paperinick

Who are the AC sailors/designers still out of a AC job?

Recommended Posts

As Dalton declare yesterday there are 6 (?!) potential challengers looking to enter (3x ITA, 1x USA, 1x Norwegian, 1x Asian). Assuming, best scenario two make it, is there enough AC talent (sailors, Designers, coaches, etc ....) to put an average team together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the folks from the potential 2nd US Team said a couple of months ago that they are looking to hire some the Designers from the now abandoned OTUSA Squad. Wing/Mainsail Designer Scott Ferguson comes through my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I am still waiting on the call myself.

was thinking the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to look like there are few jobs coming up.

At 70+ I guess I'm not high on the list unless they are trolling for a bite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no AC sailors out of a job. There are some ex-AC sailors. The idea that sailing in the AC is a career path is the fundamental reason the event has been FUBAR over recent cycles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A design competition that promotes steady employment for workers?  Look at the US car industry to see how that's been working out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

A design competition that promotes steady employment for workers?  Look at the US car industry to see how that's been working out. 

Hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Hmmm...

And that’s unfortunate. I was lucky enough to start working in the heyday of the multinationals, when concern for workers wasn’t far behind attention to the bottom line, and being made redundant was unheard of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Xlot said:

And that’s unfortunate. I was lucky enough to start working in the heyday of the multinationals, when concern for workers wasn’t far behind attention to the bottom line, and being made redundant was unheard of

As you know, I work for an American car company, but we have a strong union and better labor protection and social laws than in the US. Hence, if the workers are no contractor or agency employee (anymore) and have a contract with the company itself, they're rather safe. You can't overrate how important it is to have strong unions.
Won't apply to the AC tho, but it was never designed to provide lifelong jobs anyway. Hence my "hmmm..." re. this weird comparison.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Weird comparison was a hyperbole, but referred to  professional sailor career path motivations if they start to outweigh design competition motivations.  I was thinking of the framework agreement, for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 3:56 AM, paperinick said:

As Dalton declare yesterday there are 6 (?!) potential challengers looking to enter (3x ITA, 1x USA, 1x Norwegian, 1x Asian). Assuming, best scenario two make it, is there enough AC talent (sailors, Designers, coaches, etc ....) to put an average team together?

where was this declared ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

 You can't overrate how important it is to have strong unions.
 

Snip, you had me at this, so glad I live in the Pacific Northwest, some of the strongest in the country, only the metropolitan east coast would be rivals (at least as far as construction goes).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now