Sign in to follow this  
Izzy

Mast vegetation??

New boat, it has vegetation or some kind of lichen on the standing rigging and a glob of something green and growing at the top of the mast.  What is it and how do I get rid of it?  The concern is that it is weakening the rigging - and it's gross.  Boat lives in freshwater in Alabama - stuff grows here.  I thought about using bleach, but again, probably not such a good idea on the wire rigging - 

Thx.  I'll try to post some pics of it later.

Aaaaa. No. Not bleach: the mortal enemy of wood, aluminum and stainless steel. The growing thing is probably growing off of a pile of bird guano. Go up there and make it tiddy with soap and water. Often if necessary.

• Like 1

Water is the ideal solvent for most bio stuff. Whatever flavor detergent or surfacant you prefer can help. Choose one that doesn't like to chew thru aluminum(Simple green) or plastics. Moving it around with a sponge usually helps as well. If its outside bleach will have zero long term protection. You don't have an infestation. Just a bunch of biological scum.

13 minutes ago, CaptainAhab said:

Water is the ideal solvent for most bio stuff. Whatever flavor detergent or surfacant you prefer can help. Choose one that doesn't like to chew thru aluminum(Simple green) or plastics. Moving it around with a sponge usually helps as well. If its outside bleach will have zero long term protection. You don't have an infestation. Just a bunch of biological scum.

the above linked 30 seconds product is nice for starting off, apply it once, apply again after the first rain storm or a month goes by, then clean by hand when you have time, PH neutral and inert, keeps killing off the green in the meantime.  Simple green is pretty caustic for bare aluminium and has no residual protection effect, and may increase growth.  The cheap 30 seconds product seems to hang on for a while, I use it on everything from concrete, the shop roof, boats, canvas etc.  Saves a lot of elbow grease, which people paying by the hour(or those doing it themselves who have other things to do) appreciate.   Once clean, re-apply it again after a rinse.  If you keep up on spraying it on once a year or two you can save a LOT of scrubbing. 

22 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Wet and forget. 

... which is benzalkonium chloride. A much cheaper source is algae killer from HTH or other pool chemical co.

Very effective on lichen and no risk of corrosion. Marine toxic, so limit use.