JojoFruji

Racing/family dinghy

I am looking for a boat that’s less than 15k, can be used for competitive youth racing, and I can take people with very little experience out. I’m in SoCal and our marina isn’t to big, so primarily ocean sailing. On medium to light days could you sail a Nacra 15 with the skipper on trapeze and two people on the trampoline? I would love to sail a 29er but I am afraid it is too tippy to take less experienced sailors out. 

OK, here is my recommendation for you: Flying Junior

California is the state with a number of very competitive Club FJ regattas, the boat is well within your budget, and you can easily take one or two unexperienced friends for an afternoon sail.

The University of Iowa Sailing Club has a fleet of FJs and uses them for learn to sail classes. One instructor sails with two newbies. The big thwart/bench in the middle of the boat can accommodate two big adults and the skipper is in the back. An FJ becomes surprisingly stable with additional crew weight.

I currently race CFJs. I was looking for something with a bit more speed, but thank you for the suggestion!

RS200, got the fun of the 29er, but you can take novice crews out with you, and even do some racing with them. 

4 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

RS200, got the fun of the 29er, but you can take novice crews out with you, and even do some racing with them. 

I will definitely check this out. Thank you!

33 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

Is the fireball safe for novice crew? I’m not sure my family will be very game for the trapeze. I’m not even sure if it exists, but I’m looking for a boat that can be semi tame on medium to light winds and high performance when you want it to be. I might be on a wild goose chase. Rs200 looks pretty good. Maybe I would be better suited for a catamaran

1 hour ago, JojoFruji said:

Is the fireball safe for novice crew? I’m not sure my family will be very game for the trapeze. I’m not even sure if it exists, but I’m looking for a boat that can be semi tame on medium to light winds and high performance when you want it to be. I might be on a wild goose chase. Rs200 looks pretty good. Maybe I would be better suited for a catamaran

Honestly there are probably better options. I just found that video and was looking for an excuse to share it. I learned how to crew on the fireball which I think is a very fun and generally affordable boat to get into but it’s probably not as comfortable as other options especially if you aren’t using the trap

20 hours ago, JojoFruji said:

I am looking for a boat that’s less than 15k, can be used for competitive youth racing, and I can take people with very little experience out. I’m in SoCal and our marina isn’t to big, so primarily ocean sailing. On medium to light days could you sail a Nacra 15 with the skipper on trapeze and two people on the trampoline? I would love to sail a 29er but I am afraid it is too tippy to take less experienced sailors out. 

According to the South California Youth Yacht Racing Assoc  http://www.scyyra.org/, for "competitive youth racing" it looks like you have three choices - CFJ, 420 and 29er.

16 hours ago, JojoFruji said:

RS 500 & RS Quest

Weta

really

I guess we need to know just how important competitive youth sailing is.

My circumstances have changed. Now, I believe I want something you can really fly on when you have have willing crew (trapeze possibly), but can maybe take an extra person or two so it’s a bit more tame for my family and non-sailing friends. Also, it will be used for primarily sailing in unprotected waters. Still under 15k. Open to a used boat and multihulls if they would be a better fit than a dinghy. Any suggestions?

What is sailed at clubs in your area? 

What wind strengths will you typically sail in? 

I believe that a 2000 (formerly Laser 2000) could work, or an RS400. Neither has a trapeze but both have kites. The 400 is a racer with a powerful rig.  The 2000 needs a decent wind to get exciting. I've seen them both sailed quite a bit and think they would work for you but have not actually sailed either myself, so take this advice with a generous pinch of salt!

Cheers,

W.

5 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

What is sailed at clubs in your area? 

What wind strengths will you typically sail in? 

I believe that a 2000 (formerly Laser 2000) could work, or an RS400. Neither has a trapeze but both have kites. The 400 is a racer with a powerful rig.  The 2000 needs a decent wind to get exciting. I've seen them both sailed quite a bit and think they would work for you but have not actually sailed either myself, so take this advice with a generous pinch of salt!

Cheers,

W.

I've sailed the RS-400......loved it. It's considered a bit heavy and old-fashioned by the true skiff/49er crowd, but it's a boat with a good bit of horsepower, good ergonomics and I could sail it with my wife when neither of us are super-athletes. If there was a class of them here, I'd have an RS-400 in a flash

FB- Doug

Lots of great boats that meet your requirements.  Some suggested so far are not real popular in So Cal. What harbor do you sail out of? How far are you willing to travel? If you are not willing to travel or travel far see what is popular in your harbor or ones on either side of your location. If you are willing to travel (but these may be close to you), check out Alamitos or San Diego Yacht Club. Both have exceptional small boat programs. You will find everything from Olympic programs to Lido 14's. You can go to their websites to get an idea of the different classes and how often regattas are held.

I’m in Los Angeles, so I’ve got marina del Ray, king harbor, and I guess Long Beach. I guess it would be primarily be handicap racing against small keelboats and some dinghys in the ocean. Most of the time it will be just for fun in the ocean. 15 knots is typical, but 20 is not super unusual. 

Keelboats (big or small) will race one design or PHRF. I'm sure someone lets keelboats and dinghies race together but never seen it. There is not a good handicap system for such different boats. Dinghies and catamarans almost always race one design. That is why you want to see what is popular in your area. There are some races where you will see different clases of dinghies or catamarans racing in the same race. That is usually not by choice but is the way it is if you cannot get enough boats on the starting line. Better than no racing.

Your budget of $15k is reasonable for many of the boats that meet your needs. They would all be used boats but depending on which class you select, there is a potential for being very competitive. 

Look at California Yacht Club in MDR for what is popular in that area for dinghies. It has been awhile since I lived and raced out of MDR. Chances are things have not changed much. You will find some dinghy racing in MDR but if your serious, you will end up in Long Beach or San Diego for the races. Does not mean you cannot practice, day sail or maybe even an occasional race out of MDR or King Harbor. Just historically those harbors do much better getting keelboats out on the race course. Maybe things have changed and you will hear from someone with current knowledge now that we know your specific area.

Good Luck

On 9/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, JojoFruji said:

That would be the Flying Dutchman. 505 too except not as big a cockpit. Doesn't sail 3 as well. Dutchman does. Too bad aren't so many around now.

Weta:

budget, check

safe for family, check

OD class in Cali, check

ripper singlehanded and in breeze. Oh yeah

simple to rig, check

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:48 AM, JojoFruji said:

My circumstances have changed. Now, I believe I want something you can really fly on when you have have willing crew (trapeze possibly), but can maybe take an extra person or two so it’s a bit more tame for my family and non-sailing friends. Also, it will be used for primarily sailing in unprotected waters. Still under 15k. Open to a used boat and multihulls if they would be a better fit than a dinghy. Any suggestions?

A cat fits this bill far better than an RS200 or 400. Something around 16-18ft. 

Sorry I don’t know what cats there are in California, but there must be a number of Nacras or Hobies that would suit. Best try the multihull forum. 

48 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

Sorry I don’t know what cats there are in California, but there must be a number of Nacras or Hobies that would suit. Best try the multihull forum. 

There was (10 years ago anyway) still a decent Hobie scene. No idea about today. 

But the Weta (Trimaran) is active.

Rippin: 

maxresdefault.jpg

and chillin:

WetaY_600x.jpg?v=1477319129

Hobie or Nacra might not be bad options if you want to go with a catamaran. There used to be a great regatta off Dockwiler Beach near MDR. One the plus side, fast sailing, single hand or add a crew or two with minimal loss of speed (obviously weight matters) and no yacht club required to race.

For fun I looked up regattas for Hobie last year. There were 6 last year in So Cal and if you will go north as far as SF, you can add 15 more races. So plenty of races within an easy drive. 

If really interested I would look up the So Cal feet captain and see which model has the best turn out. Most models well with in your budget. In fact if you get a 16 or 18 you can get brand new sails, make any repairs and still be well under budget. Only the newest and latest would probably break your budget.

Weta might be a option as well. Try and get out and sail some of these boats. One of them will feel right to you.

Check out the RS Quest. Has asymmetric and trapeze options, but tame enough for kids.

Fleets at community sailing centers in San Diego, Newport Beach, Marina del Rey, Santa Barbara

• Like 1

Look at raidersailboats.com. At 125 you would be limited to about 13/15 solo, a little higher with the jib furled. With equal weight crew, you would fly!

planing reach ellis.JPG

Since you're in SoCal, the Lido 14 is the hot ticket if you can stick to the harbor. Lots of action at ABYC, and in Newport as well. 

With your budget of 15k the Santana 20 is a great option and can be had for considerably less, good for 3-4 people,  semi-strong west coast class with a great Nationals regatta. It is technically a keelboat, but damn is a shit ton of fun to sail.  Great in the harbor and ocean. 

20 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the JY15 and 14

I think most people appreciate having knees that don't hurt.  The Jy15 is a bigger pain box than a Laser is.

If someone wanted, they could put cushions in the 14 on the seats, as for the 15, comfort is not intended, fun, simplicity and speed are (relatively when it comes to speed) 

If you think you would like a 29er, just get a 49er while your at it, novices will always learn, used 49ers can run as low as 4K or lower depending on condition