Sign in to follow this  
Passport111

Sourcing panel switches

A few of the original (34 year old) rocker D.C. rocker switches in my electrical panel were functioning intermittently and/or their "on" illumination was no longer working. 

So one project last winter was to rewire a good portion of the panel and install new switches.  It took me a while to find a drop-in replacement but I found these.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Illuminated-Rocker-Switches/p_791339.h_791341

73375_primary_225px.jpg?v=20180201154303

They snapped right in but I was unhappy that the illumination was incandescent.  I'm even more disappointed that after only 5-6 months of use, the illumination of 4 of the 14 is not functioning, and 1 of the switches doesn't work at all.

Does anyone know of a switch in this form factor (1/2" x 1" mounting hole) that is more durable and has LED illumination?  IVe searched the usual suspects but it seems the only other form fit replacement is AC.

Have you checked Mouser and DigiKey? If they exist, one of them will have them.

@weightless Thanks gents but yes I check both of those (usual suspects).  Your search returned the same I found a year ago.  Further filters for 12V and LED leaves 6 options.  https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Illuminated-Switches/Illuminated-Rocker-Switches/_/N-cbt5j?P=1yrmuzbZ1y95lgmZ1yzs91gZ1z0z1hd

Unfortunately these "Contura" type are all too big, .83" x 1.45".  The only form fit with LED illumination are AC.

I did a google search with the terms below and got this result:

LED rectangular snap-in switch 27.60mm x 13.80mm

This part from DigiKey seems to fit the bill. This is the same part that weightless found, what's wrong with it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonduster said:

I did a google search with the terms below and got this result:

LED rectangular snap-in switch 27.60mm x 13.80mm

This part from DigiKey seems to fit the bill. This is the same part that weightless found, what's wrong with it?

Thanks!  I think that will work.  I don't need the IP ratings but it can't hurt. I never tried searching metric dimensions.  

Except that 27.6mm doesn’t equal one inch...

Doesn't equal any other common inch measurement either ....

Buy the ones that are close and enlarge the hole in the panel with a Dremel tool and few little burrs?

What country is the boat or panel from?  Is there a brand on the panel anywhere and if so can you find where they were commonly sold?

Might seem a stupid question but I remember walking into a bathroom in Italy and seeing a particular style of switch that was very common in a brand of power boats for a period in the mid 90s, not a drop in replacement with anything here.   It was in a marine shop so I thought the owner had used a marine one, I excitedly asked him about it and if he had any spares.  He rolled his eyes and we went to a hardware shop, I went home with a pile of them in my luggage. 

Baring that, make a template off one, scribe a line on each hole off the template, file it out.  I prefer a coarse flat file vs dremel for enlarging rectangular holes nicely. 

The boat was built in Denmark in the mid 80s.  The panel seems custom but I figured most switches like this are nominal sizes and ubiquitous across applications.  I guess not or maybe they were but the industry has migrated with the largest producers, e.g. Carlington.

The ones I found on Del City were literally identical.  However did not have tinned plated connectors (not the failure mode) so I figured I replace them with something better when I found it.  I certainly didn't think they would last less than a year (some probably had less then 20 cycles).

I considered having a whole new panel made but that is expensive and I wanted to keep the original look of the boat.  It is probably overkill too.  Only a few of the old switches were intermittent or had bad lights and now I'm the same or worse off.  

One problem I may have with enlarging the holes is the over crowding of the switch faces across the whole panel.  I'll have to give it a more detailed look.

BTW- I don't have Loran.  Removed sticker.

12v panel.jpg

18 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Welcome to the 20th century!

No kidding, I can't believe I missed that.  I usually prefer metric.  I think I measured the old ones with my Standard calipers and got stuck in a thought rut.  

4 hours ago, Passport111 said:

No kidding, I can't believe I missed that.  I usually prefer metric.  I think I measured the old ones with my Standard calipers and got stuck in a thought rut.  

You could try Seadog 420441-1 or 420446-1

They make them in SPST(illuminated) and SPDT(but no illumination).  Cut out is 1-1/8x1/2" so a little file work with a narrow file on one end of the slot at worst. 

Rated 15A@ 12V, brass not tinned blades, but a little corrosion protection spray(boeshield, terminal protector or merc corrosion guard) after install and before closing up the panel should help with them staying functional. 

You might search these guys,

https://www.alliedelec.com/switches/rocker-switches/?category=3|2510419/2737097/2737110&n8461=Rectangle,Rectangular Rocker&n10002=Illuminated

They tend to have a little higher quality if you want to upgrade, some are IP67 tinned connectors 100000 duty cycle, I think its 8500 rocker switches so probably one that will work.  The hole size is most likely a DIN standard dimension.

• Like 1

You can design and have a custom panel built easily and inexpensively. Download the free app and give it a go. frontpanelexpress.com

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

You can design and have a custom panel built easily and inexpensively. Download the free app and give it a go. frontpanelexpress.com

While we're spending the OP's hypothetical money, breakers with LED indicators or illuminated switches and and fuses?

42 minutes ago, weightless said:

While we're spending the OP's hypothetical money, breakers with LED indicators or illuminated switches and and fuses?

Breakers and colour coded LEDs while you're at it. Not just all boring orange.  I like green for things that should be on much of the time(navigation etc) standard orange for don't care, and red for power wasters/shouldn't be active unless in use eg macerator pumps.  Since we're being hypothetical.

The existing panel looks pretty nice not much to improve on.  It's hard to beat the simplicity of the fuse.  It looks like the panel has multiple switched applications with fuses and several direct or remotely switched applications with fuses, assuming that's what the black knobs are.  The foot print is nice and compact as well.  I have spent a lot of time working on Skandahoovian marine electrical stuff from that era and it tends to be of a pretty high quality, much of the modern replacement stuff regardless of origin is lacking in quality.