Changing the size and making ama bows look sporty by inverting them ever more is fake innovation. They need some radical changes to lighten the boats. 

5000kg is about the weight of a Farr 40.  Does seem heavy for a trimaran.

I'm guessing the stern folds down to make a swim platform.  It does look weird but that's great feature

Dragonfly makes dual use boats.  They are not stripped out raceboats, like a Farr 40.  Interior is Scandinavian minimalist, not Carroll Marine gelcoated acres.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.   But there's no gutting the interior and keeping the dual use capability.  Plenty of masochistically stripped out multi's out there for the guys who want that.

Plus the boats are really nicely built, often by alums from X Yacht's early days.  Its not a disposable throwaway raceboat.

More interesting question for me is whether the hull and amas are state of the art, everything known now, conventional (read: just short of foiling) design and not just a stretch of the pre-2018 designs.

True, it will be nice to see some innovation.  However, if you've got something that works well there's no point breaking it with the latest bleeding edge. 

Hey Crouton, is that a dragonfly in your profile pic?  DF28 on a trailer is very appealing.  

They are pretty nicely made, like “yachts”. But weight = death in multis. I could identify at least half a ton of gratuitous weight in my df35. Can replace 90% of stainless steel stuff (incl the diesel tank, waterstays, etc) with hi tech synthetic stuff. Thick glass fiber everywhere, even in no-load areas.

Quorning should offer a “light” version, with hi-tec cloth/synth interior instead of wood, CF beams, etc. I bet more of those will sell. I’d buy one.

after spending a grueling 50 hrs on the 32 this past weekend, I'll look forward to sailing the40...

dragonfly1.jpg.ef39e94895503d03e1bfe0f4cf5e6214.jpg

7 hours ago, EarthBM said:

They are pretty nicely made, like “yachts”. But weight = death in multis. I could identify at least half a ton of gratuitous weight in my df35. Can replace 90% of stainless steel stuff (incl the diesel tank, waterstays, etc) with hi tech synthetic stuff. Thick glass fiber everywhere, even in no-load areas.

Quorning should offer a “light” version, with hi-tec cloth/synth interior instead of wood, CF beams, etc. I bet more of those will sell. I’d buy one.

I think DF knows what their doing - they want relatively safe boat to sell to not so experienced sailors - many from monos. Jens himself has a featherlight racing boat so he knows how to do that - but also that it takes an expert to sail it and that the market is little. 

23 hours ago, EarthBM said:

14 hours ago, SeaGul said:

I think DF knows what their doing - they want relatively safe boat to sell to not so experienced sailors - many from monos. Jens himself has a featherlight racing boat so he knows how to do that - but also that it takes an expert to sail it and that the market is little. 

The 40' is probably $1mm ready to go.  I don't think they need a very big market.  

21 hours ago, SeaGul said:

He does. I believe it's called Dragonfire. You`ll need those foiling thingies to sail away from this one. 

dragonfiret.jpg

18 hours ago, eastern motors said:

The 40' is probably $1mm ready to go.  I don't think they need a very big market.  

Hull # 2 should be at the Naptown boat show in April

On 9/7/2018 at 12:12 AM, Kalimotxo said:

He does. I believe it's called Dragonfire. You`ll need those foiling thingies to sail away from this one. 

dragonfiret.jpg

Other than looking like the ama's have about 120% buoyancy (maybe, but marginal, in flat water, at best), this looks like a pretty cool boat.  Did he have DF build it for him I wonder???

The Dragonflys typically hasnt 2-300% amas - and the reason is safety - when pressed the ama will go down and you really feel close to the limit - but without immidiate danger to capsize. Then you will understand that its time to reduce sail - and that is totally a safer way to sail. DF is touringboats and have many sailors that come from mono and want to have safety at first. 

Many of the capsizes with DFs that I have heard of is really top sailor that press the boats beyond this basic consept thinking. 

Jens are maybe using this boat to test those ideas. 

On 9/9/2018 at 5:14 AM, Veeger said:

Other than looking like the ama's have about 120% buoyancy (maybe, but marginal, in flat water, at best), this looks like a pretty cool boat.  Did he have DF build it for him I wonder???

Dragonfire is an old design, original build by Gert Frederiksen (founder of Frederiksen boat fittings, now owned by Ronstan, and C Class sailer). Dragonfire was originaly named Orbit and was Gerts attempt to make a Formula 28, but not as radical as the rule allowed. Jens has extended the arms and put on a larger rig. To my knowledge the most recent update has bien adding lifting foils from a M 32. Dragonfire is 100% carbon, 28 foot and weighs  about 670kg.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 6:34 AM, Easy-Sailing.dk said:

Dragonfire is an old design, original build by Gert Frederiksen (founder of Frederiksen boat fittings, now owned by Ronstan, and C Class sailer). Dragonfire was originaly named Orbit and was Gerts attempt to make a Formula 28, but not as radical as the rule allowed. Jens has extended the arms and put on a larger rig. To my knowledge the most recent update has bien adding lifting foils from a M 32. Dragonfire is 100% carbon, 28 foot and weighs  about 670kg.

Are those trapeze wires?

3 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Are those trapeze wires?

It looks like it

That thing looks good but for inshore flat water only

8 hours ago, PIL66 said:

It looks like it

That thing looks good but for inshore flat water only

Makes good sense to have  boat for inshore racing, when you live inshore:- )

Skærbæk, home of dragonfly

image.thumb.png.b30caa2de6e840ecb8d0953efa9f04da.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, deano said:

ha ha middlefart^^^ :)

I'm sure its a nice town.

It is actually pretty boring......................and a little smelly

10 hours ago, Christian said:

It is actually pretty boring......................and a little smelly

It's even worse in Nederstefart. 

Hull #2 will likely be the first US boat. June or July I expect. Cost much less than $1M. Tall rig. Lightweight interior. Hull minimal gelcoat with paint.  And a lot of soft shackles. No sprit- kites are off the nose piece. Transom bit will be removable- definitely not drop down. Parts of the design are still under consideration and the factory is listening. Hull 1 is the test boat and will likely remain in Denmark. But as stated earlier- the boat will be both safe and fast.

Stay tuned.

image.png.1fd9ed2bf10c810f650be151d8829116.png

• Like 1

If you ask at the factory for best restaurants in the area- they send you to Middlefart. They are right.

11 hours ago, rattus32 said:

That's Lower Fart. The worst of the Farts. ;-)

I understand Danish (afterall I mostly lived there for the first 30 years of my life) but I think you must be thinking further south (like Germany) and then the name would be Niederfart

On 9/16/2018 at 1:47 PM, Infidel said:

Hull #2 will likely be the first US boat. June or July I expect. Cost much less than $1M. Tall rig. Lightweight interior. Hull minimal gelcoat with paint.  And a lot of soft shackles. No sprit- kites are off the nose piece. Transom bit will be removable- definitely not drop down. Parts of the design are still under consideration and the factory is listening. Hull 1 is the test boat and will likely remain in Denmark. But as stated earlier- the boat will be both safe and fast.

Stay tuned

CF beams, plastic fuel tank (or some Oceanvolt system), synthetic stays, LiPo batteries...

+ CF mast (already was) and boom (instead of alu). Dyneema waterstays (with smart splice or lashings to adjust for creep, or just a simple turnbuckle).

And whatever else gets it under 3.5 tons

22 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Cutting 1/3 of the weight won't be cheap if it's possible at all.

How much is "Cost much less than $1M. "?

Enough that I can afford it if currency rates don't change much.

• Like 1