LeoV

Figaro solo

Did Nathalie ship her boat to the US, then back to Europe again?  Or did she just leave it there?

17 hours ago, Foolish said:

Did Nathalie ship her boat to the US, then back to Europe again?  Or did she just leave it there?

She's chartering for the Figaro. Her boat is still in SF

For me the most interesting and technically difficult race of the year starts today, 13.00 local time. Stage 1 of the Solitaire; Le Havre, Owers, St Catherines Point, Wolf Rock, Portsall, Round Guernsey and Sark, to Finish at St Brieuc. For those that know sailing in and around the English Channel, not exactly a simple one, and there are spring tides, 30 foot range around the east of Guernsey.

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/the_race#course

No stops in Uk or Ireland, a pity, must be a money thing.
Only one channel race, 2 biscay, one coastal.
good field of sailors.
Will be a nice race again.

15 and a half kts in the middle of the Channel with no foils! Who needs a Figaro 3?

6 minutes ago, staysail said:

15 and a half kts in the middle of the Channel with no foils! Who needs a Figaro 3?

It is quite windy here in North Brittany (Southerly about 25-30 knots in the St Malo area).   1 week ago I spent a day and a night on a mooring on the east coast of Sark, It would have been interesting to see them go by....

Playing the VR version of the race for the first time, strangely addictive 

Fleet just before Wight, they will hit the Island, will they short tack to the South of the Island near the coast OR will there be a devil going over Wight...

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Fleet just before Wight, they will hit the Island, will they short tack to the South of the Island near the coast OR will there be a devil going over Wight...

Brutal short tacking up the back of the island, a shame the VR course is slightly different as it was a fast reach for the armchair sailors. :P

The Breiz Cola and even Duthill going over, interesting... more to follow, great waypoint position :)

Weird course Gedimat around Nab tower.

Would be funny to sail there, mast lights going South and North.

The race website says, Google translated,

" After having gone to get a buoy of relief in front of Deauville, they will start for a first Channel. The 90 miles required to reach Owers East of the Isle of Wight will be the real mouthing of the race. In this zone of high traffic where freighters rub shoulders with fishing and pleasure boats, the first night at sea will keep the sailors in a state of extreme concentration. And this cohabitation should not make them forget to heal their course in the approach of English ratings at the risk of letting go the most accurate. This first delicate passage past, navigators will head to the tip Sainte Catherine south of the Isle of Wight. The riders will then have free choice in their strategy: sailing closer to the white English coast to reduce the effects of the current or hope for a stronger wind a little further offshore."

... so I am surprised to see they can choose to go through the Solent, north round the IOW, and not round St Catherines Pt.

More interesting to have the choice.

A laisser à tribord

A pity :)

Dolan too, Duthil sail damage.

They have been a weaker link in the whole package for a while IIRC.

Just now, LeoV said:

They have been a weaker link in the whole package for a while IIRC.

thanks Leo.

You still doing anything with Minis? 

Nah, sidelined, needed to make real money..

If you see how hard those boats are sailed its a wonder not more things breaks :)

23 minutes ago, LeoV said:
A laisser à tribord

A pity :)

Would have had to be a huge advantage to have taken the Solent route!! Not sure I’d want consider that at night, solo and I know the area pretty well. 

How many hours would it be difficult, a few hours or all the way ?

11 minutes ago, LeoV said:

How many hours would it be difficult, a few hours or all the way ?

It can be busy with shipping traffic, ferries north to south and shipping,  and it looks like they’d be beating all the way through the Solent. Not sure of the tide times, but pushing against it would be boring, especially if it goes wind over tide going back out past the needles. Fully crewed no issue, no not solo after a blast over the channel.  

Or maybe I’m just getting old. :P

Ah, its hypothetical anyway...

Shipping from the East, hard turn North, not many ferries at night. Maybe doable.

3 hours ago, LeoV said:

Ah, its hypothetical anyway...

Shipping from the East, hard turn North, not many ferries at night. Maybe doable.

Made for an interesting 10 minute mental run around as to if it would be worth though. 

I hope that Nathalie Criou is OK as her route seems a bit erratic.

American skipper Nathalie Criou struggled with headsail problems during the night. The Richmond Yacht Club Foundation skipper declared herself “exhausted” on the VHF and reported she was considering stopping to stop. But after a few hours of rest she has resumed her pursuit of the fleet.
https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/en/news/view/night-of-attrition

Its a drift party right now...

If you drop out in a leg, you can restart in the next ones and get a penalty in time, the last finisher plus two hours.
For Criou its better to drop out, but if you mental wanting to finish, you soldier on.

3 days and 5 hrs sailing, 24 figs within 3 miles of leader, close as fuck.

On August 28, 2018 at 1:14 AM, LeoV said:

If you drop out in a leg, you can restart in the next ones and get a penalty in time, the last finisher plus two hours.
For Criou its better to drop out, but if you mental wanting to finish, you soldier on.

she's over half a day BEHIND the next slowest boat. it creates an interesting situation, because if she doesn't drop out, then the boats who retired in this leg - which include some big names - effectively have no shot at even getting a top 10 overall ranking at the end of this thing, based on the "slowest finisher plus two hours" rule for DNF's. 

no disrespect to Nat, she's a nice girl, but it would be great to see an American who could be a bit more competitive with the fleet. 

On August 28, 2018 at 4:38 AM, ctutmark said:

different boat, there are two Figaro 2s in SF

i think they're super cool boats. i had an interesting chat with some people this summer, mostly just dreaming i'm sure, but it would be pretty beat to see 6 Figaro 2's end up on the west coast and run a development course/ school/ series, where participants charter the boats, etc. Figaro 2's are due for a steep price drop i would imagine, as the F3 comes on line. F2's are rad. (so are F3's for that matter)

Good on her for getting out there and racing but sometimes desire and heart isn't enough to be competitive.

After 3 days and 10 hours of racing, the top 10 arrived within 11 minutes from the winner!!

That's the top 10 within 0 . 2 2  %

Crazy

It takes the most sailors years to be competitive in the Fig fleet, so do not be that hard to her. Sailing solo in the Channel sucks.

Anthony Marchand (Groupe Royer-Secours Populaire)
This year has been great I have been doing La Solitaire for seven or eight years and now I feel like the experience is paying off. It was my first time with the kite up in 40kts and I ripped the fleet. I was happy with myself. It’s my second podium.

Damn, 40 knots and a kite up...

Happy with top ten, he placed 7.
Hugh Brayshaw (KEMAT) “ I feel so good. It was such a tense last day. So tense. You just knew that it was so close people were going to pass people at every point and so I was just hanging on in there. And to be in ahead of a lot of very fast boats feels really good. And I managed to hold my speed and stay with them. It is amazing to have a top ten result. I managed to stick to my game plan and stay rested to the end. I had enough energy and brain power to make a good result. I feel like I just worked through the fleet without taking too many risks.

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/en/news/view/flash-quotes-from-the-dock-marchand-dalin-roberts-brayshaw

Yeah that time of last plus extra will make sailors pray that Criou drop out this leg. But even without her time, to drop out is to loose the race overall.
The leaderbooard always in minutes instead of hours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, solosailor said:

Good on her for getting out there and racing but sometimes desire and heart isn't enough to be competitive.

Only way to ever get competitive is, "getting out there."

And she is out there with little sponsorship, and not the product of a hardcore professional sailing farm team like Hugh Brayshaw of the Offshore Academy...

https://theoffshoreacademy.org/

The nearly decade of fairly considerable investment the Academy has spent to get one of its sailors into the top 10 of the Figaro illustrates just how tough it is to be competitive in this race.

So yeah. Good on her, and hope she gets through the series.

Sad thing is, this too used to be a race that "just a regular guy" could actually enter and race in...

9 hours ago, solosailor said:

She seems to be a real Corinthian with little time to train. The level in Figaro is really high, you see people dominate the mini circuit and then during their first year sailing Figaros struggle to reach the first half of the fleet. It is that hard... To be with the fleet you need to train full time. The Brits have been at it for a few years now, they seem to have reached the level of the fleet but AFAIK they have yet to win a stage.

TBH, I think that she should race minis, at least she would be fighting with other boats, it must be disheartening (and boring) to be so far behind.

16 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

she's over half a day BEHIND the next slowest boat. it creates an interesting situation, because if she doesn't drop out, then the boats who retired in this leg - which include some big names - effectively have no shot at even getting a top 10 overall ranking at the end of this thing, based on the "slowest finisher plus two hours" rule for DNF's. 

She abandoned. But it made sense, not for the boats already behind her, but her own time improves massively, as now instead of being a day behind she is only 2 hours behind. 

It's kind of an odd rule though. Had Pierre Attwell known Nathalie was going to retire, he could have retired also and so improved his, and all the retirements times by 3 hours. 

The English Channel can get congested... maybe time it had a neutral name..though pretty difficult when one man's "ditch" is another man's "le fossé"

9 hours ago, LeoV said:

Damn, 40 knots and a kite up...

Solo.  Damn is right!

12 hours ago, sidmon said:

So yeah. Good on her, and hope she gets through the series.

Sad thing is, this too used to be a race that "just a regular guy" could actually enter and race in...

Yes, good on her for getting round the course, which even for the Solitaire, was a hard one. It must be the most difficult competitive sailing in the world and it takes a special kind of sailor even to stay with the top 20 in a leg. Any mishap, any dose of bad luck, even for them, and a good leg result is almost impossible. Also the Fig2s are mostly quite old now and the boats, sails and rigs are not exactly identical.

I don't see anything sad about the fact that the Solitaire is so difficult that "a regular guy" has little chance. It has been that way for years. It is an experts event and unless you are professional you will never have the time and opportunity to be able to train enough if you have to hold down a regular job. Same as for any other professional sport.

No disrespect to Nathalie, i'm all about chasing the dream and good on her for getting out there and giving it a go. I know and like Nathalie. But she's simply not at the level that these guys and gals are, consistently well behind the entirety of the fleet. I'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just conveying the reality. 

All I was implying was that it would be much more exciting to have an American representative (or more than one), who could have the opportunity to train and go mix it up in that fleet, and see how they compare. A Mckee or Breymaier, or dreamers who have gone out and done some solo stuff like Ryan Finn and myself, or many of the very very talented professional sailors and up and coming young hot shot sailors that call America home. 

There are plenty of Americans who could at least hang onto the back of the fleet, though I agree the level is high enough that it would take even the best sailor on earth multiple seasons to truly be competitive. This race is amazing. 

edit: add "solosailor" to that list. He's a heck of a sailor, it would be interesting to see where he stacked up. Not among the front runners who have been at it for eons, but certainly in the pack, keeping the right sails up, responding to the shifts and generally going the right way. 

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Yes, good on her for getting round the course, which even for the Solitaire, was a hard one. It must be the most difficult competitive sailing in the world and it takes a special kind of sailor even to stay with the top 20 in a leg. Any mishap, any dose of bad luck, even for them, and a good leg result is almost impossible. Also the Fig2s are mostly quite old now and the boats, sails and rigs are not exactly identical.

I don't see anything sad about the fact that the Solitaire is so difficult that "a regular guy" has little chance. It has been that way for years. It is an experts event and unless you are professional you will never have the time and opportunity to be able to train enough if you have to hold down a regular job. Same as for any other professional sport.

Your latter point is the reason sailing....racing in particular...is dying. And that is sad. A racing series such as this need not inevitably turn into a "professional sport". 

And the fact that Nathalie was still sailing when others, such as her coach Gildas, abandoned is double good on her.

1 hour ago, ronnie_simpson said:

No disrespect to Nathalie, i'm all about chasing the dream and good on her for getting out there and giving it a go. I know and like Nathalie. But she's simply not at the level that these guys and gals are, consistently well behind the entirety of the fleet. I'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just conveying the reality. 

She is sailing in a region that is home to every other sailor out there, even if its in the back.....While the demigods of sailing you say "deserve" to be there are not. 

Again, this is why sailing is dying. That is in fact a big time dick attitude.

3 hours ago, staysail said:

It is an experts event and unless you are professional you will never have the time and opportunity to be able to train enough if you have to hold down a regular job. Same as for any other professional sport.

Nathalie is out there sailing. You may be some kind of top notch pro...but you are not showing your stuff in France.

We should all be cheering her on instead of coming up with  garbage elitist reasons why she doesn't "deserve" to be in the Figaro.

19 hours ago, Panoramix said:

The Brits have been at it for a few years now, they seem to have reached the level of the fleet but AFAIK they have yet to win a stage.

[Pedant point] Clare Francis won a stage in 75. Admittedly, a very different race then, though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sidmon said:

There is a fair amount of short/single handed racing for regular guys, though. Here, there's the Solo Offshore Racing Club, the Royal Southern doublehanded series, doublehanded racing in RORC and JOG racing and so on.

I have no direct knowledge, but I would bet that there's a fair amount in France. The Transquadra, for one thing. Hell, the Sunfasts are designed and built for exactly this sort of thing.

But without things like the guard ship the French navy provide for the Figaro, you can't really run an event that's as intense.

9 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

[Pedant point] Clare Francis won a stage in 75. Admittedly, a very different race then, though.

How well, I should have said in recent history. I don't want to belittle them, it is just to highlight how competitive the Figaro is. I am sure that eventually one of them will win.

8 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

There is a fair amount of short/single handed racing for regular guys, though. Here, there's the Solo Offshore Racing Club, the Royal Southern doublehanded series, doublehanded racing in RORC and JOG racing and so on.

I have no direct knowledge, but I would bet that there's a fair amount in France. The Transquadra, for one thing. Hell, the Sunfasts are designed and built for exactly this sort of thing.

But without things like the guard ship the French navy provide for the Figaro, you can't really run an event that's as intense.

Funnily, we don't have that many SH events. It's mainly minis, and Transquadra for amateurs plus a few coastal races.

17 hours ago, sidmon said:

She is sailing in a region that is home to every other sailor out there, even if its in the back.....While the demigods of sailing you say "deserve" to be there are not. 

Again, this is why sailing is dying. That is in fact a big time dick attitude.

What is the dick attitude? He is merely stating the truth. 

As for your assertion that an event like the Figaro is why sailing is dying. Absolute crap. The Solitaire does more to attract people to sailing than any other event in 30ish fters. Your statement just shows you know norhing about sailing in this region. 

She seems to be a real Corinthian with little time to train. 

She has had a Figaro in SF Bay for several years to train on but it seems she does mostly crewed or doublehanded events......  not sure how much times she does singlehanding, although she did a good bit with her Express 27.

10 minutes ago, Potter said:

What is the dick attitude? He is merely stating the truth. 

As for your assertion that an event like the Figaro is why sailing is dying. Absolute crap. The Solitaire does more to attract people to sailing than any other event in 30ish fters. Your statement just shows you know norhing about sailing in this region. 

An opinion...one that I see exemplifies the  feigned (and usually  always unwarranted) exclusivity and arrogance many find off putting in the sport...does not constitute the "truth."

You are confusing cause and effect. Figaro is not the reason sailing is dying. It is the mentality that mere mortals cannot ever hope to compete in these venues that is killing sailing. That is the absolute crap.

1 minute ago, solosailor said:

She has had a Figaro in SF Bay for several years to train on but it seems she does mostly crewed or doublehanded events......  not sure how much times she does singlehanding, although she did a good bit with her Express 27.

Did she do the SHTP in the Express?  

12 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Today she is in France participating in the Figaro Solitaire. 

And, you are...where?

Yes.   Corrected 11th out of the 14 finishers.   She was just shy of 2 days behind the other Express 27 and 6 hours slower elapsed than a 200 rated Westsail 32.   Can't remember if he had major gear breakage.  

7 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Yes.   11th of the 14 finishers.

Good on her. 

She has sunk a bunch of her effort and treasure to get to the Figaro. She is competing, no matter her standing. 

You, on the other hand, are just another spectator.

6 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Taking shit from you.

Think of it as a spirited debate (and your statement drips of the intimation you are somehow my "superior"). The way I see it, Nathalie deserves support and not some "damned with faint praise" sniping.

Especially from her SF Bay solo sailing peeps.

3 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Yes, I only spectate.

When it comes to the Figaro...That is the immutable truth.

I never said she shouldn't be out there competing.    As I recall I said "good on her" for competing.    I like people who love to sail.    As I recall now I think she did have electrical issues in the SHTP.

27 minutes ago, solosailor said:

I never said she shouldn't be out there competing.    As I recall I said "good on her" for competing.    I like people who love to sail.    As I recall now I think she did have electrical issues in the SHTP.

You conveniently left out the last half of your snide "Damned With Faint Praise" snark about why she really shouldn't be there.

but sometimes desire and heart isn't enough to be competitive.

It just made you look jealous she is and you are not.

18 minutes ago, sidmon said:

Oh, I am :)

Mericans talking Figaro, it works.

Just now, LeoV said:

Oh, I am :)

Mericans talking Figaro, it works.

Solo sailing is very much a backwater here...

Full disclosure: Way Back When I was a youngin' (70's) I always wanted to do the Figaro.

So yeah. I'm jealous too!

Thats why I'm a bit miffed the only American who has participated in recent years isn't getting the support from the ones who should be cheering her on the most.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, southerncross said:

Solo.  Damn is right!

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/en/news/view/a-race-within-the-race
The determined French born 44 year old silicon valley executive and entrepreneur turned sailor, adventurer and endurance racer entered Le Solitaire last year to celebrate her tenth year in remission from cancer.

I would think she pays for it herself for a large part, so good for her.

So you know  off Joan de Kat ?

HISTORY, about the designs;

http://sailingtrivia.ravenyachts.fr/2017/01/figaro-class-yacht-designs-19662019.html

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LeoV said:

So you know  off Joan de Kat ?

Sure do. Gent had a hard time keeping a floating boat under him! Wonder if the The Learned and Wise of the day would've given the dismissive sniff of, "sometimes desire and heart isn't enough to be competitive."?

http://www.ancre-de-marine.com/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=38248&type=2&code_lg=lg_fr

La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro Finish deltas Stage 1: French unless stated. 1 - Anthony Marchand - Groupe ROYER - Secours Populaire finished- 22:54:28 2 - Thierry Chabagny - Gédimat + 3,06min 3 - Charlie Dalin - Skipper Macif 2015 + 3,38 min 4 - Sebastien Simon - Bretagne CMB Performance + 4,25 min 5 - Alan Roberts - Seacat Services GBR + 6,13 min 6 - Erwan Tabarly - Armor Lux + 7,33 min 7 - Hugh Brayshaw - KAMAT GBR + 8,32 min 8 - Alexis Loison - Custo Pol + 9,50 min 9 - Tanguy Le Turquais - Everial + 9,59 min 10 - Xavier Macaire - Groupe SNEF + 10,59 min 11 - Pierre Leboucher - Guyot Environnement + 11,08 min 12 - Martin Le Pape- Skipper MACIF 2017 + 12,54 min 13 - Corentin Douguet - NF Habitat + 13,30 min 14 - Vincent Biarnes - Baie de St Brieuc + 14,43 min 15 - RonanTreussart - Les Perles de Saint Barth + 15,57 min 16 - Benjamin Dutreux - Sateco - Team Vendée Formation + 16,33 min FIRST ROOKIE 17- Thomas Cardrin – Team Vendée Formation + 17,05 min 18 – Romain Baggio – Maison Meneau – les Marins de la lune + 17,56 min FIRST AMATEUR 19 – Pierre Quiroga - Skipper Espoir CEM CS + 18, 04 min 20 – Damien Cloarec - Saferail + 18, 06 min 21 – Loîs Berrehar – Bretagne CMB Espoir + 21,20 min 22 - Justine Mettraux - TeamWork SUI + 22,38 min (+5 mins penalty) 23 – Sophie Faguet - Corben Porsche + 26,49 min 24 - Eric Perron - Finistère Mer Vent + 32,28 min 25- Sebastien Petithuguenin - Le Défi ensemble contre le cancer + 36,38 min 26 - Cecile Laguette - Eclisse + 2h 24, 06 min 27 - Joan Mulloy Taste The Atlantic a Seafood Journey + 4h 06, 05 min 28 - Pierre-Louis Attwel - Laboratoires Mayoly + 09h 54, 36 min Stage 1 ABDs 29 - Antoine Calliste - Immonew + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Thomas Dolan - Smurfit Kappa IRL + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Eric Delamare - Région Normandie + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Gilads Mahé - Breizh Cola + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Nathalie Criou - Richmond Yacht Club Foundation USA + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Nick Cherry - Redshift GBR + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Amaiur Alfaro - Evi Natutika Com Eol Eus + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Frederic Duthil - Technique Voile + 11h 54, 36 min

4 minutes ago, sidmon said:

La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro Finish deltas Stage 1: French unless stated. 1 - Anthony Marchand - Groupe ROYER - Secours Populaire finished- 22:54:28 2 - Thierry Chabagny - Gédimat + 3,06min 3 - Charlie Dalin - Skipper Macif 2015 + 3,38 min 4 - Sebastien Simon - Bretagne CMB Performance + 4,25 min 5 - Alan Roberts - Seacat Services GBR + 6,13 min 6 - Erwan Tabarly - Armor Lux + 7,33 min 7 - Hugh Brayshaw - KAMAT GBR + 8,32 min 8 - Alexis Loison - Custo Pol + 9,50 min 9 - Tanguy Le Turquais - Everial + 9,59 min 10 - Xavier Macaire - Groupe SNEF + 10,59 min 11 - Pierre Leboucher - Guyot Environnement + 11,08 min 12 - Martin Le Pape- Skipper MACIF 2017 + 12,54 min 13 - Corentin Douguet - NF Habitat + 13,30 min 14 - Vincent Biarnes - Baie de St Brieuc + 14,43 min 15 - RonanTreussart - Les Perles de Saint Barth + 15,57 min 16 - Benjamin Dutreux - Sateco - Team Vendée Formation + 16,33 min FIRST ROOKIE 17- Thomas Cardrin – Team Vendée Formation + 17,05 min 18 – Romain Baggio – Maison Meneau – les Marins de la lune + 17,56 min FIRST AMATEUR 19 – Pierre Quiroga - Skipper Espoir CEM CS + 18, 04 min 20 – Damien Cloarec - Saferail + 18, 06 min 21 – Loîs Berrehar – Bretagne CMB Espoir + 21,20 min 22 - Justine Mettraux - TeamWork SUI + 22,38 min (+5 mins penalty) 23 – Sophie Faguet - Corben Porsche + 26,49 min 24 - Eric Perron - Finistère Mer Vent + 32,28 min 25- Sebastien Petithuguenin - Le Défi ensemble contre le cancer + 36,38 min 26 - Cecile Laguette - Eclisse + 2h 24, 06 min 27 - Joan Mulloy Taste The Atlantic a Seafood Journey + 4h 06, 05 min 28 - Pierre-Louis Attwel - Laboratoires Mayoly + 09h 54, 36 min Stage 1 ABDs 29 - Antoine Calliste - Immonew + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Thomas Dolan - Smurfit Kappa IRL + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Eric Delamare - Région Normandie + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Gilads Mahé - Breizh Cola + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Nathalie Criou - Richmond Yacht Club Foundation USA + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Nick Cherry - Redshift GBR + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Amaiur Alfaro - Evi Natutika Com Eol Eus + 11h 54, 36 min 29 - Frederic Duthil - Technique Voile + 11h 54, 36 min

Wonder why Justine Mettraux got a 5 minute penalty?

21 hours ago, sidmon said:

Your latter point is the reason sailing....racing in particular...is dying. And that is sad. A racing series such as this need not inevitably turn into a "professional sport". 

And the fact that Nathalie was still sailing when others, such as her coach Gildas, abandoned is double good on her.

Sailing and sailboat racing may be dying where you come from but the opposite is true in France. The Figaro racing is regarded very positively here in France by professionals and amateurs alike. Nothing sad about sailing here. Maybe you should visit and see for yourself.

Quite why France seems to be such a good place for all types of sailing and at all levels is curious. Personally I would put it down to a non-elitist, everyone welcome, attitude, particularly on the Atlantic and Channel coasts. The harbour management people also seem welcoming and genuinely interested in boats and sailing people, and in folk enjoying themselves. Germany and Sweden in my experience, also seem particularly "sailor friendly".  The situation in the parts of the UK where I have sailed over many years has deteriorated with most yacht harbours which used to be friendly, now really only interested in how much money they can take from you, and how much they can restrict your freedom.

Opportunities exist for top level sailors in France, and for anyone to become a top level sailor if they have the talent. Its places which cannot support racing like the Figaro Solitaire which are the sad ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sidmon said:

Nathalie is out there sailing. You may be some kind of top notch pro...but you are not showing your stuff in France.

We should all be cheering her on instead of coming up with  garbage elitist reasons why she doesn't "deserve" to be in the Figaro.

If you read my post (which you quoted twice!) again and carefully you will see I said "good on her..." which I meant. I admire anyone who can get to a start line in a Solitaire race and get round the course especially one as hard as the one we are talking about. Anyone who can get there and actually do it deserves to be there as far as I am concerned. I am not any kind of pro and never said or implied that I am. I have sailed with the Figaro fleet (but not competed in a Figaro race), so I do know a little about how difficult it is.

Nothing you say can change the fact that today's Figaro races in France are unlikely to be won by a sailor who is not at the very top of the game. If that means "elite" in your book I will not argue, but racing in France including the Figaro Solitaire is anything but an "elitist" sport, and its the very opposite of sad.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, staysail said:

Sailing and sailboat racing may be dying where you come from but the opposite is true in France.

Nothing has changed then , I was there over a decade ago now and was struck by the promotional calendars from Agricultural suppliers in the provinces that featured racing yachts as opposed to the expected half naked women  ............... 

1 hour ago, staysail said:

Sailing and sailboat racing may be dying where you come from but the opposite is true in France. The Figaro racing is regarded very positively here in France by professionals and amateurs alike. Nothing sad about sailing here. Maybe you should visit and see for yourself.

In the US sailing has been on the wane for many years now. Many references to that in SA.  Figaro is as big as a PGA (golf) event here, but you would be amazed at how few US sailors know a thing about it. While you French have a sucessfull culture of sailing as a spectator sport, because fewer and fewer people are even even exposed to sailing here, its not happening. In the US sailing as even a participatory sport is fading away. Yeah. It is sad.

And it doesn't help that people see sailors treat other sailors out doing something pretty remarkable like participating in the Figaro on their own dime so crappily.

With the introduction of the Figaro 3 doubt we will see anymore (largely) self-funded Corinthians in the Solitare again.

I really enjoy France. Was last there in March. Have yet to convince the wife to get over to Brittany though.

Quite why France seems to be such a good place for all types of sailing and at all levels is curious. Personally I would put it down to a non-elitist, everyone welcome, attitude, particularly on the Atlantic and Channel coasts. 

Not so much here. The immediate negativity in Ronnie's and Solo Sailor's comments about Nathalie's participation in the Figaro is telling. Ronnie - a purported "sailing journalist"- should look hard in the mirror about that.

If you read my post (which you quoted twice!) again and carefully you will see I said "good on her..." which I meant. I admire anyone who can get to a start line in a Solitaire race and get round the course especially one as hard as the one we are talking about. Anyone who can get there and actually do it deserves to be there as far as I am concerned. I am not any kind of pro and never said or implied that I am. I have sailed with the Figaro fleet (but not competed in a Figaro race), so I do know a little about how difficult it is.

Should've read your comment more closely. I just lament the fact that race venues such as the the BOC, and now the Figaro, and others have become too expensive for even the well heeled "regular guys" to hope to compete in. 

If things keep going the way they are here, sailing will become a minuscule niche past time that only folks exposed to what you have in France will be the least bit interested in.

You conveniently left out the last half of your snide "Damned With Faint Praise" snark about why she really shouldn't be there.

but sometimes desire and heart isn't enough to be competitive.

A comment on competitiveness is not saying "she really shouldn't be there".    Don't fucking try to put spin on it and put words in my mouth...  so to speak, I said no such thing.   And now that you've got me in a pissy mood I'll add if I did wish to compete and were asking for others to sponsor me I would certainly make sure my sailing CV wasn't full of errors.

4 minutes ago, solosailor said:

A comment on competitiveness is not saying "she really shouldn't be there".    Don't fucking try to put spin on it and put words in my mouth...  so to speak, I said no such thing.   And now that you've got me in a pissy mood I'll add if I did wish to compete and were asking for others to sponsor me I would certainly make sure my sailing CV wasn't full of errors.

Seems we are getting to the heart of the matter...

Whatever. At this juncture, I would rather cheer on the sole American in the race.

9 hours ago, solosailor said:

The heart of the matter is I looked at her sailing CV; today.   

Whilst some posters have merely been stating the truth, and actually being supportive. Simon has decided that anyone mentioning Natalie in nothing other than glowing praise is not being supportive enough. 

Facts do not appear important to him. 

3 hours ago, Potter said:

Whilst some posters have merely been stating the truth, and actually being supportive. Simon has decided that anyone mentioning Natalie in nothing other than glowing praise is not being supportive enough. 

Facts do not appear important to him. 

Nope. You're wrong. FACT.

18 hours ago, sidmon said:

Wonder why Justine Mettraux got a 5 minute penalty?

Because of a broken seal. See below (in french)

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/news/view/flash-jury-penalite-de-5-minutes-pour-justine-mettraux

And the last boat to finish ( Laboratoires Mayoly Spindler-MSD France) got a ten-minute penalty. It results in a ten-minute increase for each boat that retired from leg 1. See below (in french) (again)

https://www.lasolitaire-urgo.com/news/view/flash-10-minutes-de-penalite-pour-pierre-louis-atwell

Tip&Shaft newsletter has a nice write up of leg 1.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:40 PM, sidmon said:

Seems we are getting to the heart of the matter...

Whatever. At this juncture, I would rather cheer on the sole American in the race.

You know she is a Frenchwoman that immigrated to the US, right?  That isn’t a coincidence, by the way. 

2 hours ago, Roleur said:

You know she is a Frenchwoman that immigrated to the US, right?  That isn’t a coincidence, by the way. 

Yes...

image.png.9d49e71913419307d31250bce80ac5b9.png

Three leading boats passing Ile de Bréhat.IMG_20180902_185224_090.thumb.jpg.0c709b990049d3eb6c8f0d57984c3665.jpg

Taken with my phone through the 20×100mm binoculars of my grandpa's summer mansion on the Brittany coast.

• Like 3