Commercial Boater

SCOTW Pick Offends the "Sea Gypsy"

Our proud forum has many traditions, some of which are more appealing to the neanderthal parts of our brains than others. There's certainly a valid debate over whether traditions like the tit tithe for new users are appropriate or good for the community. SCOTW is another one of those grey areas, which may or may not reflect on the Ed's own troglodytic tastes more so than the entire website itself. I personally am far more interested in the feelings of the "chicks" featured in the posts than the opinions of their self-proclaimed defenders.

But a post by a sailing blog I've been reading for a few years gave me pause, and not in a good way. Because according to Emily of Dinghy Dreams, "...you should stop reading Sailing Anarchy." Her central claim is that the recent SCOTW pick reflects a misogynistic focus on the part of SA as a whole which downplays the achievements of female sailors for the sake of ogling their bodies. Admittedly the recent SCOTW was rather racy, but it was also nearly immediately followed by an article extolling the amazing virtues of Hillary Lister and her accomplishments. There's certainly some give-and-take at play here, but something about Emily's one-sided, self-aggrandizing take rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it was the way she threatened to go to SA's advertisers over Scot's "sexist discourse." Or her strange view that anarchists must necessarily be "freedom fighters... and allies."

Her schtick is that she's a women sailor in a mostly male-oriented community, so she must deal with constant oppression and scorn by the defensive, childish males she encounters. I don't know if it's the stereotypical hipster dreadlocks, or how eager to help everyone she meets seems to be, but this narrative seems trite. It might be the free sailboat she was given after receiving a free photography session, or the multiple free dinghys and assistance building more, or the near-constant begging for donations, or the free dockage she routinely gets. This seems to me to be a case of a millenial choosing to live in "fashionable poverty" and complaining how difficult their life is even as they receive regular assistance and donations from other people.

I like this blog and it's one of my regular reads, but this killed me. Has anyone met this Emily before? What was the sense you got from her? Will she be a Jennifer Appel?

Never heard of Emily. But someone who gets by by getting free stuff shouldn't be complaining about others getting any recognition for any reason. 

• Like 1

Ironically, I’ll bet this thread gives her more attention than she ever had. I never would have known about her, and I clicked on a couple of her links and read her stories.

• Like 1

For someone in a fundraising endeavor "Any publicity is better than no publicity." Maybe???

she lost me with the first sentence:

I’ve lived and sailed on boats where my boyfriends’ were always the captain.

when she learns some grammar and doesn't post her own crotch-shots, then maybe she'll earn some cred.

she seemed wacky and her recent attacks on me personally - right before she blocked me (of course) - were nasty. i know there are two ways to look at that pic. you know me, i'm not offended by anything i read or see (unless it is the traitorous dotard), but i certainly can see the other side.

all good here. carry on!

• Like 1

Typical Bullshit.

6 hours ago, RKoch said:

Never heard of Emily. But someone who gets by by getting free stuff shouldn't be complaining about others getting any recognition for any reason. 

"free stuff" .... if you run a popular blog I wouldnt call it "free stuff" - she probably worked pretty hard with that blog before she got anything back. And it work like this; she run the blog doing things and writing taking pics films etc - she have no rights - its totally up to someone to pay or give something to her - but I someone do it its because the where entertained by that blog, like TV og books etc - that they have to pay for.  Running a blog is no free ride, and it certainly dont block her to have her opinion on this - she knows more about that theme than any of us men. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commercial Boater said:

.. she must deal with constant oppression and scorn by the defensive, childish males she encounters... free sailboat she was given .. free photography session, .. multiple free dinghys and assistance building more, or the near-constant begging for donations, or the free dockage she routinely gets.

that's enough for me... she can fuck right off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaGul said:

"free stuff" .... if you run a popular blog I wouldnt call it "free stuff" - she probably worked pretty hard with that blog before she got anything back. And it work like this; she run the blog doing things and writing taking pics films etc - she have no rights - its totally up to someone to pay or give something to her - but I someone do it its because the where entertained by that blog, like TV og books etc - that they have to pay for.  Running a blog is no free ride, and it certainly dont block her to have her opinion on this - she knows more about that theme than any of us men. 

Her blog consists of whining about stuff she can't afford, and crowing about stuff she got for free. Some of that free help and stuff may have come from people who enjoy SA. So rather than upping her blog game so she can support herself, she threatens to go complain to SA advertisers. Phht....whiney thing can just fuck off. 

• Like 1

MAKE HER THE NEXT SCOTW!!!!   With a nice little caption only Ed can come up with.....

• Like 1

The use of the SA-forum has dropped a lot the last months - from what I can see, Ed can maybe confirm that - can be many reasons (it happends to many different forums) - but this type of post and treads can be one reason...

34 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I bet most of the free stuff came from 'oppressive' males, too.

I think it all did...except for the free meal when a couple invited her aboard their boat for dinner. Afterwards, she complained in her blog that the dinner had cheese, and she was lactose intolerant.

Consider also...the day she wrote in her blog complaining about a picture of a woman in a bikini in SA...that was the most important thing to do that day. Not earning money, not fixing or cleaning her boat. No, the most important thing was to express poutrage over a picture of a bikini-clad woman. 

35 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

The use of the SA-forum has dropped a lot the last months - from what I can see, Ed can maybe confirm that - can be many reasons (it happends to many different forums) - but this type of post and treads can be one reason...

When you're losing, make up alternate 'facts'. How Trumpian of you.

Rich white old cunts dig that shit.  They get a twinge just behind their knob, that hasn't had an erection in years, and chuckle to each other.

Sad.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

When you're losing, make up alternate 'facts'. How Trumpian of you.

..am I losing - didnt know I was in a competition.  But I wonder why a "super anarchist! with 15.000 post feel the need to attack a young sailor girl that defends other young sailing girls? And Trump  - who do you think he would support;  you or me? 

1 hour ago, SeaGul said:

..am I losing - didnt know I was in a competition.  But I wonder why a "super anarchist! with 15.000 post feel the need to attack a young sailor girl that defends other young sailing girls virtue signals while sponging off others ? And Trump  - who do you think he would support;  you or me? 

FIFY

Emily works her ass off, actually. She has a degree in journalism, bought the boat she lives on, is currently paying a boat yard for storage while she works hard on said boat, and is working hard for her living expenses. So before you decide to personally insult her, consider whether you know the details of her life. I know her personally. I’m a hard-working genX-er. She is everything that is GOOD about millennials. She refuses to buy into the American Dream that fucked over my generation. So why beat her up for that? This chick single-handed a 26’ classic sailboat well over 2,000 miles. So before you judge, please realize that everyone has their own story. 

• Like 5

I know Emily. We have crossed paths many times and have had many night caps discussing all things from sailing to her DEGREE IN JOURNALISM. She is not this low life, beggar that she’s being portrayed as. She works extremely hard and always has. Her work ethic is amazing-she chooses to accept things donated to her to be able to save money for necessary repairs and haul outs and god forbid GROCERIES. She’s defending other female sailors like herself and myself. I suppose because men aren’t objectified the way that women constantly are they wouldn’t understand. Make things about the skill and talent of sailing ! Not the way someone looks!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

that's enough for me... she can fuck right off.

Ok, I guess I'll chime in with my encounter with this person:

When she passed through the Chesapeake, my wife and I gave her free dockage for a few nights, let her sleep in our guest room, let her use our laundry, bought her dinner and then drove her to the grocery store and we paid for a few weeks of provisions. I gave her a bundle of fuel cartridges for her butane cooker. I also gave her a perfectly serviceable Avon dinghy which she quickly discarded somewhere because she decided that it didn't work for her.  I also let her rummage through my pile of sailboat hardware for anything she might find useful.  My wife and I freely gave her these things and refused any offer of compensation. Well... I asked her for one thing-  to play her ukulele, which she did, and was enjoyable listening.  After a few days, she went quietly on her way.  We haven't sent her any money or assistance since then.

My wife and I were generous and didn't judge her by her appearance or lack of funds or her choice to embrace a lifestyle different than the typical US rat-race. She seemed relatively normal and kind, she just seemed to be out there looking for her inner self, which is just fine by me. I told my wife that I respected her decision to forgo the comforts of modern life in exchange for a higher level of freedom.  I offered advice to Emily on various topics such as repairs her boat needed and the best way to make her way down the Chesapeake but I stressed that she's the captain and I wasn't trying to impose anything upon her as (apparently) male sailors have tried to in some of her past encounters.

She has a Paypal link on her blog but my impression is that she doesn't aggressively panhandle... at least, she didn't used to. She doesn't have a Youtube channel and doesn't bombard people with pleas for money or goods at every opportunity.

During her travels she told me that she has encountered some rather creepy, older male sailors which has probably colored her perceptions but she also had very positive encounters with my wife and I and some other Chesapeake Anarchists whom I will not name at this time. 

Apparently, she's discovered her inner SJW.  Sailing Anarchy is a community. I'm not willing to condemn the entire community because one person, the owner, made a juvenile post of some woman's clothed crotch while she was caught during an ungraceful moment of recovery. This place is far more than the "Front Page" despite the fact that the forum is owned by one person.  I don't follow her blog regularly and I don't agree with her recent screed but she's entitled to her opinion I guess.  The post seems somewhat out of character for her and I'm not very impressed.  Frankly, she should take heart in the fact that so many male forum members have voiced their objection to the photo instead of focusing on the one person who made the error.

To be honest, after reading this recent rant, I'm glad my wife was present nearly all of the time and I'll think twice about being so open and generous with total strangers in the future.

• Like 7

I am always most impressed when new posters show up to give their opinions on stuff. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I am always most impressed when new posters show up to give their opinions on stuff. 

.. without showing any pics of their or their GF tits first.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Scot is the TRUMP of the sailing community.  He is the biggest chauvinist pig.  The proof is on his facebook page when he gets dumped.  He doesn't get his way, he throws out all their dirt.  I guess decades of snorting coke will do that to you.

4 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

Scot is the TRUMP of the sailing community.  He is the biggest chauvinist pig.  The proof is on his facebook page when he gets dumped.  He doesn't get his way, he throws out all their dirt.  I guess decades of snorting coke will do that to you.

So sorry to hear about your getting dumped. Therapy is often quite helpful, getting off FB will speed up your recovery.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

d'ranger, you're a wanna be sailor.  I've seen you several times running around the YC 2 hours before the race with your gloves on.  do you even sail anymore?

you have been here 14 years and that is the best you got?  No wonder your panties stay in a twist.

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Ok, I guess I'll chime in with my encounter with this person:

When she passed through the Chesapeake, my wife and I gave her free dockage for a few nights, let her sleep in our guest room, let her use our laundry, bought her dinner and then drove her to the grocery store and we paid for a few weeks of provisions. I gave her a bundle of fuel cartridges for her butane cooker. I also gave her a perfectly serviceable Avon dinghy which she quickly discarded somewhere because she decided that it didn't work for her.  I also let her rummage through my pile of sailboat hardware for anything she might find useful.  My wife and I freely gave her these things and refused any offer of compensation. Well... I asked her for one thing-  to play her ukulele, which she did, and was enjoyable listening.  After a few days, she went quietly on her way.  We haven't sent her any money or assistance since then.

My wife and I were generous and didn't judge her by her appearance or lack of funds or her choice to embrace a lifestyle different than the typical US rat-race. She seemed relatively normal and kind, she just seemed to be out there looking for her inner self, which is just fine by me. I told my wife that I respected her decision to forgo the comforts of modern life in exchange for a higher level of freedom.  I offered advice to Emily on various topics such as repairs her boat needed and the best way to make her way down the Chesapeake but I stressed that she's the captain and I wasn't trying to impose anything upon her as (apparently) male sailors have tried to in some of her past encounters.

She has a Paypal link on her blog but my impression is that she doesn't aggressively panhandle... at least, she didn't used to. She doesn't have a Youtube channel and doesn't bombard people with pleas for money or goods at every opportunity.

During her travels she told me that she has encountered some rather creepy, older male sailors which has probably colored her perceptions but she also had very positive encounters with my wife and I and some other Chesapeake Anarchists whom I will not name at this time. 

Apparently, she's discovered her inner SJW.  Sailing Anarchy is a community. I'm not willing to condemn the entire community because one person, the owner, made a juvenile post of some woman's clothed crotch while she was caught during an ungraceful moment of recovery. This place is far more than the "Front Page" despite the fact that the forum is owned by one person.  I don't follow her blog regularly and I don't agree with her recent screed but she's entitled to her opinion I guess.  The post seems somewhat out of character for her and I'm not very impressed.  Frankly, she should take heart in the fact that so many male forum members have voiced their objection to the photo instead of focusing on the one person who made the error.

To be honest, after reading this recent rant, I'm glad my wife was present nearly all of the time and I'll think twice about being so open and generous with total strangers in the future.

must have made quite an impression, "fairy godfather of the chesapeake" ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaGul said:

..am I losing - didnt know I was in a competition.  But I wonder why a "super anarchist! with 15.000 post feel the need to attack a young sailor girl that defends other young sailing girls? And Trump  - who do you think he would support;  you or me? 

Hate to break it to you - but whether she's a girl or not really doesn't mean anything.  Unless you're trying to play the pity card or trying to stir up SJW's.

1.  People in her position shouldn't be bad-mouthing free gifts and support.

2.  The sock puppets coming to her defense aren't helping her any - but that probably isn't under her control.  If she doesn't have enough money for groceries then she should be rethinking certain things about her life.  Even if "SHE HAS A DEGREE IN JOURNALISM".  Of course who knows how much truth those socks are spewing - this is the internet after all.  Those two cute sock puppet posts read like carbon copies of each other.   Did I mention "DEGREE IN JOURNALISM"?

All that aside, I'll take what Ajax said before anything else.  Sounds like she's just another kid trying to figure it out rather than someone out to screw folks and panhandle.  And since he didn't mention her "DEGREE IN JOURNALISM" I doubt she acts like our sock puppets (or vegans) and points it out.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Editor said:

she seemed wacky and her recent attacks on me personally - right before she blocked me (of course) - were nasty. i know there are two ways to look at that pic. you know me, i'm not offended by anything i read or see (unless it is the traitorous dotard), but i certainly can see the other side.

all good here. carry on!

Oh - and bullshit.  Just bullshit about being offended.  You've banned people here because you didn't like what they were saying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeaGul said:

The use of the SA-forum has dropped a lot the last months - from what I can see, Ed can maybe confirm that - can be many reasons (it happends to many different forums) - but this type of post and treads can be one reason...

these scotw post are for keeping the number of posts up...    that's all they're there for..   

and all the posters beating down on this girl.. you're just proving her point..   cool she got a free boat  that she's using..  one less sitting on abandoned on the waterway banks..  lighten up people..   i guess y'all had hatred for the hippies back then too..  instead of a vw , she's got a boat good fpor her..  she's probably more down to earth then some coked up daddy's girl..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeaGul said:

It's also summer in the northern hemisphere - people are actually out sailing instead of hanging out on the forums.

I don't think Ms Emily knows the definition of Anarchist...Especially a SA kind...

Oh well, we all know how this goes.

Some will say "Show us your tits!"

Some will say " Rule 69 violation!"

and the rest of us could give a shit less. Next...

29 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Hate to break it to you - but whether she's a girl or not really doesn't mean anything.  Unless you're trying to play the pity card or trying to stir up SJW's.

1.  People in her position shouldn't be bad-mouthing free gifts and support.

2.  The sock puppets coming to her defense aren't helping her any - but that probably isn't under her control.  If she doesn't have enough money for groceries then she should be rethinking certain things about her life.  Even if "SHE HAS A DEGREE IN JOURNALISM".  Of course who knows how much truth those socks are spewing - this is the internet after all.  Those two cute sock puppet posts read like carbon copies of each other.   Did I mention "DEGREE IN JOURNALISM"?

All that aside, I'll take what Ajax said before anything else.  Sounds like she's just another kid trying to figure it out rather than someone out to screw folks and panhandle.  And since he didn't mention her "DEGREE IN JOURNALISM" I doubt she acts like our sock puppets (or vegans) and points it out.

I don't recall her ever mentioning a degree but she did tell me that she does "free lance journalism" which is modern-speak for "writes articles for people/publications and submits them via email."  This is one of many ways that itinerant cruisers generate income. Seems legit to me.  I have no idea what volume of work (income) she was able to attract.

Not that it matters much but she's no kid, she's in her early 30's. She has life experience so I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about her supposed vulnerability and naivete.  I wouldn't lump her in with Jen Appell. She's neither angel nor devil.   LOL...this is probably the most exposure her blog has ever had.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BonitaD said:

She refuses to buy into the American Dream that fucked over my generation

Welp, that tells me just about everything I need to know.

You mean that same Dream that has provided you with all the luxuries you currently enjoy? The same dream that allowed Ajax to give so graciously? All the boats, assistance, donations and dockage that someone else's American Dream provided them in the first place? The charitable heart of everyone along the way?

Christ, that pisses me off. You don't have to do the typical 9-5 American Dream, but you damn well better recognize that its that American Dream you criticize that is helping you live yours. You would do well to remember that.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Fighting through the spam doesn’t help either. 

11 minutes ago, Editor said:

little late on that, douchebag. my article is actually original and why point to that cunt's cut and paste horseshit?

Because that’s what you get when you become inconsequential....

1 hour ago, Editor said:

little late on that, douchebag. my article is actually original and why point to that cunt's cut and paste horseshit?

Might be that I didn't see your article, as I (like most) never look at the front page except out of curiosity when someone whines about it. Carry on, bag-o-dicks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutofOffice said:

Christ, that pisses me off. You don't have to do the typical 9-5 American Dream, but you damn well better recognize that its that American Dream you criticize that is helping you live yours. You would do well to remember that.

The Dream you treasure so much, has fucked over the planet and is only available to very few.

But please go on and enjoy and feel grateful ... while others die quietly.

I'm just here for the insults. 

Please keep them flowing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, random said:

The Dream you treasure so much, has fucked over the planet and is only available to very few.

Feel free to leave it all behind, Random...

Please, preach your message of poverty and the evils of society...On a sailing forum, which is arguably the most expensive hobby there is. Where we discuss the merits of legitimate multi million dollar yachts. Where many members own boats worth more than some peoples houses. Get the fuck off your pedestal before you fall off.

Turns out this forum, the one you troll, is someone’s American Dream. Check out buddy. I wouldn’t want you to become corrupted.

“Edited” cause I wasn’t fucking done.

17 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

27-Funny-Man-Laughing-Gif.gif

4 hours ago, Editor said:

Yep. Pretty clear that Trump is the only thing that gets you going........ ROFLOL. 

11 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I did not know that we were requiring letters of recommendation to join this whatever it is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReachorDie said:

I'm just here for the insults. 

Please keep them flowing.

I thought you were here for the bOObs

Yl7sXYW.jpg

7 hours ago, OutofOffice said:

Feel free to leave it all behind, Random...

Please, preach your message of poverty and the evils of society...On a sailing forum, which is arguably the most expensive hobby there is. Where we discuss the merits of legitimate multi million dollar yachts. Where many members own boats worth more than some peoples houses. Get the fuck off your pedestal before you fall off.

Turns out this forum, the one you troll, is someone’s American Dream. Check out buddy. I wouldn’t want you to become corrupted.

https://content.wisestep.com/expensive-hobbies-world/

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I did not know that we were requiring letters of recommendation to join this whatever it is.

sad when someone existence is a web site of a hobby they no nothing about. 

From the link above.  I like the spelling ... how could you possibly publish that?

9. Yatch Racing:

So do you want to take over the water world? Well, this can be the feeling after winning a yatch race. Yatch is an expensive affair and when you have one then definitely have a pocket of gold.

A yatch can be bought from $ 2 million to $800 million depending on the luxuries it has. When you want to have a yatch race which is quite in rage as a hobby among the loaded people additional cost of $8 to $10 million has to be incurred to make it race ready. While the maintenance of yatch for the purpose costs $100,000 every month.

Now just calculate the cost in light of the fact that Yatch do crash while racing. This hobby is not for the faint hearted people who are rich but cannot sink their money like that.

8 hours ago, OutofOffice said:

Where many members own boats worth more than some peoples houses

Funni dat.

I was in a board meeting where the subject of the Managing Director's car came up.  Most complained that the Honda Jazz he drove to work was not the image required.  One person who drove a large Geman SUV said that "One of my fucking wheels is worth more than your whole piece of shit!"

I think I was the only one there who thought the MD was the smart one.

Expensive boats are not always something to be admired.  Most aren't used.

1 hour ago, random said:

Funni dat.

I was in a board meeting where the subject of the Managing Director's car came up. 

Hey, I didn't know you played in The Office 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VWAP said:

Yl7sXYW.jpg

who our you?  And what didde you do withe realle VWAMP?                  :)

4 hours ago, VWAP said:

Yl7sXYW.jpg

I went out with a girl like that once.  Didn't like em.  I have never understood the American fascination for oversized tits.

2 hours ago, random said:

I went out with a girl like that once.  Didn't like em.  I have never understood the American fascination for oversized tits.

Sounds about right for you.

That’s ok, I’ll take my American Dream, my boats and my GFs oversized tits and bid you adieu.

19 hours ago, OutofOffice said:
23 hours ago, BonitaD said:

She refuses to buy into the American Dream that fucked over my generation

Welp, that tells me just about everything I need to know.

You mean that same Dream that has provided you with all the luxuries you currently enjoy? The same dream that allowed Ajax to give so graciously? All the boats, assistance, donations and dockage that someone else's American Dream provided them in the first place? The charitable heart of everyone along the way?

6 hours ago, random said:

Funni dat.

I was in a board meeting where the subject of the Managing Director's car came up.  Most complained that the Honda Jazz he drove to work was not the image required.  One person who drove a large Geman SUV said that "One of my fucking wheels is worth more than your whole piece of shit!"

I think I was the only one there who thought the MD was the smart one.

Expensive boats are not always something to be admired.  Most aren't used.

My wife drove a Honda Civic hybrid to work at her medical office every day from 2002 until we left cruising in 2012. Her partners were driving Mercedes, large SUVs, etc. We had a "car stipend" allocate to cover the expenses of the partner's cars...it was ridiculous for her little car that she drove from home to the office and hospital, which was about five miles round trip.

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

And yet he never left America and made a healthy 10 million bucks telling you how evil the system is...It’s stand-up man and he was brilliant it at it. Jealous? Better hit up an “Open-Mic” night and get started.

Maybe next you’d like to quote Zach de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine or perhaps Richard Simmons on the Occupy Wallstreet movement...

It’s ridiculous, decrying a system that you stand on, only after benefiting from it of course...

This isn’t PA so I’ll leave the discussion here.

21 hours ago, random said:

Will do. Carry on.

13 hours ago, VWAP said:

Yl7sXYW.jpg

But aren't we all? 

I just showed the SCOTW pic to my wife.  She had no problem with it and added hey if she is out sailing wearing that and looks that good then who gives a shit.

As long as she is ok with it being posted.  She looks hot so WTF.  This site  is better as a rule less ANARCHIST place to go.

17 hours ago, random said:

Sure you did!!!!

18 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

who our you?  And what didde you do withe realle VWAMP?                  :)

Sorry I had been smookinn weed all  night Won't happen again.

Per your request I will get you a pic that suits your style.

43 minutes ago, VWAP said:
18 hours ago, random said:

Sure you did!!!!

Yup, she had the stretch marks to prove how fast they grew.  Don't like em that big.  You can dream on though.

8 minutes ago, random said:

Yup, she had the stretch marks to prove how fast they grew.  Don't like em that big.  You can dream on though.

Yea sure thing!!!!!

11 minutes ago, random said:

http://www.reprosoc.com/blog/2016/12/2/its-artificial-naturally-shielding-the-breast-in-an-era-of-climate-change

It’s artificial, naturally! Shielding the breast in an era of climate change