paperinick

Who are the AC sailors/designers still out of a AC job?

As Dalton declare yesterday there are 6 (?!) potential challengers looking to enter (3x ITA, 1x USA, 1x Norwegian, 1x Asian). Assuming, best scenario two make it, is there enough AC talent (sailors, Designers, coaches, etc ....) to put an average team together?

I believe the folks from the potential 2nd US Team said a couple of months ago that they are looking to hire some the Designers from the now abandoned OTUSA Squad. Wing/Mainsail Designer Scott Ferguson comes through my mind.

9 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I am still waiting on the call myself.

was thinking the same thing.

Starting to look like there are few jobs coming up.

At 70+ I guess I'm not high on the list unless they are trolling for a bite!

There are no AC sailors out of a job. There are some ex-AC sailors. The idea that sailing in the AC is a career path is the fundamental reason the event has been FUBAR over recent cycles.

• Like 1

A design competition that promotes steady employment for workers?  Look at the US car industry to see how that's been working out. 

16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

A design competition that promotes steady employment for workers?  Look at the US car industry to see how that's been working out. 

Hmmm...

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Hmmm...

And that’s unfortunate. I was lucky enough to start working in the heyday of the multinationals, when concern for workers wasn’t far behind attention to the bottom line, and being made redundant was unheard of

32 minutes ago, Xlot said:

And that’s unfortunate. I was lucky enough to start working in the heyday of the multinationals, when concern for workers wasn’t far behind attention to the bottom line, and being made redundant was unheard of

As you know, I work for an American car company, but we have a strong union and better labor protection and social laws than in the US. Hence, if the workers are no contractor or agency employee (anymore) and have a contract with the company itself, they're rather safe. You can't overrate how important it is to have strong unions.
Won't apply to the AC tho, but it was never designed to provide lifelong jobs anyway. Hence my "hmmm..." re. this weird comparison.

• Like 1

^Weird comparison was a hyperbole, but referred to  professional sailor career path motivations if they start to outweigh design competition motivations.  I was thinking of the framework agreement, for example. 

On 9/2/2018 at 3:56 AM, paperinick said:

As Dalton declare yesterday there are 6 (?!) potential challengers looking to enter (3x ITA, 1x USA, 1x Norwegian, 1x Asian). Assuming, best scenario two make it, is there enough AC talent (sailors, Designers, coaches, etc ....) to put an average team together?

where was this declared ?

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

You can't overrate how important it is to have strong unions.

Snip, you had me at this, so glad I live in the Pacific Northwest, some of the strongest in the country, only the metropolitan east coast would be rivals (at least as far as construction goes).

• Like 1