1 hour ago, dacapo said:

7F978E05-C25E-4D2A-AB08-5F4245B14EE1.thumb.jpeg.9737aad70608e8caec3822e95a411642.jpeg

rhats mt friends ODay 40 along side that house. It was on the Neuse river 

Know the place and the people well. A shame, that was great sheltered harbor

FB- Doug

One question I have as I watch the storm curve around the Chesapeake: which god do you put yer faith in?

Cuz we've got us a lesser one heah in the Carolinas.

(Asking for a friend.)

21 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

One question I have as I watch the storm curve around the Chesapeake: which god do you put yer faith in?

(Asking for a friend.)

One of the bits of advice from my grandfather: Don't go to a church that's been struck by lightning

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Seems to me once again the European ECMWF model performed better than the US GFS model, at least as shown in Windy. It forecast the landfall as being more south than GFS, which for several days had landfall at Cape Hatteras, and also the turn SW thereafter.

Of course it did. The GFS is a national embarrassment 

• Downvote 1

Comment by Weatherchannel regarding fake weather man video:

A spokesman for the Weather Channel said: “It’s important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, and Mike Seidel is trying to maintain his footing on wet grass, after reporting on-air until 1am this morning and is undoubtedly exhausted.”

ROTFL, they manage to make it even worse which is hard to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

7F978E05-C25E-4D2A-AB08-5F4245B14EE1.thumb.jpeg.9737aad70608e8caec3822e95a411642.jpeg

rhats mt friends ODay 40 along side that house. It was on the Neuse river 

I see a C&C 35-1 back there :-(

25 minutes ago, Marty6 said:

Comment by Weatherchannel regarding fake weather man video:

If they had put more work into faking it they would have got away with it.

stop.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

(Asking for a friend.)

Same god, but before Flo got close, we slapped a new set of Timken roller bearings in the ol' prayer wheel.

Spins like a new Harken block..

YMMV

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 8:55 AM, Dex Sawash said:

LONESOME+M+TRUCKING+Inc.+CANTONMENT+FLOR

If you haven't been stuck behind/near one in traffic, you don't even know you're born.

Imagine being a first responder & dispatch sends you to a hog truck rollover.

Your day suddenly got interesting.

3 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Xs are all the weather stations knocked out by Florence.

weatherStations.jpg

Damn..... they don’t make weather stations like they used to,… But seriously all the reports coming out of Wilmington are very significant regarding tree damage and power outages. The River flooded More yesterday than either for Floyd or hazel and their highest recorded wind speed since 1958. Thank God it was only a category one.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Friend on the Neuse River (Bigfoot Creek) reported just over 10’ of surge a couple of hours ago. That puts 2” in his attached garage. Another 3 feet up the the floor of the house. Says rate has slowed to about 2”/hour so he is hopeful. His power has been out since about 1000 following a minor squall.  

Said there are about 100 boats holed up in the creek. First to drag was a sailboat when winds were about 20 knots earlier today. Naturally, it dragged into another sailboat and appeared to foul its anchor rode.  Nothing he could do but watch as his toys are put away.  He is afraid it will be carnage at first light.

I've got a friend whose boat is moored in Brown Creek, Whortonsville, NC, which is off the north bank of the Neuse, several miles downstream from Oriental. He is out of the country. Any news from that area? I imagine it's very bad.

On a happier note, I suspect my boat is fine - we got very little in Durham, and my boat is about an hour north.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:50 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

North Carolina pig feces lagoons, in lurid detail.  The potential for massive water pollution if (when) everything floods sounds awful (not to mention industrial waste leaching as well from various sites).  

“Roughly 10 billion gallons of wet animal waste is produced annually in North Carolina. That's enough to fill 15,000 [!!!! A goddamn good reason not to eat nasty industrial-farmed pork!] Olympic-size swimming pools. And Florence's floodwaters are coming for some of it.

Some farmers have tried to reduce the waste in their lagoons by pumping some of it out and spraying it on their fields. But even that is unlikely to help much in a severe flood.

Soren Rundquist, Environmental Working Group's director of spatial analysis, said if the rainfall projections hold up, the flood waters will simply take what was sprayed on the fields with them, along with what spills out of the pits.

"Everything that's been sprayed on the fields is going to leave with the runoff anyway," Rundquist said. "So pumping might move it from over here to over there, but it doesn't have a practical effect."

Meanwhile, down by Cape Fear, Burdette, who goes by the moniker "Riverkeeper," said he was "bracing for catastrophic impact" in the wake of Florence.

He said the region could see long-term damage to its water quality from the animal waste that gets caught up in the flood. What's more he said, there are the animals themselves: possibly thousands of dead pigs and chickens that could wind up washed into the river, bringing with them further contamination.”

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics/florence-environmental-hazards/index.html

I suppose one small bonus is that the weather is cooling a little, that lot in the water in the heat would be a potential biological killer. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

I suppose one small bonus is that the weather is cooling a little, that lot in the water in the heat would be a potential biological killer. 

Says your Avatar

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

Damn..... they don’t make weather stations like they used to,… But seriously all the reports coming out of Wilmington are very significant regarding tree damage and power outages. The River flooded More yesterday than either for Floyd or hazel and their highest recorded wind speed since 1958. Thank God it was only a category one.

I'm guessing it is power out rather than weather station destroyed.

5 minutes ago, mad said:

If my boat is still afloat I'll swim thru hog waste to it.

On 2nd thought, I'll take the dink.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:22 PM, Blue Crab said:

I loves me some smell of hog waste in the mornin'. Evenin' too. Now that the Chinese own the big pig farms, maybe they'll pay for the cleanup. 

Might be tricky to enforce soon since the EPA is being gutted by Trump. 

5 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Imagine being a first responder & dispatch sends you to a hog truck rollover.

Your day suddenly got interesting.

I bet PB probably has a tale about just this sort of incident. :P

19 minutes ago, mad said:

No shit. (!)

15 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

I'm guessing it is power out rather than weather station destroyed.

Haji could build up some awesome stations with pv’s and never lose powah.  

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

(Asking for a friend.)

Random chance + don't live in a hurricane prone area (or earthquake, tornado, tsunami prone etc.)

6 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Random chance + don't live in a hurricane prone area (or earthquake, tornado, tsunami prone etc.)

Heh. No matter where ya go, there ya are

54 minutes ago, mad said:

Please keep pesky info and facts out of this discussion!  Fox and Friends told me today that the big man has it all under control and that industrial pig farming is actually good for everyone and that climate change is a big fat plot to destabilize America. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Please keep pesky info and facts out of this discussion!  Fox and Friends told me today that the big man has it all under control and that industrial pig farming is actually good for everyone and that climate change is a big fat plot to destabilize America. 

And if it blows hard enough the pigs will fly anyway, which means they're someone else's problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:
1 hour ago, mad said:

No shit. (!)

It's been gutted in NC for a while now anyway. There has been no water quality measurement in five or six years, and what was happening then was volunteers providing samples to the university system.

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's been gutted in NC for a while now anyway. There has been no water quality measurement in five or six years, and what was happening then was volunteers providing samples to the university system.

FB- Doug

Maybe that’ll change when people are literally in the shit up to their necks. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 2:03 AM, LionessRacing said:

Which Aussie PM has lasted long enough to have a Global view survey done, not that anyone outside of Oz would particularly notice or care. 

Lion a more fundamental question than one about a relative pissant like Aust is which US President has for the first time taken the world's #1 Superpower from giving a shit about the rest of the world to now one that doesn't? 

The international community has a right to be concerned and to express it and if you don't like their scorecard tough shit.

Unfortunately scoring is all they can do as the only ones who can correct the situation is the American voter. The light at the end of the tunnel is those that agree with the rest of the world, significantly outnumber those that don't.

• Like 2

^^^ If he texts about a pending visit and motorcade through Dallas it will be standing room only on the "grassy knoll".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The international community has a right to be concerned and to express it and if you don't like their scorecard tough shit.

Hopefully it was the kick in the bud which they needed for parts of the international community to free themselves from the "World police" and create own, stronger and reliable alliances. Otherwise the whole shebang only strenthend China and Russia.

BTT: Saw a map yesterday with water levels of rivers and it confirmed the mean threat of this hurricane regardless which Cat it had before/during landfall. The rise of the water level in rivers was dramatic.

Typhoon Mangkhut a Cat 5 that hit Phillipines yesterday ..they don't muck around cleaning up...nor it seems wait around for authorities to do it.

Super-Typhoon-Philippines-2--960x576.jpg

Not sure where that comment was headed. Considering the camo and the firearms, they seem to be the authorities. Literally. More that they don't wait for the power company to make sure the power is off and use heavy equipment. 

What strikes me from watching the TV coverage is what the population will be going through, when they can return.

Weeks, months and sometime years before things a back to normal. The TV crews will be on to the next big story and the residents will  be left to put their lives back together.

Some, like in Andrew, will just relocate and move on. Don't know how many will have flood insurance.

One saving grace for the little beach towns like mine is that a bunch of big $hot$ have $ummer home$. My bet is power goes on and roads get cleared well before the po folk on the piedmont.

On the good news front, I'm going to have a mess of rodes to untangle but my wee ship survived at anchor.

Just now, Blue Crab said:

One saving grace for the little beach towns like mine is that a bunch of big $hot$ have $ummer home$. My bet is power goes on and roads get cleared well before the po folk on the piedmont.

On the good news front, I'm going to have a mess of rodes to untangle but my wee ship survived at anchor.

Glad to hear you and boat are OK. Rodes can be replaced

FB- Doug

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That's sad. I raise hogs. It's a very tight operation. I guess that's why they're a loss leader on my farm since I actually do it right with concrete containment pits and and ingestion system. You can't even smell my operation unless it's a foggy spring thaw. That'll carry the smell some since the pits are relatively warm/light air and the ambient air is cold and dense. It's bad about 2 days/year.

• Like 2

bring up google maps,  then bring up NC and turn on traffic filter.

Looks like every road is closed between Fayeteville, Rocky Mount and Wilmington.

The more you zoom in, the uglier it gets.

There is no way to get food into a large area via truck.

Weather Channel says Cape Fear river will crest at 63 feet and flood stage is 35.  That is mind boggling.

Florence has it out for those folks..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

And then sail there. In the dirt. . . ;)

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Lion a more fundamental question than one about a relative pissant like Aust is which US President has for the first time taken the world's #1 Superpower from giving a shit about the rest of the world to now one that doesn't? 

Unfortunately scoring is all they can do as the only ones who can correct the situation is the American voter. The light at the end of the tunnel is those that agree with the rest of the world, significantly outnumber those that don't.

IIRC, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Life on a flood plain swept by periodic tropical storms - like Bangladesh.

I was in Hawaii several years ago, on the North Shore of Oahu, where the famous big wave surfing beaches are.  You could hear the thunder of the breaking waves quite clearly through the open windows of our little beachfront B&B we were staying at.  That evening, I randomly turned on the TV - and I never watch TV: totally random. There was widespread —every-channel— coverage of an earthquake that had recently occurred off the coast off Haida Gwaii (ex-Queen Charlotte Islands), off the northern British Columbia coast, over 2500 kms  away.  We stared at all the newscasters and Hawaii state emergency notices on the screen about tsunami warnings...from an event across the ocean....I quickly went outside, knocking and pushing doorbell buzzers hurriedly on the high, locked security gates of houses in Waimea (I think that’s the town).  No one heard or came.  High security gates, and here’s some guy out there knocking at night...NOT opening!  I finally flagged down a woman in a car and explained my wife and 10 year old daughter were in a B&B at sea level, etc - and she kindly took us to her house several hundred feet higher up, where we spent the night, glued to Hawaii TV tsunami reports.  None came, but the entire state was on alert up to the predicted possible time of arrival of a tsunami.  Pretty scary.  One has only to read about and look at pics of the major tsunami that wiped out Hilo, Hawaii years ago to take tsunamis seriously when an earthquake occurs across the ocean...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

bring up google maps,  then bring up NC and turn on traffic filter.

Looks like every road is closed between Fayeteville, Rocky Mount and Wilmington.

The more you zoom in, the uglier it gets.

There is no way to get food into a large area via truck.

Weather Channel says Cape Fear river will crest at 63 feet and flood stage is 35.  That is mind boggling.

Florence has it out for those folks..

Looks like I95 is shut down too.

RoadClosures.jpg

On 9/16/2018 at 3:31 AM, Bull City said:

I've got a friend whose boat is moored in Brown Creek, Whortonsville, NC, which is off the north bank of the Neuse, several miles downstream from Oriental. He is out of the country. Any news from that area? I imagine it's very bad.

On a happier note, I suspect my boat is fine - we got very little in Durham, and my boat is about an hour north.

My parents have a house on Brown Creek, about halfway up on the western bank.  They stayed up in RI for the storm, likely driving down Wednesday to begin cleanup.  The only word they've gotten so far is that the water level only got about 2" above the level of Irene in 2011, which means water likely didn't get into living space of the house (Irene missed by about 2 feet).  Garage and barn for sure inundated, though.  Extremely lucky on that front. The worse news is that both their dock and their neighbor's were apparently destroyed.  Must have been pretty mean conditions as it was a very well-constructed dock with 2 boat lifts, one big enough for a 28' Grady White with big diesel I/O drive.  Hopefully it was just the planking that got removed, but waiting to hear more.  Brown creek is not very wide, not a lot of room for fetch in there, so it is impressive regardless.

edit:  See this website for excellent updates on the Oriental, NC area:  https://towndock.net/

Typhoon Mangkhut slid past Hong Kong yesterday delivering up average wind speeds only around 70/80k max but storm surge the main problem. That didn't stop "typhoon of the century" babble from the media and pics like this appearing.

Disasters natural or man made seem to leave behind iconic images. These two associated with Hurricane Sandy hitting New Jersey in 2012.

The house was 150 years old at Union Beach. The Real Estate sign maybe not special...except that is a beach in France.

12027064-mmmain.jpg

washed-up-sign.jpg

And a  picture from Hong Knog as Mangout has passed through..., a model railway contact's, brother  took the picture, His boat is still on it's mooring though it was hit by a boat that broke free..

• IMG-20180917-WA0001.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Q said:

And a  picture from Hong Knog as Mangout has passed through..., a model railway contact's, brother  took the picture, His boat is still on it's mooring though it was hit by a boat that broke free..

Between Marina Cove (in foreground) and Hebe Haven YC  (in background). A swing mooring carpark.

MarinaCove3.jpg

I was heading down the ICW and was in Coinjock, NC last Sunday before turning around and high tailing it North with the aid of a weather router....now sitting in Port Washington, NY.  Didn't want to be near Florence.  We were going to do a combo outside passages and ICW on our way south, it now looks like all outside.....i can't image how trashed the ICW is after Florence.  I'm guessing well need to just avoid Beaufort, NC and Southport,NC.    

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Disasters natural or man made seem to leave behind iconic images. These two associated with Hurricane Sandy hitting New Jersey in 2012.

The house was 150 years old at Union Beach. The Real Estate sign maybe not special...except that is a beach in France.

12027064-mmmain.jpg

washed-up-sign.jpg

That house was down the block from my brother’s in Union Beach and I repaired and stained Diane Turton’s back deck a few years ago. She’s a nice lady...

Any other local news?!

8 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Any other local news?!

Cliffy with the amount of "fake news" floating around I would rely more upon the real life experiences and knowledge of posters here to get a true picture. 

That said sounds as though Carolina is now the world's largest lake. That's tough and will take a long time to get back to normal.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Typhoon Mangkhut slid past Hong Kong yesterday delivering up average wind speeds only around 70/80k max but storm surge the main problem. That didn't stop "typhoon of the century" babble from the media and pics like this appearing.

What is babble to someone the other side of the world is real trauma to those living through it Jack. We were fortunate to NOT be in Hong Kong but still had F10-F11 coming through our compound and even here some trees were uprooted. In HK at least 30 boats sank, ended up smashed on the sea wall or dumped on the hard by the almost (3.9) 4m storm surge. One person's "babble" is someone else's personal trauma or tragedy. Sadly an RP52, (the old Yendys) and the first Chinese team we worked with when she was called APAT was one of the victims with goodness knows what damage to her ended up perched metres above the water having been literally thrown there by Mangkhut.

Sad to see - and she wasn't alone.

SS

41863923_1104251473064367_8438512041056010240_n.jpg

41869176_2509854769041369_6246857772562907136_n.jpg

41928436_2509854722374707_8854821004854165504_n.jpg

41930096_2509854862374693_504307792811655168_n.jpg

41932702_2509854689041377_7021433112689115136_n.jpg

41804932_1017969045049646_4389028389747425280_n.jpg

41873181_10161238171235657_56373279711035392_n.jpg

It’s tough watching the surge hitting the Carolinas right now. That was the part in Sandy that caused all the real damage here in NJ. The trees were ripped out and snapped by twisting from micro tornadoes and the the moon tide came in and flooded us out. I’m still out of my house 5 years later. I might get back in in December. 

Here’ the Boat not Sailing thread entry mixed in with the House not Occupied due to flood thread we could start.

When the house is complete I’ll be able to afford to get the boat going...

6CFF612D-EDC7-4C6B-B03E-D7AEF5F9B0F7.jpeg

People who have never experienced a disaster first hand find it clever to be so cavalier.  like jackass sparrow.  I feel for those now facing loss and destruction.  Some people never recover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

What is babble to someone the other side of the world is real trauma to those living through it Jack..

15 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

People who have never experienced a disaster first hand find it clever to be so cavalier.  like jackass sparrow

Come on lads talk about carving out the context with those two replies. 

My comment was re "fake news" reinforced with a tweet from a news crowd @srbnews0 showing a passenger plane hurtling skywood and a mob who say "Our job is to tell the truth and just the truth." 

11 hours ago, nlmasopust said:

My parents have a house on Brown Creek, about halfway up on the western bank.  They stayed up in RI for the storm, likely driving down Wednesday to begin cleanup.  The only word they've gotten so far is that the water level only got about 2" above the level of Irene in 2011, which means water likely didn't get into living space of the house (Irene missed by about 2 feet).  Garage and barn for sure inundated, though.  Extremely lucky on that front. The worse news is that both their dock and their neighbor's were apparently destroyed.  Must have been pretty mean conditions as it was a very well-constructed dock with 2 boat lifts, one big enough for a 28' Grady White with big diesel I/O drive.  Hopefully it was just the planking that got removed, but waiting to hear more.  Brown creek is not very wide, not a lot of room for fetch in there, so it is impressive regardless.

edit:  See this website for excellent updates on the Oriental, NC area:  https://towndock.net/

Thanks for this post.

26 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

It’s tough watching the surge hitting the Carolinas right now. That was the part in Sandy that caused all the real damage here in NJ. The trees were ripped out and snapped by twisting from micro tornadoes and the the moon tide came in and flooded us out. I’m still out of my house 5 years later. I might get back in in December. 

Here’ the Boat not Sailing thread entry mixed in with the House not Occupied due to flood thread we could start.

When the house is complete I’ll be able to afford to get the boat going...

6CFF612D-EDC7-4C6B-B03E-D7AEF5F9B0F7.jpeg

Not to be overly pedantic, but the coastal surge is pretty much done. From Charleston north to Nags Head, stations are reporting about 6" above predicted tidal levels.  What we are seeing and what will get worse is upstream flooding caused by the recording breaking rains across what is aptly referred to as the "Low country".  Doesn't make it any easier for those in the path of the flood waters, I know.  

NWS does a pretty good job of showing flood levels and impacts on specific river pages that you can customize.  For example, Cape Fear River page is here.  https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=ilm&wfoid=18790&riverid=203895&pt[]=all&allpoints=146065%2C141339%2C144635%2C144070%2C141596%2C145732%2C152795%2C145714&data[]=hydrograph&data[]=impacts&data[]=sitemap

Note that at Wilmington, there is obvious tidal influence and they drop below flood stage between high tides.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

I was heading down the ICW and was in Coinjock, NC last Sunday before turning around and high tailing it North with the aid of a weather router....now sitting in Port Washington, NY.  Didn't want to be near Florence.  We were going to do a combo outside passages and ICW on our way south, it now looks like all outside.....i can't image how trashed the ICW is after Florence.  I'm guessing well need to just avoid Beaufort, NC and Southport,NC.    

Make sure you have enough fuel to leave Coinjock, exit outside at Morehead City and come in Winyah Bay to Georgetown.  Skip all the waterway issues and storm affected areas.

After Mathew went through Jacksonville area all the fuel docks were out of power or fuel from St Simons to well South of Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Come on lads talk about carving out the context with those two replies. 

My comment was re "fake news" reinforced with a tweet from a news crowd @srbnews0 showing a passenger plane hurtling skywood and a mob who say "Our job is to tell the truth and just the truth." 

I wrote a tirade Jack, but I deleted it because it is really not worth it. It is easy to be blasé about the losses of others, in this case the approx. 60 people that Mangkhut killed. When you are personally involved it takes on a different timbre. Ask any of the sailing and boating community in Hong Kong right now.

I wouldn't tell them you were the Jack Sparrow who wrote the "out of context" post though, they might turn unfriendly

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Damn, that's a real mess in HK/China. 

Thanks too for the Oriental link. I was just there three weeks ago looking at some boats for sale. Quite a few up on the hard now, involuntarily. But this one takes the cake - probably some hull damage from the pilings though. I have to imagine that these boats with all their bits and pieces still on deck and dingy in davits must belong to absentees, otherwise surely a local would have stripped their boat to the minimum. Even then looks like some of them sank at their slips, maybe torn loose enough to bang holes against the docks.

Boat.jpg

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I wrote a tirade Jack, but I deleted it because it is really not worth it. It is easy to be blasé about the losses of others, in this case the approx. 60 people that Mangkhut killed. When you are personally involved it takes on a different timbre. Ask any of the sailing and boating community in Hong Kong right now.

I wouldn't tell them you were the Jack Sparrow who wrote the "out of context" post though, they might turn unfriendly

Shang I'm not being blase about the losses of others simply pointing out "impacts" between different events and some "fake news" attached to some. Those 60 lives lost you mention was 700 mile away in the Phillipines, not HK that didn't lose a soul.

The majority of Mangkhut's damage in HK was to the pleasure boating community, largely caused by the number of vessels grossly exceeding the supply of all weather anchorages. Swing moorings copped the brunt of it  It was the result of peak wind speeds less than than 100 knots over a short duration with high surge.

That same weather scenario in low lying mainland China later that day had a far greater effect with a few million persons displaced. HK's experience also pales with the impact on the Phillipines and Florence on Carolina and its surrounds.

For example the vessel damage caused in that area around Marina Cove/Hebe Haven YC in the pic upthread the "mean" (10 minute interval) wind speed was less than 60 knots (100 kmh) at 1.30pm Sunday. Peak gusts obviously much higher. It was hardly "typhoon of the century" being reported by some media outlets as late as Sunday morning. N.B. Weather station is across the bay at Tseung Kwan. 

If people don't understand post "context" there is not much I can do about it.

skgspd.png

DnO4GDRWwAELCg-.jpeg

That bitch Florence is not done screwing with humans.

Spinning severe weather and tornadoes up RT 95 corridor from NC/VA border to DC/Baltimore past 3 hours.

Took apart an Advanced Auto parts store like a 6 year old going into Christmas presents.

One confirmed killed in Chesterfield just south of Richmond about an hour ago.

https://wtvr.com/2018/09/17/chesterfield-building-destoryed-after-reported-tornado-near-hull-street/

Tornado warnings east out to the bay until 10 tonight.

Enough already Flo, you made your point..

Get used to it. Mother Nature has a fever and she's pissed.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shang I'm not being blase about the losses of others simply pointing out "impacts" between different events and some "fake news" attached to some. Those 60 lives lost you mention was 700 mile away in the Phillipines, not HK that didn't lose a soul.

The majority of Mangkhut's damage in HK was to the pleasure boating community, largely caused by the number of vessels grossly exceeding the supply of all weather anchorages. Swing moorings copped the brunt of it  It was the result of peak wind speeds less than than 100 knots over a short duration with high surge.

That same weather scenario in low lying mainland China later that day had a far greater effect with a few million persons displaced. HK's experience also pales with the impact on the Phillipines and Florence on Carolina and its surrounds.

For example the vessel damage caused in that area around Marina Cove/Hebe Haven YC in the pic upthread the "mean" (10 minute interval) wind speed was less than 60 knots (100 kmh) at 1.30pm Sunday. Peak gusts obviously much higher. It was hardly "typhoon of the century" being reported by some media outlets as late as Sunday morning. N.B. Weather station is across the bay at Tseung Kwan. 

If people don't understand post "context" there is not much I can do about it.

Pax Jack. It's difficult not to react when you have friends boats wrecked. Nothing fake about that. What wasn't fake was the strength of the gusts coupled to the storm surge.  However while there has been quite a bit of fake news surrounding the storms there is nothing 'fake' about the impact in Hong Kong. It doesn't matter whether it was 40 knots or 140 knots, a lot of boats have been sunk or severely damaged and some people I have spoken to, one who has lived in Hong King al their life (high side of 50) told us she has never seen an impact like this on the boats on the water.

I also would refer to the photos I posted (and I have dozens more) - no photoshop, real boats sunk or on the rocks, nothing fake about the heartbreak of those owners.

But yes the media certainly do hype these things up. I just about wet myself laughing at the weather channel reporter doing his little dance as if it was blowing like hell while the two guys walked past behind him - a perfect video bomb.

Anyway, normal service is now resumed and the clean up continues.

SS

2 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

That bitch Florence is not done screwing with humans.

Spinning severe weather and tornadoes up RT 95 corridor from NC/VA border to DC/Baltimore past 3 hours.

Took apart an Advanced Auto parts store like a 6 year old going into Christmas presents.

One confirmed killed in Chesterfield just south of Richmond about an hour ago.

https://wtvr.com/2018/09/17/chesterfield-building-destoryed-after-reported-tornado-near-hull-street/

Tornado warnings east out to the bay until 10 tonight.

Enough already Flo, you made your point..

Flo has some Balrog tailwhip left in her.  We had 3.6” of rain in 6 hrs early this morning and flash floods popping up all over.

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I have spoken to, one who has lived in Hong King al their life (high side of 50) told us she has never seen an impact like this on the boats on the water.

Shang also a factor of more boats and more boats on swing moorings.  The HK Authorities have been talking about increasing/enlarging pleasure craft "tyhpoon shelters" (breakwaters) for a few years now. However this infrastructure expansion doesn't seem to get any traction. Meanwhile the number of boats has skyrocketed to the extent the most difficult and expensive thing about boat ownership in HK is finding a place to park it and if you do be prepared to part with a kidney.

Maybe one upside upside of Mangkhut is that infrastucture might happen sooner than later.

trio-star-beach-hiking-023-1024x768.jpg

I'm expecting our UK weather misinformers to go into overdrive now, We have the remains of Hurricane Helene heading our way, though it just rates as a storm now. I'm on the edge of what they are calling a yellow alert, that's for a 50 to 60 mph gusting wind.. nothing much. Yesterday I checked the boat cover is on OK that will do...

Make sure you have enough fuel to leave Coinjock, exit outside at Morehead City and come in Winyah Bay to Georgetown.  Skip all the waterway issues and storm affected areas.

After Mathew went through Jacksonville area all the fuel docks were out of power or fuel from St Simons to well South of Jacksonville. 

Thanks!  We'll actually be leaving from Virginia Beach, VA as we will need to take a passage from New York City to Virginia Beach first where we can re-provision and fuel up.  We'll then go outside around Cape Hatteras where it gets interesting.  Big concern is what ports will be open and actually have fuel they can pump and when.  I'm guessing Beaufort, NC and Southport, NC will be down for a long time.  Georgetown is an interesting thought.....need to dig into that a bit.  I have a 60 gallon fuel tank and carry 16 additional gallons in jerry jugs which give me about 72 hrs to make a passage in reasonable condition.....

33 minutes ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Thanks!  We'll actually be leaving from Virginia Beach, VA as we will need to take a passage from New York City to Virginia Beach first where we can re-provision and fuel up.  We'll then go outside around Cape Hatteras where it gets interesting.  Big concern is what ports will be open and actually have fuel they can pump and when.  I'm guessing Beaufort, NC and Southport, NC will be down for a long time.  Georgetown is an interesting thought.....need to dig into that a bit.  I have a 60 gallon fuel tank and carry 16 additional gallons in jerry jugs which give me about 72 hrs to make a passage in reasonable condition.....

Any place between Norfolk and Charleston will probably be closed. My understanding is that Morehead City didn't get hit too hard, but I have not heard specifically whether marinas are open.

FB- Doug

As mentioned, we were relatively unscathed by Florence here in Durham. My wife is active in an international exchange organization here, and we were expecting a group of students from the UK to visit for a few days for a series of planned events. They were to travel via bus from NYC this morning.

We found out this morning that the bus line is not going south of Richmond VA, so everything had to be cancelled. I imagine it's because of flooding, and perhaps sketchy services along the way.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Any place between Norfolk and Charleston will probably be closed. My understanding is that Morehead City didn't get hit too hard, but I have not heard specifically whether marinas are open.

FB- Doug

Thanks for your thoughts and input. That's interesting about Morehead City, it would be great if they had some services available.  We're starting to plan for a Norfolk to Charleston passage.....

39 minutes ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Thanks for your thoughts and input. That's interesting about Morehead City, it would be great if they had some services available.  We're starting to plan for a Norfolk to Charleston passage.....

Are you actually coming into VB or Norfolk?

1 hour ago, doghouse said:

Are you actually coming into VB or Norfolk?

VB.  We'll head south from Sandy Hook, NJ to Virginia Beach, VA, hopefully this weekend.....depends what the weather window looks like.  Preference is Virginia Beach as it seems like that would be a great place to begin the next passage around Cape Hatteras.  Looks like you're from VB, any suggestions on marinas or spots to anchor would be helpful.  We're liveaboards on a Jeanneau 45DS.  Draft is 5'-6", spar height 64', beam 14'.  

1 minute ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Yes.  We'll head south from Sandy Hook, NJ to Virginia Beach, VA, hopefully this weekend.....depends what the weather window looks like.  Preference is Virginia Beach as it seems like that would be a great place to begin the next passage around Cape Hatteras.  Looks like you're from VB, any suggestions on marinas or spots to anchor would be helpful.  We're liveaboards on a Jeanneau 45DS.  Draft is 5'-6", spar height 64', beam 14'.  

There's unfortunately only a single option for Virginia Beach, Rudee Inlet on the outside of the bridge. Decent anchorage though, and one marina, the satellite area for the Virginia Beach Fishing Center. Little Creek is close, but right over the city line in Norfolk.

I'll have to check and see what the depth is in the inlet right now,  they have been dredging, but the storm may have silted it up a bit.

You'll be in sight from my front porch if you come on down here.

14 minutes ago, doghouse said:

There's unfortunately only a single option for Virginia Beach, Rudee Inlet on the outside of the bridge. Decent anchorage though, and one marina, the satellite area for the Virginia Beach Fishing Center. Little Creek is close, but right over the city line in Norfolk.

I'll have to check and see what the depth is in the inlet right now,  they have been dredging, but the storm may have silted it up a bit.

You'll be in sight from my front porch if you come on down here.

Any help on depths would be appreciated!  As long as the marina has diesel....I will even Jerry jug fill the tanks if needed...anchoring is no problem for us.  If you can see us from your house we will have you out for an adult beverage!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Any help on depths would be appreciated!  As long as the marina has diesel....I will even Jerry jug fill the tanks if needed...anchoring is no problem for us.  If you can see us from your house we will have you out for an adult beverage! 

I would duck into Little Creek just inside the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Good stop for fuel and supplies, deep and quick in ad out  . 64' air draft and high water you better stay away from the waterway. 

14 minutes ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Current report is 8 or 9 feet for the inlet at MLW. About 7' inside in anchorage

On 9/17/2018 at 5:08 AM, jack_sparrow said:

12027064-mmmain.jpg

washed-up-sign.jpg

WTF!! Never heard that one. 

55 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

I would duck into Little Creek just inside the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Good stop for fuel and supplies, deep and quick in ad out  . 64' air draft and high water you better stay away from the waterway. 

Thanks for the heads up!  That helps to open up our options heading down.  Agreed.....the waterway is going to be a mess, especially with our spar height.  When we were getting out of the area we passed under the Pungo Ferry fixed bridge.....my whip VHS antenna looked like a 'curb feeler' as we knocked the girders going through....

If you go inside, Little Creek is more on the way, if you go outside, Rudee is more direct.

Flo is just about over.

Cold front is squashing the last of it right now.

US Navy came steaming into Norfolk yesterday.

and all the moorings off Cape Charles have tankers waiting to head north.

Great to watch on Marine Traffic.

Hopefully this is the last of this year's hurricane season and we can get to repairing all the carnage.

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear Brown said:

Agreed.  That's why Rudee makes the most sense....

I have a fond memory of Rudee Inlet!!  On the Shelter Island 50, "Longevity", we left Rudee at 5:30 AM.  pulled into Atlantic City for fuel around 11:00, and left a half an hour later.  Motored slowly through the Shinnecock Locks, I think it was in western Long Island, and arrived at the Sag Harbor YC at 2:30.  This could not have been done on I-95, even with a police escort.  The boats nickname was 50/50.  50 feet on deck, 50 KPH, and 50 Gallons per hour 2 X, with Mann Turbo-Diesels putting out 1400 HP each, driving surface-piercing props in Patented "Power-Vent" tunnels under the hull, where all four large exhausts dumped out into.  Twisty bits of the ICW was like instrument flying a plane, constant scanning between plotter, depth and engine guages, pretty intense, but a real blast!!