Sign in to follow this  
jabrams

Dehumidifier in Florida

Our team melges 32 will be arriving soon and I am starting to make plans on the up keep of the boat. The sailing center she is going to dry sail out of does not have power in the lot so I am trying to figure out a way to dry the interior out. Was thinking about a solar fan that I could mount in a custom companion way  cover and then some of the damp rid buckets below. This is not the same as an electric dehumidifier but do you all think it will work or is there a better idea?  Thanks 

Get a very long extension cord, and a real dehumidifier.

There is no substitute for the real deal.

This and a wet vac were the most important tools I had when I was running a sled.

A couple of things about a real dehumidifier.

You have to find a way to drain it.  If you rely on the built in tank, you will almost certainly have to empty it every day or two, especially in Florida.  Don't be fooled by a 70 pint capacity - that is how much water it is rated to pull out of the air each day.  It is not the capacity of the tank, which are usually maybe a few pints.

To drain it, if there are through hulls or say a sink, you need to make sure the hose connection at the dehumidifier is above the through hull or sink.  Otherwise you will need to buy one with a pump, which wold also be the case if there are no through hulls and you want to have it dump into the cockpit to drain.

Many of them have a garden hose connection out the side - but you still have to get that connection above whatever it is draining into. Sometimes the motor intake strainer works - remove the top and let it go there. Sink is usually high enough that the DH has to be near the roof. 

what^^^? Just put it on the chart (or any) table, run the hose to the sink, hell I even saw a guy adapt an old bosuns chair and set it in that, hung it from the overhead and it drained again...into the sink.

I could dry 2 or 3 chutes a night with it.

• Like 1

The sled I raced on kept the boat shut up drum tight and ran a portable dehumidifier 24/7 which drained into the sink.  The boat concierge said it reduced the weight of the boat by a few hundred pounds.

39 minutes ago, Coolerking said:

what^^^? Just put it on the chart (or any) table, run the hose to the sink, hell I even saw a guy adapt an old bosuns chair and set it in that, hung it from the overhead and it drained again...into the sink.

I could dry 2 or 3 chutes a night with it.

The OP is dealing with a Melges 32 - stored on the hard. 

I don't know if they even have sinks or tables of any form.:(

Just place a few 75 lb bags of white rice about the interior of the boat. Don't laugh, I've actually seen this done in the boatyard on a soggy J-29. 

There is no sink, head or such. I have a dehumidifier and ran it all the time on my previous boat that was in the water with power. Now the issue is no power, not drainage which I could do a lot of easy ways. Guess I buy a lot of rice. 

In that case, cross-ventilation with solar-driven fans is the way to go.

If you have no easy access thru hull but have an auto bilge pump.  Pop the pump off it's clips, chuck it in an ice cream bucket, yogurt container or any bucket that will fit down in the cavity and hold the pump, dehumidifer on a milk crate or something tall enough so it can drain down to that.  The pump will move it overboard. 

Well he's got no power either. So I think he has a wet boat. Sacks of rice might work for a moment, you'd have to bake them out every day or two to keep them working.