Slainte97

J97 Tuning Hints

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2018 at 12:14 AM, Slainte97 said:

Just started racing a J97, looking for any tuning or performance hints or ideas. 

We are in the same situation and also looking for tips. Downwind seems to be the easy part, upwind is a bit twitchy and the groove area is narrow. That said, basic text book trimming seems to be mostly ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, do you have pica or instructions for a good jib inhauler arrangement for the 97? Ours is not good as it pulls the jib sheet forward towards the mast foot. Would be nice with some J/97 specific ideas before I start drilling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd reach out to Paul Heys, owner of Key Yachting in the UK.  There's a lot more J/97 racing going on over there, and he is one of the main European J/Dealers.  I suspect they have a ton of info/contacts that can help you...

 

https://www.keyyachting.com/contact-us/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you loaded the polars yet in your system? that should at least give you an idea on the target angles and speed.  I agree to call Paul Heys after this, for more tips&tricks on how to make the boat go fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of big batteries in front of the mast step to trim the bow down

Race with 7 minimum, sheet the main hard and hike like hell.

Fly the A sail tack high downwind and heel the whole lot to weather, 170twa is your target angle

Practice sailing wing and wing downwind

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JL92S said:

Couple of big batteries in front of the mast step to trim the bow down

Race with 7 minimum, sheet the main hard and hike like hell.

Fly the A sail tack high downwind and heel the whole lot to weather, 170twa is your target angle

Practice sailing wing and wing downwind

 

Interesting with the batteries, is this actually something practiced on J/97s? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 5:23 PM, JL92S said:

It has been known to make them faster, they don’t even need wiring in

Supposedly making the waterline longer then for upwind and reaching? The J/97 bow indeed floats quite high:

 

j97-evolution-2.jpg

 

1_4.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 7:19 AM, Nubben said:

Interesting with the batteries, is this actually something practiced on J/97s? 

 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, JL92S said:

It has been known to make them faster, they don’t even need wiring in

Does anyone know if you are adding two more batteries infront of the mast or is it best to move the existing batteries infront of the mast. Mine are a little behind the mast now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the optimal shorthanded setup for a J97. To start with, I hate changing headsails. 

Currently we have a reefable full size jib, specified to cope with 30kts of wind if necessary. Very nice sail.

In addition we have some older North M/H jib and a true heavy jib, with 1,5m short luff.

Downwind we have North A2 and masthead kite which is about 85% of the A2. Uncertain what the correct classification is of this one.

Currently I am considering what to add for the optimal shorthanded setup for distance sailing in the Baltic sea, e.g. mostly light winds. And again, I hate changing sails so I prefer sails which have wider usage possibilities.  

Options:

1. J0 from sprit on a furler with an additional clew patch. Could go upwind and reach, but is not optimal for twa 70-100 especially if designed for going upwind?

2. C0 from sprit on a furler. Not for upwind but better in really light and is better on open reaches?

Other ideas?

What would you prefer and why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can get enough tension on the sprit for a code 0 to effective in higher angles. consider flying it from the bow instead

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If sailing in the light airs why the small A2? The J0 idea looks good although like jmod said sprit tension might be an issue, consider an over specced bobstay and overspec all the bits of rope related to the J0! Other options include fitting a small fixed bowsprit just for the J0 or to use a collar round the bowsprit similar to that used by @Blur, hopefully he can chime in on his setup.

I’m guessing your jib’s reef is a slab reef and the jib is on hanks? If so that’s a decent headsail setup.

I always felt the mainsail on the J97 was slightly small so would consider a larger main for light airs. If the backstay is a big issue then a longer boom would be my next step.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, JMOD said:

I don't think you can get enough tension on the sprit for a code 0 to effective in higher angles. consider flying it from the bow instead

 

Perhaps, you don´t think fitting a bobstay would enable enough halyard tension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, JL92S said:

If sailing in the light airs why the small A2? The J0 idea looks good although like jmod said sprit tension might be an issue, consider an over specced bobstay and overspec all the bits of rope related to the J0! Other options include fitting a small fixed bowsprit just for the J0 or to use a collar round the bowsprit similar to that used by @Blur, hopefully he can chime in on his setup.

I’m guessing your jib’s reef is a slab reef and the jib is on hanks? If so that’s a decent headsail setup.

I always felt the mainsail on the J97 was slightly small so would consider a larger main for light airs. If the backstay is a big issue then a longer boom would be my next step.

 

Sorry, was unprecise, we have a 90m2 A2 and 77m2 A3/A4 or similar. So the A2 is not so small, although I have seen J97s with 105m2 kites. 

Had looked at a second fixed bowsprit, but feels like overkill. On the other hand it could perhaps be used to land on islands which is quite popular around here when cruising and solve the problem with the vertical bow. I have looked into Blurs setup yes... 

Slab reef yes, hanks no because we have a facnor flatdeck furler. So the sail has sailtech horizontal furlable composite battens. Would prefer hanks(and perhaps a structural furler) but that is not in the plans at the moment. 

We have a new main which is 2m2 larger than the standard one to cope with the light airs around here, did not want to do a fathead though not to change the balance of the boat or cause a need for double backstays.

If the upwind light weather performance is ok then I might just opt for the code(cableless perhaps) for a bit more open angles making it a versatile sail. Still need the bobstay though but then the normal sprit is probably fine. Still a question though in that case if it should be hoisted at the end of the sprit or middleish as Blur for example. Need to discuss sail size and design with my sailmaker here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were by boat I would use the collar idea round the bowsprit and run the tackline as a 2:1, but I would have the code 0 flying off the end. The 97 has a proportionally shorter bowsprit than a 111 or 88 so I feel the whole bowsprit would be better. It should also improve helm balance having the sail pushed further forwards and also it ensures the tack is on the centreline. Cable less works well and should carry lighter loads than a cabled code 0 which should be kinder on the bowsprit and bow structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice (last Summer). 

Anyone with picks from the foot upwards of J/97 jibs? Would be interesting to see the shape especially of a North J1.

 

Ordered a C0/J0 crossover(47m2 mid girth ~63%) for light wind beating and reaching in all other conditions. Will fly it off the end of the sprit and furl on a Facnor FX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nubben said:

Thanks for the advice (last Summer). 

Anyone with picks from the foot upwards of J/97 jibs? Would be interesting to see the shape especially of a North J1.

 

Ordered a C0/J0 crossover(47m2 mid girth ~63%) for light wind beating and reaching in all other conditions. Will fly it off the end of the sprit and furl on a Facnor FX.

Your local North loft should have the designs on file? North did lots of design work over a few years on J97s in the UK. Your C0/J0 sounds like a fantastic sail for the boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now