2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Best seats I've had at a game.  Close to the cheerleaders was the key.

field.JPG

No-one will believe that's real until you Photoshop in a note saying you're not thinking of PA.

Perhaps this point has been made but would someone explain to me again why Kapernick is not good enough to play in the NFL. Consider these comments from Sports Illustrated about the Buffalo Bills QBs (not I would wish being a Bill on CK). For those who are not familiar there are 32 teams with the Bills being ranked last for quarterbacking.

Nathan Peterman Division

32. QB Bills (LW: 32)

Does it really matter who starts for the Bills? Whoever it is — Nathan Peterman or Josh Allen — it’s going to be ugly. Peterman isn’t an NFL player, and Allen is all kinds of not ready for this moment. The duo combined on Sunday to go 11-of-33 for 98 yards with two interceptions in a 47-3 loss.

14 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Perhaps this point has been made but would someone explain to me again why Kapernick is not good enough to play in the NFL. Consider these comments from Sports Illustrated about the Buffalo Bills QBs (not I would wish being a Bill on CK). For those who are not familiar there are 32 teams with the Bills being ranked last for quarterbacking.

Nathan Peterman Division

Does it really matter who starts for the Bills? Whoever it is — Nathan Peterman or Josh Allen — it’s going to be ugly. Peterman isn’t an NFL player, and Allen is all kinds of not ready for this moment. The duo combined on Sunday to go 11-of-33 for 98 yards with two interceptions in a 47-3 loss.

At one point, late in the game, Josh Allen was the leading rusher for Buffalo.  Sad when your 2nd string QB leads you team in rushing yards.

15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

At one point, late in the game, Josh Allen was the leading rusher for Buffalo.  Sad when your 2nd string QB leads you team in rushing yards.

That’s the RFYLD stat. 

Run For Your Life, Dummy. 

12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That’s the RFYLD stat. 

Run For Your Life, Dummy. 

Alex Smith in the early years...

How many teams could use Kapernick, at least as a backup. This is such a clear case of collusion. Kapernick will get way more money out of this suit than he ever could get from playing football - and he doesn't risk his brain health.

• Downvote 1

I bought two new pairs of Nike Sunday afternoon. 

May all of you who have been objecting to Kaepernick’s stand against racism rot in hell!!! 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1.jpg.c2ffa8535b0a6471aa9dd4485dc509c7.jpg

Deadspin comment. lol.

Having the uncoolest of uncool people publicly destroy your merchandise is genius level marketing akin to getting a PMRC “PARENTAL ADVISORY” sticker slapped on your group’s record in the late 80s/early 90s.

13 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

How many teams could use Kapernick, at least as a backup. This is such a clear case of collusion. Kapernick will get way more money out of this suit than he ever could get from playing football - and he doesn't risk his brain health.

He is clearly good enough to play in the NFL. Whether he would be an asset or liability for any business that might hire him to play is the question.

14 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

you need to remember 

1) the NFL is stupid

2) the NFL is a bunch of cloistered rich people surrounded by sycophants.

like with the Brady deflategate bullshit, where everyone had picked a side long before it came up, this won't change anyones mind about Kaep. But if it comes to trial the NFL will look like goobers when their internal fumbling is exposed, just like Goodell looked like an idiot with deflategate. 

On 9/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, Bus Driver said:

Best seats I've had at a game.  Close to the cheerleaders was the key.

field.JPG

I don't see any cheerleaders. Please supply proof. Otherwise, it didn't happen.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Nathan Peterman Division

It’s not that he doesn’t have the ability to be a back up or mediocre starter, it’s the impact he’d have to the team’s revenue stream. The demographic of Nike’s target market and those that buy season tickets year after year aren’t exactly the same. The team owners know this. He’d have to be far more talented to risk upsetting the money machine that an NFL franchise is. 

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I don't see any cheerleaders. Please supply proof. Otherwise, it didn't happen.

They stand in all four corners, adjacent to the end zone.  

I knew my wife would see the pic and framed it so as to preserve harmony in my marriage.

16 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The demographic of Nike’s target market and those that buy season tickets year after year aren’t exactly the same. The team owners know this. He’d have to be far more talented to risk upsetting the money machine that an NFL franchise is. 

it's been pointed out before that the fanbase, including season tickets, is more liberal than the ownership block. Now - some of the skybox holders might be upset, but again, I don't think there is as broad a hatred among fans as people, especially conservatives, believe. there are also substantial regional differences amongst fanbases.

anyways, if you are right, just one more kiss of death for the NFL. enjoy it while it doesn't last.

11 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

it's been pointed out before that the fanbase, including season tickets, is more liberal than the ownership block. Now - some of the skybox holders might be upset, but again, I don't think there is as broad a hatred among fans as people, especially conservatives, believe. there are also substantial regional differences amongst fanbases.

anyways, if you are right, just one more kiss of death for the NFL. enjoy it while it doesn't last.

I’m not arguing specific percentages of season ticket holders that would take issue with hiring CK versus those that wouldn’t. I have no idea what the real numbers are. I’m just saying it’s a large enough number to make owners not want to risk it. 

There’s certainly cases where it’s just the owners themselves that don’t like him, but even liberal owners haven’t hired him, so that tells me the don’t want to risk the $$$.

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

There’s certainly cases where it’s just the owners themselves that don’t like him, but even liberal owners haven’t hired him, so that tells me the don’t want to risk the $$$.

or there was collusion amongst the owners as has been alleged.

"the NFL owners are really smart and rational when it comes to personnel hiring decisions" is not a hill I'd die on.

13 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Are there liberal owners? Certainly not in Texas.  Pretty sure the owners epitomize the good old boys club. You know, the rich old white guys.

59 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

They stand in all four corners, adjacent to the end zone.  

I knew my wife would see the pic and framed it so as to preserve harmony in my marriage.

That's valid, even if I don't like it.

38 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

or there was collusion amongst the owners as has been alleged.

"the NFL owners are really smart and rational when it comes to personnel hiring decisions" is not a hill I'd die on.

Honest question...  What do the NFL team owners gain through this supposed collusion?  I can see the risks, but can’t understand what the rewards would be. 

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

Honest question...  What do the NFL team owners gain through this supposed collusion?  I can see the risks, but can’t understand what the rewards would be. 

It's not overt collusion. Like the non-signing of Barry Bonds when he could have helped teams win, it's more of a collective immune response.  THIS is something that might impact revenue, negatively. Run Away!

Is that illegal? I don't know. Can he sue successfully, again, don't know.

Just now, Raz'r said:

It's not overt collusion. Like the non-signing of Barry Bonds when he could have helped teams win, it's more of a collective immune response.  THIS is something that might impact revenue, negatively. Run Away!

Is that illegal? I don't know. Can he sue successfully, again, don't know.

This... Good synopsis. 

It's just business, so play to emotions to stir up some profits.  

Purity of the game!  Team Spirit!  National Pride!  It's not a protest about prejudice, it's about what I can claim it to be to rile joe sixpack. 

Then make as much money as possible; Luxury skyboxes, TV deals, screw the players, play politics, declare 'non-profit',  strongarm the city to build a new stadium. 

The good old boys may not like (or trust) each other enough to cooperate, but they sure aren't going to let any interlopers into the game.  They never let Trump become an owner. 

54 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I don't see it as a rational position - I see it as an ego driven position from the front office/owners and part of a broader, big, cultural mismatch between the football industry & it's marketed values and the football public. I see the NFL as a league making money right now in-spite of itself and at the cost of it's future and clinging to the hatred of Kaep is keeping it from seeing the real problems looming ahead - that the kids don't play football, care about it much, or watch TV.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:48 AM, Spatial Ed said:

He stood up for freedom.  There is no freedom if we are forced to allegiance.  

So at your job if you become a stand out shit disturber and leave for greener pasture but then find out that nobody wants to hire you, who's fault is it?  Can they sue because no one wants to hire a shit disturber regardless of whether they are talented or just legends in their own minds.

31 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

So at your job if you become a stand out shit disturber and leave for greener pasture but then find out that nobody wants to hire you, who's fault is it?  Can they sue because no one wants to hire a shit disturber regardless of whether they are talented or just legends in their own minds.

People can (and do) sue for all sorts of reasons.

34 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

So enough about your life, what do you think about the OP?

35 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

So enough about your life, what do you think about the OP?

He's a backup QB  that chose a poor way to make his otherwise valid point, and Nike saw a chance to make $$ on the attention.  I hope he gets enough $$ from his Nike endorsement to not need football $$, that he actually got an education ( I don't know one way or another ) so that he has a chance at being successful in some other career, that his protest actually helps to raise awareness of all the reasons young black males are disproportianlly more likely to be shot, and that we all quickly get tired of talking about this. 

5 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

He's a backup QB  that chose a poor way to make his otherwise valid point, and Nike saw a chance to make $$ on the attention.  I hope he gets enough $$ from his Nike endorsement to not need football $$, that he actually got an education ( I don't know one way or another ) so that he has a chance at being successful in some other career, that his protest actually helps to raise awareness of all the reasons young black males are disproportianlly more likely to be shot, and that we all quickly get tired of talking about this. 

he was smart enough to get himself guaranteed money his last season with the 49ers http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17781311/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-agree-restructure-deal,  his last season he was a starting QB, he actually got a degree before he started playing pro-football, and as long as the mango moron needs to kick someone for a dog whistle it ain't going away.

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

... chose a poor way to make his otherwise valid point ...

So you grant that he makes a valid point. Fine.

Did he choose a poor way to make it? Given that so many people on other teams and in other sports have followed his lead and that he even changed it from sitting to kneeling at the suggestion of an Army veteran, it's seems he chose an excellent way to may his point.

You realize I was poking GD, right?  And exactly how should someone make their otherwise valid point?  Sorry but i still remember the 60's and every time some uppity Negro takes a stand the same song plays again.  I remember all the shit about MLK. Which I believed at the time.  Personally I am tired of the faux patriots flag waving and anthem singing and tearing up at God Bless The USA when all they want is for their America to stay the same.  It's Nationalism, not Patriotism.  Patriotism is defending and supporting the entire country and if kneeling during the anthem is that troubling then those people need to have a serious talk with themselves. 

There are a lot of very serious and troubling issues in this country, kneeling ain't one of them.  Good piece on Frontline last night about Dayton Ohio.  Poverty sucks, the war on drugs sucks, it's another subject entirely but again it comes back to what Colin and others are bringing attention to.  The rising tide has not lifted all boats, certainly not the black ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

You realize I was poking GD, right?  And exactly how should someone make their otherwise valid point?  Sorry but i still remember the 60's and every time some uppity Negro takes a stand the same song plays again.  I remember all the shit about MLK. Which I believed at the time.  Personally I am tired of the faux patriots flag waving and anthem singing and tearing up at God Bless The USA when all they want is for their America to stay the same.  It's Nationalism, not Patriotism.  Patriotism is defending and supporting the entire country and if kneeling during the anthem is that troubling then those people need to have a serious talk with themselves. 

There are a lot of very serious and troubling issues in this country, kneeling ain't one of them.  Good piece on Frontline last night about Dayton Ohio.  Poverty sucks, the war on drugs sucks, it's another subject entirely but again it comes back to what Colin and others are bringing attention to.  The rising tide has not lifted all boats, certainly not the black ones.

Just curious how you spot “faux” patriots. What are the indicators?

4 minutes ago, chum said:

Just curious how you spot “faux” patriots. What are the indicators?

Well, if you have to ask.....  for starters - my neighbor who keeps his American Flag on the mailbox 24/7 until it's in tatters.  Do you always ask stupid questions?

Thanks for the well reasoned, thoughtful, informative response.

No problem. Did you tire of trading barbs with Random?  Care to give my earlier post another shot? Perhaps call in some help since I took the time to point out the faux is Nationalism? Pretty sure Helen Keller would have seen that one.

Sorry, I don’t read much of what you write here, I think we can both understand that. I’ll go back and look more carefully and get back to you.

So a cursory review of the thread doesn’t give me any answer. Can you help me out and let me know how you spot a faux patriot? 

You seem to have a problem with people that have a problem with Random, I’ve seen it before, (not that I read much of what you say lol) What’s the problem? Just curious.

No problem - I live in Texas where Flag waving, and public prayer giving are required at every public event.  Since I am an old white guy it's usually assumed that I am "one of them". After meeting with a guy recently he said "I just want to say thanks for you being a good white American".  I really didn't know how to respond to that.

As to Random, you seem to jump to conclusions, or the Olympic leap in logic.  I think Random is a nutter and mostly ignore him.  Why do you ask? As to the faux patriot, exactly what do you not understand about the difference between Nationalism and Patriotism?  I actually have better things to do than this, so just let me know what you need help with.

If youre meeting with people that thank you for being a “good white American” I might suggest you pick a different crowd. I’ve never  had anyone say that to me, or anything like it. Maybe your environs are coloring your view. I wouldn’t like it either, and would probably choose different company or move.

I understand the distinction between Nationalism and Patriotism. That was not my question.

As to Random, sorry, I thought you were defending him.

Well, if you have to ask.....  for starters - my neighbor who keeps his American Flag on the mailbox 24/7 until it's in tatters.  Do you always ask stupid questions?

How dare he let it go until it's in tatters! What colour skin does she have? He's obviously a fake and not like you. You are a real patriot. 

1 hour ago, chum said:

If youre meeting with people that thank you for being a “good white American” I might suggest you pick a different crowd. I’ve never  had anyone say that to me, or anything like it. Maybe your environs are coloring your view. I wouldn’t like it either, and would probably choose different company or move.

I understand the distinction between Nationalism and Patriotism. That was not my question.

Uh, part of my job is meeting with people every day, of all types. That was a first for me. In my work I help those that need and deserve it and weed out those who don't. I am very good at it.   As to your last statement as well as to move it fits in with that "America - love it or leave it" so popular by, wait for it,     ....                     Nationalists parading as Patriots.   Do I have a FAUX Detector? No, but I do have a bullshit detector and given enough time can size a person up.   If you don't see the difference then no, you don't understand the distinction.

It may fit it well with Nationalists, I don’t really know. My comment was based on the assumption that you encountered racism and bigotry regularly where you live.

You did say that you had a faux detector, and that it was triggered by tattered flags, and did I have any other stupid questions.

7 hours ago, chum said:

You did say that you had a faux detector, and that it was triggered by tattered flags, and did I have any other stupid questions.

No, I said I had a bullshit detector. Since you have zip to offer in the way of discussion I suggest you go back to Random comments.  buh bye.

14 hours ago, d'ranger said:

There are lots of ways he could have made his point that didn't make it look like he was disrespecting the national anthem.   He could have came out w/a message on his uniform, he could have created a protest symbol ( analogous to the peace sign ), he could have simply explained his objection and concerns.  You're right - kneeling isn't one of the "big issues" facing the nation, but that doesn't change the fact that the method he chose to voice his protest upset many people.   We mostly agree on this - I think that the way he voiced his protest created an unnecesary burden for himself, and a distraction from the point, that's all. 

No, I said I had a bullshit detector. Since you have zip to offer in the way of discussion I suggest you go back to Random comments.  buh bye.

That is easier than answering the question. I’ve seen this before with your elk. Lots of pontificatiion and bloviating,(sometimes) oblique insults, label assigning etc.. When politely asked a simple and direct question that doesn’t feel good, your elk dismiss it as shit posting, lacking content and/or reason for discussion. 

I love this place.

25 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

There are lots of ways he could have made his point that didn't make it look like he was disrespecting the national anthem.   He could have came out w/a message on his uniform, he could have created a protest symbol ( analogous to the peace sign ), he could have simply explained his objection and concerns.  You're right - kneeling isn't one of the "big issues" facing the nation, but that doesn't change the fact that the method he chose to voice his protest upset many people.   We mostly agree on this - I think that the way he voiced his protest created an unnecesary burden for himself, and a distraction from the point, that's all. 

In my opinion, you shouldn't need the national anthem at sporting events any more than you need it in the schools before classes. 

3 minutes ago, chum said:

That is easier than answering the question. I’ve seen this before with your elk. Lots of pontificatiion and bloviating,(sometimes) oblique insults, label assigning etc.. When politely asked a simple and direct question that doesn’t feel good, your elk dismiss it as shit posting, lacking content and/or reason for discussion. 

I love this place.

You misquote me, falsely accuse me, offer nothing but inaccurate comments and then post your drivel above?  Of course you love this place, you get to take a shit here when ever you like.  That you express your snowflake butthurt as a question is not my concern, problem or issue.  But thanks for clarifying how you really feel about my elk. 

Your insincerity is telling.

3 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

In my opinion, you shouldn't need the national anthem at sporting events any more than you need it in the schools before classes. 

Christ on a crutch... I'm agreeing with Mickey Rat.

38 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

There are lots of ways he could have made his point that didn't make it look like he was disrespecting the national anthem.   He could have came out w/a message on his uniform, he could have created a protest symbol ( analogous to the peace sign ), he could have simply explained his objection and concerns.

And Rosa Parks could have knitted her protest into a blanket and sat at the back of the bus. Effective protest needs to be an irritant. If it's nice and comfortable, no-one pays attention to it. That doesn't get your message out, it just provides a warm comfy feeling that you "did something" whilst accomplishing nothing.

Sorry, but the idea that protesting an injustice should be done in a way that makes everyone happy is delusional at best.

38 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You're right - kneeling isn't one of the "big issues" facing the nation, but that doesn't change the fact that the method he chose to voice his protest upset many people.   We mostly agree on this - I think that the way he voiced his protest created an unnecesary burden for himself, and a distraction from the point, that's all.

I guarantee you that it's caused more people to talk about the issue than him creating a symbol on his uniform ever would have. I'm not surprised Nike's marketing team saw the appeal - Kapernick managed (possibly through mistake) to have created a symbol of protest that is not only widely adopted, but internationally recognised and copied.

Hear about the 9yr old girl sitting down through the playing of our national anthem? I bet you pounds to peanuts she got the idea from Kapernick's method of protest. That wasn't going to happen with some cute embroidery on his uniform and a sit-down interview on late night sports TV.

He sat out the anthem at first, then kneeled because someone told him it was more respectful. He got pilloried for protest clothing (socks, the NFL ain't big on personalization). There isn't a form of "acceptable" protest available.

the nfl didn't even require players to be on the field for the anthem until 2009.

23 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

You misquote me, falsely accuse me, offer nothing but inaccurate comments and then post your drivel above?  Of course you love this place, you get to take a shit here when ever you like.  That you express your snowflake butthurt as a question is not my concern, problem or issue.  But thanks for clarifying how you really feel about my elk. 

Your insincerity is telling.

Sorry for the misquote. Faux and bullshit got transposed. Seems a minor point of order to get your panties twisted over, it didn’t change what you said. Again, easier than answering, I know.

Insincerity? Butthurt? I said what I believe loud and proud, and owned it. 

If he did any of that, would his message have been heard?

The fact that you are responding so many months after these protests began indicates that it is a highly effective kind of protest. There have been other kinds of protest against killing of blacks by police but this is the one that is getting the attention. QED

4 hours ago, Mickey Rat said:

For once, I agree with the Rat!!  Must buy a Powerball ticket today!  Guy at work was cussing out the players saying because they are paid athletes they have no right to protest the anthem.  I tried to explain that so long as the Team doesn't fire them, they can't be breaking any rule!  Long live the 1st Amendment!

Untitled.jpg.8eea52c0baa92ab418fbc408cf887ef8.jpg