9.2C

Harken Unit 1 roll pin connectors

Crane operator lowering my mast lost control of it and bent the furler foil like a pretzel. this broke several foil connectors. It is a 1987 unit 1 and the connectors are of the roll pin type. Harken discontinued part long ago. So far, haven't found them in used stores. Could also use a foil length or two. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to source some?

Any help would be much appreciated, as it means I do not have to buy a new furler.

Thanks

Crane operator buys new furler. Unless you get really lucky scrounging around boatyards/rigging shops/used gear stores that foil is so old it's unobtanium.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Crane operator buys new furler. Unless you get really lucky scrounging around boatyards/rigging shops/used gear stores that foil is so old it's unobtanium.

+1

Although roll pins are probably a McMaster order.

HW

He's looking for the foil connector pieces & the foils themselves, tho.

Roll pin parts are NLA, but you might scrounge up Unit 1 MK1, MK2, or MK3 foils, connectors, and feeders, which are available a replacements and will work on that furler. Going to have to replace the headstay too. 

Let's see - 1987 makes it 31 years old. Time for a new furler. 

Bam Miller

I know a guy in Camden who has parts from his old unit 1 roll pin furler that he salvaged when he got a new one.

foils and connectors

Somebody with a pull off may be your only hope. I replace a furler a couple of years ago and could not give away the old one (Hood SeaFurl). Yard finally offered to take it for the season, keep it by the mast rack and recycle the metal if they couldn’t give it away. It ended up being cut up and recycled. 

Only takers for a several generations out of date furler parts are folks like your friend and not enough of them to make it worth a rigger’s time to salvage and stock old parts.