet up,  Highland Park Malt Whisky (Viking Honour).

Some fellows told me many years ago, "We quit drinkin' beer on the boat.  We take a swig of Jack Daniels with 2 minutes to go and get real aggressive on the line".

10 hours ago, Keith said:

Ship Wreck IPA, from lighthouse brewing co.   http://www.lighthousebrewing.com/

Last time we were in Victoria, we were at Garrick's Head and a friend recommended I try Lighthouse's Numbskull (9.1% Imperial IPA).  Tasty but I was done after two quick ones...

Way better than my youthful memories of high tests like Brador and Extra Stock...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Charsel said:

Yuengling, or what's on sale at Publix

Publix...lol, you make me homesick. Did you know that they're expanding as far north as North Carolina?

reds and greens.....i drink the greens

11 hours ago, IStream said:
14 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

You need to learn how to open bottled beers.

For us, the beer of choice is Sailor Jerry's.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog-line-bottle-opener-with-fisheries-logo-588450fs

Cast 316. Put one on the mast, in the cockpit, in the galley...

After the second one, I just bite the tops off

If you put one in the cockpit, it goes overboard during the scramble at the windward mark, if not at the start. Then you get the opener from the galley, because of course the bowman needs to keep the one at the mast. Then that one goes overboard too. Then you have to ask the bowman to open all beers, until he drops it (or gets mad).

Twist-off tops are much better for all.

9 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Never glass on a boat, no explanation needed.

When I'm buying,

image.png.660ecb297dde1b4c56fcd7d5a62c56cf.png

WHOA !!!! haven't seen that stuff in years. Where?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

After the second one, I just bite the tops off

If you put one in the cockpit, it goes overboard during the scramble at the windward mark, if not at the start. Then you get the opener from the galley, because of course the bowman needs to keep the one at the mast. Then that one goes overboard too. Then you have to ask the bowman to open all beers, until he drops it (or gets mad).

Twist-off tops are much better for all.

FB- Doug

Look a the picture, it's a bulkhead-mounted opener.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

My local liquor store, Chicago suburb. 

Made with Detroit River Water, a bit chewy, iron, metal shavings, other bits!

11 hours ago, Spoonie said:

My boat name is Delirium... 

...just Say'n

Of course there is a heirarchy.  Sierra Nevada Greenies are fairly high up there.  Fat Yak Lazy Yak if we're having more than one.  While not beer, I suspect some of this will make it's way onboard this year:

677526-1.png?impolicy=PROD_MD

If the name of your boat is delerium, you can only drink

https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/177584/files/109419713/delirium-tremens-33cl.jpg

Only the had is annoying when sailing

When racing, I buy the beer.  And with a crew of ten we get through a lot.  It HAS to be cans, and Coors extra Gold is cheap.

I do a deal early in the season at my local supermarket and buy 20 cases of 30 pack cans.  With the bulk discount it works out at about $10 a case of 30.  $0.33 a can.    Screw the IPA sh!t.    When we crack a few beers and suddenly we need to gybe or change a headsail, we need to dump the beers in the sink and get the job done.  Better $2 than $8 going down the drain. 

Zlaty-Bazant_.thumb.jpg.bdd9a71932439c19520f09ecf3aecf5c.jpg

Best beer ever, too bad it is hard find on this side of the pond in North America

Dropping your beer is slow. Dropping your beer overboard is a crime.  Get a koozie drink holder (learned this from an accomplished bow-girl 30 yrs. ago).

RiverRunner_RedWhiteandBlue_6-Pack.jpg?v

Oskar Blues Pinner or Dale's Pale Ale is my pick as skipper, though if it's over 90 I prefer Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beer Flavored Sodas.  My crew loves the shit out of some Modelo Especial.  And one of my bowmen works in a brewery, so we often have a growler or two of exceptionally good Belgian style beer.  Another one always rolls up with really high quality rum. 

We're mostly post race drinkers though, not good enough to race buzzed in our OD class, except maybe we'll have a beer with lunch during distance races. 

22 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

those mini Buds....just the right amount

I bring the 8 oz. Coors Light in cans.  Just a couple of swallows, and it's time to hoist or douse the kite, etc.  Most of my mates are into the IPA's, and occasionally the skipper and his wife make some basement brew at home.  My silver '17 WRX is also called Coors Light; the Silver Bullet!! :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

Image result for grolsch

real beer that is perfect on a hot day

I'd be all over that if I could find it locally.