fprintf

Sailx status?

Anyone know if SailX is done for good? I was just singing its praises at a nationals event and now I go to log in and it redirects to some other site. Kind of a shame, though to be honest I hadn't been using it for quite some time. It was a good tool for learning the rules. 

6 hours ago, fprintf said:

Anyone know if SailX is done for good? I was just singing its praises at a nationals event and now I go to log in and it redirects to some other site. Kind of a shame, though to be honest I hadn't been using it for quite some time. It was a good tool for learning the rules. 

from their Facebook Page:

Hi sailxers. We are sorry we've been out for a while due vacations and some work.
The site suffered a hack attack and we were forced to suspend activity in order to make sure we were safe.
Currently we are studing a way to fix the site security problem along with the issues about the simulator we all know and as you may know that's not cheap...
We know you love Sailx as much as we do and we're trying our best to find a possible solution.
Thanks a lot for your pacience.

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast a goode notisse, Scot shoude savette forre nextte time.                     :)

Can I have some of what you were smokin when you posted pls... :D

15 minutes ago, SteveC said:

Can I have some of what you were smokin when you posted pls... :D

I am given to understand that Snags hasn't smoked\downed\shot\snorted anything in decades. He just lives in a state of permanent flash back. However, I would not trust my source on this. You never know with a cat of Snag's character...

It was a great racing/training tool.  Great way for sailors to learn rules.

Hope it comes back.

Their domain name expired on July 23 and I suspect someone else snagged it as it was "updated" on July 24.  Some facebook folks claim that the Ltd that operated it dissolved in Feb 2017.   Looks dead to me.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, ryley said:

from their Facebook Page:

I can't log into their moderator and judge forums and my emails didn't get a response.  I used to be a mod and judge, but I stopped when they changed over to 3D a couple years ago.  It was a huge time investment and it was just a few bad actors that took up 99% of the judging and protest process and swamped the volunteers.  Just too much work for free.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, teamt said:

Their domain name expired on July 23 and I suspect someone else snagged it as it was "updated" on July 24.  Some facebook folks claim that the Ltd that operated it dissolved in Feb 2017.   Looks dead to me.

We'll see.  Last I was involved a large amount of the coding work was being done by college students as part of their education.  It wasn't "really" a commercial venture at that time.

Amando and his brother closed the site for repairs.  There has not been much news since.

Its worrying that they have not kept a page marker on the web address band protected the domain.  JCD and Turbo have been exchanging emails and I think that JCD emailed Amando but I am assuming there is still no news.

Amando has work and business that actually pays the bills and since he has been subsidizing SailX since day one, one assumes that time and resource spent on sailX have to take second priority to work. 

On 8/23/2018 at 7:53 AM, Mambo Kings said:

Amando and his brother closed the site for repairs.  There has not been much news since.

Its worrying that they have not kept a page marker on the web address band protected the domain.  JCD and Turbo have been exchanging emails and I think that JCD emailed Amando but I am assuming there is still no news.

Amando has work and business that actually pays the bills and since he has been subsidizing SailX since day one, one assumes that time and resource spent on sailX have to take second priority to work. 

any update? gone for good? was such a great community it's hard to believe it disappeared so quietly 

6 hours ago, some dude said:

any update? gone for good? was such a great community it's hard to believe it disappeared so quietly 

While it was fun, I think the writing was on the wall back when they started to take it 3D.  It stopped being simple and easy to learn (trim, ease, three buttons for heading) and started become quite complicated.  The top down view was a simple one - the 3D view and constant camera panning to try to get the right angles to see could be a real pain.

I felt like it went from a game that you could learn the sailing rules to a far more "video game" game.

Also, the load on the moderation and judges was enormous.  Too many assholes, from those that intentionally ruined entire races to those who wanted to constantly nitpik the tiniest rule nuance and made simple protests take forever.  We were never, and I mean never, caught up on the protests.

It would be cool if someone could bring back the 2D version. It was as far back as late '06 or early '07 that I was introduced to Tacticat, the precursor to SailX. 

At its best SailX was great fun and reinforced good tactical habits. 

+ karma for Amando Estela. 

It was good training for tactical skills .

But the protest room was also good training in the rules.

7 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

No doubt.  I learned things that I still use to this day.  For instance:  anticipation doesn't exist in the rules.  You don't have start keeping clear until the other guy's tack is completed.  Or until overlap is established.  That solved a TON of protests early on that the automatic rules system just couldn't.  I.e., how LONG does the right of way boat need to have right of way.

1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

No doubt.  I learned things that I still use to this day.  For instance:  anticipation doesn't exist in the rules.  You don't have start keeping clear until the other guy's tack is completed.  Or until overlap is established.  That solved a TON of protests early on that the automatic rules system just couldn't.  I.e., how LONG does the right of way boat need to have right of way.

Except when approaching the mark zone. You have to be providing mark room the moment that rule 18 is turned on, so you hav eto anticipate.

But yes rule 10 and 11 do not require anticipation and the boat gaining ROW is subject to 15.

There were some great protests and the reference cases had some great examples of difficult situations that occur so rarely in real life. In sailx, the playing field was level because nobody had a boat speed advantage and the courses were short so we saw many more rule situations than we do in real life.  We also became much more acutely aware of small tactical advantages .  It honed the skills of some very good sailors (Eg Steve Hunt) and improved the skills of a lot of amateur club level sailors.

It will be sadly missed.

10 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Agree.  I never messed with 3D.  As a tactics simulator, 2D was great and I did learn a lot in the room.  Assholes got banned pretty quickly, but I do realize (and appreciate) the work all the mods and admins did to keep it running so well  

On 11/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, chuso007 said:

So, is it really gone?

Seriously.....Bueller.....?

please come back SailX!

Really liked the plain 2d version.  When imps got on their and plainly tried to get on sailors nerve,  the die hards like Sailorski, flow, mamboking...so many to mention always defended well and gave them a chance but then kept their cool.  Certain sailors had a hard time playing by the rules but that is no surprise.

3 hours ago, proOC said:

Really liked the plain 2d version.  When imps got on their and plainly tried to get on sailors nerve,  the die hards like Sailorski, flow, mamboking...so many to mention always defended well and gave them a chance but then kept their cool.  Certain sailors had a hard time playing by the rules but that is no surprise.

word

Still gone.  I keep checking it like an empty 'fridge expecting something different each time. I wonder if some sailing oriented vendor (North, Harken, etc.) could/would be interested in funding it enough to keep it going?

18 hours ago, Lowflash said:

Still gone.  I keep checking it like an empty 'fridge expecting something different each time. I wonder if some sailing oriented vendor (North, Harken, etc.) could/would be interested in funding it enough to keep it going?

You are not alone, brother. 

This was the best one out there. Like others have said, it was great for tactics. Really sucks it's gone.

I got invited from a FB page from another user to try to petition the for it to get back online.

Anyone else?

29 minutes ago, proOC said:

I got invited from a FB page from another user to try to petition the for it to get back online.

Anyone else?

No but it would have to be a petition of €€€€ rather than signatures, methinks.   Which reminds me-I had just renewed when it disappeared.  I don't begrudge aestela or whomever for the money (I way underpaid for all the hours of fun) I just wish it would come back

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, proOC said:

Anyone else?

Share said page, please. 

It seems some of the other highly ranked players where also invited to petition.

Likes of Dogwatch, somedude, sailski....etc...

I cannot see how a petition would help resurrect SailX. what would be needed is a sponsor or for someone to offer to buy SailX.

Amando did amazing work with the site, but my guess is he has more important things to do with his life right now.

Maybe it was more like a petition for a drive to get it hot again and online.

I couldn't think of anything better then getting her back up and playing.  It was an invaluable tool for some of us...and I met quite a few friends and fellow sailors on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, proOC said:

Maybe it was more like a petition for a drive to get it hot again and online.

I couldn't think of anything better then getting her back up and playing.  It was an invaluable tool for some of us...and I met quite a few friends and fellow sailors on it.

1 hour ago, JohnMB said:

I cannot see how a petition would help resurrect SailX. what would be needed is a sponsor or for someone to offer to buy SailX.

Amando did amazing work with the site, but my guess is he has more important things to do with his life right now.

I was thinking it was a GoFundMe or something similar. At one point they were talking about the financial feasibility of rebooting. I was there from the start and I fear that the virtual sailing world will never be the same. They had that shit dialed in! 

17 minutes ago, pudge said:

I was thinking it was a GoFundMe or something similar. At one point they were talking about the financial feasibility of rebooting. I was there from the start and I fear that the virtual sailing world will never be the same. They had that shit dialed in! 

I was also in very early, I don't know when the true 'start' was but when I came in there were only cats and the rules were 100% automatic. It frequently took a while to get enough boats together for a race. 

30 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

I was also in very early, I don't know when the true 'start' was but when I came in there were only cats and the rules were 100% automatic. It frequently took a while to get enough boats together for a race. 

*Tacticat

30 minutes ago, pudge said:

*Tacticat

right I'd forgotten that it had changed name. so yes I was in from the start on sailx and had played tacticat for a while before that.

Yep.  During the tacticat days they actually had bots sailing alongside you to get enough boats for races.  Later on that wasn't a problem so they dumped them.  For a long time we were pushing for a standalone application to single play against bots, but they never created it.

4 hours ago, JohnMB said:

right I'd forgotten that it had changed name. so yes I was in from the start on sailx and had played tacticat for a while before that.

Ahhhh remember when we called it Tacticrack because it was so addictive?

By the end there was a lot of code in there. We had foiling modes, a pretty robust rule engine, and even the protest room must have taken a lot of coding.

Some of the humor that went on in the background to keep the moderators sane.

Suiting up in preparation for a protest involving Rainbow Warrior!

99957228_VMKsModeratingsuit.thumb.jpg.936e8a5c168fcdcdcf328636de4cde2e.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Some of the humor that went on in the background to keep the moderators sane.

Suiting up in preparation for a protest involving Rainbow Warrior!

99957228_VMKsModeratingsuit.thumb.jpg.936e8a5c168fcdcdcf328636de4cde2e.jpg

LOL I had battles with RW for a while but we ended up friends-I believe his heart was in the right place.  Protests were useful to learn/spark a rules discussion, and/or to smack a dickhead.  

8 hours ago, proOC said:

It seems some of the other highly ranked players where also invited to petition.

Likes of Dogwatch, somedude, sailski....etc...

Didn't get one but I'd be receptive

I was with Tacticat and SailX as CANI20, and my brother was CANNACRA.  Had great times until the gamers came out.

I was JohnB all the way. had a good run, but when it was done it was done.

I still have a mixture of pride and horror about the protest room. Amando was initially very skeptical about it, I'm trying to remember who the original moderator group was. I know DW was in there early, i cant remember when VMK joined the mods.

I also miss the original 'standard' quotes.

"my tailor is rich" .

"I am the mambo king"

RW was a friend of mine.  Met him on sailx and he was reasonable when it came to protests.  The fact that everything was reviewable was a plus...and a minus.

Many learned their lesson quickly and then some...not so quickly,...like that fucker that always crashed on port and never understood a R18.3.  And, thought they were owed mark room.  That one killed me everytime.  Anticipation is not written in any rule either which some never could catch on to.  

2 hours ago, proOC said:

RW was a friend of mine.  Met him on sailx and he was reasonable when it came to protests.  The fact that everything was reviewable was a plus...and a minus.

Many learned their lesson quickly and then some...not so quickly,...like that fucker that always crashed on port and never understood a R18.3.  And, thought they were owed mark room.  That one killed me everytime.  Anticipation is not written in any rule either which some never could catch on to.  

Same

Just like real life-some boats you can trust to do the smart thing, some boats to do the dumb thing, and some are wild cards.  Adjust your tactics accordingly-it's part of the game.

I was also there when Tacticat started (I don't remember my nickname) On SailX I was "Xandas", I fucked up many races to many people (sorry again guys) due to my inability to control some of the boats, especiallythe fast ones. But I did win a few races.

I also had a life-subscription.

I wish it comes back some day

I'd love it back - I was theParadoxOfThrift and I had a rule that if my ranking was getting too good I was spending too much time on Sailx!

20 minutes ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

I'd love it back - I was theParadoxOfThrift and I had a rule that if my ranking was getting too good I was spending too much time on Sailx!

Good rule.  Definitely an inverse correlation with career success 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:30 AM, theParadoxOfThrift said:

I was spending too much time on Sailx!

No such thing.