Sign in to follow this  
gjbike

The little engine that could...

When wind died at the end of some racing we towed 3 J22's ( one just pulled away) back to the marina. What is remarkable is that I have only a Yamaha 2.5 hp outboard on the back on my FE28R! It was slow but we made it!

IMG_3184 (1).jpg

Get yourself a 3.3hp Merc / Tohatsu. Having used a 3hp Yamie & the 3.3hp can confirm the Merc had a lot more Torque. 

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Get yourself a 3.3hp Merc / Tohatsu. Having used a 3hp Yamie & the 3.3hp can confirm the Merc had a lot more Torque. 

Probably so but I don't think new small 2 stroke engines are available in US due to emissions standards. 

Hey - I saw (and admired) the F E 28 at the Annapolis boat show in '16 when it was introduced - and have been wondering since then how it stacks up in a mixed fleet - what are you sailing against there,  and - how you doing with it ?

It has taken some time to find out what rig tune and sailing style works best but in the end this boat has a lot going for it.  In low wind only the dinghies can keep up with us . It will move in as little an 2 kts wind. Once you get in dialed in you can do 2.4 kts boatspeed in 2 kts wind on a beam reach. Upwind it will point as well as any boat out there but like most sportboats with high aspect foils  you have to get keel biting first.  It does best with less than 15 degrees heel which means crew of 5 or 6  hiking hard in anything over 8 kts wind.  The boat will start to plane at 7 kts boatspeed which starts at 10 -12 kts wind downwind or even on a reach. It's very stable under the asym kite  due to the large rudder- gives you plenty of warning when you are starting to broach  so that  you can muscle the boat under the kite usually, We are slightly faster than the J88 side by side downwind. I have an experienced driver now so we are almost always first to the line well ahead of the Melges 24, J92, J88, J27, Olson 30 , U20. We usually start 5 min behind the J22 fleet and can usually pass most of them of the second lap of our typical 1 mile W/L courses. We were given a provisional PHRF of 54 which is too punishing.  A couple of FE28R's in the Northeast have been given a 71 which I think is more realistic. We will be asking our PHRF committee to reconsider. We still win often but I think a good portion of that is meticulous attention to sail trim, crew placement and staying in phase with the wind shifts. If you can get a PHRF of 71 or so you can be very competitive in a mixed fleet. 

Sounds like you have a great reference fleet there !

A J/88, 27 & the Olson & M24 - that sure ought to demonstrate what the boat is capable of - -   if all are well prepared & sailed that should provide a solid baseline.

I used a Honda 2.3 hp on a J27 for years. I would not recommend in areas with strong currents or a need to go up wind in any kind of breeze. But for in and out of a slip or when the wind dies, it was more than adequate.