Sign in to follow this  
Greyhound37

NASS race Annapolis to Oxford 9/8

Race is just over 2 weeks away and we are down 110 entrants. What's up? Hell the Navy 44's have not signed up!

Racing on the bay has suffered greatly this year. Participation is way, way down across the board.

Tough to get crew for some reason.  I've got a wedding that Sat.  oh well.

13 minutes ago, Kack said:

Tough to get crew for some reason.  I've got a wedding that Sat.  oh well.

There's been a lot of that going around.

I've had a solid month's worth of family obligations that I couldn't wriggle out of. I had invitations to crew or race my own boat on every weekend.

36 minutes ago, trimfast said:

It is quite sad as it is the best race of the Bay. I think attendance will probably go up. 

Hope you are right. The new AYC race to Solomons has signed up more boats and it is 3 weeks later. 

7 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Hope you are right. The new AYC race to Solomons has signed up more boats and it is 3 weeks later. 

I think both races need more participation.  We need to do something to change this across the board. I know a lot of the members and committees have been trying to do races that would increase participation which is one of the factors of the new Solomon's race. However, I have not seen it increasing anything as of yet.  I am also not in agreement to make Fall Series just buoy racing as I always liked the distance race in fall breeze. Personally, I would like to know where $50 a boat entry fee goes. Say 100 boats race does it really take $5,000 to have a boat set up a start line?

Thinking of taking the VX One - logistics are a PITA though as obviously no room to crash on the boat - nor any room to carry sleeping gear.  Anyone willing to lend a couple of berths?  Also - as we don't have a motor - anybody willing to give us a tow back to Naptown if needed?

Will she tow ok at 22 knots? If so I may be able to assist. I drop my powerboat at the club then bring everybody back by powerboat and leave the 88 for a sail back.

18 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Will she tow ok at 22 knots? If so I may be able to assist. I drop my powerboat at the club then bring everybody back by powerboat and leave the 88 for a sail back.

Should be just fine

3 hours ago, trimfast said:

I think both races need more participation.  We need to do something to change this across the board. I know a lot of the members and committees have been trying to do races that would increase participation which is one of the factors of the new Solomon's race. However, I have not seen it increasing anything as of yet.  I am also not in agreement to make Fall Series just buoy racing as I always liked the distance race in fall breeze. Personally, I would like to know where $50 a boat entry fee goes. Say 100 boats race does it really take $5,000 to have a boat set up a start line?

The folks at AYC are nice and this isn't meant as an attack on "rich people" but sometimes I think they are a little disconnected from the rest of us.

Speaking to the decline in general, I'm usually pretty damn good about blocking out my racing and sailing time but this year I was an utter failure.  Work exploded and ran roughshod over me, the weather has been horrible for literally months and then all this family stuff.  Funerals, weddings, long drives to visit both sets of retired parents.

I've simply given up participating in the Wednesday night series. I've made exactly one EYC Friday night race. Not to make this a tale of my personal woe, I'm getting similar stories from many friends. Here's hoping for a dry and pleasant fall so we can get some redemption.

• Like 1

We are looking at a pretty good beachcat turnout this fall, potentially 9 competitive boats for the Oxford race. Not all have registered yet...

Similar story on this front, weddings, family stuff, crappy weather all equals generally low turnout for the spring through the fall at our Tuesday night series. Its a shame but we aren't retaining new members either, 2 folks that were active last year (for less than a year total) haven't been out at all this year. I think a big factor is workload, everyone in this area is slaving 7-5 for the man or doing the same running their own business which is even more time consuming.

What's with the AYC Race to Solomons note in 7.3 that the RC will not shorten the course.  What's the point of limiting their options at this time?

2 hours ago, DFG said:

What's with the AYC Race to Solomons note in 7.3 that the RC will not shorten the course.  What's the point of limiting their options at this time?

Goal to get everyone to the end point. Like saying you wouldn't shorten the course to Bermuda, sail the conditions and see you when we see you.

• Like 1

get more boats doing ORC.  I for one of many am sick to death of the politicking phrf bullshit to the point of not wanting to race in it anymore after racing my whole life since the 60s.

PHRF A 0/1/2 had 33 boats last year

This year 9 with 4 N-44's to come=13

Less than two weeks to go

Where's the best place to launch a fixed keel Hobie 33 for this race?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Keeley

561-444-2787

4 hours ago, akeeley4834 said:

Where's the best place to launch a fixed keel Hobie 33 for this race?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Keeley

561-444-2787

Jabins

A2 looks good with 15 boats. Good mix of ratings and designs.

15 knots out of the NE. Reaching for 20 miles, close reach for 7 then upwind for 3. That is the early prediction and matches exactly last years weather.

A2 is up to 19 entries as of this morning.

Entries for the Hammond Memorial on Sunday are very low.  A0/1/2 = 3 boats this morning!  Where is everyone?  It is a good race back - almost back to Naptown.  

On 9/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, Greyhound37 said:

A2 looks good with 15 boats. Good mix of ratings and designs.

15 knots out of the NE. Reaching for 20 miles, close reach for 7 then upwind for 3. That is the early prediction and matches exactly last years weather.

The forecasts this summer have been poor. I wouldn't trust one more than 24 hours out. (But I would not use that as an excuse to put off registration.)

111 entries, 34 entries already in PHRF A0/1/2.  Strong CRCA partication too, 20 entries.  WX should be exciting, payday for sailmakers with gusts 20+.

Predict Wind: 15+ NE

SailFlow: 5 ENE clocking to 12-13 N by 13:00

NWS: NE 5-10

3 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Predict Wind: 15+ NE

SailFlow: 5 ENE clocking to 12-13 N by 13:00

NWS: NE 5-10

Not racing but the weather looks grand and the sail back on Sunday looks fun too.  Keep the pointy side up my multihull friends and for the rest of you try not to break too much stuff! 

15+ NE? Damn, missed it by 1 week.

Have fun navigating through the crabpot minefield S of Blackwalnut Pt., there were plenty last weekend.

Not doing Hammond Race. Weather looks crappy Sunday-Monday. When is everyone returning north?

We are bringing Hornet back Sunday. 15-25 from the east will be a quick ride. Now that the Narrows is deep enough for the short cut its an easy return.

Mikes GP26 hit 20.8 knots for an easy win.

Hornet spent a lot of time in the 12-16 knot range for 2nd, corrected to third.

Not looking forward to todays return trip. Rain, cool and blowing like hell.

• Like 1

Woops we did not correct to third. Finished 2nd. Nass plugged in the wrong rating for the J-109 that was 12 minutes behind us.

Todays sail was wet but a fun ride until about 1:00 or so and the wind was 17 gusting to 25. We were reaching into the Severn at 8 knots with no main and a 80%. Wet to the bone

On 9/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Ajax said:

The forecasts this summer have been poor. I wouldn't trust one more than 24 hours out. (But I would not use that as an excuse to put off registration.)

Yeah forecast of 15, saw 25 true at the start, 28kt gusts.  Shredded a kite.

Half the beach cat fleet didn't make it to the start as a serious squall came through at Thomas Point on the way up with gusts recorded to 29kts. I saw at least one other Galesville based boat turn around. It took us at least 5 tries to tack at that point with the breaking swell.

We ended up doing the race, ended up second across the line 2 minutes behind the Farr 400. Decided to trailer back instead of sailing yesterday which was the smart call given the poor visibility and pretty nasty forecast. Now time for hurricane prep....

ANZ531-102000-
Chesapeake Bay from Pooles Island to Sandy Point-
1034 AM EDT Mon Sep 10 2018

Rest of Day SE winds 10 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Waves 2 ft. A
chance of rain with areas of drizzle late this morning, then
scattered showers with isolated tstms this afternoon.

Tonight S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft. Scattered showers.

Tues NW winds 5 kt. Waves less than 1 ft. A chance of showers and
tstms.

Tues night N winds 5 kt. Waves flat.

Weds NE winds 5 kt. Waves less than 1 ft. A chance of showers and
tstms.

Wed night E winds 5 kt. Waves less than 1 ft.

Thurs E winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft. A chance of tstms. A
chance of showers.

Fri E winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves 2 ft. Tstms likely. Showers
likely. 

Winds and waves higher and visibilities lower in and near tstms.

Linky https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS51.KLWX.html

Spinsheet posted photos of the start of the race. Some good shots. Too bad they did not capture the GP-26 throwing a rooster tail wake crossing the start with six people holding on to the backstay. :-) 

On 9/13/2018 at 2:06 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Bite me - now I want one!

well my friend,  once you come over to the dark side there's no going back....

20+ knots is common, double digits always, single digits we start wining and complaining...

On 9/13/2018 at 1:47 PM, windseekeryachts said:

RattleNRum, Wraceboats Donovan26, 2nd fastest boat on the course after a Farr400 3 sail reaching doing 16knots, on their way to victory in PhrfA2

FB_IMG_15367659053349993.jpg

You mean 5th fastest boat on the course behind an F18 and 2 Nacra 20's? Or do boats under 20 feet not count in this particular measuring contest? Remember we finished just behind the Farr 400 after starting 5 minutes after them.

22 hours ago, samc99us said:

You mean 5th fastest boat on the course behind an F18 and 2 Nacra 20's? Or do boats under 20 feet not count in this particular measuring contest? Remember we finished just behind the Farr 400 after starting 5 minutes after them.

Ok, 5th fastest. I did not look at the multihulls.  Congrats to you as well. 

cheers