Sign in to follow this  
Alan H

Throwing out a crazy idea: S2 7.9 Westerns

Just for S' and G's....WHAT IF..

...there was an S2 7.9 "Western Regional Championships" in 2019?.  How many 7.9's from California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico would attend?  Let's pretend it's on San Francisco Bay, just for starters.  I know of two boats on SF Bay...mine and one in Vallejo. There are at least 4-5 in Washington, one in Idaho and I dunno about anywhere else.

I'm putting this up on the mostly moribund Class forum as well, BTW.

Just thinking out loud, here...

Friday: "Tune-Up Race" and welcome shindig

Saturday: 2-3 W/L races on what I would call relatively short courses in flattish water, say 5-7 miles each.

Sunday: Long Distance race that would count "double" (considering as these are kinda supposed to be MORC-type boats) that would get out the Golden Gate to the Point Bonita Buoy, but not so far out that everybody would have to buy the umpty-ump pieces of equipment that the Coast Guard requires for "offshore" here... and maybe add up to about 25 miles overall.

settles in and waits for the crickets to start...

This might come down to how many boats actually exist out there.  

From the Class perspective, there are 0 boats registered in California, 1 in Oregon, 3 in Washington, 2 in Idaho, 1 in New Mexico and 0 in Nevada.

http://s279.org/membership/memberdisp.php

You might be better served opening this up to all MORC boats and making it a MORC event, not a 7.9 one.

Ugh...not willing to go through the grief of turning myself into a MORC station.

Obviously, I'm in California, the other boat is in California and we're not registered with the class. There was no point in registering and paying dues, there is no class racing here.  I"ve told the class which boat I have and which one is in Vallejo, so they know.   But if there was some class racing, even once a year....