Joe_P

New rigging for boom and mainsheet on my O'Day dinghy

The (original?) Schaeffer blocks on my O'Day Widgeon are worn out, making control difficult. I've never replaced deck hardware, and would like suggestions on how to improve the current setup, and shorten rigging time.

Mainsheet:

It's currently rigged like pic A below. Running through four blocks, the rig's not easy to use, and doesn't let out the main as fast as I'd like when a gust hits. Since the blocks are being replaced anyhow, I'm thinking of going to a rope traveller, like in pic B, which seems simpler as well. Both versions were used by O'Day on this boat. I know I'd be going from a 3:1 to a 2:1 purchase, but it's a 12' boat, and should allow the boom out faster when a gust hits.

Opinions on a rope traveller setup?

Should I add a cleat to make the traveller length adjustable?

Should I use a "linked" block (two blocks at 90° offset to each other), or a low-friction ring to slide across the rope traveller?

Boom vang:

The current setup is in pic C, with the line connecting to a fiddle on the mast (not shown). I'm thinking of replacing this with a block w/ becket. The existing SS bracket riveted to the mast is pretty stout. Should I try to reuse that somehow, or remove and attach new hardware to the mast?

Deck mounting:

The existing swivel blocks just are screwed into fiberglass, with no backing (there's no access to the other side), and are pulling out. How should the new hardware be mounted? Just screws again?

New hardware will be Viadana ball bearing blocks, unless I hear a good reason not to use them.

PS - I tried drilling and grinding to remove the axle, hoping to only replace the sheaves. Not worth my time, and pretty much ruined the rest of it in the process.

IMG_20171014_141749.jpg

IMG_20180822_141855705.jpg

IMG_20180822_141914525.jpg

IMG_20180822_141921670.jpg

rig5-4.jpg

rig5-5.jpg

D&R Marine sells parts specifically for the O'Day Widgeon.

http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=62

I have a widgeon with a rope traveler.  It's a simple, flexible system that you can easily adjust to suit your boat and needs.  I wouldn't bother making the traveler length adjustable, it's not a racing boat.  One option is to tie the traveler block to the centre of the rope, or use a couple of stoppers to limit the movement of the block.  That way you can get pretty good control over the balance between inward and downward pull on the mainsheet.

You may as well keep the existing bracket on the mast for the vang, unless it appears to be damaged or corroded.

On 8/23/2018 at 2:36 PM, gideon said:

D&R Marine sells parts specifically for the O'Day Widgeon.

http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=62

I have a widgeon with a rope traveler.  It's a simple, flexible system that you can easily adjust to suit your boat and needs.  I wouldn't bother making the traveler length adjustable, it's not a racing boat.  One option is to tie the traveler block to the centre of the rope, or use a couple of stoppers to limit the movement of the block.  That way you can get pretty good control over the balance between inward and downward pull on the mainsheet.

You may as well keep the existing bracket on the mast for the vang, unless it appears to be damaged or corroded.

Thanks for the reply. I've ordered the new hardware from Viadana, after lots of measuring.

I plan on tying the block to the traveller as you suggested. That makes a lot of sense, and seems like it'd hold the boom better at the center of the boat.

I've got my eye out for a WW Potter 19 for "lake camping", but for now I'm just hoping to take this old girl out this fall.