DryArmour

Caribbean Racing Season 2018-19

Provided the weather remains reasonable and the Caribbean doesn't get hit with more hurricanes through the balance of 2018, who is headed to the Caribbean for 2019? What are the MUST DO* events?  The Caribbean 600 took its toll on boats and people this year but looked amazing for those prepared and ready for what the topical waters can dish out. Does it get any better than this?

christophe_jouany@SBR2018-15375.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

47172386672428351481.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-03-01-at-8.35.12-AM.png

The RORC 600 is definitely the race to do.  Lots of tactical decisions, a shed-load of island roundings and local effects, dozens of hard sail changes and the ever-present Trade Wind.  It's what the RORC does so well, hard, demanding, fun and a great party after.

The St Barths Bucket is superb if you're into megayachts.  And the whole USVI, BVI, Antigua season in April is a great way to play.  Just keep well clear of the charter boat fleets.  Ugh.

One great feeder race before Antigua Sailing Week is the 42-mile Guadeloupe-Antigua Race from Deshaies to English Harbour.  It should be a massive power reach the whole way.  Huge fun in '81 with the late great Jol Byerley on his Olson 30 Riptide.  We did see 20 knots boatspeed, with a 3 and a reef.  It's a straight shot, right across the Trade Wind, in deep water with all those thousands of miles of fetch pushing up a pretty decent wave set.

EDIT, I just realized it was "five J's."  Jol, Judy, Jenny, me and Julian Gildersleeve.  How that slid past me before, I don't know.  Rum, I expect.

• Like 1

Is the Heineken Regatta likely to be back to the old standard? How is St Maarten doing these days? Did the hurricane at least take away some of the mosquito population?

The HR is back strong, a new SMYC multihull regatta is on, Feb 8 -10.

Sint Maarten is looking much better, Saint Martin, not so much.

If it rains and it's still the mozzies are still there.

I have the RORC 600 and Les Voiles on the calendar. Have done 2 BVI Spring Regattas as well. BVI is a very low key event, but it is affordable and well run. Damage on Tortola was obviously extensive, but we will be back at Nanny Cay this season.  

On 9/6/2018 at 2:06 PM, PL3 said:

Which begs the question...how does a mosquito survive a category 4 hurricane?

As a Happy 40th Bday to us, some of my friends and I chartered for Antigua Sailing Week. Since it was a moorings boat, it was like trying to race a used VW Jetta but otherwise the conditions were awesome and the parties great. 

On 9/6/2018 at 2:06 PM, PL3 said:

I am glad to hear that the regatta remains strong and that the island is recovering.

D321482.jpg

HK-Regatta-38-Sunday_LowRes-2757.jpg

i will go wherever for whomever needs me ..............

There was a good cleanup, islanders should be marginally satisfied with the help till now. Elec lines, water etc etc now being layed underground, new building code for roofs etc.
government spending under Dutch control, so better maybe but slower in spending. The guys getting it harder and complaining are the illegal business owners some who are even a St Martin or Dutch national like the American bar owner who had no lease, no property rights, was illegal in St Martin, and wanted government help :) He just paid bribes in the past...

But no garbage burning plant, so all the garbage piles up, plant should be built in the next years, or in island time.
So there are constant fires on a huge dump, good against mossies, not the smell though.

On 9/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, LeoV said:

There was a good cleanup, islanders should be marginally satisfied with the help till now. Elec lines, water etc etc now being layed underground, new building code for roofs etc.
government spending under Dutch control, so better maybe but slower in spending. The guys getting it harder and complaining are the illegal business owners some who are even a St Martin or Dutch national like the American bar owner who had no lease, no property rights, was illegal in St Martin, and wanted government help :) He just paid bribes in the past...

But no garbage burning plant, so all the garbage piles up, plant should be built in the next years, or in island time.
So there are constant fires on a huge dump, good against mossies, not the smell though.

Great situation update. Thank you.