Katanna

Melges 24 vs Seascape 18

Looking to get into a sport boat and comparing the two. It will be a light crew most of the time with some singlehanded pleasure sailing mixed in. Majority of racing will be beer can. Lake St Clair two foot chop. 

Would the Melges be too much boat? Logic would say the length would handle the waves better. Also more available and more affordable. Love the symplicity  of the Seascape, could I depower the Melges for lighter crew?

Steve

A Melges 24 is a LOT of boat for 2 people.  Unless you sail in very light conditions I'd say you would need to be very serious about your sailing to doublehand one all the time.

Although the Melges are now available used, - and are great boats ( I used to crew on # 002 ! )  - they might not be the best for 2-up and mixed-use  ( as in,  with the keel up they aren't very good,  unlike the Seascapes )   & when it's windy at all, four people are sailing their asses off - it's a whole lot more everything, not Just the 6 foot difference.

I saw the Seascape 24 & 27 in Naptown and liked them a lot,  but haven't sailed them.

This opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try and get out on a Melges this week. 

I sailed a melges doublehanded for fun and was proficient at it. 

But the true power of a melges is with a crew 

you are not comparing the right ones as Melges 20 would be closer match for the 18s. However, if you have an active fleet and you want to do beer can racing in not too much wind, Melges24 is one of the best designed boats of all times (IMO)...

I keep forgetting most places it doesn't blow 20-ish from May to September or so.

The Melges 24 does not sail well when heeled. I would recommend either a smaller boat where your crew weight is closer to what it has been designed for (Melges 20, J/70?), or a boat that sails okay with lots of heel (For example a J/80 is such a boat).

I’ve never seen a seascape so I cannot comment on that.

a choice in between the two, but closer to the Seascape is a U20.  It does very well with 2 people (~350 lbs total).  You need to reef the main when the wind gets somewhere above 12-15 knots to keep it controllable.  However, you can get it up on a plane and sail all day with 2 people.   Singlehanding is a little more difficult, but doable.

Might suggest you visit the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club in Holland Michigan and try out a VX1from their fleet. Great sport boat,  It races on the lake with 2, single hands OK, has a big cockpit. If sailed well can beat a M24.  Less expensive than the boats you are looking at.

• Like 1

I am a single-handed multihull sailor and I have not sailed any of these two boats. However from looking at the videos (I look at these all the time), the Seascape 18 would be the only monohull that would make me change to a monohull sailor.  It checks all the boxes for me; Fast (planning hull), Fun, easy to single-hand but you can take the family, easily trailerable, beachable, and usable cabin. All of this in an 18ft package.  I do not think it gets much better than that. The only drawback I see is that it is relatively slow upwind; I am used to going 10kts upwind. Not a huge deal but I am spoiled. Downwind it looks like a lot fun, though. It is not clear to me what the total price would be in the USA.

Cheers, 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sailhmb said:

Might suggest you visit the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club in Holland Michigan and try out a VX1from their fleet. Great sport boat,  It races on the lake with 2, single hands OK, has a big cockpit. If sailed well can beat a M24.  Less expensive than the boats you are looking at.

Ditto what he said.  The VX-1 is vastly superior to either of these two other choices and will reward you quicker than the Melgi or Seascape.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, JimBowie said:

Ditto what he said.  The VX-1 is vastly superior to either of these two other choices and will reward you quicker than the Melgi or Seascape.

Ok seriously a VX-1 vastly superior to a M24?  Maybe with just 2 crew in over 12kts a breeze.  Give me under 8kts of breeze and 1 other friend and I'll beat a VX up down and around the course every time. 

1 hour ago, port tack said:

Ok seriously a VX-1 vastly superior to a M24?  Maybe with just 2 crew in over 12kts a breeze.  Give me under 8kts of breeze and 1 other friend and I'll beat a VX up down and around the course every time. 

Game on!

I haven't sailed on a VX one , but have spent all day hanging over the lifelines of a M24 more than I liked. The M24 only needs crew to hoist and douse the spin, and provide ballast. A skipper and a fat man would be competitive under 8 knots. Your experience may be somewhat different lol!

On 8/29/2018 at 10:14 AM, vaplaya said:

It is not clear to me what the total price would be in the USA.

$34,995 (from the Seascape USA website). It includes everything you need to go sailing but you'll likely need also a Trailer and there are a few other useful extras (sail covers, mooring kit, ...). 

Yes.  Trailer, outboard, taxes, registration fees, boat cover, sail cover, mast cover, and trapeze lines (just kidding). 

I adds up to a number that may be high for an 18 footer.  I still do think is a nice boat, though. 

Cheers, 

For grins, comfort, ease of sailing and great performance, I would second trying an Ultimate 20. Very easy boat to step into sportboat racing. Does very well in PHRF and several very good boats in the classifieds. Certainly will give you a keelboat feel. If you are looking for more of a dingy feel then look at VX1, viper etc..