PowdyrdWyg

Fiberglass Repair Estimate

Can anyone provide me with an estimate of the cost to repair a crack in the hull such as those in the attached picture. I will likely try to do this myself. I have no experience with fiberglass, but I am a competent woodworker and an advanced DIYer.

Thank you

Crack 1.JPG

Crack 2.JPG

Depends a lot on how deep the cracks are - if they're just gelcoat, it's fairly straight forward, if it goes into the fiberglass, it will be a bit more involved.  Unfortunately only way to find out is to start dremelling the crack out and see how deep it goes.

i'd take up the inspection plate to see what the crack is doing at the edge..     boat looks beat up,  do you really want to put in that effort...

btw,   fiber glassing is easy....   west systems site has plenty of info and tutorials on diy...   anything you do , can be redone..  

Thanks. It is a used boat I am looking at. It is in my price range as I cannot afford a newer one, and I have budgeted for some repairs. I have included other pictures below. The boat has spent some time in storage, and I think it needs a good wash, but please let me know if you disagree.

boat 2 (2).jpg

boat 3 (2).jpg

boat 1 (3).jpg

This could be caused by shrinkage of the polyester gelcoat after a slight bit of flex caused an almost invisible hairline crack, as far as I know the Nacras are polyester gelcoat and epoxy sandwich laminate, so I would regard the cracks as cosmetic, not structural. The cracks around the hatches will not lead to any structural failure, put the rudders in the boat and push, pull and twist the stocks and see if there is any flex in the transom around the gugeons, I doubt if you will pick up anything. Draw a line at the end of the cracks and go sailing, if they elongate then start worrying.

Remember these things frequently crash and burn at speed. The hulls gonna get flexed torqued and sprung. 

As others have said rig it fully give everything a yank and a wiggle and if nothing shows up as bad mark the ends go sailing and see if anything gets worse. 

Crack near the inspection hatch might be from an old hole from a previous hatch, check to see the hatch isn't hiding a lot of holes

You bought a wonderful boat.  Put some soapy water on the cracks and add internal air pressure.  If it bubbles you have leaks if not it is cosmetic gelcoat cracks and can be fixed with MarineTex epoxy putty in white.  Remember epoxy hates oil so keep it clean.

I'd have a bit of a guess and say it's minor stress fracturing along the spit moulding seem .It doesn't appear to be anything to sinister but if you're concerned by them I would probably use a Dremel tool or something similar just to remove the gellcoat along the stress lines to see if the glass is cracking . If it is then it's a small glassing job , if not then just re-gellcoat .

I sailed on a buddy's Nacra 5.2 in college and it was a blast. Have fun with that 6.0!