LeoV

Figaro solo

20 hours ago, LeoV said:

Nope, they are trained :)
Last races in Figaro for Dalin, as he moves to Imoca 60, hope he get the win.

NIce speeds at the moment.

Yes, look at the small rudder movements and the boat appearing to "to sail itself" despite sailing in rough sea a wildly powered boat. That takes anticipation, good sail trimming and training.

Coming back to the race, there is an east - west divide, this morning I thought that Anthony Marchand (west) would win this from a better wind angle, not so sure now as the wind migh shift enough to to let the others or at least some of them clear la Coruña without a gybe.

It all depends on coastal effects now. Maybe the guys that split earlier a day ago can reap the benefits.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

It all depends on coastal effects now. Maybe the guys that split earlier a day ago can reap the benefits.

Yes,

The guys from the east are crossing ahead now, may be 15-20 minutes ahead, that's comfortable but events can happen in the river mouth....

On September 3, 2018 at 11:37 AM, LeoV said:

Nope, they are trained :)
Last races in Figaro for Dalin, as he moves to Imoca 60, hope he get the win.

NIce speeds at the moment.

He is a fantastic sailor and will be a very serious force to be reckoned with in the next Vendee Globe. I cant wait to watch him, and Jeremie Beyou, and the other prominent Figaro champions who now have brand new VPLP IMOCAs. Next VG is going to be amazing. 

37 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Yes,

The guys from the east are crossing ahead now, may be 15-20 minutes ahead, that's comfortable but events can happen in the river mouth....

There can be some very quaint winds around the entrance of the Ria de Muros, due to the surrounding mountains, but it isn't what you would normally think of as a river. Wide open water.

Another night time finish I can not follow :) Its close again. Seems to be decent wind, no big currents in the bay, so I do not expect a big change, will see tomorrow.

Dalin is good, he needs to keep an eye on leaderboard overall, need to beat his teammate and win overall, then VG, cant wait.

Key element in all long distance solo sailing is fatigue management...along with reliability of the boat's systems.

il m'a fallu apprendre a dormir dans le gros temps a fond sous spi, faire confiance au pilote

I had to learn to sleep in the big time back under spinnaker, trust the pilot

image.thumb.png.79e9416ced9f859120b771f394ba5833.png

The perils of singlehanding in coastal waters (especially when fatigued)...

@_AnthoMarchand "des moments chauds il y en a eu plein, deja j'ai failli perdre le bateau sur des rochers"

The fourth, @_AnthoMarchand"hot moments there were plenty, already I almost lost the boat on rocks"

DmTH7yOXoAM-4Lw.jpg:large

Damn that little light winds section was funny.

1 hour ago, sidmon said:

Key element in all long distance solo sailing is fatigue management...along with reliability of the boat's systems.

il m'a fallu apprendre a dormir dans le gros temps a fond sous spi, faire confiance au pilote

I had to learn to sleep in the big time back under spinnaker, trust the pilot

image.thumb.png.79e9416ced9f859120b771f394ba5833.png

For those who didn't get it, big time is a bad translation, it should be heavy weather.

3 hours ago, sidmon said:

The perils of singlehanding in coastal waters (especially when fatigued)...

@_AnthoMarchand "des moments chauds il y en a eu plein, deja j'ai failli perdre le bateau sur des rochers"

The fourth, @_AnthoMarchand"hot moments there were plenty, already I almost lost the boat on rocks"

To put things into perspective:

Early Monday morning, North Coast of Brittany, Gildas Mahe, then in the lead, cheating the tide ......

Taken with my phone and no zoom, sitting on the beach.

IMG_20180903_085603.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:36 PM, sidmon said:

Seems Joan Mulloy has a serous halyard problem....

joan.jpg

Joan Mulloy came in only 7 hours behind the leader after suffering this....

"The Comeback Kid"!!

5 hours ago, moody frog said:

To put things into perspective:

Early Monday morning, North Coast of Brittany, Gildas Mahe, then in the lead, cheating the tide ......

Taken with my phone and no zoom, sitting on the beach.

IMG_20180903_085603.jpg

It's insane, doing this in your own bay you know well is OK but they have to do it all over different places.

Must be frustrating for her...but she is out there doing it.

Go Nathalie! Even more than baseball, solo sailing ain't over till is over...

Looking exhausted but satisfied to have completed the 515 nautical miles Stage 2 after she had to abandon Stage 1 because the prevailing lights winds meant she effectively ran out of recovery and prep time before the next stage. The 44 year old part time amateur solo racer technolgy entrepreneur - who catches up with work on her free moments even on the short stopovers, did her first La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro last year to mark her personal milestone of ten years free of cancer.

She crossed the finish line at 20:09.21hrs local time (UTC+2hrs) at 16 hours and 03 minutes and 26 seconds behind the fastest time for the stage set by Sébastien Simon.

Criou said, “I am exhausted. I feel like I am one hundred years old. It was very windy, very wet, very difficult to sleep. With the kite up the pilot had a lot of trouble. So it was either speed with the kite for me or take the kite down. I made it. That was important to me. This leg was a lot harder because it was either very technical because you had to play in the rocks and tide. But the hardest but wa just coming in to the finish here. You keep thinking you are nearly there and then you are not really ten miles out but still three hours out because of the wind on the nose. And I was not planning on the 30kts I got there at the corner, the forecast was saying 14kts-15kts so I had the wrong headsail up and I took the worst possible reef in the fastest possible time in my whole life. That was just at Cape Finisterre, it went fromm 18kts to 40kts, it was crazy. I feel great. This is great to be here.
I never feel lonely at sea. I feel at peace. This was tougher than any of the legs last year.”

natleg2.jpg

2 hours ago, sidmon said:

You keep thinking you are nearly there and then you are not really ten miles out but still three hours out because of the wind on the nose. And I was not planning on the 30kts I got there at the corner, the forecast was saying 14kts-15kts so I had the wrong headsail up and I took the worst possible reef in the fastest possible time in my whole life.

Another constant of singlehanding...Frustration.

This from Webb Chiles getting blown back out to sea off Durban after crossing the Indian Ocean in his Moore 24.

One of his best lines ever: "This is iniquitous."

(Not only do the vast majority of US sailors not know about the Solitaire, its astounding that so very few know who Webb Chiles is and what he has done...and still doing)

The drag of frustration and fatigue. You just gotta power through. There's nobody down below who can spell you for a bit.

Even the hardened Figaroists have to deal with it. Check out Justine Mettreaux dealing with a calm in the Mini Transat a few years ago at about 11:45 in this vid....

Moody, when the passed inside Quassant (SP) I had the nav chart active on the tracker... they were sailing over blue spots :) Had to cjheck the tide level, add 2.7 meters.
Even with that, it was close call.

Sidmon, are you new to solo sailing ? You describe stuff, 99% of us here already know.But maybe I do the same, LOL.

19 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Moody, when the passed inside Quassant (SP) I had the nav chart active on the tracker... they were sailing over blue spots :) Had to cjheck the tide level, add 2.7 meters.

Sidmon, are you new to solo sailing ? You describe stuff, 99% of us here already know.But maybe I do the same, LOL.

No, I am not. I suspect there are a few lurkers who are though. Also suspect many folks havent seen the vids. Just bringing it up for general conversation.

Ah, general discussion, it is always low in Figaro threads, it is for hardcore fans or idiots. Do not know which category I am in...

3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Ah, general discussion, it is always low in Figaro threads, it is for hardcore fans or idiots. Do not know which category I am in...

Not a good way to grow the spectator base!

So yesterday Nat had her rig inspected. Upon reaching the forestay, the person in the rig asked to be lowered down as quickly as possible. This is what they saw at the forestay/mast connection. It is a miracle that the mast stayed up, especially going upwind in 30 knots for the last few miles!

No automatic alt text available.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:48 AM, LeoV said:

Hi Leo,

Inside Ushant:  I'm not close enough to the Figaro world anymore, but I suspect -specially in those low wind conditions - they would sail with the GPS loaded chart at large scale on a tablet. I tried that for fun on a motorboat (in comfort) what you can do is incredible.

Electronics rule : the latest tool that everybody seems to have now is a software called WindBag by TekMor, which - linked to Adrena - analyses and  redress AIS data from the other competitors. On his tablet the skipper sees whether he is sailing at 90% or ...105% of the other's performance : food for skipper's thought !

HiHO, thanks. will look into Windbag, sounds like an insult :)

Sebastian Simon did some smacktalk after leg 2 to the Macif boys, according to Tip&Shaft

Having just downloaded a grib file for the Bay, this looks like a very tricky leg. I guess sailing upwind in 5 knots of breeze and less is easier than dead downwind in the same, but it will be a long route to Saint Gilles. I am happy to see some girls Justine, Cecile and Sophie quite well placed at the moment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moody frog said:

Electronics rule : the latest tool that everybody seems to have now is a software called WindBag by TekMor, which - linked to Adrena - analyses and  redress AIS data from the other competitors. On his tablet the skipper sees whether he is sailing at 90% or ...105% of the other's performance : food for skipper's thought !

http://www.romarrange.com/windbag/92-windbag-analyse-de-donnees-ais.html

AIS sends at least every 3 minutes a message.
Damn fine tool, portable tactician. Saves time staring at screens.

• Like 1

Go Cecile, in 2nd place! ... but which tack will be best in the end? Personally I would favour those heading for Ribadeo right now, but I hope to be proved wrong!

• Like 1

Cecile still in 2nd and three girls in the top ten this morning. Great to see this in a Solitaire race leg where there are only 5 girls among the 36 competitors.

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Cecile still in 2nd and three girls in the top ten this morning. Great to see this in a Solitaire race leg where there are only 5 girls among the 36 competitors.

And while she may be in the back, Nathalie looks to be applying tactics yo stay up with the pack.

Go Nathalie!

Dalin second, Simon wins.
Margin 16 minutes. Simon had two back to back leg victories in leg, that is rare.
If both go Vendee, the rooky winner is a guy to watch for FIg 3 successes, Cardrin, he worked on the Fig 3 foils :)

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 6:40 PM, moody frog said:

Hi Leo,

Inside Ushant:  I'm not close enough to the Figaro world anymore, but I suspect -specially in those low wind conditions - they would sail with the GPS loaded chart at large scale on a tablet. I tried that for fun on a motorboat (in comfort) what you can do is incredible.

Hi Moody,

Thanks for the info on Windbag, that looks really cool. I've got Adrena, so this looks like a tempting add-on.

Cheers!

SB

• Like 1

Leo and Shaggy,

Further to my earlier quoted post, just got to talk this week-end  with  a friend who was on a race organisation motorboat.

Key of the inside Ushant leg was a few sailors, led by Seb Simon, going through Molene archipelago instead of the main Fromveur channel, despite Fromveur being known for strong tidal current, they had more in the archipelago micro-channels. (and may be a better angle)

So despite what I said old school ruled over electronics :)

Fromveur.jpg

• Like 1

merci, tide level was good to do that, been trough the main channels, even at night, never would try Molene other then glassy sea on a little boat.
Bet the competition is so high you take the (calculated) risk to bump a rock. You could probably just sail on. And gain a few miles.

Simon, what kind of guy is that, he could be to watch for the future.

Software:
would be nice to have all the boats on the nav map and have the tracks in colors indicating performance. Green faster, red slower, then its easy to spot fast lanes, lol.

Boats;
Will they be flooding the 2d hand market or will the go to sailing schools ? Almost 100 racers up for grabs.

10 hours ago, moody frog said:

Leo and Shaggy,

Further to my earlier quoted post, just got to talk this week-end  with  a friend who was on a race organisation motorboat.

Key of the inside Ushant leg was a few sailors, led by Seb Simon, going through Molene archipelago instead of the main Fromveur channel, despite Fromveur being known for strong tidal current, they had more in the archipelago micro-channels. (and may be a better angle)

So despite what I said old school ruled over electronics :)

Fromveur.jpg

G'day Moody,

Yep, I believe that from a Figaro sailor!  For mine, the Figaro guys are the most competitive class in the sport bar none. Aside from their lunatic manic obsessiveness in pushing hard, you need to sail at a level that is almost inhumanly perfect to win.

Liz Wardley reminds me of an atypical Figaro sailor. Just tough as nails and meticulously obsessive in everything ie: training/prep/racing.  

8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

G'day Moody,

Yep, I believe that from a Figaro sailor!  For mine, the Figaro guys are the most competitive class in the sport bar none. Aside from their lunatic manic obsessiveness in pushing hard, you need to sail at a level that is almost inhumanly perfect to win.

Liz Wardley reminds me of an atypical Figaro sailor. Just tough as nails and meticulously obsessive in everything ie: training/prep/racing.  

Tougher than anybody when it comes to tackle rough water on any sort of craft !!  :)

13 hours ago, LeoV said:

merci, tide level was good to do that, been trough the main channels, even at night, never would try Molene other then glassy sea on a little boat.
Bet the competition is so high you take the (calculated) risk to bump a rock. You could probably just sail on. And gain a few miles.

Simon, what kind of guy is that, he could be to watch for the future.

Software:
would be nice to have all the boats on the nav map and have the tracks in colors indicating performance. Green faster, red slower, then its easy to spot fast lanes, lol.

Boats;
Will they be flooding the 2d hand market or will the go to sailing schools ? Almost 100 racers up for grabs.

Molene archipelago is not too difficult (although I never tried with that sort of draft) and I find rock hopping to be now much easier with Adrena etc... at large scale.

The sailed the passe Morgol, nobody really went through the middle, maybe next time :)
Passe du grand Courleau (just South East of Morgol) seems way less risky (way to go for me) with the cardinals there in place, and almost as short.

Tried to calculate the advantage, to much work, but in general the South going ones through Morgol, advantage;
Comparing Mahe leading before and Seb Simon:
Start 0;22;32 Mahe lead Simon at 1.4 M
end 1;02;15 minutes 2.5 behind, 0.6 behind leader, advantage  1.9 M

So total gain Simon 3.3 mile
Speed average around 8.5 miles.
Time advantage 20 minutes or so.
Worthwhile.

13 hours ago, LeoV said:

The sailed the passe Morgol, nobody really went through the middle, maybe next time :)
Passe du grand Courleau (just South East of Morgol) seems way less risky (way to go for me) with the cardinals there in place, and almost as short.

Tried to calculate the advantage, to much work, but in general the South going ones through Morgol, advantage;
Comparing Mahe leading before and Seb Simon:
Start 0;22;32 Mahe lead Simon at 1.4 M
end 1;02;15 minutes 2.5 behind, 0.6 behind leader, advantage  1.9 M

So total gain Simon 3.3 mile
Speed average around 8.5 miles.
Time advantage 20 minutes or so.
Worthwhile.

Yes Worthwile !

My curved arrow was purposely not precise as I was not too sure of what I remembered of a conversation held at 12pm ;)

But: what you say is roughly what I remembered of the conversation, Good  ;)

Ltiri and Morgol are quite clear too at daylight.

Many moons ago we were using it as a week-end lunch and drinks spot. You had to be careful with water height at low tide though and quite a few drinks were finished, sitting on the rail of the heeled yacht :) :)

3 hours ago, moody frog said:

Many moons ago we were using it as a week-end lunch and drinks spot. You had to be careful with water height at low tide though and quite a few drinks were finished, sitting on the rail of the heeled yacht :) :)

We should do something like that again :).
thanks for all the info.
But who is Sebastien Simon ?
J80, M34 with Pahun, then a few years Figaro, composite engineer degree.
So not a sudden star but working his way up.
Is he full time sailor for years ?
Did check his Instagram, Ibiza with Juan K, not bad... (ah his Imoca60 for 2020 will be a Juan K)
https://www.sail-world.com/news/209782/Sebastien-Simon-has-title-in-his-reach

Another interesting tidbit;

How Many Years Does it Take to Make a Solitaire Champion?

It was back in 1990 that La Solitaire took place for the first time using the one-design Figaro Bénéteau designed by the Finot team in association with Jean Berret. Thirteen years later in 2003, the new Figaro Bénéteau 2 was designed by Marc Lombard. In all, that makes 28 editions on a one-design boats. Leaving skippers who have won twice (Armel Le Cléac'h, Nicolas Troussel, Nicolas Lunven) or three times (Michel Desjoyeaux, Jean Le Cam, Jérémie Beyou, Yann Éliès) to one side. How many goes does it normally take to win this exceptional event? Analysing the statistics, it comes to 6.17 attempts to come top of the overall rankings. The fastest to get to the top was Yves Parlier in 1991 on his second attempt, followed by Kito de Pavant in 2002, Michel Desjoyeaux in 1992 and Nicolas Lunven in 2009 (third attempt) then Franck Cammas in 1997 and Armel Le Cléac'h in 2003 (fourth attempt).

In other words, you really have to sail a lot of miles to stand out aboard these demanding boats. Sébastien Simon (Bretagne CMB Performance) is on his fifth attempt: 33rd in 2014, 33rd again in 2015, 11th in 2016, fourth in 2017. Winner of one leg (the second) in the 2015 event and winner of two legs in 2018 (2nd and 3rd legs), the skipper from Les Sables d'Olonne could bring the aforementioned average down before the new era begins with the Figaro Bénéteau 3 in 2019.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/209990/Leave-Nothing-On-the-Race-Course

I don't think that the boats are that demanding, for instance minis are probably more demanding, I think that it is just the sailors who are just insanely good. If the figaro was reversing to IOR boats they would probably have the kite up in 40 knots of wind dipping alternatively the pole and the boom assuming that's the fastest way they could find to get these boats to move downwind. The level is also much higher than it was 30 years ago.

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

We should do something like that again :).
thanks for all the info.
But who is Sebastien Simon ?
J80, M34 with Pahun, then a few years Figaro, composite engineer degree.
So not a sudden star but working his way up.
Is he full time sailor for years ?
Did check his Instagram, Ibiza with Juan K, not bad... (ah his Imoca60 for 2020 will be a Juan K)
https://www.sail-world.com/news/209782/Sebastien-Simon-has-title-in-his-reach

There is a selection competition - running every two  years I believe , and again soon - where the Port la Forêt training center screens a few wannabes - with credentials -  to choose one winner which is then sponsored by CMB bank and Brittany for a several years Figaro campaign (2 + 2 years).

Luckily for Simon, very specific and temporary business reasons made the bank want to have an IMOCA campaign for 2020 VG ...

IIRW, Vincent Riou is to run the team ;)

So spending years paid to sail, with races only starting Atlantic coast of France, and mostly staying there. You will get local knowledge :)

So CMB bank needs good news in 2020/2021, makes you almost wonder what is in the books that will come out. Just kidding.
It is a big step up to do the Vendee.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:03 PM, moody frog said:

There is a selection competition - running every two  years I believe , and again soon - where the Port la Forêt training center screens a few wannabes - with credentials -  to choose one winner which is then sponsored by CMB bank and Brittany for a several years Figaro campaign (2 + 2 years).

Luckily for Simon, very specific and temporary business reasons made the bank want to have an IMOCA campaign for 2020 VG ...

Simon's contract has ended first time after the 2017 (or 2016, not sure about that) Solitaire but he did get a new one (one more year) specially to win the 2018 Solitaire, and thats what he did !

Simon will get a new boat thanks to CM (Crédit Mutuel) subsidiary Arkea.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:03 PM, moody frog said:

I dont get it : Riou is in charge of Simon's project with a new imoca build but what about the new PRB foiler version ? Is Riou going to make the VG beside Simon ?

2 hours ago, Baguette du Fromage said:

I dont get it : Riou is in charge of Simon's project with a new imoca build but what about the new PRB foiler version ? Is Riou going to make the VG beside Simon ?

Yep. He has the same PRB, but with foils added, though I understand he has had to be conservative on the foils because of structure and widtg. 

15 hours ago, Potter said:

Yep. He has the same PRB, but with foils added, though I understand he has had to be conservative on the foils because of structure and widtg. 

Yeah, this foiler is the 3rd version of PRB. Riou decided to put versatile foils designed by Juan K, and did realize that he gained 10-15% speed.

But my question was : Is Riou going to do the VG with his PRB ? Despite he's in charge of whole Simon's VG project

7 hours ago, Baguette du Fromage said:

Yeah, this foiler is the 3rd version of PRB. Riou decided to put versatile foils designed by Juan K, and did realize that he gained 10-15% speed.

But my question was : Is Riou going to do the VG with his PRB ? Despite he's in charge of whole Simon's VG project

I believe he is, didn't JLC manage another competitor in his last VG? Whether he is actively managing or his company is, I dont know. 

2 hours ago, Potter said:

I believe he is, didn't JLC manage another competitor in his last VG? Whether he is actively managing or his company is, I dont know. 

I don't know , but he's such a bible that he could.

The Défi Azimut 2018 has started this afternoon (in Lorient), PRB leads !

https://defi-azimut.geovoile.com/2018/tracker/

OC SPORT PEN DUICK offrira la possibilité à des amateurs de courir en double une étape de la prochaine Solitaire Urgo Le Figaro "à bord d’un bateau répondant à une certaine fourchette de rating IRC" ; ce sera également le cas sur la Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2020.

Source Tip&Shaft

9 minutes ago, LeoV said:

OC SPORT PEN DUICK offrira la possibilité à des amateurs de courir en double une étape de la prochaine Solitaire Urgo Le Figaro "à bord d’un bateau répondant à une certaine fourchette de rating IRC" ; ce sera également le cas sur la Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2020.

Source Tip&Shaft

OC sport PEN DUICK will offer the possibility to amateurs to run in doublehanded a stage of the next Solitary person Urgo Le Figaro " aboard a boat answering a certain fork of IRC Rating "; it will also be the case on the Transatlantic race AG2R World on 2020.