Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Used J/109 Question

Question for the guys with J/109s.  I just looked at a 2003 in SoCal.  All the interior metal hinges, door handles, reading lights were corroded and pitted.  This on a boat where there are no signs of excess moisture down below.  No dark stained wood, no leaks at the hatches or chainplates, etc, etc.  Also boat is in SoCal, so as arid a marine environment as there is.  In all other areas, the boat shows extremely well, and shows its been well taken care of/well maintained.  I owned a new 2003 109 for 4 years on the Chesapeake Bay, but that may not have been long enough for this problem to occur.  Is it just less than great quality metal?  Or is it something on just this particular boat?

I think we had a similar issue on a 2005. Almost zero water damage on wood surfaces too (boat is fresh water also). Kind of a greenish residue on fixtures. Recently cleaned it with Collinite 850 and it worked wonders.

Thanks for all the feed back...wonder how long it lasts after cleaning?  Did cleaner leave residue, etc, on adjacent wooden surfaces?

Our 2004 has some oxidation or whatever is causing the discoloration.  I'll have to try the collinite.  I did look into replacing them and the local west marine had some that looked very similar but they were charging boat part prices (surprising since it's a boat, I know).  I think they were around $150 each and a quick internet search didn't come up with any better cheaper options.  I think there are 5 reading lamps on a 109 and that was more money than seemed worth spending since they are fully functional, just a little corrosion.  They can however be replaced quite easily for either 1) way too much normal money or 2) about what you'd expect for anything on a boat. You could even buy some nicer looking more modern ones depending on your taste which was my original plan.

On an unrelated note, west marine is now price matching everything.  If you find it on the internet or anywhere else just tell them and they'll drop the price, no questions no hassle.  I've used this a couple times already, it's awesome.  No, I don't work for WM and I know there are things about WM that are annoying but it's close, it's right there, and now they're prices shouldn't be much of an issue.  Just a public service announcement.

We had similar issues on our Bay Area 2004 J/109 a few years ago. Very light oxidation and very light blue-green here and there on random interior fittings, but no real pitting anywhere. A quick wax up with Flitz and they all looked brand-new and it's been fine without touch-up for maybe 3 years now.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, Crash said:

Question for the guys with J/109s.  I just looked at a 2003 in SoCal.  All the interior metal hinges, door handles, reading lights were corroded and pitted.  This on a boat where there are no signs of excess moisture down below.  No dark stained wood, no leaks at the hatches or chainplates, etc, etc.  Also boat is in SoCal, so as arid a marine environment as there is.  In all other areas, the boat shows extremely well, and shows its been well taken care of/well maintained.  I owned a new 2003 109 for 4 years on the Chesapeake Bay, but that may not have been long enough for this problem to occur.  Is it just less than great quality metal?  Or is it something on just this particular boat?

In the market?!

Yes, but not focused only on a J/109, though it is at/near the top of the list for meeting our requirements.  See perfect compromise boat thread in CA for a discussion of those requirements...

Saw a J-109 on the market recently that had been significantly marked down below usual resale prices supposedly because some delamination had been discovered, but no details about the problem offered.

Is delamination a known problem with J-109s?

tiafai

pk

Not that I’ve ever heard of. Very Early models had issues with the aftmost keel floors, and had a factory fix.

Two years ago I saw a J/109 that had significant problems, but from what I understand it was due to the boat having been in a previous accident and improperly repaired.