ordkhntr

Routing wires thru thus the deck at the mast

I have 3 wires I need to run thru the deck at the mast. Power for the lights, coax for vhf, and the wind instrument. I am thinking of using the Blue Sea clams but I think it would require 3 different holes/clams. Is there a way to do it with one hole that would be waterproof?  It's for a Ranger 26.

Thanks,

RJ 

There's a number of alternatives. You can possibly run three smaller wires through a blue seas clam if you wrapped them in a self amalgamating tape where they pass through the clam, but I think the Stranstut multi-deck seal is reasonable solution if you want the wires to pass through individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Scanstrut-Multi-Deck-Seal-Multiple/dp/B00A8OM80I

image.thumb.png.8f53368886c1101e88bdcaf27e44d3ef.png

Inside a deck stepped mast, or out on the deck? Inside the mast is trivial. All you need is a little standpipe bonded into the deck to keep the little bit of water in there from running into the boat. Out on the deck you want the stuff mentioned above.

Lots of folks run flexible hose from a deck fitting to the mast and run the wires inside of that. You can use a hose clamp on the deck fitting and just jam the hose into a hole in the mast. You can make up a fitting on the mast and have a hose clamp on both ends of the hose. You can run a 180 elbow out of the deck, run the wires out of it and from there into the mast.

Here's the first hit I got on Google, it isn't the nicest but it gives an idea:

pix01.jpg

It's a Ranger 26. That little piece of boat jewelry is probably 50% of the cost of his boat.

Though they are the best solution. What is the small little s.s. hook below the wiring with the zip tie? Surely it can't be to hold the wire bundle in place? 

Maybe a tank vent?

On 9/1/2018 at 9:02 PM, Tom Keffer said:

Vent for the battery bank.

betya I could catch a sheet under it :ph34r:

On 8/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, toecutter said:

There's a number of alternatives. You can possibly run three smaller wires through a blue seas clam if you wrapped them in a self amalgamating tape where they pass through the clam, but I think the Stranstut multi-deck seal is reasonable solution if you want the wires to pass through individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Scanstrut-Multi-Deck-Seal-Multiple/dp/B00A8OM80I

image.thumb.png.8f53368886c1101e88bdcaf27e44d3ef.png

The new J121 uses this seal and they normally spec gear that is well sorted, so I'd give it a look.  Price seems reasonable.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, J28 said:

The new J121 uses this seal and they normally spec gear that is well sorted, so I'd give it a look.  Price seems reasonable.

I think that's what I'll go with. Seems like a pretty reasonable solution.

• Like 1